• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galdelico

Cross-posting from the scanline thread, some OSSC (+ LG MU67) goodness:

SonicWoooo_zpsx9i6tr6n.png

(Sonic The Hedgehog - MD)

BKBlaze_zpsihfvvyzh.png

(Bare Knuckle - MD)

BariArmBoss1_zpsvsio7xxe.png

(Bari Arm - MCD)

What software are you guys using to record footage off your PC? I was trying to record some PPSSPP footage, but using OBS Studio really slowed it down, which was surprising, since the machine is an overclocked 2500k. Plus the footage it did record was terrible, it's like it recorded at 60 frames a minute not 60 frames per second. Maybe I just need to capture the footage on my main machine which is an overclocked 4790k.

Watching normalGAF talk about scaling and the difference between 1080p screens and 4k ones...

Almost as bad as the time I found out most of them set their TV to "cool" color temp.

I lold all the way through the first page of that thread and never went back. There's absolutely zero understanding of how displays work.

What software are you guys using to record footage off your PC? I was trying to record some PPSSPP footage, but using OBS Studio really slowed it down, which was surprising, since the machine is an overclocked 2500k. Plus the footage it did record was terrible, it's like it recorded at 60 frames a minute not 60 frames per second. Maybe I just need to capture the footage on my main machine which is an overclocked 4790k.

I use OBS and a USB3HDCAP. I've messed with the settings on the hardware itself and in OBS and found it works quite well after some tuning.

RedFox85

I got brave last night and decided to correct the geometry on my Trinitron.

Feels good, picture looks allot better just had to look up some guides online/write everything down. I got lucky, only really had to adjust the LPIN and UPIN as there was slight bending in the bottom corner. Then I adjusted the HPOS which is basically just centering the image on the screen, looks allot better now and I'm happy I took a shot at it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Feels good, picture looks allot better just had to look up some guides online/write everything down. I got lucky, only really had to adjust the LPIN and UPIN as there was slight bending in the bottom corner. Then I adjusted the HPOS which is basically just centering the image on the screen, looks allot better now and I'm happy I took a shot at it.

link those guides.

Producer

my trinitron has a slight tilt, maybe i should attempt to fix it

Kawika

awwww shit I might be coming up on a BVM-20F1U tomorrow at a semi-decent price... If so I'll be selling off my PVM-20M4U right after.

Those M4Us are great. I wouldn't recommend selling it. I still have mine and if anything goes destination fucked on your BVM you have a back up. My 2 cents. Also, if you hold onto it for a few more years that $200-300 PVM might got for $1K.

TeaJay

I'm inclined to declare that it's pretty much impossible to get perfect geometry on a PVM/CRT, so try to make good general settings and accept them. Sometimes the picture is in a different place between different games on the same console, so personally I won't be arsed to set it every time I turn on a different console.

Galdelico

I'm inclined to declare that it's pretty much impossible to get perfect geometry on a PVM/CRT, so try to make good general settings and accept them. Sometimes the picture is in a different place between different games on the same console, so personally I won't be arsed to set it every time I turn on a different console.
That's what eventually brought me to embrace the digital way, and go full OSSC. Being finally able to enjoy pixel-perfect geometry is much more of a personal plus, compared to having to deal with the shortcomings of my PC monitors.

RedFox85

For those questioning just what I did, I just used this page as a basic guide: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/697520/Sony-Kv-20fs12.html?page=25#manual the model number is different from my TV but it takes ambiguous code names like "UPIN" and "LPIN" and gives them ALLOT more context, apparently across Trinitron CRT's the service menu adjustments are named largely the same - the pictures were also a help!

My advice is, don't be afraid.. there is literally nothing you can mess up as long as you follow these 3 simple rules:

1: Familiarize yourself with the controls for navigation and making changes, do not make a mistake.. write down what it takes to navigate the menu (usually 2 seperate buttons) spend time just navigating the menu with those two buttons. On my particular set 1 button scrolled through a category while the other button changed the overall category. After you are comfortable with this you can move onto actual editing of values.

2: WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING. I cannot stress this enough, don't even THINK about pressing one of the value change buttons before you have physically written down the name of the setting and the exact value. For instance on my TV "LPIN" would have 2 settings, one on the left and one on the right I made sure to write down both of these values before making a change.

3: Adjust one thing at a time, you can also make adjustments while an item is being displayed on the screen. If you have a test pattern of some sort that is great, if you do not have access to something like that then you can try to do it with one of your games. For me I ended up using one of my games, but my problems were not that severe, so it wasn't hard to eyeball it this way.

I think as long as you follow those rules you have nothing to be afraid of. If you have questions about how to access this menu on your TV then Google is your friend, just type in the model number and the words "service menu". I don't think this is necessarily going to be able to correct EVERY issue a CRT might have, but if you are like me and you just had 1 or 2 nagging flaws on your set this is the path to correction. Good luck!

Those M4Us are great. I wouldn't recommend selling it. I still have mine and if anything goes destination fucked on your BVM you have a back up. My 2 cents. Also, if you hold onto it for a few more years that $200-300 PVM might got for $1K.
The BVMs were both shit. One was from 1996, the other was a D20F1U from 2005... no control units there, the older one automatically saw my NES but couldn't hold sync, and then the 2005 one, which was missing its side covers said "initializing" as I turned it on but I couldn't switch inputs to the analog RGB one without the control unit, so I wasn't sure if it worked or not, and it was in awful cosmetic shape anyways... Top part was dented, dirty as hell and, again, no side covers. I chickened out since I couldn't test it, they wanted $300 for it too.

Sticking with the PVM-20M4U for now. :|

BTails

Big news for Everdrive N8 owners: There is now a VRC7 mapper that supports the expansion audio! You can now play Lagrange Point!

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3374.msg51018#msg51018

YES! This is amazing, and the only thing I regret about giving up my Analogue NT. Definitely trying this when I get home.

I have the Lagrange Point soundtrack on vinyl, and it's amazing. It'll be fun to hear the songs within the context of the game.

TeaJay

Yes, but I can't get it to work. Same with that latest version. I have the latest OS from Krikzz, put the mapper in the card, but all I can hear in-game when I play Lagrange Point are sound effects and a drum solo during the first fight.

Dunno what the problem is, I can get Akumajo Densetsu expansion audio working just fine and was able to use a custom mapper for a NTSC-U patched Gimmick to get the sound effects working there too.

e: I just tried with the original japanese rom instead of translated one and I get music. So the translation screws it up for some reason? Has anyone gotten a translated Lagrange point working on the N8 with music?

This has existed for a while, no?

Not that long.. The first release of the VRC7 Everdrive mapper with sound support was on June 17th, and it's only with the latest release last night that the sound mix is decent.
Yes, but I can't get it to work. Same with that latest version. I have the latest OS from Krikzz, put the mapper in the card, but all I can hear in-game when I play Lagrange Point are sound effects and a drum solo during the first fight.

Dunno what the problem is, I can get Akumajo Densetsu expansion audio working just fine and was able to use a custom mapper for a NTSC-U patched Gimmick to get the sound effects working there too.

e: I just tried with the original japanese rom instead of translated one and I get music. So the translation screws it up for some reason? Has anyone gotten a translated Lagrange point working on the N8 with music?
TeaJay, make sure you have version 1.01 of the translation for Lagrange Point. Works fine for me. I take it you're also placing the MAPROUT.BIN file in its proper folder?

TeaJay

Not that long.. The first release of the VRC7 Everdrive mapper with sound support was on June 17th, and it's only with the latest release last night that the sound mix is decent.

TeaJay, make sure you have version 1.01 of the translation for Lagrange Point. Works fine for me. I take it you're also placing the MAPROUT.BIN file in its proper folder?

Yes, maprout.bin replaces the old one and the mapper goes into maps folder.

I am using 1.01 from romhacking.net and my rom is from the goodnes romset. If you got a working translated one could you send me a link so I can test it?

e: Thanks - it seems like the smokemonster set works.

The music is really good too. Kinda unlike anything I've heard on the NES/Famicom. It's not a wonder since the VRC7 chip was unique to this game?

Yeah, the VRC7 chip makes the NES's audio capabilities close to the Sega Genesis. It's pretty remarkable and yes, only used in Lagrange Point.

televator

Yes, maprout.bin replaces the old one and the mapper goes into maps folder.

I am using 1.01 from romhacking.net and my rom is from the goodnes romset. If you got a working translated one could you send me a link so I can test it?

e: Thanks - it seems like the smokemonster set works.

The music is really good too. Kinda unlike anything I've heard on the NES/Famicom. It's not a wonder since the VRC7 chip was unique to this game?

That geometry damages me inside.

TeaJay

That geometry damages me inside.

It's a pain in the ass for sure, but what can you do. Usually I just use a bit more overscan. There's just no way I can edit the screen borders on both sides to be perfectly straight, even though there are various amp settings. It's just not gonna happen, and I've tried.

But like we've talked in various threads, sometimes different games on the same consoles have the image in a different place. I tend to use a general setting that usually works on most.

BTails

i don't know what that game is but it sounds exciting!

Konami made Sci-Fi JRPG on Famicom, where they basically crammed an FM chip inside the cart for Genesis-quality music. I haven't played the game, though I hear it can be very tedious due to an extremely high encounter rate.

The OST is superb, which is why everyone is excited about this new custom mapper for the Everdrive. ShiptoShore records actually released the soundtrack on vinyl last year, and it's probably my most played Video Game OST.

IrishNinja

Konami made Sci-Fi JRPG on Famicom, where they basically crammed an FM chip inside the cart for Genesis-quality music. I haven't played the game, though I hear it can be very tedious due to an extremely high encounter rate.

The OST is superb, which is why everyone is excited about this new custom mapper for the Everdrive. ShiptoShore records actually released the soundtrack on vinyl last year, and it's probably my most played Video Game OST.

that sounds cool - high encounter rate aside. any idea how long it is?

this YT video gave me some phantasy star vibes

Madao

Is the OSSC worth picking up if I have a Framemeister?

yeah. depending on what you're looking for, you could even ditch the FM, especially now that compatibility from the line 2x,3x, 4x, etc. modes has improved a lot.

for me it's a lot better than the FM as far as functionality goes. the way the inputs are set up could use some work but the device's performance is pretty good.

I'd say yes I find it's a much cleaner image than the FM and no input lag even though I never really felt it on the FM

Try beating the final boss in Jackal on a Framemeister after playing on a CRT for the first few tries. Only then will you understand how crippling the Framemeister's lag can be on certain games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom