• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

otapnam

I'm really hoping once they finish that work on the median on 880 things will improve a little at least.

What i find to be problem mostly is the amount of time it takes to clear an accident. It's all the report taking and Lane closures that's holding everyone up, the worst when it's just a fender bender

TFGB

From all the cities I’ve visited in the US, I think SF is still my favourite. I usually stay at Fairmont Heritage Place at Ghirardelli Square when I’m there which seems to be a good base as it isn’t in the thick of it all. I do like my chocolate so rather apt to stay in a converted chocolate factory lol.

I do enjoy my food, and I’ve had some superb meals in and around the area over recent years. I remember spending the night before the Foie Gras law came into effect at a lovely little restaurant called La Folie. Not sure if it’s still there now?

I really enjoyed driving out to Napa on those country roads to The French Laundry & Auberge du Soleil which had incredible views! I could quite happily live there.

I find the Castro a great place for a few bevvies and we’re always made to feel so welcome there, even though some of the sights are a bit eye-watering even by my standards. (You couldn’t get away with some of that here in the UK!). It was fascinating visiting places that I’d watched on Armistead Maupin’s “Tales of the City” years previous too.

Lively, friendly, cosmopolitan place to visit.

I frequent the same routes as you do, trypto. Before I go on any kind of spirited drive I gotta get new tires.

There is quite a few BayGAF members who frequent AutoGAF so I think it'd be cool to set up a car meet.

Yeah, Bay Area has a ton of amazing roads to drive. Aside from 9/35/84, there's a bunch of others off the beaten path too.

We should set up a cruise/lunch.

CA-152 starting from Highway 1, past 101, and ending at I-5 can be a fun drive in the right car. Once you pass I-5 it becomes mostly straight so don't bother.

I'd be interested, but my E34 is running rich. Should have it fixed in the coming week.

I'd be down for some bay area cruise :)

It looks like there's some interest in a drive. I know most of you who do love driving and live in the Bay Area have probably already done the Highway 9, Skyline, CA-1 drives so I thought we could try something different if there's enough interest for a morning to afternoon meet up and drive. I don't mind organizing everything if people are interested.

The path I'm thinking of is a ”fun run" from Mines Road in Livermore to Mt. Hamilton in San Jose. It focuses on the East Bay hills and will last about 2-3 hours. Some of you mentioned earlier hours so there's less traffic, so I'm thinking meeting at 9AM in Livermore, then heading south on Mines Road where we can enjoy remote foothill wild-lands and meadows, then we'll stop on the top of Mount Hamilton to get a view of the South Bay and then head down to San Jose for lunch.

Here's a map of the route in case you are all curious about it.

Map Route of Mines Road to Mt. Hamilton and San Jose

This route is great if you like driving and enjoy:
  • Twisty, curvy roads
  • Elevation changes on your route
  • Changing California scenery (meadows, foothills, hills)
  • South Bay Area view from a high elevation (Lick's Observatory)

If there's enough interesting, then I'm thinking we can set this drive up as soon as next Saturday (September 30, 2017).

Let me know, if people and their friends are interested, then I don't mind organizing things and meeting up with people.

That road is SUPER twisty turny as a note! My husband and I went up to the observatory, then realized the other side would take a century to get to considering all the squigglies!

If your power steering isn't perfect, be aware you're in a for an arm workout. Still worth the trek up there for certain though if you haven't been! It reminded me of the WA foothills.

That road is SUPER twisty turny as a note! My husband and I went up to the observatory, then realized the other side would take a century to get to considering all the squigglies!

If your power steering isn't perfect, be aware you're in a for an arm workout. Still worth the trek up there for certain though if you haven't been! It reminded me of the WA foothills.

You and your husband are welcome to join us. It'd be cool having a small NeoGAF meet up aside from just discussing games!

I don't think I'll have tires by next week lol

Haha. No worries, we can always do it an upcoming week, too. I was just gauging interest. I don't think people will mind if it's the following weekend or whenever. As long as people are comfortable, we drive safe, we respect bikers and don't do anything dangerous to endanger our group or others, then it'll be fine.

Plus, I doubt we'll be driving like cars in Fast and Furious movies so unless your tires are completely out of treads, you'll be fine. I'm imagining that people will have cars that are meant for every day driving, not track cars. I think people will just want to enjoy a nice drive, meet up with fellow GAF members in person, and just do something outside the norm.

You and your husband are welcome to join us. It'd be cool having a small NeoGAF meet up aside from just discussing games!

I don't know that I'm willing to brave that hill again so soon. The problem I have is I occasionally get motion sickness when I'm not driving. I've been driving quite a bit lately that I'd probably have him do it and yeah... :(

I still highly recommend it for those of you out there who aren't made of glass!

v1lla21

Haha. No worries, we can always do it an upcoming week, too. I was just gauging interest. I don't think people will mind if it's the following weekend or whenever. As long as people are comfortable, we drive safe, we respect bikers and don't do anything dangerous to endanger our group or others, then it'll be fine.

Plus, I doubt we'll be driving like cars in Fast and Furious movies so unless your tires are completely out of treads, you'll be fine. I'm imagining that people will have cars that are meant for every day driving, not track cars. I think people will just want to enjoy a nice drive, meet up with fellow GAF members in person, and just do something outside the norm.
Oh no I'm not gonna be driving fast or anything around other people. I only do that on my own time and when there's no one around me, just that my tires are pretty worn out.

I'm definitely down for the drive. I got a few people I could invite too. we could also maybe look into the Mt. umunhum route as well.

I don't know that I'm willing to brave that hill again so soon. The problem I have is I occasionally get motion sickness when I'm not driving. I've been driving quite a bit lately that I'd probably have him do it and yeah... :(

I still highly recommend it for those of you out there who aren't made of glass!

It is indeed a great route. And of course, no problem. Whenever we plan it, you and your husband are still more than welcome to join.

Oh no I'm not gonna be driving fast or anything around other people. I only do that on my own time and when there's no one around me, just that my tires are pretty worn out.

I'm definitely down for the drive. I got a few people I could invite too. we could also maybe look into the Mt. umunhum route as well.

That sounds good! The more the merrier. I've never been up Mt. Umunhum, so if you know a route up there, we can definitely do something up there instead.

M52B28

Banned
A NeoGaf car meet.. in the SF BayGaf thread. Wow..

You all think there's anyone in the Automotive thread that would like to join in? Anyways, yeah, I'd like to join. My car is still running rich and a part from eBay that connects my air box to the throttle body has warped and cracked due to heat.

The best thing for me to do right now is to go to pick-n-pull and try and find a moderately used one.

If I can't find anything, I'll join anyways, but my car is a blubbering loud mess.

A NeoGaf car meet.. in the SF BayGaf thread. Wow..

You all think there's anyone in the Automotive thread that would like to join in? Anyways, yeah, I'd like to join. My car is still running rich and a part from eBay that connects my air box to the throttle body has warped and cracked due to heat.

The best thing for me to do right now is to go to pick-n-pull and try and find a moderately used one.

If I can't find anything, I'll join anyways, but my car is a blubbering loud mess.

No worries. I'd definitely get your car into shape as much as possible so you can enjoy it. But if you prefer then one of us can probably give you a ride.

I actually invited people in the AutoGAF thread too. However not everyone in that thread is from here. So I invite them to take a look at this thread too. We'll see if they're interested still.

I won't be able to make it next Saturday :( Depending on the amount of cars, the Mt. Hamilton route to/from San Jose can get very crowded due to the extremely tight corners and narrow roads to the Lick Observatory.

I'd suggest something easier/friendlier since it's a new group of people. Something a little more wide open and options for people to turn around if needed.

Have fun and be safe if you're all going next Saturday.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
What... lol.

Me too :( one day, one day.

Yeah, They were filming a dockers social media ad. They asked me random questions for about 10 minutes after I signed a release and then offered free dockers from a rack if I'd drop my pants. I had some long pants-like boxers on so I was down, and walked away with a free new pair of pants.

hahaha. I was just talking with a friend how she was looking for someone to walk her around on a leash at this. Pride and Halloween have really become tame compared to their past selves though.

Btw, if anyone would like to tag alongbut maybe doesn't feel like driving, I can definitely carry passengers.

I can carry one person, too.

I won't be able to make it next Saturday :( Depending on the amount of cars, the Mt. Hamilton route to/from San Jose can get very crowded due to the extremely tight corners and narrow roads to the Lick Observatory.

I'd suggest something easier/friendlier since it's a new group of people. Something a little more wide open and options for people to turn around if needed.

Have fun and be safe if you're all going next Saturday.

It's looking like it won't be next weekend since the replies above are not a certainty yet. Perhaps we can do it the weekend after or sometime in October. But we can talk about it until people are comfortable with a route, date, and plan. Also, you're probably right, it should be a more friendly route since it's a new group of people and I don't know how comfortable people are driving.

Buddy said the Mt. Umunhum route is pretty quick. Like 30 minutes

I haven't looked into this route yet, but does your friend have a route he can tell you about? I can look into it as well if your friend has some favorite start and end points.

I don't have a car....

more like I do have one but it isn't cool :(

That shouldn't be a problem. I can take one person and v1lla21 is also considerate enough to offer as well.

hahaha. I was just talking with a friend how she was looking for someone to walk her around on a leash at this. Pride and Halloween have really become tame compared to their past selves though.

The Pride parade itself this year was really tame and corporate as fuck. It's kinda weird seeing Netflix, Facebook, AirBnB floats and then right after you see the more local and more XXX rated parade floats.

Then again I've seen some crazy shit in the Tenderloin Pride block party

Checked out Mt. Umunhum today and that was a mistake. They have 53 parking spots on the top and depending on if someone is leaving or not the rangers will turn you away. Person behind me was allowed to go all the way up, I got sent back down the mountain. It was a nice ride up and down though and was just a little drive before going to the madhouse of Costco.

The views up there are really something else.

Checked out Mt. Umunhum today and that was a mistake. They have 53 parking spots on the top and depending on if someone is leaving or not the rangers will turn you away. Person behind me was allowed to go all the way up, I got sent back down the mountain. It was a nice ride up and down though and was just a little drive before going to the madhouse of Costco.

I just drove up there this morning to check it out and yea...not a good time to go for a group drive up there haha. It's very tight, slow, and bumpy all the way up Hicks Road. People have been waiting for this and the Sierra Azul preserve to open up for the past 50+ years now, so it'll be crowded for a while. I wouldn't suggest at all if going for just a drive.

SbLzauY.jpg

I just drove up there this morning to check it out and yea...not a good time to go for a group drive up there haha. It's very tight, slow, and bumpy all the way up Hicks Road. People have been waiting for this and the Sierra Azul preserve to open up for the past 50+ years now, so it'll be crowded for a while. I wouldn't suggest at all if going for just a drive.

Well that blows :/
Maybe just a normal meet would be fine.

Yikes, that seems like tough luck with everyone trying to get up there then. It was a great idea though. We should definitely do that drive up there as a group sometime, especially when interest and traffic to the top of Mt. Umunhum dies down a bit.

Actually, a user, shinshoryuken, from the AutoGAF thread brought up a good point about a meet up. Some routes like Highway 9 and Mt. Hamilton may not be very beginner friendly and if we want people to just have a good time and not worry about cyclists, narrow roads, too many twists and turns on the side of mountains, then perhaps other routes may be better.

shinshoryuken suggested a drive from the Bay Area to Napa Valley. I may know a route from Walnut Creek to Napa Valley that has some nice views, some twisty roads that are beginner friendly. It's a little far for sure, but people may end up enjoying it.

If something closer to the South Bay is desired, then perhaps a drive from San Jose to Santa Cruz could be good, we can take a road off the beaten path next to Highway 17 to Aptos, then back up Highway-1 for some views. This should only last a morning to afternoon and is much quicker than a Napa Valley tour.

If anyone has other ideas for routes then please chime in. It could still be fun having a meet up, even if it's just for an afternoon.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My car's battery terminals corroded while I was on a trip to NYC*. 🙄

I just got AAA, but it takes 48hrs to process.

I'm going on a trip to LA this weekend.

So I probably won't get around to fixing it until next week. I hope that the positive cable doesn't cause an issue while I'm gone. I wish I had mechanic friends, but I don't. :/

No GAF hangouts for me until at least the 7th. 😞

*I think I want to move.

Finally doing it...

In one week I will be moving out of RWC and living in SF proper (near Castro/Twin Peaks)

Any SF gaffers actually living in the city? How is it like? Is everything more expensive? Will I need my car anymore? Will my diet consist of avocado toast and tofu?

Finally doing it...

In one week I will be moving out of RWC and living in SF proper (near Castro/Twin Peaks)

Any SF gaffers actually living in the city? How is it like? Is everything more expensive? Will I need my car anymore? Will my diet consist of avocado toast and tofu?

Can't help you, but what kind of place were you in in RWC? I need to find a new place to stay soonish. Get out of my aunt and uncle's house.

Can't help you, but what kind of place were you in in RWC? I need to find a new place to stay soonish. Get out of my aunt and uncle's house.

One of those fancy luxury apartments near downtown. A 1br will cost you about $2700 a month (!) but it's like within walking distance to the Caltrain station, downtown RWC

Finally doing it...

I lived in the city years ago, Sunset neighborhood though. However, I have friends living in the city proper and no, you don't need your car most of the time. They just take public transportation or Uber everywhere. However, having a car for those times you want to get out of the city is helpful and convenient. I took Muni, BART, Caltrain, and buses to get around years ago and I also had a car just in case I wanted to leave the city or go somewhere. However, finding parking was a pain even in Sunset.

Things can be more expensive in SF only because there's so much to do. You'll most likely be going out more often than when living in RWC or anywhere else in South Bay Area. If you go out with the same frequency as you did in RWC, then you'll be fine as far as daily expenses, not including rent and utilities. I know you're joking, but avocado toast isn't great and tofu can be good. However, there's so much better stuff to try in SF. That's what Yelp and Open Table are for.

Note that if you have a good job and make enough money, it isn't bad living in SF, it can be fun if you can afford it. Have fun!

Finally doing it...

I live in Downtown (South Beach/SoMa) right by the Bay Bridge entrance. 10 minute walk to the FiDi which is where I work.

I don't have a car. I just use public transportation if needed (which is rare) and actually use car shares like Maven/ZipCar if I need to drive down to the peninsula for a party or something or Uber/Lyft if I'm there for a while. If I need a car for the weekend, I will rent one via Getaround, Upshift, Turo, etc.

In the end, I don't need to travel out much. Maybe 2-3 times out to the peninsula or somewhere super far in the city which MUNI or public transportation would take forever. You factor that in to about like $200-300 a month which is less than a car payment + insurance + parking a month.

On top of that, I have my groceries delivered via Amazon Fresh.

It becomes really easy to live in Downtown and you end up saving money in some other ways. I will say, I do get paid well and my company does offer great benefits like breakfast/lunch/dinner for free so that also helps save even more money. In the end, I have more disposable income in SF than I did in Vancouver when I lived there.

Thanks guys. I just couldn’t do the commute from RWC to UCSF driving (which can take up to an hour with traffic) and me and the wife really want to live in SF

Thanks guys. I just couldn’t do the commute from RWC to UCSF driving (which can take up to an hour with traffic) and me and the wife really want to live in SF

That's a long commute. A while back, I had clients up in SF, driving from the South Bay took 2-3 hours on average one way. So living in SF will be way more convenient. Hopefully you and your wife can split costs and have a nice time in SF. I keep hearing it's hard making it in the Bay Area, especially SF, with only one income. Double incomes help for sure.

One of those fancy luxury apartments near downtown. A 1br will cost you about $2700 a month (!) but it's like within walking distance to the Caltrain station, downtown RWC

Gotcha, too rich for my blood. I'm debating sharing a place with someone or just getting my own apartment--wife's going to be moving down early 2018, so I don't need the space yet but I will soonish.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Finally doing it...

Food is more expensive. Car isn't worth having. I haven't had a car in SF for 8 years. Before even back then the years I had one, the ticketing and parking made it more hassle than it was worth. If I really really need a car these days I zipcar.

I love living in this city. I often open up my place so people can explore the adventures that are born out of the strange nights and whimsical days of this place. I currently live out in the inner richmond (close-ish to the deyoung). This side of town is quiet when that's what you want but is also a fast bus trip downtown or to the beach.

Castro has a lot of good food and some fun nightlife. That whole strip running south into noe valley and north to divisidero is pretty awesome. Tip though, if you get convinced to hit 4505 on divisidero, pass it over to get black bark on filmore. You wont regret it.

That area also puts you closer to the good popeyes than me, so I'm jelly.

If you're higher up on twin peaks, it can be a bit more of a hassle as you'll probably need a car more to get around, but you'll probably have a parking spot. I prefer living in SF and being able to walk down the block for great grub in my sweatpants.

You're also not too far from inner sunset's irving strip which has some killer grub as well. Also have a lot of nice parks. Everyone praises Twin Peaks, but for me, the real secret awesome peak is Mt Davidson. I proposed to my first wife up there. Also randomly found a traveling blue dancing club up there one night. We all went until the morning light.

Food is a never ending spectrum here. Your diet will consist of what you want.

As for nightlife, I can give tips on that, but it really depends on what you're looking for.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah right now I'd like to live in either inner sunset or richmond. Otherwise it's east bay for me.

New coworkers are Oaklanders and are selling it pretty hard.

Yeah right now I'd like to live in either inner sunset or richmond. Otherwise it's east bay for me.

New coworkers are Oaklanders and are selling it pretty hard.

Inner Sunset and Richmond are honestly the cheapest options in DT SF.

I would have lived there but there are a few things I can't stand about that side of town..

1) Commute to DT is still about a 35-40 minute bus ride one way
2) It's so damn cloudy/foggy on that side and I came from Vancouver and the rain drove me nutso so I chose South Beach in SoMa which is one of the sunnier spots in the city.

Unfortunately I pay way more. :X

Inner Sunset and Richmond are honestly the cheapest options in DT SF.

I would have lived there but there are a few things I can't stand about that side of town..

1) Commute to DT is still about a 35-40 minute bus ride one way
2) It's so damn cloudy/foggy on that side and I came from Vancouver and the rain drove me nutso so I chose South Beach in SoMa which is one of the sunnier spots in the city.

Unfortunately I pay way more. :X

Yea I notice that the cheaper places are usually the foggiest (except for Tenderloin)

Top Bottom