• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

AcridMeat

Banned
Inner Sunset and Richmond are honestly the cheapest options in DT SF.

I would have lived there but there are a few things I can't stand about that side of town..

1) Commute to DT is still about a 35-40 minute bus ride one way
2) It's so damn cloudy/foggy on that side and I came from Vancouver and the rain drove me nutso so I chose South Beach in SoMa which is one of the sunnier spots in the city.

Unfortunately I pay way more. :X
That's the biggest detractor for me, east bay weather would be nicer. However you have GG park right there. When I was little I dealt with extreme fog in the hills of Sausalito and that shit is wild.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I like getting the overcast most days. About 10 percent of the time the sun is put enough for a walk in the park or a day at the beach. Good enough balance for me

Miletius

Gotcha, too rich for my blood. I'm debating sharing a place with someone or just getting my own apartment--wife's going to be moving down early 2018, so I don't need the space yet but I will soonish.

I think the apartments where I'm located go for about 2300 for a 1 BR or so. I can ask around if you are interested. It's decent sized, and about a 30 minute walk downtown (which isn't great, but it's close enough that I do the walk frequently).

I think the apartments where I'm located go for about 2300 for a 1 BR or so. I can ask around if you are interested. It's decent sized, and about a 30 minute walk downtown (which isn't great, but it's close enough that I do the walk frequently).

Actually, if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me a bit of info I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

midramble

I pay 1860 for a 1 bedroom on ground floor in inner Richmond. 31BX gets me downtown in 30 minutes. Bedroom across the stairwell is going on the market this week. Curious to see what it'll go for.

midramble

Probably 2500-3000

I’m paying 2900 for a 1br 600ft and I live near Castro

Big part of the price is the prime locality.

Inner richmond isn't that bad. 2 BR 1200 ft a couple of blocks from me is going for 2800 right now.

Even with the price I pay, I've only been in this unit for 2 years.

In people's minds sunset and richmond is so far away but the bus routes are pretty nice out here. Especially in the richmonds. You've got the 38 all the way down geary, 31 all down balboa, and 5 all down fulton. Never have to wait for a bus really.

This happened in front of my building yesterday.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-Folsom-Streets-Fire-Officials-448271603.html

Had a window open and heard it as I was getting ready for work. I assumed it was just the construction crew dropping stuff on the ground across the street. I went outside to head to work and saw the aftermath with a giant bus blocking the sidewalk I normally walk on to work. I will take pictures of the planters that stopped the bus from hitting a neighbor and his dogs but it was nutso.

Big part of the price is the prime locality.

Inner richmond isn't that bad. 2 BR 1200 ft a couple of blocks from me is going for 2800 right now.

Even with the price I pay, I've only been in this unit for 2 years.

In people's minds sunset and richmond is so far away but the bus routes are pretty nice out here. Especially in the richmonds. You've got the 38 all the way down geary, 31 all down balboa, and 5 all down fulton. Never have to wait for a bus really.

I know the buses aren't bad but man 30 minutes is essentially a BART out to like Berkley/Rockridge area as well. Just feels like you spend so much time and you don't go very far. Just my opinion though. I do enjoy my 10 minute walk to work in FiDi :p

M52B28

Banned
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/amp/As-car-break-ins-jump-28-percent-in-San-12165855.php

Ok now I’m scared

Any SF gaffers had their car broken into??? It seems like SF has the most amount of property crime in the US
Not yet. My friend had his car broken into in SJ and I've witnessed a break-in at Twin Peaks.

Just don't leave things in the open in your car. The people who got their car broken into at Twin Peaks got their iPad, laptops, wallets, passports and pretty much every means of identification stolen from them. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking when leaving that stuff in their car. They were visiting from Hawaii and LA I believe.

I called the police and they couldn't do much. The problem is that these break-ins happen so fast that you can't do much. By the time that car pulled up, they were in and out of the people's rental.

I ran up to try and catch the plates of the thieves' car, but they drove off a little too fast. It was likely stolen based on the looks of it.

I will never park on the street. A break-in is almost guaranteed.

I haven’t had my car broken into (yet) and I’ve parked in the streets of SF from Mission to Inner Richmond many times.

I think that your chances drop significantly when you don’t leave any visible valuables in your car

v1lla21

I've caught people trying to break into my car before. It's pretty stupid since we live in a mobile home and the car port is clearly visible. Lol. No one has succeeded but they have damaged the car.

sarcastor

I'm moving to socal for family reasons and I have a bedroom for rent in Nob Hill. It's in a prime spot next to a lot of restaurants, bars, stores, bus lines and scenic locations and the room is huge with amazing lighting. Send me a DM if interested

srH5Ge2.jpg

Syriel

When I first moved to SF I rented a loft on Folsom. Having the fair right outside your front door was an experience that first year.

Finally doing it...

In one week I will be moving out of RWC and living in SF proper (near Castro/Twin Peaks)

Any SF gaffers actually living in the city? How is it like? Is everything more expensive? Will I need my car anymore? Will my diet consist of avocado toast and tofu?

Dump your car if you work in the City. You won't need it.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/amp/As-car-break-ins-jump-28-percent-in-San-12165855.php

Ok now I’m scared

Any SF gaffers had their car broken into??? It seems like SF has the most amount of property crime in the US

Park on the street = get a smashed window.

It's only a matter of time.

Yeah that's a lot of fires to happen so close to one another. Must have been a lightning storm or something.Fire season is upon us! Still waking up to that in the south bay is unusual, I hope it clears soon.

broz0rs

The smoke smell seems pretty strong where I live in Sunnyvale. I can’t imagine how bad it must be in Santa Rosa.

The smoke smell seems pretty strong where I live in Sunnyvale. I can’t imagine how bad it must be in Santa Rosa.

My grandparents live(d) there, spent basically all day getting them. Don't have confirmation but their place almost certainly burned to the ground.

Tons of smoke up north.... it was kind of surreal.

finalflame

Gold Member
SFGaf, I had a brief stint in Seattle. Love it here too, but think I'm gonna be coming back into your warm embrace. Turns out fetishizing the game industry then actually working in it wasn't all it was cracked out to be and I might prefer the world of Silicon Valley tech.

Anyways, I'll be in town Thurs+Fri for some interviews -- hopefully I'll be back with y'all soon :)

also I miss good street tacos

Anybody else feel that slow roller quake a half an hour ago? 4.1 centered just east of San Jose.

Almost got up to stand in the doorway - lasted a decent little while but never grew in strength. The cat gave me a nice WTF look though.

Was driving to the gym when this occurred so when I saw one of my FB friends post something about it. I was like "whut." Then checked Twitter and there was one.

tl;dr no I did not feel it :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm posting updates in the wildfire thread, but evacuations/warnings are expanding.

Latest one:

10:45 a.m. Some Fairfield residents advised to pack a to-go bag in case fire spreads: Volatile and gusty winds in Solano County are expected to begin about 11 a.m. and could spread the Atlas Fire to neighborhoods in Fairfield, according to a statement from the city police department. The fire is about 3 miles from city limits close to the Eastridge and Rancho Solano neighborhoods.

“All residents in the Eastridge and Rancho Solano neighborhoods are encouraged to pack a ‘Ready-to-Go’ bag with all essential papers and medicines and be prepared to leave on short notice,” the police advisory said. “There is no evacuation notice at this time.”

So with all the haze and the ashen smell of burning everywhere I decided to look up the air quality rating at my job in Berkeley:

Today and for the days ahead its rated a 184, or Unhealthy:

"Unhealthy" AQI is 151 to 200. Everyone may begin to experience some adverse health effects, and members of the sensitive groups may experience more serious effects.

My neighborhood in the city is currently listed as 111, or Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups:

"Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" AQI is 101 to 150. Although general public is not likely to be affected at this AQI range, people with lung disease, older adults and children are at a greater risk from exposure to ozone, whereas persons with heart and lung disease, older adults and children are at greater risk from the presence of particles in the air.

You can check your area here (by zip code or state):
[url]https://airnow.gov/[/URL]

Edzi

So with all the haze and the ashen smell of burning everywhere I decided to look up the air quality rating at my job in Berkeley:

Today and for the days ahead its rated a 184, or Unhealthy:

My neighborhood in the city is currently listed as 111, or Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups:

You can check your area here (by zip code or state):
[url]https://airnow.gov/[/URL]

Yep, seems like almost the entire bay has unhealthy levels of air quality. It's been killing me at work all day out in Pleasanton, and based on that map it's not going to get better when I get back home to Hayward.

Hopefully the winds shift and this stops being a thing soon.

[/url][/B][/URL]

Thanks for posting this. I'm in Berkeley, too, and I'm still kinda/sorta considering still attending a Muay Thai class (I'm an idiot).

AcridMeat

Banned
Was in Denver the day before fires started. Wild news to read about while away. Plane home was delayed 90 minutes because of the smoke/visibility at SFO.

I was hoping to drop off some things at one of the shelters evacuees are at but the delay means it'll have to wait until this weekend :/

Top Bottom