• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Monster Planet (Polygon Pictures CG movie, Netflix) new trailer and poster!

duckroll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K-M2IzTWw

First complete look at the action and Godzilla himself. This film looks pretty crazy lol. Will be on Netflix by the end of the year. I think they said November.

DHVE-cuW0AAMZXO.jpg:orig

antonz

Looks pretty good. Interesting they seem to be embracing the US Godzilla style with their own spin on it.

Could be pretty cool.

Couldn't understand the Japanese, but it looked sorta like Avatar, but instead of finding Cat People on the planet, they found fucking Godzilla, haha.

Maybe if you're on a new planet and you find Godzilla, you could try going to another side of the planet, you know?

casiopao

Could be pretty cool.

Couldn't understand the Japanese, but it looked sorta like Avatar, but instead of finding Cat People on the planet, they found fucking Godzilla, haha.

Maybe if you're on a new planet and you find Godzilla, you could try going to another side of the planet, you know?

Actually it is time travel thingy. It is far far in the future and they found that Earth is now Godzilla's planet not human anymore.

Sojgat

Looks like Polygon's other stuff. If it's anywhere near as good as the Blame movie, I will be pretty happy.

duckroll

Can't wait for Urobuchi's wild monster planet.

IIRC there's supposed to be two more of these coming, right?

Yeah it's a film trilogy. I won't be surprised if they do something similar to Ajin where they edit the movies into a series format later on for broadcast on TV in Japan.

I don't know why, but I'm getting a slight Xenoblade vibe here. Xenoblade 2 also involves living on the backs of giant creatures.

Happy to see Japan embracing the beefy Legendary design. The animation does look weird but the artstyle seems to make up for it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Guess they dont want to do live action when the west in pumping out Godzilla movies at the same time.
I dont like that.

It's probably more that animation is waaaaay cheaper. They certainly didn't have a problem making Shin Godzilla on the heels of the US Godzilla reboot.

Guess they dont want to do live action when the west in pumping out Godzilla movies at the same time.
I dont like that.
there's a deal in place, Toho can't make another live action G-film until after 2020, that being when the Kong vs. Godzilla film is set to come out.

but anime films, you betcha. And given the, well, monstrous success of Shin Godzilla, I think its a safe bet that we'll get a more traditional G-film as soon as Toho can legally pull the trigger on it.

darklin0

Banned
Their animation gets better with every new project. I am glad they are doing well, waiting impatiently for this.

Wow, cg anime isn't quite there yet, is it?

They are going through a growing period at the moment as they adapt to the new medium. It has been steadily getting better.

HotHamBoy

The animation looks fucking awful.

Are they purposefully limiting animation frames to make it look more like 2D? Because it's trash.

Embrace 3D if you're going to do 3D, don't emulate another medium. That's really dumb.

Rafavert

Sold!

I don't get the hate for CGI anime. Ajin looks great, as does Blame.

Plus, I need kaijus destroying stuff in my veins.

HotHamBoy

Sold!

I don't get the hate for CGI anime. Ajin looks great, as does Blame.

Plus, I need kaijus destroying stuff in my veins.

Because the medium have more value than trying to emulate another medium while looking worse.

CGI is a great tool but it could be employed to much greater effect if it tried to play to its strengths.

Sephzilla

I'm not sure I'm digging the look of Godzilla or that the anime runs at Telltale framerates. Other than that it looks neat

Nightfall

I don't like CG anime... It just feels so off. It's supposed to look flat but it doesn't...

All those studios should head on over to Arc System Works and get some lessons. They're the only ones who nailed the cel shaded anime look perfectly.

Glass Rebel

Polygon's CG is getting better but it's still not quite there for my tastes. There's just something weird about their shading that makes me thing of game cutscenes rather than anime. Did they work on the nrw Fire Emblem cutscenes as well?

As for this, will watch mostly because of Urobuchi.

Aki-at

This whole mini Godzilla revival is my jam since 2014, after a decade of almost nothing except like a cameo in a Japanese drama.

Really looking forward to this for how cool the concept is.

Rymuth

I like the artstyle. I loved Knights of Sidnoia and thought Ajin had some entertaining moments.

Just hope Godzilla looks a bit more...animated than that.

Steejee

The body armor in every polygon show/movie looks like it was made for one sci-fi project and they they just kept reusing it. That or they have a 'scuffed white armor' texture they reaaaally like.

Still...will watch.

taimoorh

Character design and animation looks like literally the same guys as Knighs of Sidonia and Blame!

EDIT: Just did a quick AniDB search and the character designer's the same dude for all 3 animes (including Ajin! which I haven't seen yet): Moriyama Yuuki.

I got to be honest, the CG looks terrible. Reminds me of Iron Man Armored Adventures but with a worse framerate. It was very choppy.

Yeah, I really don't get the appeal of this style outside of it probably being cheaper and faster to produce (and if it's not either of those things, what the hell is the point?). Godzilla looks even more stiff than he did in parts of Shin Gojira.

I am going to be that dude.

How was the Zilla Cartoon? I know it has Kaiju fights, is it better then the movie?

I watched it a few years back and thought it held up pretty well. It was definitely a lot more fun than the movie.

Top Bottom