• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Cambridge working on “high profile, multi-million selling franchise” (PS4)

If it is Killzone, give it a radical reboot. I don't want to be able to recognize it. Change the visuals, the gameplay, etc.

I assume if they are working on a PS4 title, they are expanding the studio. There should be lots of talent in the UK floating about due to all of the studio closures as of late.

nib95

Banned
They did a solid job with Killzone Mercenary. The whole upgrade thing was a great touch, as was the gliding elements and general design. Hope that they can re-invigorate the franchise if that is what they're working on.

Lemondish

I am loving Shadow Fall soooo...screw you guys who're hatin! :p

I do wonder what the IP is though. Most of us believe that KZ is going on indefinite hiatus.

I'm loving SF too.

While many here believe KZ will go on hiatus we know from countless historical examples that GAF does not in any way represent the majority.

Salex_

I dislike MS for their reliance on the same boring IPs. I'm sick and tired of next gen starting with more of the same: Forza, Fable, Halo, Gears. It looks like Sony might be doing the same. I don't want to see another Killzone game this gen, I don't need another God of War game and I certainly don't want to see sequels to tired IPs like Resistance. Enough is enough.

What's the problem? Big selling franchises will continue to exist along with the new IPs. GG, Media Molecule, Bend Studios, London Studios, and others are confirmed to be working on new IPs.

It wouldn't be wise to ditch multi-million selling IPs since people actually buys them and expects some of their favorite franchises to be on the new consoles.

I mean, just look at this.
Halo - 10m+ seller, one of the best selling FPS games (this genre is packeddddd)
GT - 10m+ seller, the best selling racing sim IP
GOW - ~5m seller, best selling character action IP
Gears/Uncharted - 6m+ sellers

Games like those just makes sense to make.

I agree with you on the Killzone thing though. I'm hoping "high profile, multi-million selling franchise” can also refer to an inactive IP that was a multi-million selling franchise.

ymmv

Banned
Reboot the damn thing already.

Or give it the boot.

In a perfect world we'd see a next gen Medievil, Jak & Daxter or Heavenly Sword (done right this time). But I fully expect to be disappointed with a new Killzone game when we've already had 6 of 'em.

Lemondish

Or give it the boot.

In a perfect world we'd see a next gen Medievil, Jak & Daxter or Heavenly Sword (done right this time). But I fully expect to be disappointed with a new Killzone game when we've already had 6 of 'em.

There's a beacon of hope for those who don't like KZ. Their work on Mercenary was actually really great.

I like KZ, though, so I'm excited either way.

Lemondish

Didn't someone at Sony as 80% of the games they make don't make a profit.

Yoshida did. I think the quote was that only 4 out of 10 games make a profit. The gist was that they'll continue to support great new IP because they always have, even though it's not the best way to go.

They really can only do that if there's those money makers, though. Three guesses as to which games those are.

HooYaH

Change Killzone name to some other name (Killzone is a dumb name) to Helghast or Orange Sparkle Eyes. Well knowing Sony, they always have dumb names to their games, Panopticon to Freedom Wars.

Zushin

Or give it the boot.

This please. Definitely want to see more Jak & Daxter.

KZ: Mercenaries was pretty good, although in typical Guerrilla style the characters are barely tolerable. I'd go for another KZ game from these guys though.

It'd be awesome if it was a Resistance reboot. What about a Killzone/Resistance mashup? Chimera are invading Vekta and what's left of Helghan, ISA and Helghast have to team up.

Hydrargyrus

Guerrilla Games should be work this way: Guerrilla Amsterdam with the new ip and Guerrilla Cambridge with Killzone.

I don't know how big is Guerrilla Amsterdam. Maybe they should be able to work with 2 teams at the same time. In this case, should be work in another new ip but not in Killzone.

The premise was stupid. Helghast were their sworn enemies. They would not be allowed to resettle on Vekta, let alone maintain their militaristic authoritarian system. The whole hilariously bad ending of KZ3 painted the series into a corner.

They didn't let them, a space version of the UN made them as punishment for what they'd done to Helghan. Something not without precedent in world history.

Anyway I've always liked these games, but would rather Cambridge were working on Heavenly Sword sequel.

FLECKO

howdoeshewink.jpeg

Please, thanks a lot

DevilFox

I don't care if they did a good Killzone, enough with Killzone, at least for some time.
Don't disappoint me WWS, please let it be Medievil or Wipeout. If I'm not wrong, I remember I read something about a Wipeout game in Cambridge Studio.

Guerrilla Games should be work this way: Guerrilla Amsterdam with the new ip and Guerrilla Cambridge with Killzone.

I don't know how big is Guerrilla Amsterdam. Maybe they should be able to work with 2 teams at the same time. In this case, should be work in another new ip but not in Killzone.

Amsterdam is around 200+, two project team there, with 2 directors, Steven der Heide ( Shadowfall ) and Marhdis de Jonge. (Killzone 2,3, Liberation and new IP)

Cambridge is around 50+, last I remember. One project studio.

Bundy

Banned
Guerilla Games is working on high profile, multi-million selling franchise

Except Naughty Dog's properties and God of War, what other properties does Sony own that are multi-million sellers?

Genuine question.
I have to laugh so hard every damn time when I see sombody asking this question.

A 25% attach rate (2 million sold out of a 8 million instal base) is non-profitable?

But attach rate does not necessarily indicate profitability. There's no doubt Shadow Fall has done comparatively well so far, and one would assume as a launch title it will probably have a fairly decent tail, but as the premier launch title there must have been some consideration that it would be a loss leader that nonetheless drives hardware sales.

But Rico was actually decent in KZ1, he just got worse and worse afterwards.
His banter with Hakka was pretty good.

Luger was awesome and im surprised they never brought her back.

Templar was generic but much better than Sev was.

Ugh, I hated all the characters in Killzone 1 as well. Rico was an angry douchebag back then who spent most of the game arguing with Hakha, Templar was a very bland obedient soldier and Luger's only character trait was that she flirted with Templar because they used to sleep together or whatever. After the first game I hoped they'd forget the tedious soldiers and focus on the wider conflict, but sadly that's never happened.

Don't disappoint me WWS, please let it be Medievil or Wipeout. If I'm not wrong, I remember I read something about a Wipeout game in Cambridge Studio.

I'd love a new Wipeout, but I never recall hearing any rumours that Guerrilla Cambridge were working on an instalment. Doesn't seem to make much sense as they've no history with racing games - I'd expect Evolution or London Studio to be more likely to take up Wipeout's mantle.

But attach rate does not necessarily indicate profitability. There's no doubt Shadow Fall has done comparatively well so far, and one would assume as a launch title it will probably have a fairly decent tail, but as the premier launch title there must have been some consideration that it would be a loss leader that nonetheless drives hardware sales.

Considering that Killzone has never been a sales darling ( not in the upward of sales of the other brands ), and that the game only had a 2-year dev cycle, I'd say it's fair to assume that Shadow Fall at the very least broke even.

In the first place, it would be insane to overly invest in a launch title.

Man... I miss silly character platformers.

Give me a new Pac-Man World before any of this stuff.

No, not that Ghostly Adventures, 30fps-locked monstrosity.

Frogger, Pacman. Or Manic Miner!

Jut about anything is more exciting than another Killzone.

I'm joking :)

DevilFox

I'd love a new Wipeout, but I never recall hearing any rumours that Guerrilla Cambridge were working on an instalment. Doesn't seem to make much sense as they've no history with racing games - I'd expect Evolution or London Studio to be more likely to take up Wipeout's mantle.

Not Cambridge indeed but read here.
There was a rumor about a Wipeout in development for months before Liverpool got closed, as well as another game like Splinter Cell. Many Liverpool members moved to create Firesprite Studio (yes, the guys of PlayRoom) but it looks too small for a big title like Wipeout, so maybe in collaboration with Cambridge.. I'm just speculating here, I just want Wipeout back.
Side note: I also read long time ago that other members of Liverpool moved to Cambridge in 2012 when WWS started its "restructuration" but I can't find any source. Not that it means anything anyway.

Amsterdam is around 200+, two project team there, with 2 directors, Steven der Heide ( Shadowfall ) and Marhdis de Jonge. (Killzone 2,3, Liberation and new IP)

Cambridge is around 50+, last I remember. One project studio.

De jonge also directed mercenaries while it was being developed at cambridge.

Vitor711

God me too! 1080p 60fps glorious Wipeout on PS4 with a bumping electronica soundtrack... give it to me, now!

But... Wipeout already was 1080 and 60FPS. (kinda).

Ugh, give me HD and the Fury add on as a PSN+ freebie. I'd die of happiness. That's one port they need to do.

But... Wipeout already was 1080 and 60FPS. (kinda).

Ugh, give me HD and the Fury add on as a PSN+ freebie. I'd die of happiness. That's one port they need to do.

I really don't understand why they havent ported one or announced a new one... seems like a no-brainer franchise to continue with the new gen?

I really don't understand why they havent ported one or announced a new one... seems like a no-brainer franchise to continue with the new gen?

Hasn't been a particularly big selling series since the PS1 days though, so although I'd love more Wipeout I understand its absence. Sony Liverpool's problem was mismanagement. They were anchored to a declining genre (the arcade racer), and should have had the opportunity to branch out in the PS2 era. They made such amazing tech too, that to let all that scatter in the wind is a terrible shame.

Top Bottom