• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Cambridge working on “high profile, multi-million selling franchise” (PS4)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
As someone who was disappointed with KZ3 and based on what I've seen, reviews and comments here have no interest in playing Shadow Fall, part of me hopes that Cambridge take over Killzone and can redeem the series.

I love the aesthetic of the game, I think it has an interesting lore and the gunplay is sublime. Even though Guerrilla created the IP they didn't have the talent to realise its potential and ultimately tainted the series with terrible writing and characterisation and changes to the MP that alienated fans. Not sure how Cambridge could salvage the series after GG messed it up, I think the story arc GG took was a dead end, but would be great if they could.

They actually took it in an interesting direction with Shadowfall, the premise of the game had a lot of promise. There's plenty for Cambridge to work with imo.

They actually took it in an interesting direction with Shadowfall, the premise of the game had a lot of promise. There's plenty for Cambridge to work with imo.

Maybe they can finally give us a game where we play as the Helghast and get some well deserved revenge on the ISA

But games development is zero-sum, so how he is wrong?
Exactly the Vita is getting almost no games from Sony anymore so why does he feel so threatened by the Vita?
His comments are implying that if Sony makes games for the Vita the PS4 get less. The PS4 is their flagship console, the AAA games will come.

tumblr_mqldudgf261scj1gdpm.gif

T8X1v.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Maybe they can finally give us a game where we play as the Helghast and get some well deserved revenge on the ISA

Considering how the epilogue to Shadowfall played out, something along these lines is certainly possible.

viveks86

That
last mission was the best part of the game. I really wanted a lot more stealth on KSF.

Yeah. The NPC AI was terribad though. If they fix that, stealth would be pretty solid. It seemed like GG experimented with different play styles for each stage. Some were well received and others were panned almost unanimously (though I enjoyed each variation). May be they were testing the waters to set the future direction for the series.

A good cohesive story, a more interesting protagonist (cough…echo... cough) and progressive level design would do the game tons of good. GG Cambridge are competent enough to do just that

SFenton

While I don't like Killzone, Mercs was super pretty, played fluidly, and took great advantage of the Vita. I'm sure Cambridge will do the system justice.

A good cohesive story, a more interesting protagonist (cough…echo... cough) and progressive level design would do the game tons of good. GG Cambridge are competent enough to do just that
Yep. And the gunplay is still top tier. Anybody who doubts the game's action should play co-op for a bit.

I will add, this thread makes you realize how many different IPs Sony is squatting on. Socom, Medievil, Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Syphon Filter, ect ect

The premise was stupid. Helghast were their sworn enemies. They would not be allowed to resettle on Vekta, let alone maintain their militaristic authoritarian system. The whole hilariously bad ending of KZ3 painted the series into a corner.

How good do you think the RoI for Killzone is though? Is it company politics or money that keeps the franchise going? Crap games with average to poor sales. Launch slot wasted and now SCE Cambridge wasted. Horrible franchise that needs to die.

You really hate Killzone (and Jenson Button if I remember F1 thread right lol). Shadow Fall just sold 2.1 million.... Pretty sure it made its money back.

If it's going to be another Killzone, I wonder whether a complete reboot would be better at this point. I've always liked the premise, the art style and the technology, but felt like there was something stupid and annoying about pretty much every instalment. If Sony are determined to stick with the franchise, then maybe get some proper writers in and start over. Or how about some games depicting the First Extrasolar War, so it stays in the same universe but doesn't directly contradict the other games' canon.

Ascenion

I'd be cool with Killzone, or did we all forget that Cambridge made Killzone Mercenary? They get the series, better that GG does at this point. I say give em a shot, still please God let this be Syphon Filter....

Lemondish

I would like a Resistance or Killzone FPS from Cambridge. Both have interesting and detailed histories that could easily be used for a variety of games.

A Killzone RPG in the style of Mass Effect set before the first Vektan-Hg war would also be amazing.

But what I really want is more Resistance.

I'd rather it take place after Shadow Fall. I really, really, really wanted to just roam the Vektan city.

It could be Syphon Filter, though.

ymmv

Banned
We've had sequels to Killzone and Infamous already. Uncharted and Gran Turismo to come and I'm pretty sure a new God of Wart is in the works.

Sony stop.

I wouldn't even mind a fps but please a new franchise. Like I keep repeating, ND could have pumped out Uncharted 4 on PS3 after U3 but instead took a little risk and made a new i.p that's gone on to sell 6 million and won 200 GotY awards.

Come on ffs.

I dislike MS for their reliance on the same boring IPs. I'm sick and tired of next gen starting with more of the same: Forza, Fable, Halo, Gears. It looks like Sony might be doing the same. I don't want to see another Killzone game this gen, I don't need another God of War game and I certainly don't want to see sequels to tired IPs like Resistance. Enough is enough.

Lemondish

I dislike MS for their reliance on the same boring IPs. I'm sick and tired of next gen starting with more of the same: Forza, Fable, Halo, Gears. It looks like Sony might be doing the same. I don't want to see another Killzone game this gen, I don't need another God of War game and I certainly don't want to see sequels to tired IPs like Resistance. Enough is enough.

When 6 out of 10 first party Sony games fail to make money, what are they supposed to do? These big franchises sell and they obviously do so without the interest of buyers like you. They'll continue to make them so that you get the special, unique, new IP you like. Don't for a moment believe that a new God of War, Killzone, or Uncharted is taking away from new IP. In reality, those franchises enable Sony to make new IP because without them there wouldn't be any financial support to take those risks.

I think it's important to note that Cambridge is a small team. It's not far fetched to assume that their next game will be built on the foundation of something that's already built for PS4, like... Shadow Fall.

SirCrush

I am loving Shadow Fall soooo...screw you guys who're hatin! :p

I do wonder what the IP is though. Most of us believe that KZ is going on indefinite hiatus.

Rico was in 1. Opinion invalidated

Now that you mention it, the others were actually pretty good.

But Rico was actually decent in KZ1, he just got worse and worse afterwards.
His banter with Hakka was pretty good.

Luger was awesome and im surprised they never brought her back.

Templar was generic but much better than Sev was.

Top Bottom