• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Cambridge working on “high profile, multi-million selling franchise” (PS4)

Vinc

Seeing as Shadow Fall has sold over 2.1 million copies as of March, you are hilariously wrong.

I do think it's fair to say that those numbers may be inflated by the limited amount of games at the launch of PS4, as well as bundles with the console. But yeah, it's not dead... and it not being dead allows the studio to take the risk involved in creating a new IP, which I'm happy with. I really don't think I can play a new Killzone though.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Gran Turismo.

Killzone usually sells a couple of million so I guess they can get away with that.

True. Definitely forgot about Gran Turismo, it passed right through me.

A few users have mentioned Little Big Planet as well, but one would assume Media Molecule would be working on the next iteration.

So we have Naughty Dog's properties, Gran Turismo, God of War and Killzone that are at Sony's disposal that would qualify for the high profile, multi-million selling franchise moniker, so we can assume it's from that pool of properties?

Edit: I excluded MotorStorm and Resistance in my initial post as their sequels did not achieve the multi-million selling tier. I did thoroughly enjoy Resistance, sad it stopped after 3

Thanks for the answers everyone.

It's Happening!!!

crash.jpg

one can dream :(

Guerilla Games is working on high profile, multi-million selling franchise

Except Naughty Dog's properties and God of War, what other properties does Sony own that are multi-million sellers?

Genuine question.

most of them? resistance, heavy rain, LBP, Souls, GT, infamous, are all multi million sellers.

personally guys, I'm hoping for another Getaway game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cambridge taking over Killzone would be the best thing for the franchise. Get some new blood in there who understands what makes the series gunplay great, get some new writers on it, and flesh out the loadouts/stealth from Mercenary. All that would inject a lot of life into the series.

Hexa

Guerilla Games is working on high profile, multi-million selling franchise

Except Naughty Dog's properties and God of War, what other properties does Sony own that are multi-million sellers?

Genuine question.

A franchise selling multimillion (>2) isn't that impressive if it has multiple titles.

Gran Turismo
Uncharted
God of War
Killzone
Resistance
Motorstorm
Little Big Planet
Infamous
Ratchet and Clank
Sly
Jak
Twisted Metal
The Getaway
SOCOM
Everybody's Golf
PaRappa the Rapper
Singstar
Buzz
Ape Escape
Wild ARMs
MLB: The Show
Syphon Filter
Dark Cloud (including Dark Chronicle)

That's all I can think of. Some I'm not sure would fit (Medievil, Wipeout, etc) but might. Also some titles like Heavy Rain, The Last of Us that sold a lot but aren't really franchises (yet?). Writing them all out, Sony has A LOT.

But it's definitely Killzone.

i'm always excited for Killzone. One of the best series from a mechanical/gameplay standpoint imo. The lore is really cool too.

I wouldn't mind if it is Killzone. They did a fantastic job with Mercenaries, so I'd love to see what they can do with the PS4 hardware and the franchise. Let them take over and then the original team can focus everything into the new I.P.

I'm down.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Don't really get why they don't drop the series due to how small the community for multiplayer is in the new one.
I think the poor UI early on and lack of voice chat at launch sunk it. Cambridge has been working on a lot of the post release patches and maps and have done a great job improving the game but it was too late. Avoid those issues and don't launch anywhere near CoD and BF and the next one could do a lot better.

Paracelsus

I guess it's time for Killzone to become a third person shooter or a futuristic rpg-tps We need more of these, less fps/fpa/fprpg.

People really should be asking for new i.p's and not accept games in the same franchise over and over.

How many Killzone's do you want?

And KZ: SF sold so well because it was the main exclusive (and a fps) at launch. It was also the graphical showcase for the console.

So I'll be disappointed if it's another Killzone in the works, as much as I think Shadow Fall is good.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
People really should be asking for new i.p's and not accept games in the same franchise over and over.

How many Killzone's do you want?
Preface: Yeah yeah I understand business reasons and their ROI on those games and blabla.

Fuck Killzone FPS games. Fuck them. And I say that as someone that thinks they are competent.

A platform holder should offer a diversified portfolio and make genres that are underrepresented in the AAA space.

If they need to make something that is pretty popular but not FPS popular then make a Splinter-Cell like game set in the Killzone universe.

Top Bottom