• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Cambridge working on “high profile, multi-million selling franchise” (PS4)

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't really want another Killzone but I'd try it.

KZ2 and 3 are both great, while Shadowfall was pretty average.

So Guerilla Cambridge taking over Killzone and main Guerilla still working on a WestRPG?

I would be fine with GC taking over Killzone. Mercenary was actually a very, very good Killzone game. That fact that it is measured by console shooter standards(as a handheld shooter) and still holds up pretty well is prove of that.

And main Guerilla finally moving on is also very necessary imo.

Killzone still has plenty of potential in terms of campaign storylines and gameplay (co-op? playable Helghast and ISA perspectives), and the KZ multiplayer and support has set a gold standard compared to the competition (monthly patches, free map DLC). I'm up for more, definitely.

But other stuff could be just as cool too.

BibiMaghoo

wipeout1920_2.jpg.jpg

Please god Sony do it. Let them try.

Preface: Yeah yeah I understand business reasons and their ROI on those games and blabla.

Fuck Killzone FPS games. Fuck them. And I say that as someone that thinks they are competent.

A platform holder should offer a diversified portfolio and make genres that are underrepresented in the AAA space.

If they need to make something that is pretty popular but not FPS popular then make a Splinter-Cell like game set in the Killzone universe.

How good do you think the RoI for Killzone is though? Is it company politics or money that keeps the franchise going? Crap games with average to poor sales. Launch slot wasted and now SCE Cambridge wasted. Horrible franchise that needs to die.

Keep in mind that Cambridge also has assisted the main Guerrilla studio on pretty much everything they've done since being bought by Sony, so this isn't necessarily a game Cambridge is lead on.

Jawmuncher

Cambridge on Killzone would be a great thing.
We already know they know what to do after playing Mercenary. If they improve on that then it's all good.

Preface: Yeah yeah I understand business reasons and their ROI on those games and blabla.

Fuck Killzone FPS games. Fuck them. And I say that as someone that thinks they are competent.

A platform holder should offer a diversified portfolio and make genres that are underrepresented in the AAA space.

If they need to make something that is pretty popular but not FPS popular then make a Splinter-Cell like game set in the Killzone universe.

We've had sequels to Killzone and Infamous already. Uncharted and Gran Turismo to come and I'm pretty sure a new God of Wart is in the works.

Sony stop.

I wouldn't even mind a fps but please a new franchise. Like I keep repeating, ND could have pumped out Uncharted 4 on PS3 after U3 but instead took a little risk and made a new i.p that's gone on to sell 6 million and won 200 GotY awards.

Come on ffs.

You know what would probably result in people taking Killzone seriously and increase sale?

Not calling it Killzone.

Its such a dumb name. If you slap a Helgast dude on the cover people will still know what it is but that name is something you call a mid 90's arcade Mortal Kombat knockoff.

I'm done with Killzone. I mean, I've only played Shadow Fall, but that was enough to convince me that it's not a franchise worth continuing any longer. If it were down to me, I'd ditch the series completely, or at the very most give it a ten year sabbatical, and then approach it again with a fresh pair of eyes. It's simply not that interesting enough to warrant further instalments.

So what I'm saying is, I hope it's not another Killzone game that Cambridge are working on, and I sure hope it's a MediEvil they're working on instead, because Sir Daniel Fortesque is a timeless character. Who doesn't want to see the return of Mr. Bean in skeleton form.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How good do you think the RoI for Killzone is though? Is it company politics or money that keeps the franchise going? Crap games with average to poor sales. Launch slot wasted and now SCE Cambridge wasted. Horrible franchise that needs to die.
Killzone Shadow Fall sold well because it tied to the PS4. I don't know what kind of accounting they use, but if that person that works in Excel likes the franchise they can make the numbers work easily.

I object to Killzone not from an economics point of view, but from a person that wants to see variety in genre from platform holders. More prestige projects with developer having more creative freedom.

I say that, despite knowing that Uncharted and Infamous are the games because Sony asked the developers to change them. Guerilla Games has fucking incredible environmental artists, I want their art in a game that isn't primarily about shooting humanoids in the head.

I'm done with Killzone. I mean, I've only played Shadow Fall, but that was enough to convince me that it's not a franchise worth continuing any longer. If it were down to me, I'd ditch the series completely, or at the very most give it a ten year sabbatical, and then approach it again with a fresh pair of eyes. It's simply not that interesting enough to warrant further instalments.

So what I'm saying is, I hope it's not another Killzone game that Cambridge are working on, and I sure hope it's a MediEvil they're working on instead, because Sir Daniel Fortesque is a timeless character. Who doesn't want to see the return of Mr. Bean in skeleton form.

Yeah a new franchise or an old classic revived such as MediEvil but that's highly, highly unlikely.

vpance

Arguably the best technical minds in all of Sony WWS should NOT be working on a franchise as devoid of substance as Killzone is. What a damn waste if this arrangement continues any longer.

If they absolutely MUST continue the Killzone series please let Guerilla Cambridge do all of them from now on, Guerilla Games had no idea what they were doing when they made Shadow Fall.

peanut gallery comment.

Not really, I mean, I am sure it's been profitable otherwise they'd have dropped it.

But as far as series go, it's about as warmly welcomed by the wider press and gaming audience as a summer cold. I certainly don't have an affinity for it historically, but it really only has a small fanbase on GAF. Shadowfall did it no favours.

Prefer they let small studios like this work on new IP's also.

hawk2025

I do think it's fair to say that those numbers may be inflated by the limited amount of games at the launch of PS4, as well as bundles with the console. But yeah, it's not dead... and it not being dead allows the studio to take the risk involved in creating a new IP, which I'm happy with. I really don't think I can play a new Killzone though.

Killzone 2 and 3 were also bundled with the PS3.

Shadow Fall is a resounding sales success, no two ways about it.

Arguably the best technical minds in all of Sony WWS should NOT be working on a franchise as devoid of substance as Killzone is. What a damn waste if this arrangement continues any longer.

Yes, absolutely right.

A criminal waste, even if this is GG Cambridge and not the wizards behind SF. Imagine the worlds they could create with the PS4's power.

Instead another fps is lined up on the factory belt of sterility.

maneil99

We've had sequels to Killzone and Infamous already. Uncharted and Gran Turismo to come and I'm pretty sure a new God of Wart is in the works.

Sony stop.

I wouldn't even mind a fps but please a new franchise. Like I keep repeating, ND could have pumped out Uncharted 4 on PS3 after U3 but instead took a little risk and made a new i.p that's gone on to sell 6 million and won 200 GotY awards.

Come on ffs.
Guerrilla's making an Open World RPG with the lead writer of New Vegas

RK128

My guess is that they will be the new Killzone team within Guerrilla while the two teams at GG's do there own thing (one team helping out Cambridge with the PS4 Killzone's while the latter team focuses on there new IP).

Considering GC did a killer job with Killzone Mercenary, I have no doubt they will make wonderful Killzone games for the PlayStation 4 :D.

Shame Sony pulled them away from Vita development though X(...

Guerrilla's making an Open World RPG with the lead writer of New Vegas

I know, and that's great.

But that doesn't automatically mean GG's other main studio has to pump out another Killzone as some kind of safety net. Let them have their creative freedom too. They proved themselves with Mercenary.

I believe it was Colin's IGN review of KZ Shadowfall that said basically "Sony has always wanted KZ to be a thing, but it's never become a thing." Which is pretty much how I feel about the franchise. They are well made games, just no spark.

I wish other, more frequently occurring franchises, got this kind of flak... *cough... CoD, Battlefield, Asscreed. *cough.

Everyone who is "soooooo fuuuucking tiiiiiired" of Killzone, should simply, not play them IMO. GG is obviously working on a new IP. Get excited about that. I know I am. And as someone who actually, amazingly, somehow, unfathomably, enjoys Killzone... I am also excited to read it's likely that Cambridge could take the reins. Especially considering how well Mercenaries played/was reviewed.

Top Bottom