• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive Sales: 3DS > Android > iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

abasm

I wonder if it's a function of market saturation? The Apple App store is so large and well established that it can be difficult to make waves with new games (without a sizable marketing budget). By comparison, any truly great game to come out on the Play Store or the eShop is a Pretty Big Deal.

I just started playing this on the subway. It's just perfect for short burst public transit game play.
Really hits the spot! (got it for 3DS of course!)

You really nailed the price point. It's so rare to see an actual quality game for such a low price.

DoubleTap

Just bought this last night. Beautiful game. Love the art style. I was humming "take on me" while playing :)

EDIT: Bought for my 3DS. It's the perfect platform for it IMO.

Review went up on IGN!!
Hopefully it will add more sales to this well deserved game.

The graphics are wondrous, especially in 3D. The style is sort of like a sketch, almost in the Squigglevision animation style of Dr. Katz or Home Movies. Characters animate wonderfully, and the variety of locales is nice. The backgrounds are all the same color, though, and it is occasionally unclear where a platform is. The game is also gentle with its respawns; you restart quickly and the levels are short, making the lack of checkpoints tolerable.

Gunman Clive is a brief experience, but still one well worth experiencing if you’re looking for a fine $2 platformer on your 3DS. The stellar game design is emboldened by the three different characters you can play as. From start to finish, Gunman Clive is a fantastic platformer, good enough that it is worth playing multiple times to play as every character.

SCORE 8.7

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/22/gunman-clive-3ds-review

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's always astonishing when something truly good hits at that price point. At 2 bucks I'm tempted to buy complete junkers but when something like this or Aura Aura Climber comes out you really feel good about that purchase.

Hero

Great to hear about the review!

I loved playing through the game again as the third character, by the way. It actually forced me to approach things quite differently than I did as Clive and had a lot more fun with it than I thought I would. I also thought it was quite humorous at just the concept and thought of it.

Is there anything different about the girl that plays differently?

My one criticism of the game is that Clive feels just a tad slower than I'd like but I'm assuming this is by design?

Wow I didn't really expect IGN to do a review, much less give it such a great score

Well, first of all your game deserves exposure. I have evangelized it a lot, got my friends and family to download (+10 sales)
And your game is getting traction, word of mouth and exposure on the eshop. It was featured on the Nintendo Show 3D as well as as that tweet from NOA, and prominate placement on the eshop.

Also IGN's Nintendo team usually does a really good job at promoting eshop games. :)

DaBoss

Bumping this thread for a question. How much coverage has this game been receiving? It seems someone at Nintendo (well NoA at least) is really promoting this game. Looking at one of the promotions the game is getting this week, "Media Darlings" (it was called something like that), seems to indicate the game is a critically acclaimed success and has been one of the 3DS' most public games. Really glad for its success. It's truly well-deserved.

Odrion

Banned
Gunman Clive is like the little indie game that could. It was a really good idea to port the game to other platforms.

serplux

Bumping this thread for a question. How much coverage has this game been receiving? It seems someone at Nintendo (well NoA at least) is really promoting this game. Looking at one of the promotions the game is getting this week, "Media Darlings" (it was called something like that), seems to indicate the game is a critically acclaimed success and has been one of the 3DS' most public games. Really glad for its success. It's truly well-deserved.

I'm sure the IGN review this week will also help it get more public attention. It's honestly been getting one or two promotions from different sites/outlets per week, and that's been helping it maintain its sales.

Also, between this and Bird Mania 3D and Pokemon Dream Radar and their high amount of sales, it shows that there's a pretty market for $2-3 dollar games on the 3DS.

Gunman Clive is becoming a sleeper hit! So glad about that.

Now I can finally say that Gunman Clive was one of my favourite games last year; not my favourite one, but a game that really brings good memories when I think about that. Also because it was the first game I played in my hometown when I came back for Christmas after a really tough periods of exams and stress. So now when I just hear the main theme, well, I feel warm :)

DGRE

Banned
Did you have doubts about pushing the game to eShop before going through with it? What about playstation mobile, how do you think it would do there?

Pikma

Banned
I finally bought it today (eShop version), it's fucking great, loving the music and the heavy inspiration from Mega Man, the bosses are great too!

Taker666

It's a great game (although it is very short).

I was impressed by the quality and depth of 3D as well (better than most full priced retail titles). It really worked well with the artstyle.

Gunman Clive is becoming a sleeper hit! So glad about that.

Now I can finally say that Gunman Clive was one of my favourite games last year; not my favourite one, but a game that really brings good memories when I think about that. Also because it was the first game I played in my hometown when I came back for Christmas after a really tough periods of exams and stress. So now when I just hear the main theme, well, I feel warm :)

The music was ace - reminded me a bit of Jonas Tunander's cover versions at times. Beril - I don't recall from the credits, but were you responsible for the music as well or was it contracted out?

Hero

Yeah a game benefits from actual buttons. Who knew?

Clearly the majority of millions of iOS and Android owners were waiting for the day when Gunman Clive came to the 3DS eShop before purchasing it there.

Love how Beril starts an interesting thread a month ago about his personal indie game and shares with us data and breaks it down and includes accompanying graphs of which many people find in this thread interesting and you narrow it down to the sole fact that it's because the 3DS has buttons.

Bravo, sir, bravo.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Awesome work! Great job on the success story - your next game sounds like it'll be right up my alley so I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. :>

@MUWANdo

Banned

The eShop has a fairly limited selection of quality titles, which means the same few games are featured whenever they do a special section/feature on "fan favourites!" or "critically acclaimed!" or whatever. I'm sure Gunman Clive will be featured in every one of these promotions in the near future, not just because it's a good game that's selling well but because there simply aren't a whole lot of alternatives. Big fish, small pond, you know how it goes.

Clearly the majority of millions of iOS and Android owners were waiting for the day when Gunman Clive came to the 3DS eShop before purchasing it there.

Love how Beril starts an interesting thread a month ago about his personal indie game and shares with us data and breaks it down and includes accompanying graphs of which many people find in this thread interesting and you narrow it down to the sole fact that it's because the 3DS has buttons.

Bravo, sir, bravo.
You're saying this game doesn't play better with actual buttons and a d-pad? As an owner of both iOS and 3DS versions I'm speaking from experience. I played it maybe once on my iPhone and while I appreciated it, I didn't like how it controlled and didn't play it again. Playing the 3DS version was much more enjoyable to me. Is it such a ridiculous notion that a game like this can be more well-received on a platform that allows you to use buttons and a d-pad to control it?

Also, are you GAF-stalking me or something?

gundalf

I think this game would be near perfect if the character speed would be gently increased by 10%~15%. Can we haz update plox?

farnham

Banned
Bought on 3ds. I like the style. Hopefully this means more platformers for eshop. The controls are just better with a dpad imho

Hero

You're saying this game doesn't play better with actual buttons and a d-pad? As an owner of both iOS and 3DS versions I'm speaking from experience. Is it such a ridiculous notion that a game like this can be more well-received on a platform that allows you to use buttons and a d-pad to control it?

No? Where did I say that? I'm attacking your argument, not your opinion. A 2D platformer is going to control better on a system that has a directional pad and physical buttons over one with a virtual layout, that's not being disputed. The notion that you're going "oh well duh it sells better on 3DS phones and tablets don't have buttons" is both short-sighted and false as there are plenty of games on iOS that use virtual controls that sell well despite there being options to play on systems with superior controls. The Grand Theft Auto games, Scribblenauts, Tetris, even Minecraft are all examples of this.

I think this game would be near perfect if the character speed would be gently increased by 10%~15%. Can we haz update plox?

That was my sole criticism of the game, I wish the characters were just slightly faster but I assumed it was due to a design thing. If Beril could weigh in or comment on this it'd be cool. :)

serplux

The eShop has a fairly limited selection of quality titles, which means the same few games are featured whenever they do a special section/feature on "fan favourites!" or "critically acclaimed!" or whatever. I'm sure Gunman Clive will be featured in every one of these promotions in the near future, not just because it's a good game that's selling well but because there simply aren't a whole lot of alternatives. Big fish, small pond, you know how it goes.

Well, there are only 89 eShop games on the 3DS right now, and of those, I'd say about 1/4 of those are quality titles (although most of the others are somewhat decent). So the marketplace isn't very full.

beril

No? Where did I say that? I'm attacking your argument, not your opinion. A 2D platformer is going to control better on a system that has a directional pad and physical buttons over one with a virtual layout, that's not being disputed. The notion that you're going "oh well duh it sells better on 3DS phones and tablets don't have buttons" is both short-sighted and false as there are plenty of games on iOS that use virtual controls that sell well despite there being options to play on systems with superior controls. The Grand Theft Auto games, Scribblenauts, Tetris, even Minecraft are all examples of this.

That was my sole criticism of the game, I wish the characters were just slightly faster but I assumed it was due to a design thing. If Beril could weigh in or comment on this it'd be cool. :)

I kindof agree that it could have been a tiny bit faster; the controls are based on an old prototype I made years ago which in turn lifted a lot of parameters directly from Bionic Commando Rearmed IIRC. I thought about speeding him up a bit, but decided against it to keep it managable with touch controls. I guess I could have sped him up in the 3DS version but that would have required a lot of tweaking and possibly changes to the level design, and it would have felt a bit wierd after growing accustomed to the game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just got it yesterday on the e-shop, and have a fun time playing it. Hope to see more of such title on the e-shop

-MB-

I kindof agree that it could have been a tiny bit faster; the controls are based on an old prototype I made years ago which in turn lifted a lot of parameters directly from Bionic Commando Rearmed IIRC. I thought about speeding him up a bit, but decided against it to keep it managable with touch controls. I guess I could have sped him up in the 3DS version but that would have required a lot of tweaking and possibly changes to the level design, and it would have felt a bit wierd after growing accustomed to the game.

Adding a run button isn't an option?

-What hidden part of the eShop is GTA available on?
-Scribblenauts on iOS is $0.99, on eShop it's $39.99 so there's that
-Tetris is not a 2D platformer and can be controlled just fine with touch controls
-Minecraft is not on the eShop and the iOS version is a gimped "Pocket Edition" which sells for $7

Gunman Clive benefits greatly from having a d-pad and buttons, more so than most games available on iOS and it also has the whole big fish/little pond thing going for it in eShop.

Hero

Ahh, gotcha, I see your point with the game being designed for touch controls at first. It's not a huge complaint or anything but often I just wish I ran faster to not miss moving platforms and what not.

Moving forward with your next game(s), if you plan on putting them on multiple DD services will you tailor the experiences to the platform (i.e. touch controls vs physical buttons)?

-What hidden part of the eShop is GTA available on?
-Scribblenauts on iOS is $0.99, on eShop it's $39.99 so there's that
-Tetris is not a 2D platformer and can be controlled just fine with touch controls
-Minecraft is not on the eShop and the iOS version is a gimped "Pocket Edition" which sells for $7

Gunman Clive benefits greatly from having a d-pad and buttons, more so than most games available on iOS and it also has the whole big fish/little pond thing going for it in eShop.

So you finally see that there is more to the explanation of the sales data for this game than "eShop has physical buttons duh."

beril

Ahh, gotcha, I see your point with the game being designed for touch controls at first. It's not a huge complaint or anything but often I just wish I ran faster to not miss moving platforms and what not.

Moving forward with your next game(s), if you plan on putting them on multiple DD services will you tailor the experiences to the platform (i.e. touch controls vs physical buttons)?

I'm focusing on 3DS for my next game, with potential ports later. It's still very early but, if I go with my current plan I foresee a number of issues on smartphones though, both technical and gameplay related, so it's possible that it'll actually be exclusive, or maybe 3DS/VITA

The Hermit

this is an example of why more games should be priced the same as their iOS/android on the eShop (I am looking at you Scriblenauts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom