• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a Bit Worried about Mass Effect: Andromeda

Jawmuncher

I'm just worried about it playing like Inquistion. If I am forced to do side quests to play the main story so help me....

Omadahl

Banned
DA:I put the nail in the coffin for me in terms of Bioware games. I'll wait for impressions and a massive discount. I want a well written story, not a button mashing resource collectionfest.

nashman

It will look like that on a good PC or a PRO but that disclaimer was more for X1 or base PS4. Were effects and resolution will be reduced.

Rootbeer

Banned
I liked Inquisition. Better than DA2, IMO. I'm definitely worried about Andromeda though. They haven't adequately convinced me that this is going to be a good game, barely shown off any gameplay. They act like I should want it based on the name alone.

But...people are saying that graphics aren't so hot so where does that leave it?

I feel like those people haven't seen the game then. It's not quite Battlefront, but it's one of the best looking RPG on the market from what we've seen, and if previous Frostbite trailers are any indication, there's little chance that it'll be noticeably downgraded before release.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But...people are saying that graphics aren't so hot so where does that leave it?

It looks fine.

vlcsnap-2017-01-08-11y2obp.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-08-11adpzn.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-08-11ywr5t.png

vlcsnap-2017-01-08-11jfqsa.png

TheYanger

I watched the latest trailer (which I really liked). But notice how that at the end it says 'Not actual gameplay footage.' How are we not getting actual gameplay so close to launch? Doesn't this signal a bad vibe regarding the game's state?

Or am I being paranoid?

I mean, we HAVE seen actual gameplay. Those videos aren't actual gameplay because why would that video possibly exist in game? Those certainly look like game assets, just the video itself doesn't exist in game. Perhaps not in engine either, though again the assets are certainly not cg or anything.

- J - D -

I feel like those people haven't seen the game then. It's not quite Battlefront, but it's one of the best looking RPG on the market from what we've seen, and if previous Frostbite trailers are any indication, there's little chance that it'll be noticeably downgraded before release.

It looks fine.

*snip*

Hey, I didn't say it looked bad, but a lot of folk are constantly ragging on the animations and character models. But I'll stop before someone is tempted to post that blasted gif.

TheYanger

Hey, I didn't say it looked bad, but a lot of folk are constantly ragging on the animations and character models. But I'll stop before someone is tempted to post that blasted gif.

The thing that bothers me about the gif getting posted all the time, the animation itself isn't really that bad, it's just awkward as fuck contextually. If they were TRYING to make Ryder do a "Fuck everything you guys are all idiots" kind of exasperated look it would've been fine, it just doesn't work as a 'hey a gun is pointed at you' disarm animation.

DataGhost

I mean, we HAVE seen actual gameplay. Those videos aren't actual gameplay because why would that video possibly exist in game? Those certainly look like game assets, just the video itself doesn't exist in game. Perhaps not in engine either, though again the assets are certainly not cg or anything.

Have we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRStRzbBD_g

The "gameplay" trailers has this tidbit where it says captured in Engine. Representative of gameplay experience.

Which worries me a bit on why they haven't shown us actual gameplay.

m_dorian

I am worried too but for different reasons, OP.
ME:A looks great, Bioware's artists are at their finest forms. Also, If there is any sense left, Bioware will keep and enhance ME3's great game play. I do not have any problem on class switching too.

I am worried about story and characters. The Asari looks meh at best and i am not an admirer of Walters's storytelling abilities. I also know nothing, and have being hearing not many good things, about Schlerf plus he is not a Bioware employee any more.

Also, subjectivity. The things i dislike could be someone else's gold and vice-versa.

I don't know what everyone is on, the game looks hype to me. I can barely control my excitement and anticipation for it. It will look glorious on my PC and PS4 Pro.

I have to admit though that I'm a little worried about the lack of marketing for it on EA's part. I hope they aren't foolish to think that this game doesn't need marketing. I know it's already popular but any game can benefit from good marketing.

Jimmydg

I'm worried in terms of story (They didnt show nothing and maybe it's a part less important in this ME) and gameplay. They showed exploration in mako and too much action. I want to see some city exploring.

Yep, I'm thinking the switch to Dice's Frostbite engine, away from the unreal engine (that's what they're using, right?), is creating problems for the team. They should've left Bioware to continue developing the games using an engine they were much more familiar with. This new Mass Effect should, by all accounts, be using Unreal 4.

Hope it turns out great.

Yep, I'm thinking the switch to Dice's Frostbite engine, away from the unreal engine (that's what they're using, right?), is creating problems for the team. They should've left Bioware to continue developing the games using an engine they were much more familiar with. This new Mass Effect should, by all accounts, be using Unreal 4.

Hope it turns out great.

I 100% believe this, you could tell with Inquisition the engine was causing them problems.

This one looks OK but it is quite dark.

I wish they would show Virmire-quality daylight environments.

Jeez, what is with this Virmire stuff all the time? It's an exotic-ish beach with vaguely sci-fi buildings and a great mission. I'm not really seeing which aspects of Virmire are so gripping that they completely outstrip the glimpses of Andromeda we've seen thus far. In fact, compared to many of Mass Effect's environments its aesthetic seems quite ordinary.

We've seen plenty of daylight environments and more than enough foliage, so do you just want to see a planet with water features?

Looks like last gen with chromatic aberration tbh.

DAE PS2 game???!?!

Seriously, this sort of rhetoric gets tossed around far too often. Please, show me a handful of games from last gen that achieve the same level of image quality.

Halabane

OP you are not wrong. This is beyond troublesome. Recall most bioware games have come with books and comics before release ( DA,ME and SWTOR). For as I now I have not seen anything.

The trailers are anemic. Boring. Their conversations with us is almost non-existent and more like they were trying to hide something. The best I can hope is maybe they are trying not to ruin some big surprise?

But right now it's not a game I am thinking about. Frankly I had forgotten it was so soon. There are way too many games to compete with it. Horizon and Zelda are going to take that time slot. Since I don't care about the MP, its now looking..can't believe this...but I will probably play it when it gets a big price drop. Unless the reviews go thru the roof.

Deku Tree

I'm worried too. Since it's an EA game it will probably get a steep price drop quickly after launch. So I'm just gonna wait on reviews and look for a price drop. 2017 is too packed anyway.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Almost always when a publisher is confident about how a game is going to do, they'll put out a ton of media for it beforehand. This hasn't recevied the same kind of attention, and that makes me concerned about how much actual content is in the game.

Plus, we're way too close to the disaster that was NMS to be comfortable with "don't worry, all this stuff is in the game! It's going to be great!"

I think the big thing that stuck out to me that made me believe they had problems with the engine were the cutscenes/cinematic camera in Inquisition. First, any time cutscenes played it seemed to eat up resources and if you alt+tabbed out of your game and came back they would stutter. But, more importantly was the limited use of the cinematic camera in the game. The majority of conversations in the game is that awful static, third person camera, that allows for no facial expressions and no movement. Only really important conversations get the cinematic camera.

No other BioWare game has done that.

Example:

Mass Effect 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39J69QYKEA&list=PL28F222B983EB9777&index=7

You're typical cinematic camera use, A camera + B camera. Close ups for expressions.

Inquisition: https://youtu.be/pF9lEIqwpdY?t=1m9s

Awful static camera, no movement, no close ups, no facial expressions or animation.

Thankfully, Shinobi has confirmed that Andromeda will use the cinematic camera for the "majority" of conversations. So it seems they've mostly solved the issue.

RoKKeR

I'm really not. The marketing has been suspect, but following what shinobi and the devs have been saying about the game has me hyped.

Doing an original trilogy playthrough right now in preparation.

Basically with every Mass Effect game since the first, you saw evidence that Bioware were really hitting their groove and getting to focus more on the games themselves without wrestling too much with the engine, like they no doubt had to with the first Mass Effect.

With this game, I get the feeling like maybe they're starting from square one in a lot of respects, and it shouldn't be that way.

Zen Aku

as a big Mass Effect fan. Yeah I'm not feeling very hyped at all. I pre-ordered it but I would drop it immediately if it doesn't look good. Bioware haven't look good in my eyes for years now.

I think the big thing that stuck out to me that made me believe they had problems with the engine were the cutscenes/cinematic camera in Inquisition. First, any time cutscenes played it seemed to eat up resources and if you alt+tabbed out of your game and came back they would stutter. But, more importantly was the limited use of the cinematic camera in the game. The majority of conversations in the game is that awful static, third person camera, that allows for no facial expressions and no movement. Only really important conversations get the cinematic camera.

No other BioWare game has done that.

Example:

Mass Effect 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39J69QYKEA&list=PL28F222B983EB9777&index=7

You're typical cinematic camera use, A camera + B camera. Close ups for expressions.

Inquisition: https://youtu.be/pF9lEIqwpdY?t=1m9s

Awful static camera, no movement, no close ups, no facial expressions or animation.

Thankfully, Shinobi has confirmed that Andromeda will use the cinematic camera for the "majority" of conversations. So it seems they've mostly solved the issue.

A substantial amount of dialogue with party members in Mass Effect 3 took place in a similar manner.

A substantial amount of dialogue with party members in Mass Effect 3 took place in a similar manner.

Not really, what you're talking about was the auto dialogue exchanges you could have with party members. This was a great addition as it allowed for a lot more dialogue reacting to recent events without being a full blown scene. But, any actual conversation in ME3 used the cinematic camera. Inquisition has pretty much all conversations use the camera system shown above, even important side quests. It's only the really important stuff that gets a cinematic camera.

chaosaeon

The first time they showed the game was completely dull.
The big trailer with that jank animation looked awful, the dialogue in it sounded like it was from a free to play mmo.
The small 2 minute gameplay from the other day looked like a mess of just running around shooting at everything as though it were a match in a horde mode instead of the story.
PEEBEE.

And one of the people working on the story was apparently the guy who wrote Halo 4 and Destiny's story. And guess what ? Now Mass Effect has "the Pathfinder" "the chosen" and "the anointed." Just hearing that stuff made my expectations for the story fall to a $20 or less buy. I hate that "the speaker, the traveler, the awoken" garbage. It's all interchangeable and means nothing to me. Just write a story and stop using titles for everything in your convoluted high school level plots. Shepard wasn't called "The Spectre."

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The marketing for the game has been terrible. EA has absolutely dropped the ball there.

Thankfully Bioware is one of my favorite studios so I'm not too worried about the actual state of the game, but the marketing is some of the worst I have ever seen. We needed a solid 15-20 minute demo at months ago to really show how everything fits together and flows.

Top Bottom