• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi (LA Noire) bankrupt, studio assets to be sold to KMM

Coolwhip

Banned
Sounds suspicious after all the issues they had. The core gaming industry is getting unhealthier by the day. Wonder if it will crash with the next consoles.

It was crazy how long this game took and how much money must have went into it .
Sony put 20 million into it and that was around 5 years ago .
This gen for killing allot of devs but you can see bad management had allot to do with that .

ElRenoRaven

So it's really happening. Damn I feel for all those ex Team Bondi people who are now stuck working with that asshole again and what's left of his studio

Zen

Banned
It's funny when you contrast how reasonable David Cages comments were and then the hate storm that followed. :riplolemote:

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Ridiculously long dev times are beginning to creep up a bit more lately.

Project_Trico.jpg

Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII_2009_01-29-09_01.jpg_500.jpg

Not counting GT5 and RDR, because Polyphony and Rockstar actually released other products.

To be fair, Versus XIII has followed the same silly Square Enix tactic of 'announce it a year o two before we even start working on it, and the spend another year + working on it as a side project whilst working on another project before we begin full production'. Team ICO? No excuses, although at least they are involved and working on the ICO/SotC ports so you can technically say that they were involved in putting something out whilst they've spent for ever on their new game.

Ushojax said:
And there are some people on GAF who want massively more powerful consoles. Studios are going bust making games for these ones!

That's a poor argument to use when talking about what went down here. This doesn't have a lot to do with powerful consoles. Team Bondi's issues come from incredibly bad management. There are several stories (and emails) showing just how bad it was there.

Dipswitch

Unsurprising since McNamara appears to have burnt all his bridges. Complete shoe in the balls for the other staff though. Hope the new gig works out for them.

So you have Team Bondi shipping 4 million units of LA Noire and going bankrupt, and then you have Atlus shipping 200K units of Catherine and profiting with the highest Atlus launch to date.
Funny old world

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Ridiculously long dev times are beginning to creep up a bit more lately.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Project_Trico.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII_2009_01-29-09_01.jpg_500.jpg[/IMG

Not counting GT5 and RDR, because Polyphony and Rockstar actually released other products.[/QUOTE]

Trico has a very small team and not using some super expensive tech.
Versus has a very small core team plus it's not like they all have been working on it for years like LA Noire.
You know something is wrong with a Dev team when Sony bail out after giving them 20 million .

Anyone who read up on this game had a idea this might happen .

AAK said:
Help a noob out....

How does this work? Doesn't Rockstar pay Team Bondi to get the game out in time? Doesn't the publisher suffer if a game doesn't sell properly, not the developer?

I suspect that the publishing deal was exceedingly favorable towards Rockstar and probably guaranteed little for Team Bondi other than funding to complete the game. But they were desperate.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
SolidSnakex said:
That's a poor argument to use when talking about what went down here. This doesn't have a lot to do with powerful consoles. Team Bondi's issues come from incredibly bad management. There are several stories (and emails) showing just how bad it was there.

The truth is that the vast majority of studios are incompetently managed. Combined with the huge expense of modern development it's no surprise studios are going down left, right and centre.

Zen said:
Team ICO? No excuses, although at least they are involved and working on the ICO/SotC ports so you can technically say that they were involved in putting something out whilst they've spent for ever on their new game.
It wouldn't be shocking to find out that Team Ico plan long dev times, I doubt they have hundreds of people working long hours(thou I could be wrong.)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
BlazingDarkness said:
So you have Team Bondi shipping 4 million units of LA Noire and going bankrupt, and then you have Atlus shipping 200K units of Catherine and profiting with the highest Atlus launch to date.
Funny old world
One game cost a zillion dollars to make, the other one didn't.

But yeah, I have comment a lot recently on how this is going to make or break the industry in the coming years. If things don't change, I can't see how the market can continue without completely cratering.

PSFan said:
Now games will have to sell 10 million units the first week to break even
Remember realtime worlds and APB? Remember how they pissed away more than 150 million on that game? With bad management nobody gets out alive.

DangerStepp

DaBuddaDa said:
There was a big thread a little while ago with David Cage of Heavy Rain infamy said that the face tech in LA Noire was a dead end, unsustainable and not the direction the industry should be headed in. Many jumped at his throat and it turned into a David Cage/Heavy Rain shitfest.

Lookie what we have here...
So the facial animation technology used in L.A. Noire is what bankrupt them? Please link me to the source!

Dennis

Banned
Ushojax said:
And there are some people on GAF who want massively more powerful consoles. Studios are going bust making games for these ones!
Natural Selection at work.

If the price for vastly more powerful consoles is that only the best developer are left standing, I am all for it.

If making a hit like LA Noire isn't enough to keep you afloat...well then maybe you are incompetent at your chosen business.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
It wouldn't be shocking to find out that Team Ico plan long dev times, I doubt they have hundreds of people working long hours(thou I could be wrong.)
Team ICO is like 40 people tops.

gblues said:
Good developers don't work their employees in permanent crunch mode, and don't let the scope of their project exceed their budget.

Yes, yes they do. Bungie did it, Blizzard did it, Naughty Dog probably did it.

Massa

Ushojax said:

This has nothing to do with these consoles. Any business managed by McNamara will find the same fate.

StuBurns

Banned
DennisK4 said:

If the price for vastly more powerful consoles is that only the best developer are left standing, I am all for it.

If making a hit like LA Noire isn't enough to keep you afloat...well then maybe you are incompetent at your chosen business.
You say that, but if The Witcher 2 had been made in the US, it'd be a bomb.

DangerStepp said:
So the facial animation technology used in L.A. Noire is what bankrupt them? Please link me to the source!
There was a post somewhere else on Gaf detailing how the game before Rockstars involvement was a brawling game and had many more sections to it, scraping all that and retooling all the game play would have cost an assload of time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StuBurns said:
It hasn't reach four million yet I believe.

Furthermore, such a number sounds particularly small/unimpressive when you consider the strength of the R* brand.

DangerStepp

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
There was a post somewhere else on Gaf detailing who the game before Rockstars involvement was a brawling game and had many more sections to it, scraping all that and retooling all the game play would have cost an assload of time.
Yeah, I saw a link earlier; just came to post an edit. Thanks!
Sad situation all around. :(

Dennis

Banned
StuBurns said:
You say that, but if The Witcher 2 had been made in the US, it'd be a bomb.
Yeah.....No!

Because it would have sold 10 million and be hailed as the Second Coming of Gaming by the American games media who can only really seem to get behind games that are American (Weaboo journalists excluded). So no hype for you, Euro-game!

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
Such a number sounds particularly small/unimpressive when you consider the strength of the R* brand.
Certainly compared to GTA/RDR it's not great. But it's more than Bully I believe.

Even at full price that's only like $140M for the publisher.

DennisK4 said:
Yeah.....No!

Because it would have sold 10 million and be hailed as the Second Coming of Gaming by the American games media who can only really seem to get behind games that are American (Weaboo journalists excluded). So no hype for you, Euro-game!
I don't think people know or care where games come from. Although just to be clear, I've been playing it lately, and it's incredible. I'm not bagging on the game.

The games industry will learn nothing from this and continue to push towards games with ridiculously over the top budgets which are guaranteed to ruin the lives of everybody involved with making them.

DangerStepp

DennisK4 said:

Let's be realistic here... with each console generation aren't we just making the full circle back to PC anyway? It's the alpha and omega of gaming and I'm bookmarking this for future "told you so" reference.

:)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
DennisK4 said:
Yeah.....No!

I never knew you were a conspiracy theorist.

bobbytkc said:
Game sells 4 million.
Devs go bankrupt.

I don't know what to believe in anymore.
Rockstar owning the IP outright and the massive miss management shows that this shouldn't be
used as an indicator for the greater industry.
Those sales did turn into profit but just not for Bondi.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I'm surprised so many HATED on David Cage for saying what he said, it sounded perfectly reasonable. GAF needs to reflect.

Exactly. You can say what you like about Heavy Rain and its flaws, but Cage was right about this. Sony look like they bailout.gif'd just at the optimum time. As we've seen several times, if its financially viable and is groundbreaking tech, Sony tend to go for it. They obviously weighed up the cost and sustainability of the L.A Noire tech and concluded it wasn't worth the extra investment.

DangerStepp

-Pyromaniac- said:
I'm surprised so many HATED on David Cage for saying what he said, it sounded perfectly reasonable. GAF needs to reflect.
I'm not surprised, but then again many probably came to the thread with a fire beneath their rear. He's one of those cats that people are predisposed to hating.

He makes bold claims and thus gets the Dyak/Molyneaux treatment around here.

Princess Skittles said:
One game cost a zillion dollars to make, the other one didn't.

But yeah, I have comment a lot recently on how this is going to make or break the industry in the coming years. If things don't change, I can't see how the market can continue without completely cratering.
Well that's my point, many people would argue that Catherine is a much better game than L.A Noire, it sold much less but Atlus still made a profit.

Developers need to budget better

Top Bottom