• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 doesn't ask me for more money.

Haines

Banned
This is so refreshing.

Even when I don't spend money on that stuff its grating to see it everyone I play a game.

Sometimes it's used to give free dlc. Some how this game will give free content without that money grabbing stuff.

Maybe not every game needs loot boxes after all?

Giever

There's amiibo exclusive stuff. That's pretty much analogous to micro-transactions (actually, amiibo's are probably more expensive than a lot of micro-transactions, but I guess you get a little figure that you might not want, at least).

Well, there's Amiibo. And they could always add paid DLC later.

But I do agree that it's quite refreshing overall and I hope it stays this way. The nice thing about Amiibo is that it's never pushed on you in-game.

They got more of my money...

s2a.jpg

It is admittedly refreshing to get a fully featured and priced release with no sight of paid DLC (aside for amiibo functionality which is very very minor) in sight but promises of good support anyway.

I believe it is more that it's nice to not see nagging stuff in menus trying to get you to pay for DLC
At least, that's how I feel.

At least I get some nice figures to display with my Amiibo, much better than overpriced cosmetics.

Locking stuff behind some figures people might not want that you can't get any other way is lame regardless. "A nice figure" doesn't excuse it for being timed DLC when the Amiibo well runs dry again.

Well, with only 6 new maps, the return of timed playlists/map rotations and poor online connectivity, I'd hope they wouldn't throw in microtransactions.

120v

well they're just now getting around to the concept of DLC in general

not trying to shit on nintendo but i wouldn't rest my laurels on the future of splatoon staying this way

well they're just now getting around to the concept of DLC in general

not trying to shit on nintendo but i wouldn't rest my laurels on the future of splatoon staying this way
I think DLC will remain free if the series continues to sell amazingly.

Risev1

At least I get some nice figures to display with my Amiibo, much better than overpriced cosmetics.

At least I can hit the digital store and buy the cosmetics I want. Amiibo's are extremely rare and overpriced where I live so I don't even have the option of buying them regardless of the fact that I really do want the in-game cosmetics they offer.

13randO

"games as a service" rules. I played TF2 for years and will continue to play Overwatch for years.

Second that. I like games that stay relevant for a long time just as much as I like games that are solid one and dones. Also, yeah the amiibo stand is in the back of Inkopolis; I wouldn't say it's intrusive at all.

watershed

Banned
Well you barely can play it after the year ends unless you pay them.

What are you referencing here? Nintendo announced free dlc for 1 year and Splatfests for 2 years. But even after the Splatfests end, you will still be able to play online any time. They aren't shutting down the servers.

The fact that amiibo double as figurines or toys or what have you does not negate that there is content locked behind the paywall of purchasing those items, aka DLC.

DLC is included in Splatoon 2, it's just cleverly included in a way where you feel like you're not paying for DLC... but you are. Let's not argue semantics.

Well, with only 6 new maps, the return of timed playlists/map rotations and poor online connectivity, I'd hope they wouldn't throw in microtransactions.

havent gotten a single connection error at all and i have been playing non stop also never had issues during any of the testfires people really need to switch to wired play for online games.

Yukinari

With the advent of people selling custom amiibo cards and the availability of powersave devices its really not so bad these days.

havent gotten a single connection error at all and i have been playing non stop also never had issues during any of the testfires people really need to switch to wired play for online games.

yeah, at most I've had a small number of issues where someone else disconnects, but I've never disconnected even once. Maybe some people here just have shitty internet?

Honestly I feel like it'd be very, very easy to play through the game for ages without realizing there were amiibo tbh
Amiibo logo appears on the top right in the menu, the last menu tab asks if you want to save your set to an amiibo, and there's a huge amiibo box in the box. It's not in your face but when you accidentally look at it it's a reminder that your not a true Splatoon fan until you own at least two figures.

udivision

"Do you ask players for more money?"
"..."
"You will."

Nintendo's Paid Online service finally launches.

On a serious note, other than Smash and Zelda I don't think I've gotten DLC for a game.

Top Bottom