• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sack Lather: Sony exec confirms LBP2, supports Move

:) I hope they have it as DLC as well but I will buy the game disc hope it come with packed in with Move

and hope that player go back to LBP to see what we making now

Good to hear. At first I thought just having new updates would be fine, but adding water really showed that they need to upgrade the engine at some point.

Can't wait to find out more. LBP is my favorite game this generation, and I can only assume a sequel will top it. :D

Yoboman said:
Maybe, hopefully, a new Demon's Souls

But SCEJ is garbage and I get the impression they are kind of small
It sucks, because they used to be Sony's most prolific arm. SCEA and SCEE have been growing like mad over the years, while SCEJ have remained stagnant. =/

But I can't be mad at them. They house Team ICO, and this gen they've given me Demon's Souls, which is my second favorite game this gen after LBP.

Since the original LBP is pretty much the pinnacle of post-launch support for a game, I really hope that LBP2 offers something completely different. Someone in the other thread mentioned making it a 3D platformer instead of 2D, and I think that would be the bees knees.

TheOddOne said:
Media Monecule is gonna get sucked into the sequal route :(

If you must get sucked into creating entries in the same franchise for all of eternity, you could do a lot worse than LittleBigPlanet.

TheOddOne

autobzooty said:
If you must get sucked into creating entries in the same franchise for all of eternity, you could do a lot worse than LittleBigPlanet.
I must be in the minority but their not much you can improve on LittleBigPlanet (because its already pretty great).
Add DLC , new features and some preformance patches like every three months and its pretty much a substantial upgrade.

TheOddOne said:
I must be in the minority but their not much you can improve on LittleBigPlanet (because its already pretty great).
Add DLC , new features and some preformance patches like every three months and its pretty much a substantial upgrade.

No, I totally agree with you there. That's why I want a new LBP to be something very different. Something that would not replace LBP1. A 3D platformer, for example. Or a cover-based third person shooter.

TheOddOne

autobzooty said:
No, I totally agree with you there. That's why I want a new LBP to be something very different. Something that would not replace LBP1. A 3D platformer, for example. Or a cover-based third person shooter.
Most sequals are built on the foundation of the first one. Its pretty much a upgrade in preformance and nice new features.
Their not gonna change the gameplay, because it would alienate people that bought the first one.

Ranger X

TheOddOne said:

Well, it's so fitting that I will tell you exactly what I said in the other thread. You guys really don't see what can and should be improved over LBP? This is pure blindness.

How about having a layer view in order to work on one layer at a time? How about linking something with more than one switch? How about a variable bank to use? How about rotating objects in the Z axis and not just X ( or Y whatever)? How about teleporting your characters? How about having hub levels to link and create your "adventure"? How about a creature creator? How about a costume editor? How about a music maker?

How about the game being server based instead of being a P2P bullshit lagfest? How about having an interface more effective and easily to navigate then the planet thing? How about a game that would actually promote your stuff so you don't have to PR for DAYS on the internet so someone plays your level?
How about REAL profile pages like YouTube with updates and maybe a blog-ish option or being facebook-like so the community REALLY is knitted together and levels really being played? How about having a real report system where you can actually write what you're complaining about? How about a real rating system that isn't forced in your face and also doesn't default on the current score? (so kids wouldn't hazardeously rate and people wouldn't rate bad in a impulsive way) How about the levels having more criterias to them so they can find their audience more easily like having a difficulty tag and a genre tag too instead of just a name and description?
Also, what about having ONE rating system instead 3 like right now? We could also have a REAL tag system aka keywords you write so it helps the search system.

Seriously, I am the biggest fan of LBP but each time there's a thread about this game, I can't help but feel that either people's imagination is dead or I am a super genius or something. There's A HUGE FUCKING MEGA TON of stuff that could (and should!) be improved over LBP. It's also one of the buggiest AAA this gen.

If I was to design LBP2 it seems I would freaking blow your minds off the stratosphere or something.

TheOddOne

Ranger X said:
Well, it's so fitting that I will tell you exactly what I said in the other thread. You guys really don't see what can and should be improved over LBP? This is pure blindness.

How about having a layer view in order to work on one layer at a time? How about linking something with more than one switch? How about a variable bank to use? How about rotating objects in the Z axis and not just X ( or Y whatever)? How about teleporting your characters? How about having hub levels to link and create your "adventure"? How about a creature creator? How about a costume editor? How about a music maker?

How about the game being server based instead of being a P2P bullshit lagfest? How about having an interface more effective and easily to navigate then the planet thing? How about a game that would actually promote your stuff so you don't have to PR for DAYS on the internet so someone plays your level?
How about REAL profile pages like YouTube with updates and maybe a blog-ish option or being facebook-like so the community REALLY is knitted together and levels really being played? How about having a real report system where you can actually write what you're complaining about? How about a real rating system that isn't forced in your face and also doesn't default on the current score? (so kids wouldn't hazardeously rate and people wouldn't rate bad in a impulsive way) How about the levels having more criterias to them so they can find their audience more easily like having a difficulty tag and a genre tag too instead of just a name and description?
Also, what about having ONE rating system instead 3 like right now? We could also have a REAL tag system aka keywords you write so it helps the search system.

Seriously, I am the biggest fan of LBP but each time there's a thread about this game, I can't help but feel that either people's imagination is dead or I am a super genius or something. There's A HUGE FUCKING MEGA TON of stuff that could (and should!) be improved over LBP. It's also one of the buggiest AAA this gen.

If I was to design LBP2 it seems I would freaking blow your minds off the stratosphere or something.
So bascially a more-streamlined LittleBigPlanet. I still think most those features could be added to LBP through a patch.

TheOddOne said:
Most sequals are built on the foundation of the first one. Its pretty much a upgrade in preformance and nice new features.
Their not gonna change the gameplay, because it would alienate people that bought the first one.

I think making another 2D platforming LBP would make people who bought the first one be like "why should I buy this game when the one I already have still gets tons of support from both the devs and the community?"

i think their only choice is to take it in a new direction. And Super Mario 64 certainly didn't alienate people who bought Super Mario World.

cakefoo

Mm's efforts would yield better returns if they went with a full release because of all the natural mindshare it generates.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
autobzooty said:
I think making another 2D platforming LBP would make people who bought the first one be like "why should I buy this game when the one I already have still gets tons of support from both the devs and the community?".

I think it depends how much new stuff were to be introduced. There's plenty 'new' that could be done in a 2D LBP.

By this reckoning any game could/should have its sequels patched in rather than released as new games. But people expect devs to draw a line around new stuff in a franchise and release it as a new game, that's the norm.

Thrakier

Ranger X said:

How about gameplay that's actually fun and has some depth to it?

Ranger X

TheOddOne said:
So bascially a more-streamlined LittleBigPlanet. I still think most those features could be added to LBP through a patch.

Not the level of effectivness I would want them to be. There never was and there never will be a game that will basically be redesigned completely through a patch. The game I am describing there is so different than LBP that people would actually value it as sequel that really improves the game.

Thrakier said:
How about gameplay that's actually fun and has some depth to it?

Trolling much? This is already there my friend. Or maybe you should play games you like and leave the thread of games that are subpar to you.
LBP is what you make it. If you'd play a badly designed Mario level it will become a boring game. It's all about what people create. Just with a jump, a grab and a couple of power-ups + the physics envirronnement and you've already reach the depth of Mario and like 99,9% of all platformers out there.

Thrakier

Ranger X said:
Trolling much? This is already there my friend. Or maybe you should play games you like and leave the thread of games that are subpar to you.
LBP is what you make it. If you'd play a badly designed Mario level it will become a boring game. It's all about what people create. Just with a jump, a grab and a couple of power-ups + the physics envirronnement and you've already reach the depth of Mario and like 99,9% of all platformers out there.

I'm surely not trolling the game. I made a big level and invested a lot of time, played through the game and custom levels for hours. But the longer I played it, it became more and more boring. And the controls became more and more annyoing...and I came to the conclusion that they didn't nail the core gameplay and the mechanics.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Ranger X said:

And you see, the thing is, this stuff is mostly easily achievable through patches to the original games. We've seen a lot change since launch.

The problem? Mm doesn't seem to be doing much with that opportunity. There have been features promised and there seems to be a lot of features that should obviously be tweaked with (the online search system) but for some reason Mm is not patching the game. They're releasing content very slowly on LBP, mostly rehashing last year's content for this year's holidays....and their current Beta involves testing new network code for stability. All pretty shallow stuff for having been 2 years since the launch of the game. The most substantial change was Online Create (a feature promised at launch) and water.

So, considering all that happening, it seems that Mm is "busy" with other projects in mind, which is why they haven't been performing too efficiently with updating LBP.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave up with all their ambitions for patching LBP and just decided to start fresh with a new game (L4D2/L4D).

But the longer I played it, it became more and more boring.

This is the concept behind every video game....in fact, any entertainment.

Regardless, as time went on, levels only got better and bigger so eh.

And the controls became more and more annyoing...

Funny. Typically with controls, you get better the more you use them.

I got used to the controls in about 2 days so lol.

Ranger X

Dogenzaka said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they gave up with all their ambitions for patching LBP and just decided to start fresh with a new game (L4D2/L4D).

Well, if it's because they realise how broken certain parts of their game is and they decided to start fresh on more solid grounds, I am all happy and will buy LBP2 given it's great. There's a couple of things in my list that could be patched in the game but in overall is pure non-sense. It would be so much do to and test that you might as well make a new game instead. You will never see a game change quite completely through a patch or change it's layout, interfaces and systems like that. It's sequels that normally does that.

Thrakier

Dogenzaka said:
Funny. Typically with controls, you get better the more you use them.

I got used to the controls in about 2 days so lol.

I didn't say that I performed worse in the game because of the controls. I'm not even talking how the gameplay is hindering the players performance. That's not the point. It's about how much FUN it is. You know, in some games, doesn't matter if 3D or 2D it's already fun just running around with the character. In LBP it's not. Imo they didn't nail this aspect and the fact alone that there was so much talking about that should show that there are issues. And I don't care if those issues are there because "it should be like that". I only care wether it's fun or not. Still everyone is free to like it as it is, that's fine.

Dogenzaka said:
And you see, the thing is, this stuff is mostly easily achievable through patches to the original games. We've seen a lot change since launch.
I don't believe it is. We've reached a point where new features are constrained by the underlying engine LBP is built upon. Water was the last major addition to LBP, one that brought forth significant changes to the game and allowed for many new avenues of gameplay, and the game can barely handle it. Any level with water has massive framerate dips and screen tearing galore. It's barely playable.

They need to vastly improve the engine in order to continue improving the game's design, and you can only do so much via patches.

wizword

Banned
Willy105 said:
Hopefully they can make LBP play as good as promised.
What is the problem with littlebigplanet gameplay. The story mode is probably one of the best platformers I've ever played. The problem is they fell hard on user generated content. The fact that you couldn't make music and I had to hear the same 15 tracks is horrible. They should honestly do something about music.

I wish we have actual enemy this time. call the game LittleBigUniverse and introduce new race other than sackboy as the 'alien' enemy.

also, for people that want adjustable platforming physics like gravity slider etc, I don't think that's feasible because it'll just screw with casuals just wanting to play user created level because they may have to adapt to new gravity setting for every level they played.

I think a good way to deal with that is by having 2 or 3 body types for sackboy that each have different feel to them. kinda like how Mario and Luigi differ with each other. if they can add some specific ability to each of these sacktypes, they could have interesting co-op mechanic added to their game.

Ranger X

wizword said:
What is the problem with littlebigplanet gameplay. The story mode is probably one of the best platformers I've ever played. The problem is they fell hard on user generated content. The fact that you couldn't make music and I had to hear the same 15 tracks is horrible. They should honestly do something about music.

Actually the real problem is the game not designed well enough to let you FIND the great user content. Because there is litterally HUNDREDS of levels of equal OR BETTER quality than MM ones out there. (safe the fact users cannot have their own assets of course)

Crisis

Banned
I just got my copy of GI in the mail. LBP 2 is inside of it. Someone run down the rules of summarizing an article so I don't get banned and I'll type it up.

Crisis said:
I just got my copy of GI in the mail. LBP 2 is inside of it. Someone run down the rules of summarizing an article so I don't get banned and I'll type it up.
All you have to do is hit the major points of the article and you'll be fine.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Crisis said:

God bless you.

Massa

Crisis said:

You can't post a scan and you can't actually retype the article here.

The information is free. :D

BeeDog

Crisis said:

Just don't transcribe the text 100 % and you'll be fine. Bullet points would be awesome. :D

jmd494

Crisis said:
tee hee hee yay!

Also, if there are screenshots, do they look like LBP 1? Or a new style?

MrPliskin said:
I don't agree.

I think there is room for improvement with LBP, specifically relating to the platforming. Simply making sackboy heavier while maintaining his jump properties could help to eliminate some of the floaty behavior.

I think there are gameplay tweaks they could make, and introducing them in LBP simply isn't possible as it would break every level published. LBP2 is welcome (not to mention they can't make THAT much money off of DLC alone).

I completely agree with you. I just want to get a disc with a concise set of professionally developed levels.

I was never that into keeping up with what the best user created levels were, and there were so many crappy ones that it just turned me off to looking at all.

Majine

Banned
Well I'm very curious about this. If all the community levels and DLC from the first game carries over to the second one, it can't be too much different.

Or, they could just do something completely new. Start over.

Excited nontheless.

Top Bottom