• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sack Lather: Sony exec confirms LBP2, supports Move

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Hope it also changes the gameplay big time. While I'm a fan of the first I'd like this to be much more than just added content and Move support.

NeoUltima

Raist said:
There is no need for LBP2. Just keep updating the first one.
My thoughts too...In fact, not too long ago MM said there would not be a full on LBP2...I expected a "LBP Move Edition" ala GOTY edition, not a full on sequel. I wouldn't be surprised if that is all this is and this dude is confused calling it "LBP2".

Only problem with LBP was that it was no fun to play. I couldn't bring myself to waste time, no matter how satisfying the creation process might of been, when the end results was a lot of hard work for something that played like shit. Their system for sharing user created content was also horrible. Not going to fall for the hype this time. Motion controls lol.

spwolf

NeoUltima said:
My thoughts too...In fact, not too long ago MM said there would not be a full on LBP2...I expected a "LBP Move Edition" ala GOTY edition, not a full on sequel. I wouldn't be surprised if that is all this is and this dude is confused calling it "LBP2".

they have to make money somehow... I am sure LBP2 is coming.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
NeoUltima said:
My thoughts too...In fact, not too long ago MM said there would not be a full on LBP2...

Again, no they didn't. Quite the opposite in fact...they heavily hinted at a sequel in the link I posted.

MrPliskin said:
The LBP tools are super easy to use and build with...all this pointer talk makes me believe none of you have even tried to create anything.

I still get mixed up with layers when creating. Never got so used to that that it became something I didn't have to think about. Move could make that 'disappear', just move the controller in or out to the appropriate layer.

More fundamentally, though, the mechanics of the toolset were created with the constraints of the joypad in mind. They had to make some significant tradeoffs in order to keep the mechanics of creation reasonably accessible. The equation of tradeoffs necessary might change if they could focus exclusively on Move.

Ranger X

Guys, this will be LBP2 and that's how they will implement Move.

They don't want to fragment LBP userbase with a Move feature patched in. You need to start anew and it's exactly what they seem to do.

You should also see it as a huge positive since they can totally redesign the parts of LBP that were quite totally broken, like the community side per example.

Ranger X said:

They don't want to fragment LBP userbase with a Move feature patched in. You need to start anew and it's exactly what they seem to do.

You should also see it as a huge positive since they can totally redesign the parts of LBP that were quite totally broken, like the community side per example.

i'm sure it'll still be broken when LBP2 is out just like their online that half works half don't.

Crisis

Banned
Ranger X said:

I agree with this. And hopefully fix the fucking lag when playing online.

trk_rkd

Banned
Crisis said:

They did fix the fucking lag, it plays great now (although still takes a few seconds longer than I'd like when jumping in and out of other people's hearted planets etc - but actual multiplayer is fine now)

when was the last time you played it anyway? must've been a while ago.

Ranger X

Crisis said:

And it's not even the worse problem.

-The interface is shit. Their planet style was designed like there would be 100 user levels created instead of 3 millions.

-Nobody can effectively find the good content --- leaving a bad taste for the community side of things and for creators who can't reach their audiences.

-No true report system

-And yes, lag. But this will probably resolved. The only reason LBP is full of lag is that it's not "server-based" but "Peer-to-Peer". With a game like this, you cannot just connect people together and pray they won't lag. LBP needs servers, lots of servers and that's exactly what Sony's pockets should bring. (if they got half a brain at least).

After visiting media molecule last year, I'm not surprised about this announcement. There's a metric ton of stuff their working on and Sony's recent buyout only makes the sequel more obvious. Honestly, the franchise needs it regardless of what people might think of userbase fragmentation, etc. Not only that, a sequel is a perfect vehicle for another merchandise launch.

Raist said:

Pretty much. Why split the community? This is a major issue specially when you have the whole create system...

Just continue adding gameplay features through DLC... it's been working great so far...

BeeDog

I'll take a new game gladly. Those who recommend MM to keep updating LPB1, why? Gamers easily move on, and adding major content to an already-old game simply won't make the same impact as if they push out a full-priced sequel that can brag with major additions.

DeadGzuz

Banned
BeeDog said:
I'll take a new game gladly. Those who recommend MM to keep updating LPB1, why? Gamers easily move on, and adding major content to an already-old game simply won't make the same impact as if they push out a full-priced sequel that can brag with major additions.

This. Why does Sony want to keep dumping time and money into a game that is no longer selling? They can expand the game play, add new tools, Move support, engine advancements, etc. and have a whole new game launch with better marketing. They want to make money, not support a dead product especially if DLC revenue is tailing off.

It the same reason we are not playing Madden 2007 with roster updates. It's a business and they need revenue.

Metalmurphy said:
Pretty much. Why split the community? This is a major issue specially when you have the whole create system...

Just continue adding gameplay features through DLC... it's been working great so far...
If the game had similar legs to a Nintendo evergreen title, then cool... continue with DLC. But making a sequel with robust improvements to possibly include playing the older community levels would not only get more hype from critics and the press, it helps manifest the possibility of a larger launch on top of a new revenue stream. Believe me, I'm one of the biggest supporters of Mm, but ideals such as splitting the user base need to go out the door. If it's better, they will come.

Fresh new eyes and perspective are needed for this game, especially with the way console gamers are rather throwaway with their games.

Owzers

I didn't think the game was very fun....at all. I played it with my two cousins and brother over christmas and they had more fun playing New Super Mario Bros 2 players, making 2 people watch, then everyone playing LBP. The main problem was movement between the foreground and background.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Danielsan said:
I'd wish I could agree.
I really like LittleBigPlanet but it's tremendously flawed.
Which is logical consider it was their first attempt and it was a huge undertaking.

-LittleBigPlanet 2 desperately needs a vastly improved netcode.
The lag in LBP is ridiculous and really hurts the game as it becomes near impossible to enjoy a 4 player online game.

-The level distribution system is far from efficient. The way levels are made available really needs improvement.
-The editing tools are great but improved user friendliness and more features wouldn't hurt.
- Add a creature editor (think spore).
-The feel of the gameplay could use tweaking. My main issue with the game is that the gameplay doesn't feel rewarding. It's too loose, too unpredictable. In a way that's part of the charm but I quickly lost interest.

I have a feeling you haven't played LBP since 2008.

Danielsan

Dogenzaka said:
I have a feeling you haven't played LBP since 2008.
As a matter of fact I bought and played the Pirate of the Caribbean content online and it still has many of the same issues that it had when it released. The netcode might be slightly better but it's still shit.

Please be backwards compatible with the first game, please be backwards compatible with the first game.

I may pass on it for awhile if all my dlc doesn't carry over. No way I'm throwing that all away.

Crisis

Banned
trk_rkd said:
They did fix the fucking lag, it plays great now (although still takes a few seconds longer than I'd like when jumping in and out of other people's hearted planets etc - but actual multiplayer is fine now)

when was the last time you played it anyway? must've been a while ago.

I played it today actually. And it still lags.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe we haven't already seen a new one.

I mean, it's wasted series potential.

Slavik81

Raist said:
Yes. The first game is severely lacking in costumes. We need many, many more updates to make up for this deficiency.

Yoboman

I want to see LBP2 as something completely different, but still within the "Play Create Share" framework

Even if it's a platformer still. I'd like a new aesthetic, new gameplay style. I don't want to play a rehash of something that was lauded so highly for it's creativity and originality. Same reason I had no interest in the PSP version

I wouldn't buy a sequel unless they got rid of the physics-based movement. I hated it - I felt like I was slogging through mud the whole game and jumping was so unsatisfying.

Since physics-based movement is a big part of the game's identity tho I doubt it'll change. I'll just enjoy looking at the screenshots. Loved sackboy and the style of the graphics, but the control was icky.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cool.
I guess I'll just repost my thoughts from the official thread....
I <3 LBP but I'm very curious about how they would do a sequel this generation considering how many levels have been created and all the DLC that has been released. Maybe they could do a Rock Band thing where you can use all your content in the new game and you could find levels from the first but if they did that it might defeat the purpose of making a new game. As much as I'd like a new LBP I think I'd rather they either wait until PS4 launch or use their creative talent on making a new IP while still supporting LBP.
Also, I would like to see them keep in 2D instead of going 3D and I'm fine with them tweaking the controls to make them more accessible but I hope they still keep them momentum/physics based, I liked it.

Yoboman

LBP2 needs to be it's own thing. Making the same thing but incrementally upgraded is just so against the whole concept of LBP as far as I'm concerned. Plus it would kill off the first game's community, whereas a fresh idea would make a new community

I'm not sure what they'll do though. Maybe they will take it 3D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
MM better be cooking something big since it will be 2 years (this fall) since their first game. So much potential.

Top Bottom