• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Slavik81

This FexEx thing is bad... The arrow is weird. It bugs me.

Son of Godzilla said:
Is that the GameInformer (Or whoever) "Our Audience would view this as a 6.x game so that's what it get's" review? The backlash was huge, but in retrospect I can't help but agree. The dialogue is reprehensibly childish and combat detrimentally simplistic. They were undeniably right, if only for the wrong reasons.
EDIT: Nevermind. Too off-topic, even for me.

Shiggie

SDZeta said:
Ahhh and anyone else got shit scared when they noticed the 2 faces in Secret of Mana? I noticed one of them when I played for the first time 10 years ago and it freaked me out.

secret01.jpg

Why would they do that? Whyyyyy.
i shat bricks :O

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Metalmurphy said:
What really blows my mind is that fact that she's not even attractive but gets all sort of attention just cause she's in the gaming industry.

Ugh...

WHAT ?... ok... you know... you might have some insane standards... but not even being in the JRDF...

jaderay.jpg

you mean to tell me the woman in the picture is not attractive ?????!!!!!!?????

... sigh...

Jirotrom

Amir0x said:
greatest comment in this thread:lol

Panajev2001a said:
WHAT ?... ok... you know... you might have some insane standards... but not even being in the JRDF...

... sigh...
he's simply crazy

TJ Spyke

Son of Godzilla said:
Is that the GameInformer (Or whoever) "Our Audience would view this as a 6.x game so that's what it get's" review? The backlash was huge, but in retrospect I can't help but agree. The dialogue is reprehensibly childish and combat detrimentally simplistic. They were undeniably right, if only for the wrong reasons.

Famitsu is the same way. If they think a game will be a hit, they will give it a better score than they would if they thought the game wouldn't sell that many copies.

Also, Game Informer (2 words, just pointing that out). Also, they were so worng with that because the game was great. It should have been at least a 8. They were also in the minority since the game has a 87.9% average on Game Rankings and 87 on Metacritic.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Struct09 said:
It's been posted to GAF before, but Tingle (Zelda series) looks a lot like Koji Kondo (music composer for Nintendo)

Tingle.jpg

220px-Koji_kondo.jpg
The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Kondo-Tingle.png

MikeB

Banned
I was surprised Duke Nukem 1 & 2 on the PC ripped Turrican graphics from the Amiga (and a bit from Savage).

duke_rips.png

Prince8

Banned
Panajev2001a said:

jaderay.jpg

... sigh...
Well she's quite good looking yeah, hard to unsee/deny that.

MikeB said:
I was surprised Duke Nukem 1 & 2 on the PC ripped Turrican graphics from the Amiga (and a bit from Savage).

Duke Nukem 1 and 2 are great games anyway, though. And they don't PLAY anything like Turrican, they just copied some of its graphics...

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Here is something I was blown away by:
Apple god Steve Jobs used to work for Atari and was asked to design the chipset for the hit game Breakout. He enlisted the help of Steve Wozniak who made the game so efficient that Atari's engineers couldn't understand it well enough to use in the final build. However Bushnell (Atari's founder) was so impressed he gave Jobs a $5000 bonus which jobs kept secret from Woz. Millions of dollars later this information helped to create a rift between the two.
One can safely assume some of this atari money went into the young Apple computers...

Also the founder of Atari also created Chuk E. Cheese. He is currently broke BTW.

Steve Urkell did Sonic's voice in one cartoon series. Jaleel white that is.

Ummm.... I wish I knew some better ones...

MikeB

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Duke Nukem 1 and 2 are great games anyway, though. And they don't PLAY anything like Turrican, they just copied some of its graphics...

Duke Nukem 1 & 2 wasn't really anything special for me, so many older Amiga games including of course Turrican were IMO far more impressive (and creative). This quick ripp off may have been something new for MSDOS fans, as before this in comparison PCs were rather incompetent for games technically.

xir said:

This is what I've always seen in this picture. I can kind of get a dragon out of the pixels to the right now that it has been pointed out, but all I can see on the left side is single-tooth mohawk guy.

Vrolokus

Banned
I read that Hyrule in the original LoZ is more or less Washington state flipped horizontally. I'm almost positive I read that someplace credible, but I don't remember where.

TJ Spyke

Staccat0 said:
Here is something I was blown away by:
Apple god Steve Jobs used to work for Atari and was asked to design the chipset for the hit game Breakout. He enlisted the help of Steve Wozniak who made the game so efficient that Atari's engineers couldn't understand it well enough to use in the final build. However Bushnell (Atari's founder) was so impressed he gave Jobs a $5000 bonus which jobs kept secret from Woz. Millions of dollars later this information helped to create a rift between the two.
One can safely assume some of this atari money went into the young Apple computers...

Also the founder of Atari also created Chuk E. Cheese. He is currently broke BTW.

Some corrections.

It's Chuck E. Cheese. The guys name is Nolan Bushnell, and he is NOT broke. Just in 2006 he started an interactive entertainment restaurant called uWink Media Bistro. Customers can order food and drinks via screens from their tables. They can also enjoy games, movie trailers and short videos from their tables. The first opened in Woodland Hills, California.

Your info on the Breakout situation is off too. The incident is desbribed in Steven Kent's book "The Ultimate History of Video Games", but I will summarize:

Atari wanted to release Breakout, and wanted to keep costs as cheap as possible. The company saved about $100K for every chip removed before production of the game began. They wanted their engineers to reduce the number of chips but nobody wanted to volunteer. Steve Jobs agreed to do it (this was also around the time that he and Wozniak were developing the Apple II) and got Woz to do it for him (Jobs never actually designed anything at Atari). The average arcade game from Atari at the time had 75 chips, and Woz was able to get it down to about 20 or 30. The problem was that nobody else could reproduce that design and eventually Al Alcorn (head of Atari's R&D) had to get another engineer to do the job. Bushnell and Alcorn disagree on the exact amount that they paid Jobs for it. Bushnell says he offered $100 per chip and gave Jobs a $5,000 bonus since Woz had removed 50 chips. Alcorn says that they offered $1,000 for every chip under 50 he got, and since Woz got it to 20 that meant Jobs got a $30,000 bonus.

Here is where your info is wrong though, Jobs DID tell Woz about the bonus; he just lied about how much it was. Jobs said it was $500, and he would give Woz half. Woz would later find out the truth while on a airplane years later while reading a biography on Jobs (and got confirmation when he talked to Bushnell). You are right in that it caused a rift when Wozniak found out since he didn't think Jobs would ever do something like that to his friend.

Two of the most widely known custom maps in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Supply Depot 2 and Braundorf_b4 include some nice pictures used as walltextures.

img_23a57dbd8c8df8b8ebacba4453b3b25e.jpg

img_764f63b93d4db6510a0bd83406221c06.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
Ezduo said:
The bushes in Super Mario Bros. were just recolored clouds.

smb.jpg

Thats pretty crazy hehe. After playing Super Mario Bros for almost 20 years (i actually played it alittle yesterday) i have never noticed or thought about that :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
In Pilotwings 64 you can see an ice texture that looks like the face of Jesus in one of the caves somewhere. Google it.

Parl

KittenMaster said:
Because the clouds have buttocks and the bushes don't.
You make a very valid point. Although, it doesn't entirely rule it out as they could have just thought "right, we need a cloud. Let's just grab that bush and give it an ass and spray all over it"

acm2000

Ezduo said:
The bushes in Super Mario Bros. were just recolored clouds.

smb.jpg

i for one will now boycott every mario game for this laziness on nintendos part! i demand they recall the game and replace every cart with a version with a proper bush sprite! whos with me! :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, I just read this thread, and that Mario screen is bothering me.

smb.jpg

Why does the coin counter have 3 digits?

ashiato

Charlatanized said:
DMA Designs, the company behind Lemmings and the N64 games Space Station Silicon Valley and Body Harvest would go on to become Rockstar North and produce the industry-changing Grand Theft Auto III. It sort of blows my mind that people completely overlook Body Harvest as a primitive GTA III.

DMZ Designs, the company behind Grand Theft Auto 1 and 2 went on to become Rockstar North and produce the industry-changing Grand Theft Auto III. It sort of blows my mind that people completely overlook GTA1 and 2 as a primitive GTA III.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
TJ Spyke said:
IIRC, you can get more than 100 coins. You get an extra life at that point, but the coin count doesn't reset.
This is not the case for any version of Super Mario Bros I've ever played.

Trakdown

Sixfortyfive said:
So, I just read this thread, and that Mario screen is bothering me.

smb.jpg

Why does the coin counter have 3 digits?

This screen shot must be from Vs. Super Mario Bros., the arcade game.

orioto

Good Art™
Well, i don't know if it was "normal", or if i dreamt it. Maybe some of you has seen it also :

In FFVI, in the last battle against Kefka, i had a "bug" after a magic of him, that made my console finally freezed. But the most troubling in it is that before that, sprite were randomly replaced, and Tina became the late general Leo, using his action set and all...

I wanted to exorcised the game at that time. But "pic or it didn't happen" i guess...
It was back in 96, in my grandma's house, in bretagne, right in front of a cemetery !!

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Jag22 said:
Fact: Sega was so poorly ran that they were paying companies like Timex (Shenmue) and Pizza Hut (Crazy Taxi) to put their products in Sega's games. Basically Sega was paying companies so they could advertise their products.

I'm kind of sure that a lot of games containing real brand name products had to pay for it, actually.

Either way; WTF, green clouds :O

Top Bottom