• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Wild logo - Forest scene or wild beast?

minnesota_wild_2001.gif

I usually don't like the newfangled fancy schmancy hockey logos but I've always LOVED this one. Gorgeous and deeeeeep.

MGS3
when fighting "the end"(old sniper man), if you dont play the game for a long time and turn it back on, he will have died of old age...

thats what i heard anyway...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I had people who wanted to kill me because I said Squall was Laguna's son despite them having played the game fully. Like pay attention to the game you damn dorks!!!!

Odrion said:
The untouchable hidden levels they showed off in Banjo Kazooie as a way to hype people for the sequel are actually easily obtainable by punching in a secret password.
Do you just mean the eggs and the ice key? There are no hidden levels in Banjo Kazooie, just three that never made it in to the game. Mount Fire Eyes is one of them, and it ended up being the fire half of Hailfire Peaks. Fungus Forest is another, and that got reworked and put into Donkey Kong 64. The final one is some weird one called Hammerhead Beach, that was supposed to be involved in Stop 'N Swap.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
A Black Falcon said:
And apart from (or before) the Nazis, those meanings are pretty much all positive.
Not to mention that it is an extremely simple AND efficient pattern/design that has often shown up in architecture and decorations.

suaveric

I really liked the original Chicago 2016 logo:

old-chicago-olympics-logo.jpg

Is that the Olympic torch or the city's skyline and its reflection in the lake?

Kazenone

Final Fantasy I: The invisible person in Cornelia is actually...a woman! True mind-blowing fact.

Final Fantasy IX: Zidane Tribal re-arranged is...Lazier Bandit!

Eiji

SDZeta said:
Ahhh and anyone else got shit scared when they noticed the 2 faces in Secret of Mana? I noticed one of them when I played for the first time 10 years ago and it freaked me out.

secret01.jpg

Why would they do that? Whyyyyy.

Looks like the supposed "Mars face"

2ezjton.jpg

SDZeta said:
Ahhh and anyone else got shit scared when they noticed the 2 faces in Secret of Mana? I noticed one of them when I played for the first time 10 years ago and it freaked me out.

secret01.jpg

Why would they do that? Whyyyyy.

I actually remember a Game Players article about this and other RPG easter eggs... the game apparently also had a little book that open up and reveals a cute little pixelated naked chick, tits and all.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
BakedPigeon said:
Im going on a "once youve seen it you cant unsee it" hunt tomorrow.

read a short story in science fiction magazine bck in the early 90s called pictures of jesus, where some dude finally sees the hidden picture in a book, but then starts seeing all this crazy shit and then some dragons come and eat him. good stuff.

jman2050

Crushed said:
oh i get it alucard is dracula backwards this game makes so much more sense now

You silly gaijin, your calling him 'Alucard' instead of the truly correct 'Arucard' shows your blatant disregard to the beauty that is the Japanese language. While it's obvious that an inferior tongue like English could never express the power and emotion that beloved languages of the East convey, the ignorant lowlifes of the West could do well to use their language in a way that at least attempts to honor the beautiful tapestry of Japanese names. Of course, this expectation is in vain with such miscreants being raised on mind-numbing vidcon trash like Madden and Halo. It is my hope that you, gaijin, break free from the brainwashed ignorance that has filled you from your youth on and embrace the only true source of artistic expression. Arucard would be proud.

Steroyd

genjiZERO said:
I don't really mind taking that long to get a FF game. I'd rather them take their time and come out with a stellar title. But I know what you mean about 12. For a game that took 5 years to make you'd think they'd actually write a coherent story for it.

You do know the guy who originally started the project was ill half way through and had to quit, which put FFXII on ice that's why it took that long and that's why the story wasn't coherant, it was made by 2 different people.

revolverjgw said:
I actually remember a Game Players article about this and other RPG easter eggs... the game apparently also had a little book that open up and reveals a cute little pixelated naked chick, tits and all.

miicgh.gif

Seeeexxxxy!

In Earthbound, if you buy the house and check in the drawer you can find an excerpt from the book that Haruki Murakami and Shigesato Itoi wrote together. I learned this well after I'd completed Earthbound multiple times and after becoming a fan of Murakami's, so my mind was blown.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
jman2050 said:
You silly gaijin, your calling him 'Alucard' instead of the truly correct 'Arucard' shows your blatant disregard to the beauty that is the Japanese language. While it's obvious that an inferior tongue like English could never express the power and emotion that beloved languages of the East convey, the ignorant lowlifes of the West could do well to use their language in a way that at least attempts to honor the beautiful tapestry of Japanese names. Of course, this expectation is in vain with such miscreants being raised on mind-numbing vidcon trash like Madden and Halo. It is my hope that you, gaijin, break free from the brainwashed ignorance that has filled you from your youth on and embrace the only true source of artistic expression. Arucard would be proud.
but it's dracula backwards

dracula isn't dracura

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. The cloudbush thing really blew my mind. Not sure if it made my day or ruined my life. Nothing is as it seems, I guess.

2. FedEx arrow thing is unseeable. I learned of it a couple years ago and to this day when I'm drivin around and a truck passes I have to look. It's like an old-lady upskirt. Don't wanna but ya gotta, y'know?

3. That frozen yogurt shit is stupid. I tried singing along with the wrong words and I still didn't get it.

jman2050 said:

Also, Shimon Belmondo > Simon Belmont

Feep

Banned
jman2050 said:
God, I love this game. B-BALLSSSSSSSSSSS

Brannon

Kadey said:
I had people who wanted to kill me because I said Squall was Laguna's son despite them having played the game fully. Like pay attention to the game you damn dorks!!!!

How could people not know this!?

Proven

Ugh, there was a "Tranny Surprise!" thread on NeoGAF many months ago with both video game characters and real life people.

They told me there that Vivian from Paper Mario 2 (the purple ghost-witch sister that becomes one of your partners) is a man. Part of me died inside that day, as she was my favorite partner in that game.

But to be sure, I went and found proof: http://www.mariowiki.com/Vivian

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Digital Limit said:
Whoa, what's that?

Smash brothers stage; you play through the first level and sometimes into 1-2. The idea is that 20+ years have passed and everything is now decaying. Including the cloudbush. :(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
PantherLotus said:
3. That frozen yogurt shit is stupid. I tried singing along with the wrong words and I still didn't get it.
Yeah, I'm trying to see if there's some hidden layer to this joke, but I'm starting to think it's just dumb.

Proven

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, I'm trying to see if there's some hidden layer to this joke, but I'm starting to think it's just dumb.

Uh...you guys do realize that it's the robot's lyrics he's referring to, right? Just making sure...

Crushed

Fry Daddy
PantherLotus said:
Smash brothers stage; you play through the first level and sometimes into 1-2. The idea is that 20+ years have passed and everything is now decaying. Including the cloudbush. :(
just like a wonderful old church lady's panties, eh

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Proven said:
Uh...you guys do realize that it's the robot's lyrics he's referring to, right? Just making sure...
Uh..yes? And it's clearly "Planetary"
This is like when people try to make up "misheard lyrics" to clearly said vocals.

Proven said:
Ugh, there was a "Tranny Surprise!" thread on NeoGAF many months ago with both video game characters and real life people.

They told me there that Vivian from Paper Mario 2 (the purple ghost-witch sister that becomes one of your partners) is a man. Part of me died inside that day, as she was my favorite partner in that game.

But to be sure, I went and found proof: http://www.mariowiki.com/Vivian
Ahahahaha. This is funny. I forgive Nintendo for Krystal and making Paper Mario 2 an unplayable pile of feces, this makes up for everything and then some. It's like Birdo, but to the 10th degree.

RevenantKioku said:
Uh..yes? And it's clearly "Planetary"
This is like when people try to make up "misheard lyrics" to clearly said vocals.
I hear Frozen Yogurt plain as day if I try to on the "Frozen Yogurt, Planetary". I mean, I'm plenty drunk, but still.

Proven

Son of Godzilla said:
Ahahahaha. This is funny. I forgive Nintendo for Krystal and making Paper Mario 2 an unplayable pile of feces, this makes up for everything and then some. It's like Birdo, but to the 10th degree.

I hear Frozen Yogurt plain as day if I try to on the "Frozen Yogurt, Planetary". I mean, I'm plenty drunk, but still.

...does not compute...

Then again... I realize I've never bothered to hear NeoGAF's consensus on the game... Is it safe for me to say that the I find the battle system the best in the series?

xir said:
Dude, wtf. I didn't understand your original post because I thought it was incredibly obvious those were fish and dragons originally. I mean, what the fuck dude. Caesar? The hell are you trying to say?

Proven said:
...does not compute...

Then again... I realize I've never bothered to hear NeoGAF's consensus on the game... Is it safe for me to say that the I find the battle system the best in the series?
Battle system is fine, even if it suffers a bit from being far too simplistic. It's the unsufferable backtracking and unrelentingly dull dialogue that murder the game. I never managed to make it past the stage where you get that ghost chick (DUDE!) as a partner because of it, but by all accounts it just gets worse.

jman2050

Proven said:
...does not compute...

I'm trying to remember if the backlash for 6.75 was huge here or not.

john tv

Golden Darkness said:
Speaking of Goomba, they are actually supposed to be living chestnuts, as their Japanese name is Kuribo, with the Kuri being chestnut.

I once thought this as well, but it's not true. In the original manuals and everything, they explicitly call them mushrooms in Japanese. I think they probably just named them Kuribo because they look like chestnuts, not because they actually are chestnuts.

beat

Juwanna Peezadis said:
You can never EVER unsee it. =( Once it has been brought to yuor attention you must live with the Fedex arrow for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.
Amateurs. This is the second time I've learned of the FedEx arrow -- the first was just a few years ago and yet I managed to forget it. Granted, I don't deal with FedEx very often. Sharp knows what I'm talking about.

The cloudbushes thing makes sense. Saving memory was so important back then. Imagine going back in time to those teams and telling them in the future game storage media is slower but so large games will have major art assets duplicated several places on disc to lower seek times.

jman2050 said:
I'm trying to remember if the backlash for 6.75 was huge here or not.
Is that the GameInformer (Or whoever) "Our Audience would view this as a 6.x game so that's what it get's" review? The backlash was huge, but in retrospect I can't help but agree. The dialogue is reprehensibly childish and combat detrimentally simplistic. They were undeniably right, if only for the wrong reasons.

Top Bottom