• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo MCC will be getting updated in Spring

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The more I think about it the more I want a 2019 Halo 6. Microsoft has a lot to get out the door next year, so I think it makes sense, and having that long to develop a Halo game on top of the foundation that they built with Halo 5 sounds very appealing. Not to mention halo 5 still has legs these days.

Me too. PGR5* will be coming with its elbows out next fall, so not much room for Halo 6 😉

*wild speculation

wwm0nkey

Halo: MCC still has to be the worst game release in my lifetime.

I don't think fixing it will do any good for the community. The entire game needs to be rebranded and remarketed.

Nothing saying they wont do this once it's all fixed. I know it is still a pipe dream and also port begging, but a PC release with the fully fixed version would go a long way as well.

Sanjuro

Nothing saying they wont do this once it's all fixed. I know it is still a pipe dream and also port begging, but a PC release with the fully fixed version would go a long way as well.

Not a fan of that idea. Still would prefer them to work on towards their console audience.

Either way, they need to figure something out.

Papacheeks

Banned
Not a fan of that idea. Still would prefer them to work on towards their console audience.

Either way, they need to figure something out.

Well Microsoft being a software company with this push for PC/Xbox Console, it would be in their best interest to broaden the customer base that's shrinking for these IP's they own.

How many more sales of MCC do you think will sell after they do this update and probably work on a Xbox One X patch?

Being able to bring the whole suit over to another platform that plays well with their existing infrastructure is a win win. Imagine all the creation stuff they could do for maps with Forge and share them across xbox live for both platforms?

I think that would be cool.
I still think it's great they have at least acknowledged that they dropped the ball with Halo in general and want to put out a olive branch to existing customers/fans.
I think it's a step in the right direction, even though it's super late.
Only time will tell on what they do and how the community reacts to it for now.

Update: I had a thought about why this kind of came out of the blue, and seriously if their big push and reasoning is MS wanting to get them to get a 4k update out for MCC then I actually think it's a little shitty to original owners of MCC.

Mainly because if Xbox One X didn't exist and have MS pushing it so hard this fall, would they have still gone and tried to patch/rework it?

Stable 4K / 60 FPS / HDR would probably tip me towards getting an X1X. But it certainly would not be at launch. Would wait for plenty of community impressions.

Or PC port. That would be cool too. 60+ FPS 1440p Halo sounds nice

ChazGW7

Update: I had a thought about why this kind of came out of the blue, and seriously if their big push and reasoning is MS wanting to get them to get a 4k update out for MCC then I actually think it's a little shitty to original owners of MCC.

Mainly because if Xbox One X didn't exist and have MS pushing it so hard this fall, would they have still gone and tried to patch/rework it?

Probably a mix of the X, fan uproar, their xbox live update and wanting to recoup the Halo reputation. Not to mention with Halo 6 coming to PC when it is finally announced, this is a good opportunity to bring 1-4 to PC (maybe Reach and/or 5 too?? A man can dream) to bring PC players up to speed of the story. Ofcourse this is just my fanboy wet dream, but still. Could be why.

Sanjuro

I'm also not clear, is this an exclusive to the new Xbox One, or being updated with the intention of it having some key features?

H2A MP was fun, best thing about the package for me at the time honestly, if they can get matchmaking working well for it again i'll take a second look in the future.

People think its a wasted effort but to a series that’ll be nice to keep coming back to years from now, its good to have the best version of this collection no matter how late. If they patched it 2 years from now, that’s not “too little too late” because its a legacy collection meant to be replayed for years.

If it had more maps, it would be perfect. At least for the hcs stuff.

I never played blood gulch in H2A because it never came up in matchmaking :<

From what I understand, the UI was one of the most difficult parts of making the whole thing work, but unfortunately for them, I think changing it should be a priority

just for the reaction of, when you boot it up, 'ohh this is new'

if everything looks the same, and theres ONE problem, people will just write it off again : /

The collection would work better if you picked which game you wanted first thing and then chose to play it's multiplayer, mixing them all together in hoppers was THE WORST thing, people would always vote halo 3 btb instead of the original halo so no one ever played those maps (I have good pc memories of halo 1 btb and was unable to relive them)

They also need to do what halo 2 did and keep matchmade groups together until they choose to quit out instead of throwing everyone out and starting from square 1 every time.

I'd happily look over the shit the Windows store is for a 4k enabled, good pc port of the MCC that includes firefight from ODST and Halo Reach.

I don't care that much for Halo 5, but if that's what I need to buy to have the rest, so be it.

Sell it at a high price, make it a 200gb download, I don't care.

I'd even buy a separate ssd to keep everything ready anytime. I want all the good stuff (campaign and co-op, for me) to be accessible and future proof (I'd like a no DRM release, but that's just impossible).

So yeah, update all you want on X, but give us a pc port Ms. Play anywhere?

Is it port begging after all these years, though? xD

Excellent news. I actually had a blast with MCC, the single player was pretty flawless in my experience and I had a good time with the MP. I wasn't playing it at launch so I missed out on when it was a complete mess. Any further improvements are just icing on the cake IMO.

Plus Halo in 4K, fuck yeah

Yeah, for real. I'll jump back in for Halo CE mp in 4k.

Yep, so will i.

IMO, they would need to update the name also so that people know its not the same old game. Maybe call it Master Chief Collection 2.0 or the Halo Collection.

Also, if they change and improve the UI and completely revamp it, it would make it seem like a new product and that would go a long way in people minds. I think that anything thats there now (visually) will just remind people of the broken version of MCC and they need to overhaul not only the back-end, but the front-end as well so that people see that this as a new, improved and better than ever product.

Yep, so will i.

IMO, they would need to update the name also so that people know its not the same old game. Maybe call it Master Chief Collection 2.0 or the Halo Collection.

Also, if they change and improve the UI and completely revamp it, it would make it seem like a new product and that would go a long way in people minds. I think that anything thats there now (visually) will just remind people of the broken version of MCC and they need to overhaul not only the back-end, but the front-end as well so that people see that this as a new, improved and better than ever product.

My god this is such a great idea. I hope it makes its way to someone at MS/343.

Probably a mix of the X, fan uproar, their xbox live update and wanting to recoup the Halo reputation. Not to mention with Halo 6 coming to PC when it is finally announced, this is a good opportunity to bring 1-4 to PC (maybe Reach and/or 5 too?? A man can dream) to bring PC players up to speed of the story. Ofcourse this is just my fanboy wet dream, but still. Could be why.

Agreed. I think it's a combination of pieces falling into place rather than just one cause.

I think they expected gamers to forget and move on faster with the release of 5. MCC funding was getting low so they went radio silent on purpose hoping to sweep it under the rug, but ended up losing a lot of customers and damaging their brand worse than they expected. However at that point it was unlikely to make any more money and no longer worth investing more cash into, so it was left to die where it was at.
Then X happened. Now there could be a new 4K selling point. Now there's opportunity again. It can be used as promotion for the new console and earn back some customers at the same time. The suits see dollar signs so the game gets some new funding and here we are. New life into what even 343 thought was a dead project.

Tales from my ass, but that's how I think it went down.

Edit: Why are there two threads? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449500

As someone who didn't play its multiplayer... i didn't experience any bugs.
I understand that that makes me one of the lucky few... so I'm glad to see it getting patched for those who did have problems.
And, as someone who's buying an X, I'm looking forward to the improvements.

As a plus... 343 have 3 years of bug reports to help them isolate problems.

nekkid

As someone who didn't play its multiplayer... i didn't experience any bugs.
I understand that that makes me one of the lucky few... so I'm glad to see it getting patched for those who did have problems.
And, as someone who's buying an X, I'm looking forward to the improvements.

As a plus... 343 have 3 years of bug reports to help them isolate problems.

I find that hard to believe. Even today there’s plenty of little problems with the campaigns.

Jawmuncher

I find that hard to believe. Even today there’s plenty of little problems with the campaigns.

I didn't have any issues with the campaigns either when I played way back when.
Wait I think I had one issue and it was just achievement related maybe? It wasn't a big enough deal to matter though. I can understand the issues people had though. But the biggest flaws are definitely tied to MP matchmaking and others.

nekkid

I didn't have any issues with the campaigns either when I played way back when.
Wait I think I had one issue and it was just achievement related maybe? It wasn't a big enough deal to matter though. I can understand the issues people had though. But the biggest flaws are definitely tied to MP matchmaking and others.

Try Halo 4 and pause and then resume, just as an example.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

I didn't have any issues at all. For me it was the gift that keeps on giving. Then I went to neogaf and saw the backlash against it, and was rather shocked.

I'm all for this update. While it is extremely late and their lack of addressing it long ago is disappointing, I'm glad they're finally update it instead of leaving the game in the state it is currently in. betterlatethannever.gif

I played through a bunch of the campaigns on legendary and I didn't have any problems, outside of Halo 4 freezing on me once. Honestly though I have always felt super lucky with the MCC since I played a ton of MP in it and I hardly ran into any problems. The only real mp problem I had was trying to play in a party at launch, but solo has worked fine for me.

wwm0nkey

Worst I had was save data deleting. After a free patches SP was smooth. Netcode for co-op is Garbo in Halo 1&2, but that is due to the engines in Halo 1 and 2

cluto

I will continue to say this until it happens: if Microsoft wants Halo to be a pretty cool guy, release these old Halo games on PC with proper modding tools/support so that classic Halo can live forever.

A few important things to note:
  • It may be simpler to release these games separately rather than trying to combine them all together like with the Master Chief Collection.
  • The Windows 10 store (or whatever PC gaming platform Microsoft tries to force on us in the future) is unreliable for consumers. See: Halo 2 Vista, Games for Windows Live.
  • These games need to be on Steam. They've already put Halo Wars and at least one Halo Spartan Assault game on Steam. Other Microsoft-owned franchises have sold extremely well on Steam (Age of Empires II HD). Steam is where the PC market is, and that's where they'll find a healthy playerbase.
  • Online play cannot be reliant on Xbox Live or some Microsoft-run online infrastructure. If they decide in the future that they're going to shut off the servers for these games (rendering them unplayable online like with Halo 2 Vista), that puts a serious damper on Halo "living forever". People need to be able to host their own servers just like with Halo PC.
  • Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure matchmaking and ranking systems are that important at this point. Halo 3 is over ten years old already. I think the super competitive scene for these older Halo games has passed by. If people want to run their own competitive games or tournaments or whatever, user-hosted dedicated servers can facilitate that. What's more important is just being able to play these games online in perpetuity.
  • Do not underestimate the importance of modding support. Having proper tools for modders to build new maps, modes, campaign levels, total conversions, etc. can pump new life into these games even fifteen years from now. Halo SPV3 is a perfect example of this.
  • If 343 cares about earning good will with the Halo community, this would be the biggest fucking olive branch they could offer -- even if it costs $60.
Please and thank you.

Muffdraul

Can they please, PLEASE patch the original 2001 sound effects in to Halo 1 Anniversary? Or was there some technical explanation of why they absolutely can't do that?

Having a day to think about this, and I can say now I’m genuinely excited.

TMCC was why I bought an Xbox One. Getting to play Halo 2 mp again was awesome, but everything was broken. They fixed it and made it better sure, but it still had big problems that still persist.

I’m really hoping they get it working great, and I can enjoy Halo 2 mp properly.

Major Opinions inbound. I fully believe a working MCC 4k/60 relaunched and re marketed would be a major success. Also i hope you all are ready for loot boxes because they are coming and i think that will help offset the costs when they include this game for all paying Xbox Live users also play anywhere with Windows 10. Steam version will also be cross play and will cost the usual 59.99....and dare i say after how good the relationship has been with Minecraft and Nintendo we see MCC on SWITCH!....i dont care what you all say iam going to keep on dreaming in

Boy did I regret Microsoft's strategy push to bring exclusives on Xbox &Win10 to happen well after MCC.

This is likely one of the best and last chances to bring MCC on PC. Hope dies last.

Top Bottom