• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feeling physically sick from the Witness?

Mik2121

No less than 3 posters laughed at me when I suggested sim sickness was the reason for no PSVR support.
I would say VR could fix some of the problems, though. To begin with, the FOV would change to normal eye FOV, and things like camera rotation speed or lack of deadzone wouldn't be a problem as everything would move when you move your head.

This happened to me with Half life 2 and a few other games. Widening the fov always fixes it for me.

Interesting you mention HL2 because one of my good friends plays almost every game, FPS and everything else, and HL2 is the only game in history that has made him notably sick. He could only play for about a half hour.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Damnit, I get motion sickness pretty bad. I never really notice it until it's too late and then I feel terrible for the rest of the day. I was really looking forward to playing too...

tuxfool

Banned
Interesting you mention HL2 because one of my good friends plays almost every game, FPS and everything else, and HL2 is the only game in history that has made him notably sick. He could only play for about a half hour.

Source games typically have a tight FOV. If I adjust it then I'm usually fine.

Karak

Damnit, I get motion sickness pretty bad. I never really notice it until it's too late and then I feel terrible for the rest of the day. I was really looking forward to playing too...

I dont mean to be rude and group you with myself in such a shity catagory but INTERNET HIGH FIVE for all day sickness sufferers. Its a shitty group to be in but I am glad I am not alone.. But unlike others mine doesn't come and go. It usually means I am down for the count for the day. I always take Dramamine for any questionable games which works wonders but didn't touch this.
The games FOV is not the issue for me. Played games with smaller ones and no aiming dot. The title feels. Focusy. Like I swear its making me just mentally taxed while playing it and just walking and my eyes feel weird.

I haven't played The Witness and don't know if I will because it's a puzzle game and expensive, but I had this same issue with Pneuma: Breath of Life.

Playing it made me feel dizzy and nauseous.

I don't think I'd ever had this problem before that.

Brashnir

Me.

I think it's a combination of the weird acceleration of movement and the fact that the framerate hitches constantly for me. (PC Version)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hopefully it's just a FOV issue and they'll give a slider on consoles as well. Biggest culprits in my gaming career spanning 34 years have been Half Life 2, Condemned and Prey.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I get it, but I easily get motion sickness. I need to try the FoV fix and yes, they need a reticle. I played for a couple hours and now I don't feel great.

Last game that gave me motion sickness was Modern Warfare 2 (few hours screwed me for a whole day) , so i am a little hesitant to pick this up on console knowing its affecting people that have never been hit with motion sickness before.

Replicant

Okay, that's not good news for me. I got physically sick from "The Unfinished Swan". I can also only play a few FPS/FPV games (Deus Ex - gave me minor headache in the first chapter, Bioshock Infinite - gave me a tad of headache from time to time).

monodlee

When i played the demo at psx a year ago, i got a little motion sick, but i just chalked that up to being in a cramped room standing too close to a large tv. (only gotten motion sickness in Unfinished Swan and Bioshock Infinite otherwise)

During the demo, there was something offputting about motion in the game, but i can't really put my finger on what it is.

Sad to hear quite a few people are getting motion sickness from this. Hope the proposed patch addresses it

Jimrpg

i got sick from the trailer!

/joking

but seriously though, I get motion sickness badly. I only lasted 20 minutes in half life 2 before stopping. And i tried to play 4 or 5 times at least.

Sulik2

I nearly threw up after playing an hour on the PS4. I think I'm gonna have to wait until they issue a patch to change some FOV settings around before I'm able to play.

statham

not this game, don't have it, but I suffer from this and it absolutely sucks. but I noticed its not all the same games other have this issue. HL2 big time, I get it from TLoU too, and I quite love that game but can't play for more then 20-30 minutes without taking a 2 hour break. I ended up not finishing it and you-tubing it because the headaches wasn't worth it.

cube001

I never get sick from playing first person games, but I got a mild nausea after a 3 hour session on PC even though I adjusted the FOV to 95 (64 vertically)... I'll try incresing the FOV today and see how that works for me.

Meneses

No problems here.

But the only time I can remember feeling bad while playing a game was with Final Fantasy Type 0, and even after they patched the camera I still can't play that game for too long.

Yrael

Interesting. I have to admit I felt a bit nauseous when I started watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look. I found that I could ease it somewhat by explicitly acknowledging the cause of the motion sickness to myself: "It's just some colours moving in a square on a screen, look away at something that's not moving, remind yourself of where you're sitting and you'll be fine." The rest of the video was manageable after that.

Always figured 8 years was too long for a puzzle game, even a massive one. But if it's actually a remake of Polybius that makes more sense~

Very surprised by the amount of motion sickness reported.

I suffer from terrible vertigo (can't use VR) but thankfully I haven't had any problems with The Witness so far. Played for about 2-3 hours straight tonight.

Sounds like YMMV.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I wonder if remote playing it to Vita would help. Hmmm.

not this game, don't have it, but I suffer from this and it absolutely sucks. but I noticed its not all the same games other have this issue. HL2 big time, I get it from TLoU too, and I quite love that game but can't play for more then 20-30 minutes without taking a 2 hour break. I ended up not finishing it and you-tubing it because the headaches wasn't worth it.

Gah that sucks! I'm surprised youtubin' it didn't affect you as much, or was that mainly for the cut scene/story parts?

AEREC

I think the only time a game ever made me feel sick was Prey and some of the portal play in it...not sure why since Portal or Portal 2 never gave me any problems.

Will be starting the Witness later tonight...hope Ill be fine.

farisr

I started feeling a little queasy when I used the run button and was trying to find the next puzzle/trying to quickly navigate the environment, turning and what not. But when I slowed down it was okay.

For reference, I play CoD and other first person games that have fast movement/turning etc, much faster than the witness, but I've never experienced this before.

Nivert

I never get motion sick from games but really felt it after playing for a couple hours. I changed the FOV but I was already queasy so maybe I'll try it tomorrow and see if it helped. I think I'll have to wait for the reticle patch though.

TSM

I knew I'd get motion sick going in since I can't really play first person games. I took a couple dramamine before I started and didn't have any issues.

Not surprised people feel sick, the 60fps feel and really bad fov is a combo for disaster which I hear is a huge part of the game and can't be changed.

Karak

Hl2 is a notorious offender. Honestly first time I have had to cancel and entire gaming day with friends due to being so sick I just had to basically sleep.

Yuuichi

I feel lucky not to have had an issue with it now. I'm usually pretty sensitive; I can't watch videos of first person games, I usually need 90+ FOV, and even with that I can still sometimes get sick (looking at you, FC2) but I've been fine so far.

More options are always nice, though.

shiba5

Games don't make me sick, but I got nauseous just watching the Giant Bomb video of The Witness. I bought it anyway. It should come with a barf bag.
(It's still an amazing game.)

majik13

All this talk of motion sickness and no one has posted a gif? Or an example?
Im on mobile so could have missed it...

G-Bus

Banned
Felt fine watching videos until I played.

No game has ever made me remotely dizzy other than the odd time playing super mario galaxy.

Not sure what it is about the game but I feel a bit disoriented at times.

Uhyve

I tried out the Witness this afternoon and enjoyed it, but felt oddly queasy afterwards. Chopped it up to what I had for lunch, until a lot of people in the official Witness thread mentioned the same thing- nausea, dizzyness, etc.

It's weird because I never get sick with games, so this is kind of crazy to me. Since there's a ton of activity in the OT about puzzle solutions I thought I'd break it out into a new thread and ask...has anyone gotten a little queasy from the Witness? Some are saying its the FOV, the lack of a center cursor, etc. Gonna try it again tomorrow on an empty stomach. :p

edit: on PS4 here.
Are you playing on a monitor or on a TV? You're meant to think of the screen as a window, and the FoV should reflect that, that's why console games have a low FoV (you're further away from the screen, so the angle presented should be narrower) and on PC you have a high FoV (because you're closer).

I've not played the game yet, so I'm just curious.

FrsDvl

Interesting! I played it a bit earlier and shortly afterwards I felt really sick. And like you I figured it was because of what I ate for lunch.

Never had any issues with getting sick from games, so maybe it's just a coincidence.

Damn, this sounds pretty awful. I might wait to get this until its patched. Only game I every felt sick from was Decent. That was 20 years ago.

joecanada

I never get motion sickness in games. I'm on the brink of vomiting after about 4 hours of the witness. I feel like crap

I've gotten dizzy and headaches from quite a few. You can try turn down sensitivity and move a bit slower in environment but mostly it's bad framerate that does it to me. If that's it there's no cure but patch

Wow. I had some unexplained nausea this afternoon after playing the game. I didn't make the connection as I've never had game-induced dizziness or nausea before but I bet this is the culprit.

Top Bottom