• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feeling physically sick from the Witness?

breakfuss

Interesting to see others mention Unfinished Swan. I've only encountered one other person (on another forum) who experienced the same nausea as me. God, it was AWFUL lol. I had to lie down for a couple hours afterward. Shame, too, because I really wanted to finish it :(

BashNasty

I feel very lucky reading this thread, I've never had motion sickness with any game, and The Witness is no different. I seem to be immune to it.

It makes me wonder though, what makes someone susceptible to motion sickness. What physical characteristics or mental characteristics would cause people to have the issue, because clearly it is a large issue for some.

ghibli99

Kinda felt odd within 20 minutes, and I *never* get motion sickness from games. Maybe it's the left stick sensitivity (seems to be virtually zero dead zone). I don't like the delayed speed-up when running either. I was looking forward to this, but I've put in my refund request with Steam.

Uhyve

The FOV is like 54 by default which is nuts for even a standard console game.
It's sounds like it's a 54 vertical FoV and that's actually quite high. It translates to about 84 horizontal, and most console games are around the mid 70s. It could be that the FoV is actually too high.

Edit: Looking at the footage, yeah, there's no way that's 54 horizontal FoV, though honestly, I can't say for certain that it's 84 FoV either.

Replicant

Odd because I've nearly puked from HL2 and Unfinished Swan but have had no issues with this 4 hours in.

Unfinished Swan was the worst so far for me. I never had to lay down after 5 min sessions in FPS game before. I mean, I get headache from time to time in FPS games but not to the point that it managed to incapacitate me and send me directly for a good night sleep.

It's weird because I've played a ton of first-person games over the years, including many mentioned in this thread as ones that triggered nausea in others. The only games I remember ever causing anything like this are Fallout 4 (once or twice in 140 hours, so probably not the game), The Witness (about as severe as what I felt from Fallout 4, which wasn't that bad), and Singularity (definitely more severe than the first two games).

RexNovis

Banned
NvymlXK.png

Drac84

Yea, I felt pretty queasy when I was playing last night and had to stop. I think i'll just need to limit my playtime to an hour or so each time, because I sure as fuck aren't going to stop playing lol. I had similar issues with Unfinished Swan and Far Cry 4 on PS4.

54 is the vertical FOV. Horizontal is adjusted based on ratio, presumably aspect ratio.

This may actually explain why some people are feeling a bit sick while others aren't. My monitor is 16:10, so a vertical FOV of 54 would translate into a lower horizontal FOV than on a 16:9 screen. It's not necessarily a huge difference, though, and obviously there are people feeling queasy on PS4 at 1080p as well.

I did mention earlier how I'm lucky I have no issues yet but I will say when I see my shadow it's like Shaggy from Scooby Doo running. Two steps take up a very unnatural distance. Quite jarring.

tuxfool

Banned
This may actually explain why some people are feeling a bit sick while others aren't. My monitor is 16:10, so a vertical FOV of 54 would translate into a lower horizontal FOV than on a 16:9 screen. It's not necessarily a huge difference, though, and obviously there are people feeling queasy on PS4 at 1080p as well.

I will say that I adjusted my FOV to 60 and I felt much better.

But I suspect that it is more than the FOV that is causing issues.

So weird. First person games have never gotten me sick. I don't why but man, that sucks.

How does FOV fix this for people that are affected?

Elixist

is this real lmfao.

i played couple hours on pc and dint get nauseaus ( stopped the camera alot to drool over the art tho) and im susceptible to motion sickness. mostly to head bob/ boat cam or bad fov, overdone shaky cam as well. some glam cams like far cry loot animations or ledge climbing after awhile can give me a headache too.

Z3M0G

My GF and i just played together for about 6+ hours. Now we are going to bed and she feels nausious...

Is it the walking/looking around? Or the puzzle solving?

catspit

The only game to ever give me motion sickness was/is the unfinished swan.. I play a lot of games also! It must be some kind is strange movement speed/bounce and the FOV but I have never experienced anything like it in my life while playing video games.

I wanted to play the witness but if others are saying this is like unfinished swan I wouldn't last 10 minutes.

The only game to ever give me motion sickness was/is the unfinished swan.. I play a lot of games also! It must be some kind is strange movement speed/bounce and the FOV but I have never experienced anything like it in my life while playing video games.

I wanted to play the witness but if others are saying this is like unfinished swan I wouldn't last 10 minutes.
If you see my post Unfinished Swan nearly killed me yet I'm not having any issues here. Can't say it will be the same for you though.

Atomski

What exactly causes this for people? I always figured car sickeness was an inner ear thing.. Never understood how people get sick watching a TV screen.

Karak

My GF and i just played together for about 6+ hours. Now we are going to bed and she feels nausious...

Is it the walking/looking around? Or the puzzle solving?

Since I am someone who normally CAN get it but normally Dramamine works and here it didn't I am wondering that myself. For example it feels like something is in and out of focus the entire time your playing and the movement attached to the camera always feels...off.
LOL 2 of our lan gamers are ex Alaskan fisherman and they got ill. So that can tell you something

RexNovis

Banned
is this real lmfao.

i played couple hours on pc and dint get nauseaus ( stopped the camera alot to drool over the art tho) and im susceptible to motion sickness. mostly to head bob/ boat cam or bad fov, overdone shaky cam as well. some glam cams like far cry loot animations or ledge climbing after awhile can give me a headache too.

Nah its a mock up of his tweet about the pee bottle. Just a joke.

Couple hours into the Witness on PS4 and I had to stop twice due to motion sickness. This isn't a frequent issue for me, I play shooters all the time and played through Unfinished Swan just fine. I rather like the game but I'm not sure I can actually play it.

Just put in another hour without changing any settings, and didn't feel any worse than when I started. So maybe I'm just used to it now, or maybe it was just a random headache.

What exactly causes this for people? I always figured car sickeness was an inner ear thing.. Never understood how people get sick watching a TV screen.

It's your eyes and inner ear conflicted. So you feel motion but don't see it (reading in a car) or see motion but don't feel it (some movies and games).

The only game that ever made me sick was Flower. I'll be playing The Witness tomorrow, we shall see what happens I guess lol

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I watched the GB QL and then after I felt sick. Didn't chalk it up to motion sickness until now. I haven't gotten motion sickness from a game in years, but this must have been it. And I just bought the game... Ruh oh.

Hopefully it gets patched on PS4. I may try to play it and see if it's different when I'm actually controlling it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I didn't realize that FOV was even a thing until I bought a PC this gen. Now it's the first thing I mess with on any first person game. That said, The Witness on PS4 isn't bothering me so far (1 hour in).
FOV is something that matters more depending on size of screen and your distance to it. When I bought a 32" PC monitor, for instance, I found that I had to increase the FOV greatly while playing on it. When moving back to the TV, though, I usually reduce it.

hydruxo

Really sucks that this is happening to people. I've played 4 hours so far and haven't had any of these issues fortunately.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I can't play for much longer than half an hour even with adjusting the fov. It sucks because I have to stop for a few hours before playing again. First person games have this effect on me fairly frequently though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
60FPS and no cursor in the middle strikes again. I haven't played Witness yet, but that can do it for a LOT of people - especially people watching someone playing the game. I think this scenario is some kind of visual overload for the brain, as it hardly ever happens to anyone watching a 30FPS game.

FOV in my experience has almost nothing do with this, and correcting FOV matters more with how far you sit from a screen of certain size.

BTA

Interesting to see others mention Unfinished Swan. I've only encountered one other person (on another forum) who experienced the same nausea as me. God, it was AWFUL lol. I had to lie down for a couple hours afterward. Shame, too, because I really wanted to finish it :(

It's interesting that people reacted so strongly to Unfinished Swan, huh. I personally had issues with the first chapter, but for me it was more that the inability to erase any of the ink you shot made it really hard to tell what anything you put too much ink on was, and for some reason this become actively stressful to me.

Certinty

Played a few hours on the PS4 and so far I've been fine.

On the other hand I couldn't play The Unfinished Swan for over 20 minutes continuously without feeling sick, which was a real shame because I love that game.

Some Guy

A lot of first-person games make me very motion sick. I haven't had any issues with the Witness though! I am primarily sensitive to games where the camera bobs a lot as you walk, though. (Half Life 2 is rough for me, and I can't play Mirror's Edge at ALL.)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I experienced this too. First time a game has done that to me, I thought it had to be fatigue or stress, but maybe it's actually something about the game itself.

Playing with vsync off on a 144hz g-sync monitor with +100fps

panda-zebra

Nothing here.

Played all day on and off yesterday, on ps4, felt perfectly fine. Did kind of notice some kind of fish-eye stretchiness to the screen edges at times, or maybe my brain was drunk from so much puzzle-solving. I sit a good distance from a fairly small TV, if that makes a difference.

Got motion sickness almost immediatly from watching the giant bomb quicklook. but I'm not getting it so bad in the game itself, can definitely feel it a little. Hopefully screwing around with the fov will help it.

Sometimes I start associating a game with getting motion sickness or something, and I almost get sick just thinking about that game, it's ridiculous. Hehe. Hopefully that hasn't happened with The Witness already. I'm only a couple of hours into it. I mostly never get motion sickness from first person games, only one I can recall is Marathon. But there are a few other terrible ones for me, like hammerfight, zombie driver.

I played for two hours last night and didn't feel ill, but it got to my wife who was watching as soon as I started the tutorial section.
So we turned on the light in the room, tuned down the brightness setting on the game, I also made her sit farther from the TV. She felt much better then. I guess you just have to immerse less into the game somehow..

Yeah, it also makes a huge different watching the game instead of playing it. The movement of the camera does it, so being in control of the camera you won't really be affected since you're anticipating the turning and movements. Same as getting car sick really, it's the passengers getting sick, not the driver.

Top Bottom