• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend added to Steam registry

FoxSpirit

Okay, the RTS parts were not that great and you really had to know what to do in the final battle. But the rest.. was awesome!!!

Or so I'd like to say but the technical implementation on PS3 was really lackluster.

PC version? Resolution, AntiAliasing, Filtering, 60fps and the chance to mod the hell out of it??? Day 1.

Tokubetsu

Oh god, if this has all the music...be still my beating heart. Day motherfucking one. Throw me into the camp that absolutely adored everything about the game on 360.

The PS3 version has been sitting on my shelf forever, but if there's a PC version, I'll definitely pick that up in favour of playing the PS3 version. Plus, at least time my money will be going to the developer this time around.

TimmiT

PC version? Resolution, AntiAliasing, Filtering, 60fps and the chance to mod the hell out of it??? Day 1.

I wouldn't count on 60fps. All of Double Fine's PC games that ran on the Brutal Legend engine have been capped at 30fps because of the engine.

I hope it's a "Directors Cut" with the lost section that had to be cut for time reasons in the console version.

Come on Tim. Do it for the metal.

Frogacuda

Banned
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/19259

Looks like every Double Fine game will be on Steam with this. Surprised to see that it's coming to Steam seeing how it was published by EA.

Probably rights reverted to DF or they worked out a deal for the PC port or something. Their other stuff on Steam is self-published, I believe. I'm sure this has nothing to do with EA.

Double Fine seems to be trying to get as much publisher-independent revenue as possible. Ever since DFA, I think they really want to be able to self-finance.

FoxSpirit

I wouldn't count on 60fps. All of Double Fine's PC games that ran on the Brutal Legend engine have been capped at 30fps because of the engine.
As long as I get pristine IQ and can mod the draw distance I am good. The blurry flickering short distance graphics hurt the game a lot when it was so much about style.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I never minded the RTS sections but I DID hate the amount of busy work the game forces you into. It's pretty pointless.

PaulloDEC

As long as I get pristine IQ and can mod the draw distance I am good. The blurry flickering short distance graphics hurt the game a lot when it was so much about style.

Yup, simply being able to run at high resolutions with some anisotropic filtering and AA would be amazing.

DF reps have occasionally actually hinted that unlocking the framerate cap is possible on Brutal Legend engine games (Stacking, Costume Quest, The Cave), but it seems like nothing has ever come of it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've never actually found the RTS sections to be hard, and I don't actually play RTS games all that much.

I even find the RTS sections fun, believe it or not. Though it's mostly for trying out the units.

danmaku

This is good news,still have the xbox version but i will buy it a second time if the price is right. Also the soundtrack was amazing.

True, the soundtrack is really awesome. They didn't just license Master of Puppets and called it a day, they dug up obscure '80s bands like Brocas Helm, Omen, Cloven Hoof, Diamond Head, Riot, Running Wild... even for Slayer they didn't pick Angel of Death or War Ensamble, no. They picked a song from Show No Mercy! You can tell this game was made by metal fans.

Doomrider

Hells yeah, this was one of the tracks I loved blasting in the Deuce.

Re: RTS parts. They're doable. I'm not about to say they're awesome or anything of the sort, but just amass fans, summon as many squads of stuff as the game lets you, win. That's it (except in the last 2 battles). I can picture it being boring/awful in the higher difficulty levels, but then why would you be playing in harder modes if you're not having fun? Actual spoiler for the game:
Flying around as a demon was extra badass, too.
Generally speaking, the game is awesome with a cool story and really funny dialogue. The amount of care that went into the art design is incredible and you'll want to learn more about the world.

Will buy again at the right price, for beard DLC.

Protome

Goddamn, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I enjoyed the game, but the audio issues in the PS3 version were just killer for me.

stuminus3

Banned
This is great, I wonder if the soundtrack will make it to PC completely intact? The licensing costs must be insane for DF if they're doing this without EA.

As mentioned already, I wouldn't bet on 60fps because of the engine... their other games are mostly built from this engine... or maybe The Cave has made them enough money to afford the time to do some re-writing. ^_^

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not sure that has any relevance here.... and where are The Cave and Iron Brigade?

I guess he's pointing out that any PC release is likely to be available on multiple DD stores, and Iron Brigade is MS/GFWL so that's probably the barrier for it being on GOG, whereas the only way Brutal Legend is getting a port is if Double Fine can do it by themselves without EA :p

Oh wow, didn't expect that. One of my favorite open worlds, I mean what other game has you electrocuting animals and then ride on them? And the car headlights as a way of GPS was a brilliant idea. Only game that has done anything interesting with GPS in an open world game is Sleeping Dogs with the direction markers, and even that was lifted from racing games.

Obviously the story, characters, voice acting were great (I welled up a few times) but I really enjoyed the unique take on a directly controlled RTS. Which was expanded in Starhawk. I loved flying around as Eddie, managing the battlefield from the air and then swooping down on enemies with a running power slide.

A very unexpected bittersweet ending too.

Love this game.

DECAPITATIOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN

iXF5XQ8XubLk2.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They're slowly running out of money for the DFA, guessing that's one way to bring more money into the studio to keep going.

yeah that isn't true at all

they got ~3 million. if their entire studio worked on DFA (which is false, because they've had several other projects since DFA went up--Kinect Party, The Cave, and Middle Manager of Justice, Amnesia Fortnight which recovered costs entirely thanks to the HIB stuff), they still wouldn't be out of money on it. And that's also excluding that many people have bought DFA since the Kickstarter, so the game still has an income stream.

OH YEAH!

Double dipping imminent, holy crap!

I hope this sells well. Because I REALLY want a sequel.
Also I want the complete soundtrack on CD.

EDIT: Oh god, I just thought of a possible custom soundtrack feature. This would be glorious!

JoseJX

I wonder if there will be a Linux version as well? The engine it runs on has been ported already with the upcoming "The Cave" release on Linux.

SparkTR

The PS3 version was buggy as hell and the IQ was distractingly bad. If they have all the songs intact and bugs worked out I'll give it another go.

EDIT: Oh god, I just thought of a possible custom soundtrack feature. This would be glorious!

I love picking and choosing which music I want to put in the playlist of the game, sometimes I'm up for industrial so I tick that category. Sometimes I just want more atmospheric like Enslaved - "Frost". Sometimes I don't want specific songs from like the death metal genre. It's fantastic how customisable it already is.

For driving, either Riot - "Narita" or Racer X - "Technical Difficulties".

I was never a fan of metal before this game, but now I subscribe to everything Tenacious D say in "The Metal".

GooeyHeat

Even the people who liked this game in this topic seemed to dislike the RTS sections, which makes me sad. I had so much fun rushing into battle with an army of headbangers. Sure, it was relatively simple, but it reminded me of the classic GIANT FANTASY ARMY WAR... only more METAL.

Also I agree on the Breadfan post.

Would love to double dip. Plus I even liked the multiplayer.

BL was one of the most memorable games from this gen for me so I'll happily double dip. The RTS sections weren't nuanced but it was fun to create a massive army and charge into the enemy with it.

Top Bottom