• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend added to Steam registry

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd buy it if Double Fine could figure out how to program their games where the framerate isn't locked to 30.

That really bummed me out when I got The Cave.

Doomrider

Are we really talking about spoilers this many years after it was released?

For the people who have never played it before and will do so for the first time when it comes out on DD services? Why not, it's not that hard to be considerate about that stuff.

Not that anything significant has been spoiled, mind you.

the rts segments are more dota than rts. I had more of a problem with the game being so short and shallow. it was a beautiful overworld and a damn fine story tho

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
OH YES! I've wanted to play this for a long time, I'm glad they are porting this to PC. Better late than never.

Nabs

I will buy this just because it's double fine... and because I need to complete the collection!

SparkTR

Oh man, I just remembered that this will revive the multiplayer community. I bought the console version way after launch and the multiplayer was absolutely dead, but apparently many people considered that to be the bread and butter of the game (and what DF designed the RTS elements around). I'm definitely getting this so I have a chance to check that out.

Hopefully they'll give this the same extra love they gave the Steam version of Psychonauts.

Prezhulio

never finished the ps3 version because of the game locking bug, so maybe this version won't be busted! at the very least patch distribution costs won't be an issue...

all that bitching aside, it's a great game.

HoosTrax

Eh that reminds me, I still haven't gotten around to buying Iron Brigade. Can't decide between buying just Iron Brigade + Toy Soldiers (I have MOTN), or the entire 5-pack.

Also, I had very low expectations of Brutal Legend ever coming to Steam because of DFNathan's comments, and all of the publisher related trials and tribulations.

This better retain the entire soundtrack. Will double dip absolutely

It'd be already awesome if only half the soundtrack would make it over, as long as all the event specific songs are in it.
Really need "Through the Fire and Flames" when escaping from Lionwhite's castle. Though I'd love to hear "Run to the Hills" during that mission, like it was originally intended.

I just recalled that Brütal Legend is one of two games where I silenced all the sound effects and voices (the other being Kid Icarus Uprising, for the same reason).
The soundtrack is just that good and fits perfectly, it's almost scary.

I really love this game's soundtrack.

Jack Black initially kept me away and then the demo totally hooked me in. The fun spirit was perfect for the subject matter. I was in a different place back then as far as RTS interest (and had no idea it was coming, like most) so maybe it will resonate better on PC. Double Fine usually means double dip anyway, especially when they throw Angel Witch a rare bone for licensing.

Eusis

I actually liked the game quite a bit, even if I kinda wish they focused more on the open world design than the RTS stuff. I just like the idea of an over the top open world metal adventure.

MC_Hify

It's great to see this game come to PC, I will be picking it up if it hits Steam. I have to wonder if they were able to re-license all that music without the money and backing of a big publisher like EA considering the game was not a big seller when it came out.

Seriously: I don't get the RTS sequences hate.

If anything, at least for me, it was a very grateful surprise that kept the game from being an open-world hack'n'slash. It made something good way better. Awesome game.

Not sure if I'll double dip, though. I don't do that much.

Same here. Didn't have any problems with the controls, really - in fact, I thought the sections were pretty great.

Yes!

Great game! Never played anything like it. Hopefully people won't pidgeonhole it as an RTS now that DOTA is big, given that it was a mix of both. Frankly, it needed to hold player's hands more so they wouldn't approach it like every other RTS game. If directed your troops from up in the sky, the game was

#1: Not fun at all.
#2: You lost to anyone that knew what they were doing.

Great multi, it was always weird that nobody played it on release given that the campaign was more an afterthought, it was like if everyone played Starcraft 2 just for the campaign, really. The best way to beat anyone who played the game like an RTS was to go Drowning Doom and run baby carriages into their shit. Hilarious and forces the players to stop playing it like other games and actually make use of the mechanics and have fun.

antitrop

The vast majority of the game is still spent free-roaming around the world and racing and doing action and shit.

The RTS missions aren't even that obtrusive, it's a nice variety of gameplay. Sure, it would have been better if the entire game was like the first 45 minutes, but it's still good anyway.

PaulloDEC

Even the people who liked this game in this topic seemed to dislike the RTS sections, which makes me sad. I had so much fun rushing into battle with an army of headbangers. Sure, it was relatively simple, but it reminded me of the classic GIANT FANTASY ARMY WAR... only more METAL.

Also I agree on the Breadfan post.

Would love to double dip. Plus I even liked the multiplayer.

I agree with all of this.

Brutal Legend is the reason I will never EEEEVER buy a Tim Schafer game again.

How strange. Brutal Legend is the reason why I'll continue to buy every Tim Schafer game, forever.

Same here. Didn't have any problems with the controls, really - in fact, I thought the sections were pretty great.

Yup, loved them. The only times I ever had trouble during the RTS segments was when you were required to send specific groups of units to attack specific targets. Because the selection was at least partly based on who could "hear" your commands when you gave them, I'd sometimes get extra groups of units running in with the ones I'd sent deliberately. In the big scheme of things though, not a huge problem.

vql.gif

Mononoke

Banned
I actually loved the story/world. It was a heavily flawed game, and truth to be told - I wish it was just a platformer game like psychonauts (I know, same thing that has been said ad nauseum).

But I'm really excited to play this game again.

Randdalf

I'd buy it if Double Fine could figure out how to program their games where the framerate isn't locked to 30.

That really bummed me out when I got The Cave.

I believe one of their programmers said in The Cave thread that they're working on improving that, though it could have been elsewhere.

For the people who have never played it before and will do so for the first time when it comes out on DD services? Why not, it's not that hard to be considerate about that stuff.

Not that anything significant has been spoiled, mind you.

If something has been out for years, and you come into a thread talking about it, you have no one to blame but yourself for being "spoiled". It's not that hard to be considerate to others and not expect them to have to censor their discussions on three year old games.

Eusis

If something has been out for years, and you come into a thread talking about it, you have no one to blame but yourself for being "spoiled". It's not that hard to be considerate to others and not expect them to have to censor their discussions on three year old games.
Except it IS a thread about it being released on a new platform (hopefully), ergo possibly hitting new people. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be able to avoid spoilers, versus something like a sequel being announced.

NotLiquid

Brutal Legend for me was the perfect example of a game that has so many flaws yet I enjoyed as an experience. The RTS elements were really out of nowhere and the summoning troops/using them should have been implemented in a more streamlined action-type scenario that built upon the first few campaign missions. At the same time though, the concepts and ideas in the lore/world was phenomenal and no game has given me as much simple pleasure just traveling through the world at high speeds blasting some of the most awesome music rock has to offer.

Similarly to Psychonauts I enjoy trucking through it from time to time. If a PC port will be able to remedy the control issues then I'll be there for it again.

Love the game and still have it on 360.

I will only rebuy on PC is they FINALLY manage to get 60 FPS working with their engine. (I won't be holding my breath).

KNT-Zero

I loved Psychonauts and Costume Quest. I still need to try Stacking, but yeah, Double Fine doesnt have to give me more reasons to buy their games :p

I thought Brutal Legend was pretty good. The atmosphere, setting, and style were great, and I also enjoyed driving around the open-world, though the world itself was needed more mission types for the side-objectives. I remember not liking the execution of the RTS battles that much, but I liked the idea behind mixing up the gameplay. I already own all of the other Double Fine games on PC, so I'll pick this up when it goes on sale.

PaulloDEC

So I probably should've asked this way back on page 1 before I got all excited, but does anyone know how reliable these Steam registry entries are? Are we talking dead certainty here? High likelyhood?

Top Bottom