• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MSX Nostalgia thread – A return to the cradle of Solid Snake

Rydeen

Tell me about it. I collect X68000 titles....

You poor thing, I'll probably never get into Neo Geo AES for the same reason. That and most of the collector scene for Neo Geo are certifiably insane.
Since we're sharing, I took a few quick pics of my software set. The loose carts in the boxes are mostly spares.
Gorgeous collection, the big plastic MSX clamshells and the art on them are seriously some of the best packaging ever for video games. I'm sure even back in the 80's Japanese gamers felt like they were getting their money's worth.

I don't know how many of the cardboard box Konami games I'll eventually get, I'm pretty set on at least getting Twinbee and Knightmare though.

Gorgeous collection, the big plastic MSX clamshells and the art on them are seriously some of the best packaging ever for video games. I'm sure even back in the 80's Japanese gamers felt like they were getting their money's worth.

I don't know how many of the cardboard box Konami games I'll eventually get, I'm pretty set on at least getting Twinbee and Knightmare though.

There's some super nice releases out there. I may post some more pictures detailing some of them and their contents later. Thinking games such as Adventure Island, Haja no Fuuin, Ninja-kun: Ashura no Shou, Rune Worth: Kokui no Kikoushi, and Topple Zip who all have quite remarkable "regular releases" (because back in the day you didn't have LEs at premium prices).

Knightmare is an absolute must own. There are better Twinbee games out there, but the MSX one is good fun nevertheless. Shouldn't be extremely expensive either, I think. Would also recommend getting Pippols, which you could label a cute 'em up, and which has some quite unique features.

Also, thought this was highly relevant. ;-)

DJna-EnUEAAclrP.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/tomozh/status/907997737261477890

Any of you guys using a V9990 Powergraph? I'm a bit confused about what is its purpose.

It allows you to do some spectacular things with your computer. MSX hobby programmers love those expansion cartridges. Ultimately it's what the MSX has always been about, and what makes it so appealing to its fanbase still.

I mean, look at this stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24RckUzT74A

I don't own that video expansion cart, btw, nor do I own an OPL4 based sound cart.

I know of the MSX Metal Gear games and such but I was always a console gamer and I am not exactly sure on how the msx games may compare but maybe I can read through more of this thread and figure that out.

Are there differences between the metal gear nes and msx titles? A friend of mine pointed out that some guy in UK had actually made those msx and nes metal gear logos as well.

It seems that konami may have used the same logos for the future metal gear solid titles. Pretty cool overall.

I'd probably go for the yellow metal gear myself, and always enjoyed the nes "terminator" box art.

yeah, not different games at least I guess but still interesting. I am surprised they never made those games for genesis or something at the time

Wish they had remade one during the ps1/2 time period

Khaz

It allows you to do some spectacular things with your computer. MSX hobby programmers love those expansion cartridges. Ultimately it's what the MSX has always been about, and what makes it so appealing to its fanbase still.

I mean, look at this stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24RckUzT74A

I don't own that video expansion cart, btw, nor do I own an OPL4 based sound cart.

That's a nice demo!

There have been plans to adapt this video expansion chip to the Amstrad CPC, but I'm not very confident in its success there. The CPC scene is all about squeezing every drop of power from non-expanded original hardware, even though expansions exist and are owned by many (extra ROM/RAM is super common for example). The only expansion demo-ers and game devs sometimes indulge in is the external 3.5 floppy drive and its extra space. but even that is uncommon.

It's cool that the MSX scene is more open about expansion hardware, and tries to make the most of it!

That's a nice demo!

There have been plans to adapt this video expansion chip to the Amstrad CPC, but I'm not very confident in its success there. The CPC scene is all about squeezing every drop of power from non-expanded original hardware, even though expansions exist and are owned by many (extra ROM/RAM is super common for example). The only expansion demo-ers and game devs sometimes indulge in is the external 3.5 floppy drive and its extra space. but even that is uncommon.

It's cool that the MSX scene is more open about expansion hardware, and tries to make the most of it!

I get that if you're developing stuff for an already limited audience, that you don't want to narrow it down even further by adding extra system requirements like (often pricey) expansions.

In the current MSX scene, there's also a faction of people trying to squeeze the maximum out of the minimum specs. Meaning making MSX1 compatible games.

But if you think about it for a moment: even professional game developers like Konami and Hudson used the expandibility of the computer's architecture to their advantage. E.g. you got the Konami SCC built in into several of their later MSX2 games, even got a Laser Disc game, you got Hudson's BeeCard experiments, and of course there's plenty of cassette and floppy disk games out there. So why would you, as a homebrew developer limited yourself to the absolute minimum?

^^
Very cool that you own a copy of Inspecteur Z (Buru to Marty Kiki Ippatsu). It's quite an uncommon game that you don't often see in MSX collections.

LiamA

What's up, MSX folks?

I recently picked this up and have been in love:

tJGnq7X.jpg

I've never played many shmups, so I have been enjoying some of the classics like Space Manbow and newer homebrews like Pleasure Hearts. Being American, this silly computer feels extra special. I wonder how many Sony MSXs there are in this country...

Top Bottom