• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Destiny 2 coming to PC [UPDATE: Loads of extra info]

Orayn

If PvP and PvE get hacked to shit, it still might be the smart choice. It's going to be interesting to see how they deal with pushing such a curated experience, to an open platform.

Barring a truly boneheaded move like the way The Division kept everything client side, I don't see it happening. Just keep stats, inventory, etc confirmed by the server like Diablo 3 or any other MMO ever.

Yea, it's coming to PC. From what I'm told the decision to restructure was made thanks to a major memory ceiling being reached on last gen with regard to the Rise of Iron expansion, which was set to launch in the spring, not fall. Bungie decided to push out D2 since it was behind and needed much more iteration, and took advantage of the Rise of Iron delays to use that as the content stop gap for the fall of this year.

Destiny 2 is being overhauled so that they can build upon it in the future without having to work within the frame work limitations that D1 setup. Right now, the way things play out, we have to introduce playspaces so that players can engage in systems or activities, but it creates a huge barrier that must be overcome on both the networking & design side so, they're going to do more open playspaces that incorporate towns, outposts, etc into more common areas. This means fewer hardlines for areas and having them be gated by menus. Goal is to have players conducting things & making activity decisions while still in control of their character, instead of having to exit out into an activity hub. Think of how in WoW, you hit a button and queue into activities you want to do all while still playing your character.

Major narrative changes are on board for D2. Both in terms of plot direction, pacing & structure. Major focus is going to be on the Cabal & Saturn. Saturn is a playspace is set to be bigger than all of the playspaces currently implemented in the game combined. This is in large part of the scale of playspaces being redesigned, so it'll be both bigger & denser with activities. There's a reason Guardians take the fight to Saturn.

Major changes to the engine are occurring. Their render tech has gone through some major iteration thanks in large part to getting to approach it without having last-gen as a limit. Because of this, they are still undecided what, if any, of Destiny's old content, both in terms of playspace, areas, Strikes & raids, will be available through D2. There is talk in possibly allowing D1 remain as its own client, which flies against how Destiny currently operates, where as the new content renders the old client & content obsolete.

Live team has been going through some iteration so that they may continue to support Destiny with content after a major content drop, but they are stuck between a rock & a hard place. The live team is trying to support a game running on an old engine with its older tools, whereas the bulk of development is on the engine framework & enjoying new tools. Because of this, the Live team is largely handcuffed, so don't really expect a whole lot of post-launch content for D1 in the next year.

However, starting with the launch of D2, we will see far more substantial content dropping in the time between yearly releases, as the game & engine & live team have all been planned to support that going forward. Team is aware that they need more substantial content throughout the year, not just at the end of it.

Everything about this is great news other than not a lot of support left for Destiny 1 which we all expected anyways.

Destiny 2 is my number one most anticipated title

That said Saturn is the major play space? Interesting as that's a Gas planet so how will that work?

ezekial45

Banned
As long as they have a reward system in place for players with legacy characters, I'm down. It would make sense for us to start over if this is a substantial change in gameplay.

Trace

Banned
If PvP and PvE get hacked to shit, it still might be the smart choice. It's going to be interesting to see how they deal with pushing such a curated experience, to an open platform.

Why do you keep pushing the "hacker" angle? Tons of games on PC do just fine without every game being filled with hackers.

GlamFM

Banned
Fresh start is the only way to get that initial excitement again.

Can't wait.

Luke, don't fuck this up.

Jason & Sinobi, keep bringing the news.

Sounds absolutely amazing. Anything else you wanna give us a few hints towards?
-New factions races?
-returning factions?
-classes?
New races & factions are planned. No idea on whats happening with regards to classes however. New enemies within factions are also going to be introduced. Take the Psions for the Cabal for example - they are going to get fleshed out in D2.

Alienous

Yeah and Jason has hinted before that Destiny 2 may not hit its normal September release slot. I don't think its impossible this gets pushed back to 2018.

That said the team is enormous and you can get a lot done with 750 people.

That seems like trying to cook something faster by turning up the heat. More developers probably means they'll need more time, to integrate and coordinate and revise, not less.

I don't think they could do a Destiny sequel any justice releasing earlier than 2019, given where it currently seems to be in development.

AHA-Lambda

Oh and for the whole "but you said we could carry our Guardian over 10 years!"

Bungie also demonstrated vanilla Destiny with "if you see it you can go there" :p

Gator86

Yea, it's coming to PC. From what I'm told the decision to restructure was made thanks to a major memory ceiling being reached on last gen with regard to the Rise of Iron expansion, which was set to launch in the spring, not fall. Bungie decided to push out D2 since it was behind and needed much more iteration, and took advantage of the Rise of Iron delays to use that as the content stop gap for the fall of this year.

Destiny 2 is being overhauled so that they can build upon it in the future without having to work within the frame work limitations that D1 setup. Right now, the way things play out, we have to introduce playspaces so that players can engage in systems or activities, but it creates a huge barrier that must be overcome on both the networking & design side so, they're going to do more open playspaces that incorporate towns, outposts, etc into more common areas. This means fewer hardlines for areas and having them be gated by menus. Goal is to have players conducting things & making activity decisions while still in control of their character, instead of having to exit out into an activity hub. Think of how in WoW, you hit a button and queue into activities you want to do all while still playing your character.

Major narrative changes are on board for D2. Both in terms of plot direction, pacing & structure. Major focus is going to be on the Cabal & Saturn. Saturn is a playspace is set to be bigger than all of the playspaces currently implemented in the game combined. This is in large part of the scale of playspaces being redesigned, so it'll be both bigger & denser with activities. There's a reason Guardians take the fight to Saturn.

Major changes to the engine are occurring. Their render tech has gone through some major iteration thanks in large part to getting to approach it without having last-gen as a limit. Because of this, they are still undecided what, if any, of Destiny's old content, both in terms of playspace, areas, Strikes & raids, will be available through D2. There is talk in possibly allowing D1 remain as its own client, which flies against how Destiny currently operates, where as the new content renders the old client & content obsolete.

Live team has been going through some iteration so that they may continue to support Destiny with content after a major content drop, but they are stuck between a rock & a hard place. The live team is trying to support a game running on an old engine with its older tools, whereas the bulk of development is on the engine framework & enjoying new tools. Because of this, the Live team is largely handcuffed, so don't really expect a whole lot of post-launch content for D1 in the next year.

However, starting with the launch of D2, we will see far more substantial content dropping in the time between yearly releases, as the game & engine & live team have all been planned to support that going forward. Team is aware that they need more substantial content throughout the year, not just at the end of it.

If they do drop D1 content, it likely won't be permanent - they might reintroduce areas in a more 'D2' fleshed out way. So we might lose temporary access to these places, then regain it or have to fight back for control of it at a later point in the plot. This means we'll get to see older areas or activities through the perspective of the newer content, which also means the older areas might expand considerably by the time we get back to them, since the design goal for playspaces is to now make them both way bigger & way denser with activities.

Edit: New races & factions are planned. No idea on whats happening with regards to classes however. New enemies within factions are also going to be introduced. Take the Sions for the Cabal for example - they are going to get fleshed out in D2.

This sounds amazing. I remember when someone told me about a similar sounding game though. It came out and was a half finished mess, but I'm sure this will be different...

Reading replies in here is fascinating. I'm not looking down on anyone - it's just weird to me to see opinions that are so wildly different from my own. I've never given the slightest crap about what my character in particular looks like in any game, and I don't care about how cool armor or weapons look. Give me something that's fun to play, and let me get stuff with higher numbers. I wish I felt attached to my character in Destiny - I'm not sure if my lack of attachment is me, or if it's a failing of the game and its non-existent (in my opinion) story.

DrBo42

If they do drop D1 content, it likely won't be permanent - they might reintroduce areas in a more 'D2' fleshed out way. So we might lose temporary access to these places, then regain it or have to fight back for control of it at a later point in the plot. This means we'll get to see older areas or activities through the perspective of the newer content, which also means the older areas might expand considerably by the time we get back to them, since the design goal for playspaces is to now make them both way bigger & way denser with activities.
That's a big problem. Just let RoI run its course to around January, do a big end of Destiny 1 event and pull everyone.

New races & factions are planned. No idea on whats happening with regards to classes however. New enemies within factions are also going to be introduced. Take the Sions for the Cabal for example - they are going to get fleshed out in D2.
Thanks for replying and I'm actually incredibly excited for this game now. Cabal were my least liked faction so I hope they become more interesting in the sequel, fleshing out the psion's and adding more enemies within factions is also excellent considering how few there were.
Really looking forward to the new races and factions and also really appreciate you coming into the thread to drop some more insight!

Kalentan

Oh and for the whole "but you said we could carry our Guardian over 10 years!"

Bungie also demonstrated vanilla Destiny with "if you see it you can go there" :p
Yeah but at least keeping characters seemed feasible. I hate to call out Devs but in my honest opinion if I can't transfer my character, at least with shaders, emblems, and maybe a revamped legacy weapon or two. Then honest they're lazy and the fact that they went back on their word is bullshit.

Trace

Banned
Reading replies in here is fascinating. I'm not looking down on anyone - it's just weird to me to see opinions that are so wildly different from my own. I've never given the slightest crap about what my character in particular looks like in any game, and I don't care about how cool armor or weapons look. Give me something that's fun to play, and let me get stuff with higher numbers. I wish I felt attached to my character in Destiny - I'm not sure if my lack of attachment is me, or if it's a failing of the game and its non-existent (in my opinion) story.

I really want a fresh start. Starting from 1 and getting to 30 during vanilla was great, you started out with nothing but a single gun and you end up with tons of crazy guns + movements abilites + supers and all that. I want that feeling again, it's not the same starting out a new expansion and having all your crazy overpowered guns from last time still around and still having all your abilities.

TyrantII

Why do you keep pushing the "hacker" angle? Tons of games on PC do just fine without every game being filled with hackers.

D1 is mostly P2P when connecting users. Not sure how much of its all pushed client side, but it seems there's much more room for abuse when a developer isn't using Dedicated servers and content checks.

I guess I'm just not that hopeful that D2 will get those things. This is Activision were talking about.

Finger crossed though! D2 with dedicated servers, in game LFG, and deeper clan (faction) mechanics would be bliss.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Didn't hear me bitch about starting over in guild wars 2. Seemed pretty obvious to me that a new game means starting over. I have never heard of a sequel carrying data from the original over for any mmo Esque games outside of a realm reborn. That was more of a reboot than anything else or a huge overhaul to the original system while labeling it as a new game version instead of final fantasy XIV-2
But that's not how Guild Wars was initially hyped and presented.

I'm not sure anyone is opposed to people getting to bring stuff over, just not in favor of that being the thing holding D2 back from its potential ceiling. If your character is the thing holding us back from getting the game Bungie promised us all those years ago, I will come to your house and delete your stupid looking character myself.
To be fair it shouldn't be that hard to transfer some of it.
Lets hope that one thing that doesn't carry over is Xbox players getting locked out of content for a year or more.
That's not gonna happen, sadly. Sony is going hard on exclusive content.

Edit: New races & factions are planned. No idea on whats happening with regards to classes however. New enemies within factions are also going to be introduced. Take the Sions for the Cabal for example - they are going to get fleshed out in D2.

This sounds awesome

Thanks for this detailed post

GlamFM

Banned
That seems like trying to cook something faster by turning up the heat. More developers probably means they'll need more time, to integrate and coordinate and revise, not less.

I don't think they could do a Destiny sequel any justice releasing earlier than 2019, given where it currently seems to be in development.

Too many assumptions man. ;)

ViciousDS

Banned
That's a big problem. Just let RoI run its course to around January, do a big end of Destiny 1 event and pull everyone.

The traveler falls out of the sky.......and nukes earth killing all our guardians in the final destiny 1 cut scene/quest line. We find hope or a glimmer of light on Saturn. The traveler used what little power he had left before death to send our spirit over to the planet. We spend years wandering a soul plane only for a small group to finally be reconstructed from our former memories or some shit and so begins destiny 2, you must reestablish an order and force to fight back.

This makes no sense......but I gave it a shot

Z3M0G

Ditching last-gen consoles, which Bungie has already done for the recently released Rise of Iron expansion, ensures that they no longer have to worry about antiquated memory restrictions.

So what about ROI wouldn't work on PS360 anyways?

Barring a truly boneheaded move like the way The Division kept everything client side, I don't see it happening. Just keep stats, inventory, etc confirmed by the server like Diablo 3 or any other MMO ever.

Bungie already keeps stuff like that Server side, too, since you can adjust inventories from a web browser. And whenever you open up a menu for the first time, it has to be populated(You get the little loading icon on your gear) first.

LAA

Will be disappointed with not being able to carry character over...
As for PC news, it's good news for the player base and PC gamers of course, but hope they can make it "cross play" for PC/PS4/X1, I would double dip for PC/PS4 if I could carry on with my character on both platforms.

That's a lot of devs to make a game that will almost surely prove to be culturally inconsequential, and of little artistic gravitas. But folks need jobs which is great, i just hope they have some reasonable degree of proper employment. And not games industry reasonable, normal people reasonable.
Destiny is incredibly culturally "consequential".

Jeremy

I would be pretty upset about not being able to transfer a character. Hope the game is good, I don't see myself playing much anymore even with Iron until I have a confirmed answer on my character.

T-0800

I don't really care if my character carries over or not. If it somehow holds the game back I'm fine with starting a new character.

Thanks for replying and I'm actually incredibly excited for this game now. Cabal were my least liked faction so I hope they become more interesting in the sequel, fleshing out the psion's and adding more enemies within factions is also excellent considering how few there were.
Really looking forward to the new races and factions and also really appreciate you coming into the thread to drop some more insight!
Sure thing. All of the races, including the Awoken, still have much room for expansion. The Fallen were originally another race that the traveller actually guided before it reached humans; The Vex were also a completely different race before they machinized themselves into a Borg like race. They're also going to be introducing enemy factions that have motivation & goals. Right now enemies seem like creatures - D2 should hopefully make them more sentient with goals.

So what about ROI wouldn't work on PS360 anyways?
I'm told the new raid was causing an out of memory crash that just had no work around - the content NEEDED more RAM in order for it to exist.

Blam

Ive been saying it is going to be on PC forever. That leaked contract doesn't lie.

Good to see more information on the 2nd game. High Moon Studios is also working on the sequel from what I've seen.

everything sounds amazing but the no transferring your character part

btw, they should take notes with how Epic and EA handle multiple accounts on different systems. Specially Epic is practically seamless when you tie in your PSN everything 100% transfers

Bungie all I want for playspaces is to go down into The Last City, walk around town talking to NPCs, and then go into the marketplace and see dozens of Guardians conglomerating in their own separate guild halls.

Orayn

Which is exactly why it will take no effort to roll them over

Which bungie must do

But if they add new face and hair options (and new races), anyone who transfers will be getting locked out if them. If they offer re-customization to compensate, it might as well be all new characters at that point.

Gator86

To be fair it shouldn't be that hard to transfer some of it.

That's not gonna happen, sadly. Sony is going hard on exclusive content.

I wouldn't have expected a lot of things related to destiny to be that hard so I'm not sure if that's true. Either way, I'm not sure that should be Bungie's focus. They shouldn't be constrained by the shambling Frankenstein that was D1 in any way. I just hope they focus on making the absolute best game and that's all. 99% of the people who say they'd quit are lying anyway. Someone who is attached to their character because they've spent thousands of hour grinding strikes isn't going to just be able to say no to D2 if it comes out looking amazing.

Z3M0G

Leave our solar system. Have our character start in captivity and break out. All our gear stripped away. Porting over old characters would work just fine that way.

Ascenion

By Saturn I'm inclined to believe you mean a few if not all of its moons? Because Saturn is a gas giant so actually being on the planet isn't possible and any explanation for being able to be on a terrformed gas giant would be pushing what my suspension of disbelief would be willing to tolerate.

Kalentan

But if they add new face and hair options (and new races), anyone who transfers will be getting locked out if them. If they offer re-customization to compensate, it might as well be all new characters at that point.

What they should do is add references to the fact that your character took down Oryx and the such. They have 700+ people working on it. I think they could do something. Even if it's just like an alternate intro.

I wouldn't have expected a lot of things related to destiny to be that hard so I'm not sure if that's true. Either way, I'm not sure that should be Bungie's focus. They shouldn't be constrained by the shambling Frankenstein that was D1 in any way. I just hope they focus on making the absolute best game and that's all. 99% of the people who say they'd quit are lying anyway. Someone who is attached to their character because they've spent thousands of hour grinding strikes isn't going to just be able to say no to D2 if it comes out looking amazing.

I'd say 99% of people who are fine with no character transfers probably don't want to feel like they missed out. Too unfair for them.

GlamFM

Banned
What they should do is add references to the fact that your character took down Oryx and the such. They have 700+ people working on it. I think they could do something. Even if it's just like an alternate intro.

Destiny 1 moments of triumph emblem

One and done

Kalentan

Destiny 1 moments of triumph emblem

One and done

So we should give them a lazy way out? Good to know we have them held up to high standards.

Hell, FFXIV ARR had a "Legacy" Intro Cutscene rather than the traditional one if you played 1.0.

Top Bottom