• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart.'

TheBear

3DS_error.jpg

I've been getting this error message ever since I purchased Fire Emblem (physical) for my 3DS XL, which crashes the game and cancels to the OS. It was inconsistent, but it was very irritating because it would only happen about 40 minutes into gameplay. I put up with it and replayed a number of maps until I finished the game.
I never had issues with any other games, and played some DS games after Fire Emblem and didn't have any issues either.
I recently picked up Mario Golf: World Tour and had the same issue, however this time it happened with virtually every attempt, 30-40 mins of gameplay without fail. I also made sure it wasn't the SD card causing me grief, so I played with and without the SD card, and it crashed regardless if the SD card was in or not. I returned the physical copy thinking it was an issue with the cartridge, but the digital copy gave me the same problem. Tried the digital copy a number of times and got the same issue.
I also noted that the game was able to run for hours on end if I left it unattended, and switching streetpass on or off didn't appear to have any effect.

I sent the 3DS to Nintendo for repairs who are now telling me they cannot find the fault. I told them they need to play the game for at least 40 minutes for the fault to appear. Apparently they did so and it didn't crash, and they aren't prepared to try again.
So now I'm stuck with a $35 repair bill and a 3DS XL that is still faulty. Does anyone here have any idea what the issue might be? Or how I could convince Nintendo to have a look another look at it?

Did they do any repairs or did they do nothing and give you a $35 bill?

They really shouldn't have charged you if they did nothing.

I'd expect if they couldn't reproduce the problem, they would have replaced the logic board, which would probably fix this kind of problem

Hubble

I loled when OP asked Nintendo Technical Support to play the game for 40 minutes to discover the crash.

TheBear

How do you know it's still faulty? Has it done it again since you got it back?

I don't know if it still faulty as I'm waiting for the unit to come back, but from what the Nintendo rep said they did a bunch of testing and couldn't find an issue, and are charging me $35 as an appraisal fee for postage and wasting their time essentially. They certainly didn't mention replacing anything. I should also mention it's not under warranty.

I suppose this thread is a bit pre-emptive, but since they haven't done anything except testing it I can almost guarantee it's going to come back with the same issue.

Anyway, a crash that appears after playing a demanding game for a set period of time is most likely cause by overheating. Since there's no fan and they've probably ruled out things like excessive dust inside the system, it's probably a defective component on the logic board (CPU or GPU would be my guess).

Foxix Von

Anyway, a crash that appears after playing a demanding game for a set period of time is most likely cause by overheating. Since there's no fan and they've probably ruled out things like excessive dust inside the system, it's probably a defective component on the logic board (CPU or GPU would be my guess).
That sounds reasonable. My laptop has the same issue. I can web browse for hours but I can't play a game for more than an hour before it BSODs due to a fucky gpu.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Had the exact same problem! My copy was digital, however. I was unable to resolve the issue, just played through it with regular saves. Was pretty annoying.

Mephala

This seems like deja vu. I swear I read this topic before on gaf. FEA physical copy too. I may be the cart that is faulty.

Lernaean

Banned
This seems like deja vu. I swear I read this topic before on gaf. FEA physical copy too. I may be the cart that is faulty.

Could be, never had any problem with any game, FE included, and i was playing for many hours each time, so i don't think it's overheating.
OP, did you include the cart when you sent your 3DS to be checked? Maybe the unit indeed has no issue. Maybe it's the cart.

Pikma

Banned
I've never heard of this, I used to have a problem like that on my OG but it was because of some kind of issue with my SD card.

I actually vaguely remember something like this happening to at least one more person here, and with the exact same game, I think there was another thread just like this some time ago or something, so there's probably a weird bug in FE:A that's causing this.

Could be, never had any problem with any game, FE included, and i was playing for many hours each time, so i don't think it's overheating.

I meant that a component was defective which was causing it to overheat.

Obviously a normal 3DS won't overheat under normal conditions.

Anyway, it's not the cart, as OP said it happens on multiple games and when running on an SD card or from a cart. The common denominator is the games that cause it to crash are demanding.

TheBear

This must be the likely culprit. Should I be asking Nintendo if they have replaced the logic board? How much would they usually charge for something like that?

This must be the likely culprit. Should I be asking Nintendo if they have replaced the logic board? How much would they usually charge for something like that?

Yeah, I'd ask if they replaced the logic board. I dunno how much it would cost. It's probably cheaper than the screens, but it wouldn't be cheap relative to the cost of the system.

ss_lemonade

I actually ran into the same problem with the same game (physical too). I just lived with it and thought it was part of the issues I had with my 3ds. It has top screen color problems that require you to apply pressure to one side so I thought the thing was dying or something but what's weird was that error only happened with this game and was very random.

espher

I've had this happen fairly frequently scanning QR codes for Tomodachi Life. Was about to crack open FE:A /and/ Mario Golf this weekend. Thanks for the worry. ;)

Cess007

I had the same error twice when playing Fire Emblem too. Dunno why it happens, but it appeared (to me) after resuming from a previous session (unfolding the 3DS).

Cbajd5

Did they do any repairs or did they do nothing and give you a $35 bill?

They really shouldn't have charged you if they did nothing.

I'd expect if they couldn't reproduce the problem, they would have replaced the logic board, which would probably fix this kind of problem

They had to play Mario Golf: World Tour for 40 minutes.

DO YOU KNOW HOW DIFFICULT THAT IS

I think this happened to me once, although I also remember not having to restart the system. Although it wasn't with FE or Mario Golf since I haven't played either yet.

wrowa

I actually ran into the same problem with the same game (physical too). I just lived with it and thought it was part of the issues I had with my 3ds. It has top screen color problems that require you to apply pressure to one side so I thought the thing was dying or something but what's weird was that error only happened with this game and was very random.

You mean the top screen turning all dark of a sudden which somehow stops when you press on it? I ALWAYS THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH THAT PROBLEM. ;__; I've finally someone whos 3DS is as fucked up as mine!

TheBear

Got the 3DS back from Nintendo, played Mario Golf for 20 minutes and the same thing occurred. The only way I'm going to get Nintendo to do anything about this is if I record it somehow. I only really have the video camera on my iphone, are there any other ways I could record this?

Top Bottom