• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical copies of Marvel's SpiderMan2 are not installing properly on EU copies

Draugoth

Gold Member
Spider-Man-2_WCPyFeK.jpg

European Spidey fans are struggling to install Marvel's Spider-Man 2 from physical discs.

That's according to dozens of players posting in the game's official subreddit community, some of whom are reporting that the installation stalls when it hits 36 per cent.

According to those who've experienced the issue, it doesn't matter if they take the game back and swap it for a brand new disc – whatever mitigations they try to put in place, be that turning off internet connection, cleaning the disc, or even a factory reset – the installation always stops at the same point.

From what we can gather from the respondents, it appears that the issue is primarily affecting EU and PAL/UK copies of the game.

"I was one of the unlucky ones. When I went to get a refund, they took the remainder of the games off the shelf. Doesn't look like that store was prepared to sell more until they were sure the issue was fixed,"

Said one commenter.

"Having a problem with the digital deluxe version too. After [the] intro mission, when you hit level 3, the whole game crashes, and my PS5 restarts and has to repair the hard drive. Every time,"

Reports another player.

Whilst neither Sony nor Insomniac has publicly acknowledged the issue just yet, one commenter said: "[A friend] reached out to Sony who informed them that they're familiar with the issue and a patch for it should release either today or this weekend". Others, however, have been told by Sony and Insomniac that it's probably a "faulty disc".

Kuranghi

Oopsie, sounds bad if its widespread, hopefully it isnt.

"I was one of the unlucky ones. When I went to get a refund, they took the remainder of the games off the shelf. Doesn't look like that store was prepared to sell more until they were sure the issue was fixed,"

Thus made me laugh out loud, this did not happen 😂 like a retail store gives a fuck about that sort of thing, they will maybe raise an issue but they aren't going to take all copies of a product off the shelf because some random cunt said his game didn't install properly.

This would be like if someone returned a portable aerial saying it doesn't work, it's a faulty product and then they took them all off the shelf, 999/1000 it's just their fault, that they dont read the instructions, eg didn't understand they have to tune it in on the telly 😆

I'm not saying this is the person's fault, it's obviously an issue with the game, it's just that the retail staff would obviously assume its a user error before a widespread error with the disc. You might say oh well maybe they had already had other returns for the same reason and this was where the pattern emerged but lets ask ourselves what the chance is that the person who that happened to would be online complaining about it, a huge % of customers who buy games are mums and grans, or rather not the ones installing the games.

Reeks of made up bullshit haha, let's see the post history of that person, everyone wants to create drama these days, on both sides of the console war loser aisles.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Thus made me laugh out loud, this did not happen 😂 like a retail store gives a fuck about that sort of thing, they will maybe raise an issue but they aren't going to take all copies of a product off the shelf because some random cunt said his game didn't install properly.

It could well be bullshit. I could also be the 20th person seeking a refund for the day, and they were either the tipping point or just happened to be there when the decision was made.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Amateur hour, Sony? ..or false flag "see? digital really is better!"-ploy..?

Edit:

It's the manufacturer/distributor of the faulty batch of PAL copies that fucked up here and Insomniac has no control over this.

That's my first thought, and the simplest explanation. Except to think about manufacturing of discs as a third party operation.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I honestly found strange the huge amount of time it took the game to install, but rather than that pretty smooth over here.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I guess that twitter flex about the game being playable from the disk day 1 came to bite them in the ass.
It’s a weird flex/praise. With games having to be installed on the SSD it’s almost same as buying digital.

Unlike PS2 to older consoles when they actually ran off disc or all Nintendo systems where physical really matters.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can confirm this.
Probably because I didn't actually buy it 🤔
I do intend to but without no Steelbook or DLC or anything with the physical release there little incentive for me to buy it day one when I currently have other games to play.
What's worse is the stuff I'm hearing about the game isn't encouraging me to rush despite the game actually being good.

Top Bottom