• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming-Age Forums Games of the Year Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawk

john tv said:
Minish Cap and Wario Ware Touched are 2005 games, no?

They're out in Japan, so they count for the list.

It's pretty impressive that there are 142 games in the final standings that came out in 2004 alone and are probably worth playing quite a bit. I must now accept the fact that I will never even come close to playing all the games that deserve it.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
JackFrost2012 said:
It's amazing that a board as full of psychotic yahoos as GAF could produce such a reasonable, agreeable list! Seems a hell of a lot better than most sites' lists. (Most of whom LEAVE OFF MGS3 as a GOTY award which is just stupid and dumb.)

Agreed.

border said:
Shouldn't all this be done after the end of the year...?

The GAF elite have already played all the games already, even for platforms they don't own. (and had their minds made up about the games before that anyway :D ) Forget the fact that many others will be getting some of these games for Christmas and that fact that might affect their votes.

That being said, it seems like every other GOTY list out there minus the appropriate love for MGS3.

AniHawk

buck naked, thanks. I updated Donkey Konga, Dead or Alive Ultimate (now tied for fighting GOTY), removed M&L (both), and PGR 2.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Good Job Ani, i know i would have given up after 2 hours of tallying lists :D

p.s.

Sports Game of the Year: Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (Winning Eleven 8)

Runners up
Football Manager 2005
ESPN NFL 2K5

1. w0h00 for Football Manager

2. Madden what?

Fifty

Nice work Anihawk. Really good stuff putting all of this together. Props to GA for making sane voting choices.

DJ Sl4m

I personally thought MGS2 was crap, and turned me off to the series.

BUT I do realize a large portion of gamers thought MGS3 was incredible and accept that I'm simply not into the franchise anymore, but the game can and probably still is very good.

So.... props to MGS2

Can anyone instill that outlook into some of these newbies ? kthx

Wow, that's a really fair list. MGS3 really deserves all the credit it's been getting in my eyes. The only way I can see my personal list differing is that I would have had Pikmin 2 as a runner up for game of the year. Very impressed that I can agree with 95% of this.

teepo

onlything that bugs me is halflife2 should be higher then mgs3 and taiko being better then donkey konga and all...

other then that, great list!

jett

D-Member
Awesome job, Anihawk. MGS3 REPRESENTIN'.

Doom_Bringer said:
Hitman Contracts should win the stealth game of the year. MGS3 is not stealth its all action.

Actually, no. It depends on how you play it. You can play like freaking Rambo if you want and go all out, or play it slowly and stealhty. That's the beauty of MGS3. You choose. On my 4th playthrough I'm going to play like a crazy motherfucker and kill every single solider I see.

shpankey

not an idiot
incredible job Ani, thanks for all your hard work. interesting results, and i pretty much agree with them. GAF can be trusted, these games are all solid.

i only wish that Prince of Persia: Warrior Within would have got on there as it's my GoTY. was there a category for "Best Adventure Game"???? PoP: WW would get that title IMO.

AniHawk

shpankey said:
incredible job Ani, thanks for all your hard work. interesting results, and i pretty much agree with them. GAF can be trusted, these games are all solid.

i only wish that Prince of Persia: Warrior Within would have got on there as it's my GoTY. was there a category for "Best Adventure Game"???? PoP: WW would get that title IMO.

There is an Adventure category, and POP WW is 3rd.

Odnetnin

Banned
great list of games - very impressed with the quality of titles that hit the top 3 - wondering now if I should pick up BO3

el jacko

Wow, good show! I agree with about 95% of this list, which is certainly better than most other sites. I'd only put Metroid Prime 2 in GOTY runner ups (and take out Halo 2) and switch around Ninja Gaiden and Halo 2 for Xbox GOTY. Otherwise it's an excellent list.

WTF? MGS3 was that good? I guess I need to get this then....

Also, really shocked KOTOR2 didn't get an award, was it not eligible?

mumu

It's amazing that with GAF's love for quirky and strange games it was able to put up such a boring list! It lacks some spice.

AniHawk

DJ Demon J said:

KOTOR 2 was plagued by a late release. Also, I don't think KOTOR has a huge following here, despite the quality in the franchise. It would have been third for RPG of the year if it wasn't for that meddling World of Warcraft.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Fantastic list all around....

#1 LOL Madden is nowhere to be found :D poetic justice

#2 Just get the hell over your biases/preconceptions and PLAY MGS3 (play through the whole game, if you can)....its not at all perfect and its not for everybody (no game is) but yes, indeed, it is *THAT* good....CLEARLY better than Halo 2, IMO....try it....you just might like it :)

Fifty

DJ Demon J said:

I'm guessing many people didn't vote for KOTOR because of the game's timing. So many great games came out in November, and people were/are probably still playing them this month. Plus with a lot of money going toward Christmas shopping, people might be waiting until after the holidays to pick it up. Of course I'm only speaking from my own experience, but it sounds reasonable enough. :)

This is one of the few lists that I agree with, all the choices seem solid. MGS: 3 was simply amazing, it completely blew me away :D which is always nice.

AniHawk

king zell said:
MGS3 deserves GOTY so +1 GAF

but this was very fast I really wanted to vote

Next year if I'm still around, I'll organize it better. Never meant to make it an official thing. Just sorta came about that way.

Ironclad

Speevy said:
I'm glad Pikmin 2 won strategy game of the year. Well-deserved if you ask me. :)
I couldn't agree more.

Good job Ani. Trully excellent work. Hopefully now that MGS3 won GOTY on the thread, it will convince more people to give it a go. Glad to see that Up Your Arsenal was awarded Platformer of the Year.

xabre

Banned
As good a game as Pikmin 2 is (and it is good), it is plainly not a better strategy game than RTW. Besides, while these are strategy games they are so different that to put them together in the same category anyway is doing them both a disservice; Pikmin is perhaps a genre unto itself.

ElyrionX

Pretty much agree with the list.

Yay for MGS3 and Winning Eleven 8.

But Rome: Total War should be Strategy Game of the Year.....

Oh and I don't think I managed to vote either. Did not even notice the thread and I come in here on an almost daily basis.....

tetsuoxb

Im calling it now, and this is going to be unpopular and probably wrong, but I am going to say that Lumines is the best game on the PSP.

I am working my way through the pro tour on ridge racers, have played about 6 hours of AC!D, and a fair amount of Mingol (the other contenders) and I can honestly say that Lumines outperforms them all.

Here is the problem - I think alot of people dont get lumines. In fact, I know as much. Maybe this keeps it from being the best game on the PSP, because it requires you to get it at various levels before you can progress. However, it is exactly this reason that makes the game my favorite on PSP. For instance, take the impressions posted by Nash - they are simplistic and represent a level of understanding about the game that plateaus at about 70k (the I Hear the Music in my Soul skin, and the skin right after it)... once you truly understand lumines, it becomes something entirely different. The game rewards you for your understanding by presenting a remarkable musical diversity past skin 15 or so in single player mode. Reggae, drum and bass, jazz, flute... everything is represented and the gameplay molds itself into these forms. If I could explain how to get to 200k points easily (and I cant because it is a complex mix of understanding the immediate spatial relationships of a block, in terms of a large grid of color distribution for large scale chain combos when a special block comes along, and them combining this with an understanding of exactly how much time you have to execute before the scanline passes) then I think alot more people would be picking it over ridge racers. I dont think ridge racers is bad, in fact, before i hit 200k in lumines, ridge was my GOTY on PSP.... but lumines changes so much, shows you so much more at the higher levels... it is impossible to resist. Im just completely impressed by the game the further I get.

One of the strangest things about it is that I seem to do better on skins where I really love the music... which means that, at least for me, the mix of music and puzzle works on different, more cerebral levels.

Amir0x

Banned
tetsuoxb said:
Im calling it now, and this is going to be unpopular and probably wrong, but I am going to say that Lumines is the best game on the PSP.

I am working my way through the pro tour on ridge racers, have played about 6 hours of AC!D, and a fair amount of Mingol (the other contenders) and I can honestly say that Lumines outperforms them all.

Here is the problem - I think alot of people dont get lumines. In fact, I know as much. Maybe this keeps it from being the best game on the PSP, because it requires you to get it at various levels before you can progress. However, it is exactly this reason that makes the game my favorite on PSP. For instance, take the impressions posted by Nash - they are simplistic and represent a level of understanding about the game that plateaus at about 70k (the I Hear the Music in my Soul skin, and the skin right after it)... once you truly understand lumines, it becomes something entirely different. The game rewards you for your understanding by presenting a remarkable musical diversity past skin 15 or so in single player mode. Reggae, drum and bass, jazz, flute... everything is represented and the gameplay molds itself into these forms. If I could explain how to get to 200k points easily (and I cant because it is a complex mix of understanding the immediate spatial relationships of a block, in terms of a large grid of color distribution for large scale chain combos when a special block comes along, and them combining this with an understanding of exactly how much time you have to execute before the scanline passes) then I think alot more people would be picking it over ridge racers. I dont think ridge racers is bad, in fact, before i hit 200k in lumines, ridge was my GOTY on PSP.... but lumines changes so much, shows you so much more at the higher levels... it is impossible to resist. Im just completely impressed by the game the further I get.

One of the strangest things about it is that I seem to do better on skins where I really love the music... which means that, at least for me, the mix of music and puzzle works on different, more cerebral levels.

For a split second I thought you were saying Lumines was your GOTY, and I was all like :eek:

But man, I'm excited to play this. It seems like the type of game that gives as much as you put in.

AniHawk

tetsuoxb said:

Well, you'll get another chance next year to vote for it (when it will probably be more recognized).

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Well, you'll get another chance next year to vote for it (when it will probably be more recognized).

BUT IT'S A WHOLE NOTHER YEAR.

...dang, it's been a year since 2003? O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom