• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InfoScout "PlayStation Takes the Shelf, Xbox Wins the Browser"

ethomaz

Banned
bm.gif

Online.gif

http://blog.infoscout.co/playstation-takes-the-shelf-xbox-wins-the-browser/

Credits to Welfare.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Does this purposely exclude anything Nintendo or did they literally not sold a single unit of hardware?

Welfare

Does this purposely exclude anything Nintendo or did they literally not sold a single unit of hardware?
For the purpose of this comparison, Nintendo was left out.

Even then, they say Wii and 3DS aren't included lol.

shanew21

This narrative of the PS4 Pro just being a minor upgrade to the PS4 should not sit well with Sony.

You've got to think Microsoft will market Scorpio as the next big thing. More of a gigantic leap than a minor upgrade.

ethomaz

Banned

"The 2016 analysis was limited to Xbox and PlayStation, purchases including the Nintendo WII and 3DS were not included."

Vash63

This narrative of the PS4 Pro just being a minor upgrade to the PS4 should not sit well with Sony.

You've got to think Microsoft will market Scorpio as the next big thing. More of a gigantic leap than a minor upgrade.

If they didn't want it to seem like a minor upgrade they shouldn't have named it the 'PS4 Pro' and reused the same 2011 netbook CPU.

Toki767

It seems like during Black Friday weekend sales were pretty even.

Which means the beginning of the month may be what puts the PS4 on top for November.

Because that's what is. It's a part of the Xbox ecosystem. PlayStation Pro isn't a gigantic leap and Sony never said it was.

ethomaz

Banned
How many units do you guys expected Pro to sell in Black Friday???

5% is about 50k if PS4 + XB1 sold 1 million units.

mejin

So, Sony took BF and Cyber Monday? And people were saying U4 Slim was not an attractive bundle.

I wonder what the totals look like. I would think people would wait for Monday to buy stuff online, but I'm not an analyst by any means.

joecanada

A gigantic leap for those with 4k TVs ? They'll still have a challenge changing that message . Sony's going to sell 50 million soon they don't care which you buy

Guymelef

You know what?
If PS4 Pro bombs, MS should be more worried about it than Sony...

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Why? They never said or marketed it as their next system. I'm sure Scorpio will be marketed as MS's next big thing seeing as they already said as such. By the time we start to see some real concrete things about Scorpio, maybe Sony will leak some tidbits about PS5 or whatever it will be called, but I'm sure it will equal or blow away whatever Scorpio will be.

Unknown?

Really bad. I'm very surprised.

Agreed, and that's a major weakness come next year. MS will go for the jugular.
MS will have the same problem. If people think the Pro is minor to the PS4 people won't be impressed by Scorpio when comparing it to the Pro. Especially if it's more expensive like its projected to be and like said above if the Pro does bad MS has an even harder time to promote it.

Anyway this is expected. It's about deals and the Pro had nothing. A better gauge would be to see how they compare in a regular month.

RedAssedApe

Banned
can we get %s for cyber monday? thats when the real fun started with the Target 15% off and the ensuing price match frenzy lol (at least for the pro)

shanew21

You know what?
I'd argue they're pretty happy about it, because it means their decision to not upgrade hardware this year was justified (Phil said they had discussed making a PS4 Pro-ish model instead of the S)

It also gives them a full year to learn about what the PS4 Pro did right and wrong without it really killing their market share.

BF is a day where people buy a ton of cheap stuff that is heavily advertised. The Pro number really doesn't mean anything, because it wasn't part of those deals.

Why would anyone go and buy a Pro on Black Friday?

Bgamer90

Banned
You know what?

I think MS has plans to market/push the Scorpio as if it's pretty much an all new Xbox that's compatible with Xbox One games and accessories so I don't think they'll worry too much (at least not yet).

Gives them examples to see what to do with the console -- pricing, advertising, etc.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Sony never wanted the Pro to be looked at as a major upgrade, and i doubt they are scared of Scorpio.

Unknown?

can we get %s for cyber monday? thats when the real fun started with the Target 15% off and the ensuing price match frenzy lol (at least for the pro)
All we know is PS4 did better on Cyber Monday. No figures and that counts for December.

I'd argue they're pretty happy about it, because it means their decision to not upgrade hardware this year was justified (Phil said they had discussed making a PS4 Pro-ish model instead of the S)

It also gives them a full year to learn about what the PS4 Pro did right and wrong without it really killing their market share.

They're happy about putting out a $500+ box when the market is proven to be highly price sensitive?

Quonny

so you're telling me that the console that had no discounts didnt sell well against the two consoles that were price slashed and bundled to hell and back?

tell me more because i dont believe you

Guymelef

I think MS has plans to market/push the Scorpio as if it's pretty much an all new Xbox that's compatible with Xbox One games and accessories so I don't think they'll worry too much (at least not yet).

Gives them time to see what to do with the console -- pricing, advertising, etc.

But it's not an "all new Xbox that's compatible with Xbox One games" still a Xbox One.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Gives them examples to see what to do with the console -- pricing, advertising, etc.

Not if the console is supposed to not have its own games and be stuck to having games playable for XB1, you have to think of that as well. its still a pro like scenario, especially without zen.

Top Bottom