• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey Ships 250k Copies

Emitan

Sales deserved. Such a good game. Eff yew monster hunter.

Edit: I will say this, fuck those online errors.

lol

The first half or so of the game is really good and when every quest turned into "Slay 50 of the same enemy" I stopped playing.

If you found it for less than MSRP I'd say to buy it, but it's much shallower than MH and doesn't last as long.

Tiops

Wait, people keep comparing this to SS; that's not good for me. Does SS at least have some sort of progression system?
It's a Monster Hunter style game, where you select a mission, kill enemies, get items and progress with the story.

But SS has a lot of stuff that makes it different from those games. The story is more important, the combat is faster than Monster Hunter, focuses on magics, etc.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Omg congrats Gungho/XSeed!

67d90ee8.gif

Yasss to good sales!

matmanx1

The core gameplay is solid enough but there's not enough there for me to justify the $40 price tag. If it ever goes on sale at $20 or less I would buy a copy. I like it that much, at least.

The game wasn't bad but still great news on the sales.

It had quite a grind, hoping for drops in weapons and cards was pretty annoying and all the negative factors against the hunter class were about the only negatives I had against the game.

jwk94

It's a Monster Hunter style game, where you select a mission, kill enemies, get items and progress with the story.

But SS has a lot of stuff that makes it different from those games. The story is more important, the combat is faster than Monster Hunter, focuses on magics, etc.

does it have a leveling system?

Pretty impressive considering it is a niche title and a lot of people bought it off PSN as well. Proof the vita can be a profitable platform. Take the Media Molecule route, devote a small team and budget with a great idea and turn them loose. This method can work. One only needs to look at the Vita community here on GAF to know Vita owners are insatiable,
and terribly weak willed, so they make many blind purchases lol.

lantus

This is good, especially for these small publishers. This bodes well for Soul Sacrifice, which will get a much bigger push because of Sony.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, do we have any sales numbers for Persona 4?

callous

Basically this; the game felt like the empty shell of an ARPG/MMO/whatever. In place of leveling, stats are increased through item upgrades, however the upgrade curve is so slow, lacking in variety/customization, and reliant on extremely tedious grinding that there's no sense of accomplishment. It's an endless cycle of grind monsters to get materials to make your next weapon to grind more monsters to get more materials to etc etc. with nothing to break up the monotony.

Spot on. I was so hyped for this game and it was a major reason for me getting a Vita. But it's like it's a loot game where all the loot is crap and nothing ever gets upgraded. Coupled with no leveling and you feel like there's zero progression. Actual combat is good fun, actually, but it's not enough. I'd probably sell it if it wasn't a DD.

I only played the demo, but from what I heard, the demo is pretty much what you'll expect from the full game.

And the demo was shit, so yeah. Never played the full game.

Alchemy

Not bad. Game was grindy playing solo, I trailed off around the second giant fight. It was decently entertaining for a while though.

Crap. I might have to rethink my pre-order then. I'll probably take a gander at some gameplay videos thoguh.

Technically, after every chapter you rank up, which gives you a permanent stat increase - so there's leveling of a sort, it's just not something you can influence through grinding.

Tambini

I thought the game looked nice but the demo bored me to tears. Nice sales though, I know a lot of people did enjoy it.

Jeels

Was interested in this game around launch time (especially after no NA LoA announcement), but after playing the demo and hearing impressions it seemed like a really mediocre game. Glad it's doing well though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Played the whole game online with a friend, nearly have the Platinum.
Fun co-op, but probably too boring solo.

Minions

Fun game, wish they would release the RO mmo for the vita in some way. I'd play the hell out of that. Ended up getting the platinum on it, definitely worth the money if you like Monsterhunter type games.

Glad to see the game is being successful and hope for a sequel (with actual towns, instead of a hub of missions)

DiscoJer

I thought the game looked nice but the demo bored me to tears. Nice sales though, I know a lot of people did enjoy it.

Same here. I feel guilty because I was going to buy it until the demo. When companies like Xseed are nice enough to post them, I hate to penalize them, but the game is just not...fun. At least for me. I was expecting something more akin to Phantasy Star: Portable.

How are they pleased with the attach rate when the game hasn't even gone on sale yet? They shipped 250k copies, ok, but why bring up attach rate in this context?

EDIT: For some reason I was thinking Soul Sacrifice, not Ragnarok Odyssey. My bad.

Wow that's awesome - congrats to Gungho and XSEED. Hopefully this helps encourage other niche or indie developers to bring games over.

Impressive. The vita's fanbase is small but at least it's active and out there buying games. No wonder XSSED is bringing over more Vita games (assuming a good share of the sales are in NA)

I'll second the Namco comments. Tales, God Eater, One Piece... I would buy them all

Regarding RO - I don't hate it but it isn't drawing me in as much as I would have liked. I only picked it up a few weeks ago. An opening act for Soul Sacrifice which I hope is much better

RpgN

Nice, 20th Feb can't come soon enough. I've given the demo a second try (first time with the Japanese version), impressions are the same in that it's more simple and lacking a bit of depth, but I've accepted that. It's still tons of fun and timing does play a bigger role. The game looks polished. Plus, you can't really go wrong with 24 pounds on release. I'm going to play the full game and judge for myself wether it's good or not.

One thing did stand out in comparison to other MH clones is that this game has a more typical jrpg charm to it. Even though it won't be a ps1 rpg, the music, witty dialogue and colourful graphics still help in bringing some of that feeling over in a multiplayer focused rpg.

callous

One thing did stand out in comparison to other MH clones is that this game has a more typical jrpg charm to it. Even though it won't be a ps1 rpg, the music, witty dialogue and colourful graphics still help in bringing some of that feeling over in a multiplayer focused rpg.

Things is, there isn't much new dialogue after the demo. Nor much sense of progression. Anyway, enjoy! :p

I was looking forward to this game for weeks, maybe months - but it didn't deliver in one crucial way: no experience for grinding. My enthusiasm for a new RPG overwhelmed my sense as a consumer; research first. In the end, it just wasn't what I was hoping for, so I put it down.

Sad panda.

Zhengi

+1 copy sold to me. I'm just waiting for them to deliver it and my copy of Persona 4 Gold. I have been having fun with Disgaea 3 though. Great game so far.

Top Bottom