• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

apparent terror attack happening where i just left, hands shaking

Hope everything is safe for you, try to just calm your mind.! But I have to ask, can you really buy tear gas?

well in Estonia you can.. i bought it just in case for shit like this. now i'll always carry it.

jesus fucking christ seriously, the attack happened RIGHT UNDER THE WINDOW OF MY LAST APARTMENT. i cant comprehend this.

im still in the bus with everyone who left from Turku, some are panicking a bit but mostly calm... im afraid to step out in 4 minutes though... fuck.

myco666

Hearing this first from Gaf is weird. Like really weird. Stay safe Turku gaffers.

i cannot believw this, im in the bus soon arriving in Tampere, what if theres an attack too and i fucking die in excruciating pain from a gunshot or knife

good god seriously, i should have brought my self defense tear gas..

Try to calm down. Tampere will probably be totally fine.

Airola

Tomorrow is "Taiteiden yö" here with tons of people gathering around the city. (It was yesterday - whew)

God I hope the police are able to find every single person attempting to do anything.

OP, be safe!
I'm glad I decided to stay home today.

EDIT:
oh, Taiteiden yö was yesterday

If it is, as we suspect, I think it's clear something needs to change.

Too many disturbed, brainwashed individuals, convinced into this shit.

Ros8105

We will probably see more of these firsthand accounts in the future here on GAF, this shit seems like it's everyday stuff now in Europe, it's ridiculous.

Play some tetris or something equally intensive.

Studies have shown that this makes the chance of trauma or invasive memories a lot smaller.

good tip thanks.

Hearing this first from Gaf is weird. Like really weird. Stay safe Turku gaffers.

Try to calm down. Tampere will probably be totally fine.

yeah, were there now. this fucking sucks having to go to a public station right after a terror attack.

i will report when im totally safe! thanks for being reassuring GAF.

edit: safe! and going to a wedding. what a bizarre fucking day.

TTOOLL

It's a battle of ideas, it's an attack on Western culture. Those fucking radicals will never accept our society, they want to destroy us, destroy our rights in the name of religion.

Breakage

It's a battle of ideas, it's an attack on Western culture. Those fucking radicals will never accept our society, they want to destroy us, destroy our rights in the name of religion.
I think the fact that their ideology is underpinned by a global religion will always mean the West takes a half-hearted approach to tackling Islamic terrorism.

Audioboxer

There's plenty of analytical looks into why it's 99.9% men/males carrying out these attacks, and what pieces of the jigsaw all fit together for the MO of the majority of the attackers.

Religious indoctrination often plays a core role, but it's peppered with lots of social status situations (wealth, popularity, life prospects such as employment, etc). It doesn't take someone in criminology to connect the dots here. There's more than enough attacks on display for the general public to start looking at things analytically and making connections.

The question that we come to at the top of the totem pole is how do we deal with these men, preventively, to either "help them" or at least stop them from being able to carry out attacks.

WhatNXt

We always say this but deep down I think they know they can't win. They're just that far gone they want to lash out and hurt and kill people even if it means hurting or killing themselves, even if it makes life hell for other Muslims. The ideas are at the start of it for sure, but you have to be a mentally vulnerable, sick or twisted fuck to be able to buy in to those ideas in the first place.

If the police have got one apprehended, hopefully they'll get them all and anyone connected with encouraging it.

Tovarisc

There is video going around that shows people running away from attack site and yelling. Because reverb between buildings is bonkers it's hard to tell what they are yelling(I think there is one or two clear "watch out" shouts in Finnish) so some are now saying they are yelling "Allahu akbar".

TL:DR; They may not be yelling what you think they are / are told they are.

We have had way more mentally ill people that have done horrendous attacks here in Finland. School shootings, driving over pedestrians, knife attacks, bomb explosion in a shopping mall etc. All done by Finnish individuals. We can't even help people who suffer from mental issues, so I don't see how we can fix this.

Tovarisc

2DJosR8.png

https://twitter.com/L_S_poliisi/status/898552624647163907

Breakage

There's plenty of analytical looks into why it's 99.9% men/males carrying out these attacks, and what pieces of the jigsaw all fit together for the MO of the majority of the attackers.

Religious indoctrination often plays a core role, but it's peppered with lots of social status situations (wealth, popularity, life prospects such as employment, etc). It doesn't take someone in criminology to connect the dots here. There's more than enough attacks on display for the general public to start looking at things analytically and making connections.

The question that we come to at the top of the totem pole is how do we deal with these men, preventively, to either "help them" or at least stop them from being able to carry out attacks.
Drugs also seems to be an invariable element too. On Sky news, an eyewitness to the 2nd attack in Spain said one of the attackers simply got back up after being shot by police. Haven't heard anything about any of them wearing body armour so wouldn't be surprised if it was the effects of a substance.

syllogism

The video shows several people running towards Puutori and one of them is carrying a baseball bat. According to witness statements a passerby attempted to subdue the attacker with a bat. If this is true, the people in the video were not involved in the attack and it would explain why some eye witnesses believe there were multiple attackers.

GCX

While there aren't that many details yet, it seems like the police acted very effectively and fast with the whole situation. Good job.

Audioboxer

Drugs also seems to be an invariable element too. On Sky news, an eyewitness to the 2nd attack in Spain said one of the attackers simply got back up after being shot by police. Haven't heard anything about any of them wearing body armour so wouldn't be surprised if it was the effects of a substance.

That could be adrenaline. I'd maybe go as far to say drugs might be in use, or getting trafficked, so maybe a variable but I think low-prospect males are more front and centre than "out of control drug addicts".

Starting at the end of this page and onto the second I brought up something I feel is relevant, the concept of martyrdom as it's taught by radical preachers/fundamentalists http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420518&page=15 If you mix that concept with low social status males, possibly those with little life prospects or enjoyment/success, it can be a potent mix. I truly think it goes ways to explaining why so many of the terrorist attacks across Europe are religiously inspired, coming from people who probably truly believe their slaughtering and inevitably being killed by police will be rewarded. The attackers most likely do believe in some concept of them becoming "war heroes" and getting rewarded in an afterlife that will be far more lavish, exciting and powerful than their current mundane or miserable lives.

The huge problem here is whether you want to believe your afterlife will be better than your living life or not, you have no right to take other people's lives away for your own satisfaction or twisted God complex. That is terrorism.

Tovarisc

The attacker attacked a woman with strollers :/ according to an eye witness.

What is source on this? Haven't seen this in any Finnish media reporting myself.

Edit: nvm, saw it in TS reporting now
--------

People ran after attacker once they realized what was going down, chasing him with bats etc. Then police shot attacker to leg.

This according Turun Sanomat reporting.

I guess summer makes all these losers realise their life is shit so they go do something for their amazing cause.. fuck off idiots.

Good on people actually trying to stop this rotten piece of shit, I honestly have no idea if I would do that if it were to happen here. Not a big fan of playing the hero but these folks I consider heroes.

What the hell is happening though, Jesus man. Finland? I could be wrong but that would be one of the last places I'd expect it. I guess this shows it can happen anywhere.

This makes me want to buy pepper spray. Stay safe.

I getcha, but it wouldn't matter if these lowlives approached you from behind for example.

Kurtofan

That could be adrenaline. I'd maybe go as far to say drugs might be in use, or getting trafficked, so maybe a variable but I think low-prospect males are more front and centre than "out of control drug addicts".

they take the drug captagon during their attacks, they use it in syria as well.

jiiikoo

Banned
Good on people actually trying to stop this rotten piece of shit, I honestly have no idea if I would do that if it were to happen here. Not a big fan of playing the hero but these folks I consider heroes.

What the hell is happening though, Jesus man. Finland? I could be wrong but that would be one of the last places I'd expect it. I guess this shows it can happen anywhere.

I getcha, but it wouldn't matter if these lowlives approached you from behind for example.

According to some, there were people with their cell phones out taking pictures and videos while the attacker was running with the knife...

I think they shot a suspect in the leg.

Did they catch him alive?

Man, I hope they do a number on him to "extract" more information about associates and any other plots.

Saw a picture of the attacker in the back of an ambulance and he seemed to be alive.

I think they shot a suspect in the leg.

Did they catch him alive?

Man, I hope they do a number on him to "extract" more information about associates and any other plots.

Finland contributes humanitarian aid to the coalition against ISIS. The terrorist assholes basically don't care if it's humanitarian or militarily or anything, they will attack anyone and any country that is against them.

forms

Feels frightening to consider the future of Sweden, men vs women ration being worse than China in some age groups due to immigration. Since our integration is basically shit, I am afraid the conditions will make more psychos appear.

Stay safe in Finland.

Top Bottom