• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

apparent terror attack happening where i just left, hands shaking

Audioboxer

Yeah, I've seen some countries say that is the plan but they need to carry it out effectively. Within that article

The price tag of such an ambitious plan over a short timeline is going to be significant.

Sources confirm the dollar figures reported by The Canadian Press on Friday: $876.7 million for this first year alone. A large part of those initial costs come from airlifting thousands of people by Dec. 31.

The total cost of the program is expected to be $1.2 billion over six years.

The crisis of refugees from Syria and northern Iraq is part of the agenda as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau meets with provincial and territorial premiers in Ottawa on Monday.

In a letter last week, Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall called for the federal government to suspend its plans to fast-track so many new arrivals, citing concerns over rushing security checks.

Most people do want to help when there is suffering in the world, but if tax payers have to foot large bills to help then it can be understandable to see anger if the Government ends up letting in people who then carry out attacks. A country has every right to protect its citizens which is why some of the arguments from the "far left" when it comes to something like "no boder control needed" is as looneytunes as the right trying to advocate for permanently "shut borders".

The balance as always lies somewhere in the middle, understandably not wanting to accept or support people wanting to come in that are serious threats, whilst wanting to help and let others come in and become contributing and prospering citizens.

An issue we have with many refugees is that neighbouring countries say "fuck this we're not helping" and there ends up being a genuinely sizeable strain placed on the countries that do help. Quite honestly trade restrictions and more should be put in place against these countries, but as always, oil is blood money in the world and none of our Governments are going to touch Saudi Arabia or some of the others are they? Irony. Some of our countries *cough Britain* say they'll help the refugees whilst our PM goes off to Saudi Arabia to sell them British weapons. Directly responsible for funding the Wahhabism they tell the people of the UK they condemn. LOL, eh? What else can you really say at this point... The right in the UK aren't going to touch their darling PM and right-wing Conservative government selling arms to the Saudi's, but they'll rattle on about immigration no problem.

Shredderi

Did you feel safe in Finland before? I know this was inevitable, but again, we have had school shootings, bomb in a shopping mall, single person knife attacks on random people and just recently a guy driving over pedestrians.

Unfortunately these attacks are more common now, but Finland has had its share of crazy attacks before.

I'm not a good person to ask that since I'm more paranoid than most are, way before any of this. I'm always on high alert when I'm outside. I'm not twitchy and sweating bullets visibly but I've always been afraid of the world. But the thing is, to me the random aspect of these attacks are what warrants the extra fear.

It feels impossible to try to put myself in the shoes of someone who could stab a mother pushing her baby around in a cart. Stabbing her in the back. It's so far removed from anything I have ever felt that it might as well be from another dimension.

Nabbis

Did you feel safe in Finland before? I know this was inevitable, but again, we have had school shootings, bomb in a shopping mall, single person knife attacks on random people and just recently a guy driving over pedestrians.

Unfortunately these attacks are more common now, but Finland has had its share of crazy attacks before.

Isolated incidents where half of them are directly related to failed mental healthcare on the authorities part, some of those people were even on a "watchlist" with prior dealings with the police.

Really shitty to lump the current trend of particular brand of terrorism and other past events that had nothing in common with each other(aside from mental healthcare).

GCX

Isolated incidents where half of them are directly related to failed mental healthcare on the authorities part, some of those people were even on a "watchlist" with prior dealings with the police.

Really shitty to lump the current trend of particular brand of terrorism and other past events that had nothing in common with each other(aside from mental healthcare).
We don't have the information yet though whether today's events were a terrorist attack or an isolated incident.

Tovarisc

From press conference by police
  • 1602 call from stabbing
  • Young man stabbed 2 persons at Kauppatori
  • Suspect moved from Kauppatori to direction of Puutori, stabbing people along the way
  • 8 stabbed, 2 dead
  • Police shot suspect at 1620
  • Suspect currently in hospital
Edit: Times are in local Finnish time, CEST+1

Edit: Police are actively investigation background of suspect (identity etc.) and starting to look into motives etc. Working together with Europol

Edit: At this time they aren't calling this terrorism, need more information

Nabbis

We don't have the information yet though whether today's events were a terrorist attack or an isolated incident.

Message boards and a reporter during the current livestream on Yle said that witnesses heard the man shouting "Allah..." something. Obviously not 100% certain even with that, but seems rather damning.

kAmui-

Message boards and a reporter during the current livestream on Yle said that witnesses heard the man shouting "Allah..." something. Obviously not 100% certain even with that, but seems rather damning.

They were yelling "varokaa".

jiiikoo

Banned
They werent shouting that. It was "watch out" in Finnish, "varokaa"

GCX

There's been conflicting reporting about that too, some are saying people were just shouting "watch out".

I'd wait for an investigation results before drawing conclusions.

Kassu

Banned
Nice ylilauta sources lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finland contributes humanitarian aid to the coalition against ISIS. The terrorist assholes basically don't care if it's humanitarian or militarily or anything, they will attack anyone and any country that is against them.

That shit doesn't matter. They'll attack ANYONE, just because they can. They hate our way of life and want to murder us for it. Doesn't matter if the country in question is actually part of the efforts against IS.

(If this is indeed IS/Islamic extremists.)

artsi

There is a video from the scene where you can hear a man shouting, I'm not saying with 100% certainty but to me it sounds much like allahu akbar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001LRtu7ND8

No gore in this or anything, just people running on the street.

kAmui-

Also, mad props to those who went to help those that were attacked. According to witnesses, they attacked the initial attacker with baseballs bats and one guy had a fucking lawn chair.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Something drastic needs to be done about this. This is bad not just for the victims but the muslims living in those countries. it reflects poorly on them regardless of whether or not it's just a few bad apples. Reports suggested the guy stabbed women and a baby in a push chair while screaming allah-u-akbar. wtf kind of sick person does something like this? And why are they not getting caught by the immigration, counter terrorism and mental health departments?

New laws for immigration, stricter overall laws for muslims, and maybe probation like checkups for refugees coming in. and i say that as a muslim living abroad. its awful to see how frequent these attacks have become. so much innocent loss of life and there is not a goddamn thing being done about it. if anything, you get ridiculed and dismissed for even talking about it.

EDIT: Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/finland-terror-attack-several-people-11010652

Airola

They were yelling "varokaa".

Yeah, in that one video.

But other witnesses have claimed he shouted "allahu akbar", not related to that video.
My old teacher wrote on facebook he was watching the situation happen from a bus and he said the same.

They might not be correct, of course, but there are others claiming that was shouted by the guy.

kAmui-

Yeah, in that one video.

But other witnesses have claimed he shouted "allahu akbar", not related to that video.
My old teacher wrote on facebook he was watching the situation happen from a bus and he said the same.

They might not be correct, of course, but there are others claiming that was shouted by the guy.

Witnesses also said there were multiple attackers. Social media also said there were multiple attacks in different parts of the city. Not saying it's 100% the yells aren't "allahu akbar", just that you shouldn't take those things with face value.

Kookos

Fucking hell. Voimia sinne Turkuun!

Also disgusted with how fast the pictures of the bodies started circulating in social media...

Airola

Witnesses also said there were multiple attackers. Social media also said there were multiple attacks in different parts of the city. Not saying it's 100% the yells aren't "allahu akbar", just that you shouldn't take those things with face value.

Yeah, and could be he was only referring to that video as well.

Top Bottom