• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

DMczaf

I'm meeting up with DM on one of the nights. You down too? Shit let make it happen.

Wait what WTF, we got 4 GAF EDM people all going to EDC ?

We can hand massage each other and talk about the ChainSmokers, Lets meet up yes!!!

Yea most likely day 2 or day 3 im meeting up with DM. Not sure what your plans are but im down for whatever!

PM me your phone number if you wanna meet up

I'm heading there right when they open each night to avoid traffic.

Aomber

So two things. First of all, this

That parrot tho.

7CX9Sja.jpg

Anyway, a few comments about what I've heard from this album so far.

- None of the songs so far are bad, but I wouldn't say all of them have been good. Slide was the most memorable but outside of that, these songs don't feel like the smash hits from his previous albums. I remember when I heard songs like "Sweet Nothing" or "Outside", I was like, okay these are surefire monster hits. I'm not saying he should keep making pop house, but this leads me to my second point.

- The album so far feels like an identity crisis. I appreciate that Calvin has stepped away from what everyone else is doing, but to give an analogy, this feels like "Humanz" by Gorillaz so far. Like, what am I supposed to be paying attention to & what's the point here? There's way too many vocal features on every song, none of which seem to really occupy the spotlight. The best example I can think of is Heatstroke that has Ariana Grande on it - she essentially just sings two lines throughout the entire song. That does such an injustice to her voice, I'd rather hear a song by Calvin with JUST her vocals on it, then another one with JUST Pharrell's vocals on it, you know what I mean? Also Calvin took such a laid back approach to these productions that it feels like he's putting himself on the back-burner despite it being his album. And speaking of featured artists, my final point.

- I can't stand the rap features on the songs so far. They're either not good and/or autotuned to absolute hell, for me personally that only rarely works, and the guys who can pull it off aren't on this album. Again, this is part of the issue of having too many features, I wish these were chucked out entirely.

We'll have to see what the final product delivers in two weeks time but these are my thoughts so far.

-------------------------------------

On a separate not, Flume contributed on 'The Louvre' from Lorde's new album, Melodrama. And this entire album is an ABSOLUTE MUST listen it's fucking amazing :D I won't do a full review here because I'm pretty busy but there is definitely a number of EDM tracks in here I'd check out

yi6MfUr.jpg

"DJ Khaled single handedly destroys his career and gets booed off stage at EDC Vegas" https://youtu.be/C2Fxu8LiAyI

LMAO was anyone there for this?

I was.. shit was so dumb. He took 1 hour to get ready, he was supposed to play at 12 to 1 then yellow claw from 1 to 2. So i came at like 12:50 expecting the end of his set and start of yellowclaw. Instead at 1 he came out and was like my bad it took an hour long wait to get ready imma start my set now...

Aomber

Axwell /\ Ingrosso Talk Renegade, Swedish House Mafia and The Chainsmokers

Interesting interview. I think their music isn't so great now a day but I thought it was cool to see them say they're always looking to do something new and don't wanna just do the same thing over and over, like they definitely didn't wanna be SHM V2. I can respect that, I just hope they evolve eventually into something I prefer a little more.

The one thing I didn't agree with them on is them saying The Chainsmokers invented a sound, and that there's "respect to be had there". I don't understand why so many people turn a blind eye to Flume, whether they just didn't hear him do that sound first or what, but they even acknowledge that The Chainsmokers can successfully repeat that same style... The basis of their entire argument is flawed by ignoring the obvious.

mYm|17|

Heard Zedd was coming to Seattle. Got my Spotify early presale code and so I go and try and get some tickets and they are all sold out :(

Hope I can get tickets when they go on general sale on friday.

mr stroke

Axwell / Ingrosso Talk Renegade, Swedish House Mafia and The Chainsmokers

Interesting interview. I think their music isn't so great now a day but I thought it was cool to see them say they're always looking to do something new and don't wanna just do the same thing over and over, like they definitely didn't wanna be SHM V2. I can respect that, I just hope they evolve eventually into something I prefer a little more.

The one thing I didn't agree with them on is them saying The Chainsmokers invented a sound, and that there's "respect to be had there". I don't understand why so many people turn a blind eye to Flume, whether they just didn't hear him do that sound first or what, but they even acknowledge that The Chainsmokers can successfully repeat that same style... The basis of their entire argument is flawed by ignoring the obvious.

Not even just Flume, id say guys like Flux Pavilion, Hudson Mohawke, Cashmere Cat & even Odesza all helped pioneer that sound. The Shitsmokers didn't do shit but make catchy hooks and have lucky timing.

Aomber

Not even just Flume, id say guys like Flux Pavilion, Hudson Mohawke, Cashmere Cat & even Odesza all helped pioneer that sound. The Shitsmokers didn't do shit but make catchy hooks and have lucky timing.

As an overall sound I totally agree, I was more specifically talking about the vroom vroom saw waves that Chainsmokers use a lot in songs like Roses and Something Just Like This

Glad you mentioned Hudson because I feel like he's often overlooked haha

Damn did Twitch chat love the shit out of nobody during the EDC streams lol. People go, "we want _______!" DJ shows up,
, "We want _______!" rinse and repeat lol. It's Twitch chat though and they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

But uh..... The stream was bad this year. Messed up schedules, technical issues, my faves weren't given enough time, and it just so happens to happen during a shitty part of my life right now.

I'm really surprised that Will Sparks was playing some Psy Trance lol. I think a few bigger DJ's played at least one Hardstyle track and that was also surprising to hear. Big ups to a couple Hardstyle artists that started producing Psy Trance or experimenting with it because that shit is good. The Vini Vici set that was shown was some good shit!

Regards to The Chainsmoker's..... I don't care anymore. I only care about the remixes to their songs now. Give me some Hardstyle, Big Room, and Electro House remixes to their songs and I'm good.

Ashhong

WaMu is pretty big, I don't think it will be an issue.

Iduno about that. Resellers will sell out any venue.

On a side note, just got tickets for Kaskades beach show in socal. Hype!

I didn't listen to the interview that started this convo but I think it might just be referring to their pop synth sound? Yea it was pioneered by others but they do have a very specific, if not generic, style

Listening to the Seven Lions set at EDC and OMG..............Castles in the Sky!

Links to his set please! Is there one for the sunrise set?

Aomber

There's a new ZHU x NERO song coming out, can't link to the video because it's NSFW but it's pretty easy to find the teaser.

DMczaf

The only crappy part of the weekend was getting my phone stolen on Sunday. I got my replacement from Sprint for $200, but I couldn't take any vids of the fireworks during Seven Lions set :(

Psytrance leading into A Way To Say Goodbye with a 10 min firework show...the feels...

Ashhong

The only crappy part of the weekend was getting my phone stolen on Sunday. I got my replacement from Sprint for $200, but I couldn't take any vids of the fireworks during Seven Lions set :(

Psytrance leading into A Way To Say Goodbye with a 10 min firework show...the feels...

That Faith song he used in the mashup was perfect. Love how he can seamlessly use trance in his sets and music. The hero trance deserves.

Ashhong

Found a 30 min vid of Seven Lions sunrise psytrance set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcPPA964E4E

He's a Guinness man. Good choice.

Trying to see if I can find myself down there, I was there for a good 20-25 mins, then I ran to the surprise Kaskade set (I'm not even a big Kaskade fan, but that was a hell of a lot of fun)

Awesome. Can't wait to see Kaskade at the beach

Did Sander Van Doorn (P.Haze) only play for 17 mins at EDC? i can only find his set of 17mins online... :(

That's just the live stream. I can't find the audio anywhere, I think he palyed for like an hour

DMczaf

Awesome. Can't wait to see Kaskade at the beach

That's just the live stream. I can't find the audio anywhere, I think he palyed for like an hour

Kaskade played a 2 hour and 15 min set to close EDC....and he wasn't even supposed to be there !

Literally flew in that night, set up and killed it for 2+ hours.

Love artists like that.

Kaskade played a 2 hour and 15 min set to close EDC....and he wasn't even supposed to be there !

Love artists like that.
Hell yea i got the notification on my phone told my crew they were too messed up to comprehend what i was saying. So i just left lol.

Ashhong

Love artists like that.

God dammit! Was that on Sunday? I think last year he did a surprise Redux set on an art cart or some shit. Maybe 2 years ago. He's too cool

DMczaf

God dammit! Was that on Sunday? I think last year he did a surprise Redux set on an art cart or some shit. Maybe 2 years ago. He's too cool

Yup Sunday.

All other sets ended at like 5:30...Kaskade was still going til around 5:45-6 (he started at 3:30), so he was the last one playing music.

He literally closed EDC. So fun.

Top Bottom