• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle - Collection 1 |OT| Netflix Standup Special - It's a Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our leader Evilore, Tyler Malka, going to all the cool shit!

evilore_tyler_malka_dave_chappelle_by_digi_matrix-db31i9t.gif
Jesus Dave is huge compared to back then in his show days.

DJKhaled

I can imagine people overreacting to the gay and trans jokes but I thought these were both pretty hilarious stand ups. I love Dave.

hwalker84

Didn't seem up yet for me. Was hoping to download before leaving to the airport an hour ago.

Edit: lol they were up. My sleep deprived self just had a brain fart.

I can imagine people overreacting to the gay and trans jokes but I thought these were both pretty hilarious stand ups. I love Dave.

i think it's a fair criticism. those jokes made me cringe a few times seeming dated but it's easy to tell his heart is in the right place.

and damn, his bit about fighting for rights and "taking it slow/it takes time" somehow feels like foresight. This all made me realize these were all taped before the election and the shit show this country has become today.

Really looking forward to the next collection..would love to hear his thoughts/opinions on current happenings.

DJKhaled

i think it's a fair criticism. those jokes made me cringe a few times seeming dated but it's easy to tell his heart is in the right place.

and damn, his bit about fighting for rights and "taking it slow/it takes time" somehow feels like foresight. This all made me realize these were all taped before the election and the shit show this country has become today.

Really looking forward to the next collection..would love to hear his thoughts/opinions on current happenings.

I didn't like the use of the word fag but you can tell he doesn't mean it in a bad way and like you said his heart is in the right place. He seems very supportive for gay and trans people considering his age and how the culture was when he was last in the spotlight.

He mentions Garry Shandling's death at the end of the first special, which was March 24th, 2016, so this could have been shot before the election?

Stasis

I was just coming in to ask if EviLore was there, lol. It really does look like him at the end.

Second show was much better than the first for me, though both were entertaining. I had more laugh out loud moments with Austin.

When is the third?

First one was great, though the LGBT jokes were just really weak. Like if you're going to do a "non-PC" joke, it's gotta have a better punchline than: gay people are into fashion.

First one was great, though the LGBT jokes were just really weak. Like if you're going to do a "non-PC" joke, it's gotta have a better punchline than: gay people are fashionable.

Yeah, that was by far the weakest section of the set. First one was just okay? Idk, I guess I was expecting more. Will watch the second one tonight.

FatalT

Banned
The irony is that if Dave Chapelle had an account here and made the jokes he did, he'd be instantly perma-banned.

Air

Banned
Finished the first one. Thought it was strong but not as good as his older ones. Still had a good time with it. Will watch the second one tonight.

Risible

The irony is that if Dave Chapelle had an account here and made the jokes he did, he'd be instantly perma-banned.

Yeah, I have to admit, I'm surprised at how positive the reactions are here to the special.

I thought the LGBTQ bits were cringey and straight out of the 90s. Add in the rape stuff and I was like "Uhhhhh...."

Him going in on Key & Peele seemed pretty lame. I never ever thought of them as a Chappelle Show replacement. He seems pretty bitter about it between the joke he did and the interview stuff he's said.

Ivan 3414

Thats because NeoGAF is a safe space. It's not a stand-up stage, nor should it be.

And even with that, most folks here think they are comedians. I can't imagine how much shittier this place would get if Dave Chappelle was an unbanned poster here.

Air

Banned
Yeah, I have to admit, I'm surprised at how positive the reactions are here to the special.

I thought the LGBTQ bits were cringey and straight out of the 90s. Add in the rape stuff and I was like "Uhhhhh...."

Him going in on Key & Peele seemed pretty lame. I never ever thought of them as a Chappelle Show replacement. He seems pretty bitter about it between the joke he did and the interview stuff he's said.

I actually thought the LGBTQ parts weren't bad. He admitted that he's old and a bit slow to adapt, but he is willing to change.

I think the weakest part was how long it took to buildup to some jokes.

bounchfx

Listened to the first one last night, quite enjoyed it. After reading some shit here it made it sound like some of the LGBT jokes were somehow bigoted but no, not even remotely true. Dated is a better word but as others have mentioned you can tell he has no hate toward them whatsoever. Looking forward to the second one.

Trey

first one was great. the only knock I have is that on his more contentious jokes he draws them out. it's to make a point and he ties it into the theme of his show but he doesn't ride the shock punchline too well in this one. But it was legitimately clever and cohesive - definitely a master of his craft.

i was very happy to see a more retooled routine than the one I saw live last year: I only knew two jokes beforehand. he weaves new experiences and current events into his routine so seamlessly.

Just started watching the first one, wonder how long it's gonna take for me to get used to him being jacked (brother) and having a gruffer voice.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Watching the first special now. I'm really digging it so far. Lots of these recent Netflix standup specials have been disappointing, so it's nice to find one that isn't just hastily cobbled together material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom