• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle - Collection 1 |OT| Netflix Standup Special - It's a Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who's always appreciated Dave Chappelle but never really absorbed him like many people my age, watching this special had me rolling.

WuuuuuTANNNNGBOOOOOOWP

Watched the first special at work today again and I was rolling.

The joke about being boo'd in Detroit and buying all that gum so people can chew something and still be hungry.....dead, insert Pinocchio gif

Dude is what, 7 years older than me? Maybe a little older so I can totally relate to that wheaties box part.

Someone groaned at one of his jokes and he was like "you better toughen up, cause it's going to get worse"

Then of course all the things people had problems with in this thread but I'm beginning to think people think things are funny until they can relate to what is the joke, which then suddenly said jokes are not funny. I'm honestly surprised more people are mad at transgender jokes than Dave dropping the F bomb.

OJ stories, also funny.

Hydrus

Watched these the other day. First one had some good material, but Dave was rough. Second one was better and Dave looked and acted like his old self. Good stuff, but I didn't laugh as much as I thought I would.

Preferred the second but both were great, he's at his best when he's a bit angry about something imo.

My other observation was that Chapelle is just getting old. He's going to be an excellent old grumpy man comedian in 15 years.

Piichan

Banned
Watched both of these. This was actually my first introduction to Chapelle (outside of meme pics whenever there's a firmware update thread over at gaming). Really enjoyed it. I wish Netflix had more of his stuff.

killroy87

Chuckled a few times in the first, had to turn the second off halfway, just brutally boring.

I'm sure Netflix will get heir $60 mil worth in terms of views, but these are not $20 mil a piece specials in terms of quality.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Second one is definitely better. Better material, better delivery, and better audience. The first audience got hilariously awkward during some of his spiels and you could tell they weren't in it. Second crowd was feeling it more.

what impressed me the most is what seemed his ability to understand his audience and improvise then seemingly flow back into his structure without an obvious notice.

I'm talking the part in 2nd episode where he was making pussy jokes and he got 2 hecklers during that part, they warent yelling any hate it was like "we love you Dave" from a lady, he gave her a little verbal beatdown which is the right thing to do, but it seemed to genuinely stress him out and make sit down, have a smoke and ask "does me saying pussy offend you" to the crowd then naturally freestyles from there and did a really good job.

What I gathered was he seen that as "We as Women love you Dave, please don't joke like we are just objects" and then while staying on Pussy jokes changed his tone on the fly to a much less misogynistic tone about how he finds it funny how little Wayne says "Pussy Juicey"

It really showed me this man is a true talent for that little wrinkle ironing

I expected them to be better but good stuff. My favorite joke was the white feminism one "You was in on the heist, you just didn't like your cut!". Sums up some of the racist ass suffragettes from early last century too.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Saw this on Andre's twitter feed. Him, Jeff Ross, Chappelle, and Rock all on the same bill tonight in New Orleans. Must've been an insane show. Hurry up and release those Rock specials Netflix!

C70LX98VsAAEsLc.jpg

TIL Eric Andre is dating Rosario Dawson.

MarveI

So I watched both and while I'll enjoy anything Dave puts out I kinda felt it wasn't up to par as Dave's previous work. Killing them softly, For What its worth aside I even think his Half-Hour was superior to the both netflix shows. Felt like it had a lot of ups and downs whereas those shows rarely had lows. Let's hope the 3rd one is his best and can stand next to his legendary KTS and FWIW specials.

Permanently A

Finished both and really enjoyed them. First is definitely the better of the two. The weaving of OJ jokes into the narrative was masterful, and the Bill Cosby final punchline is simply a knockout. I would have cut the gay man movie idea, that was the only bit that felt weak to me. Very strong set with no hyperbole the best punchline I've ever heard. Only way to improve this would to be tweaking the delivery of the movie idea bit.

In the second one, I like the vibe of the show a lot what with him chilling with a cig and shooting the shit. I thought his LGBT jokes were weak - I think its a consequence of him wrestling with not being able to say what he really wants to say. For example in the Netflix version he says "but to what degree do I have to participate in your self-image?" whereas in a leaked recording of the same bit from a few months ago he says "but to what degree do I have to participate in your fantasy?" I know Dave wants to be contemporary and to an extent edgy, but I don't think its working out with this topic.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The only bad part about not allowing cell phones is that I really want to see a video clip of the standup he mentioned, in Detroit I think, where he was high as fuck.

Jzero

I finally watched them and while watching the ending of the second one I'm like " Wait what is that fucking evilore in the audience?!" 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom