• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hate Has No Home Here

I want to run a thought by folks here and see if I'm maybe overthinking this. A friend of mine recently told me he had one of those lawn signs that said "Hate Has No Home Here" and it got stolen. He put out another sign and was just talking about it with this conviction, like if he didn't replace the sign it was a brutal loss. He offered me one of the signs to put on my own lawn. I actually forgot to take it with me when I left there and he texted me later about picking it up.

Now it's not that I disagree with what the sign says, but I can't seem to get past the idea of putting my beliefs on my sleeve. I can't stand the idea of making them so succinct either. Same goes for bumper stickers supporting a candidate or stating things like "Adopt a dog don't buy one", "coexist", etc.

I was trying to explain it to my girlfriend. It's as if I feel like these very one-way expressions are self-serving and almost gross? Like they're meant to accomplish nothing more than to make the person exhibiting them feel good? There's no conversation or even confirmation that they actually follow these mantras, and it seems to cause more division because there really is no actual personal growth that I feel comes from either side of it.

I don't know why it's bugging me this much but I just wanted to express it here and see what other people thought about it. And if anyone can actually tell me a personal experience with this stuff that brought constructive conversation I'd love to hear it.

mr stroke

I never put bumper stickers on my car or signs on my lawn

I honestly don’t give a shit about your political or moral leanings, and you probably don’t care about mine. Stuff like signs are basically confirmation bias, they won’t change anyone’s mind, and only piss off others who don’t agree.

AlexMogil

Well, it made you think about it so it affected you.

The other person might be eating the stolen sign, so it looks like it affected two people.

Baby steps.

Zog

Banned
I have family members on Facebook who put their beliefs out there at every opportunity it seems. Be it their political beliefs or their religious beliefs it is cringe worthy to me. If I see a political sign in my neighbors yard, I ignore it and I even chuckle at some church marquees.I won't be putting any signs in my yard nor will I be Bible thumping.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I agree. Political bumper stickers are cringe inducing to me. Lawn signs are a while different level of douche.

Heath V

I don't do lawn signs or bumper stickers, I refuse to put any stickers on my cars, they're too nice. And the only one sign I will do is the one that the security company gives me.

Ubername

Banned
Yeah it's like those fools who ask if you have a second for the environment, have a minute for gay rights etc.. like yea I care but leave me the fuck alone.

wondermega

Huh, thought this was going to be an expression about the current temperature of this forum, particularly OT lately..

Kadayi

Banned
I'm not against maxims, but life is rarely so simple as to be neatly summarized by a catch-all statement.

Neff

It's kind of an obnoxious trait of the arch-left to magnify self virtue while at the same time (and by necessity) broadcasting the idea that the majority of everything and everyone around them is inherently evil. Such thinking doesn't come from a positive place, it comes from one of fear, paranoia and ego. It's ok to be proud of your principles, but shoving them down people's throats, regardless of your intent, is neither a trusting nor gracious act. Giving people the benefit of the doubt and simply respecting their many broad views is quite difficult for the particular type of blinkered, militant progressive we see a lot of these days. They'd rather feed their addiction to giving people shit with impunity, which of course they can because they've armed themselves with the moral ammunition provided by a confused society to do so.

Dude Abides

Banned
It's kind of an obnoxious trait of the arch-left to magnify self virtue while at the same time (and by necessity) broadcasting the idea that the majority of everything and everyone around them is inherently evil. Such thinking doesn't come from a positive place, it comes from one of fear, paranoia and ego. It's ok to be proud of your principles, but shoving them down people's throats, regardless of your intent, is neither a trusting nor gracious act. Giving people the benefit of the doubt and simply respecting their many broad views is quite difficult for the particular type of blinkered, militant progressive we see a lot of these days. They'd rather feed their addiction to giving people shit with impunity, which of course they can because they've armed themselves with the moral ammunition provided by a confused society to do so.

You realize this thread is about a lawn sign right?

Relativ9

I couldn't care less if someone wants to put a sign in their yard on on their car. Seems like a silly thing to get upset about.

I didn't get the sense that the OP was upset, just that he finds it distasteful. I'm sure there are loads of things people do that you find distasteful, have you ever witnessed someone ever use personal attacks in a political argument against someone else? Same thing, not personally offensive or upsetting to you, but you respect the person less for doing it.

It's the same thing as people writing on their SO's wall telling them how much they love them and how wonderful they are, could just be a private message, but what's the point if everyone else can't see how great, loving and successful your relationship is?

turnbuckle

Have one of these in my yard.
My 2 year old tried taking one from our neighbors so we got one ourselves.
Glad to have it.

What's the opposite of virtue signaling? This thread.

Just as onboxious as VS but even more smug in its above-it-all nonsense.

This thread is trash.

Dude Abides

Banned
Have one of these in my yard.
My 2 year old tried taking one from our neighbors so we got one ourselves.
Glad to have it.

This thread is trash.

Pretty much, but I wouldn’t say it’s the opposite of virtue signaling, just a different form of it. A bunch of overly-sensitive people getting outraged over the most anodyne inoffensive thing in the world.

Huh, thought this was going to be an expression about the current temperature of this forum, particularly OT lately..

I thought about that lol. Haven't been here long enough to really have a say in the community. But I'm coming from a far more vitriolic forum than this. So this feels nice.

Pretty much, but I wouldn’t say it’s the opposite of virtue signaling, just a different form of it. A bunch of overly-sensitive people getting outraged over the most anodyne inoffensive thing in the world.

Outraged is a stretch. I honestly don't care that much when people do it. Just wondering if they think it has some sort of benefit to others or if it's entirely self-serving.

judhudson

Ain't gonna lie, if I were to get a yardsign, it'd be similar to this

funny-presidential-yard-signs-2016-election-12-573311ea009af__605.jpg

Relativ9

This thread is trash.

Can you virtue signal anonymously? Also is anyone expressing frustration over any social interaction and or societal development now somehow guilty of this opposite virtue signaling. Also if virtue signaling is bad (which you clearly agree with), why is the opposite of it not good? :p

(and yes I realise the flaw in the logic of that last one, but it was fun to say)

Also is anyone expressing frustration over any social interaction and or societal development now somehow guilty of this opposite virtue signaling.

No, just those who complain about signs in front yards as endemic of some leftist end times scenario, busting whiny nuts all over their own faces because their smug sense of self-importance hasn't evolved from their middle school years where not caring about anything and being above things (read: being uneducated about literally everything) was the height of cool. So they'll walk around town with cum on their face thinking their so fucking smart for not being like everyone else, which in this case, means "someone with a functioning brain who doesn't make themself look stupid on the regular"

Fucking virtue signaling, lol

Relativ9

No, just those who complain about signs in front yards as endemic of some leftist end times scenario, busting whiny nuts all over their own faces because their smug sense of self-importance hasn't evolved from their middle school years where not caring about anything and being above things (read: being uneducated about literally everything) was the height of cool. So they'll walk around town with cum on their face thinking their so fucking smart for not being like everyone else, which in this case, means "someone with a functioning brain who doesn't make themself look stupid on the regular"

Fucking virtue signaling, lol

Well, that was a thoroughly unnecessarily inflammatory and unsanitary way of saying that :p

I think I essentially agree, that someone who behaved like that would be pretty obnoxious, but I see no evidence of the OP behaving like that in this thread, so I'm not sure what the problem is. If anyone is overreacting right now...

nemoral

Banned
If expressing you care about something is bad, how much worse is going out of your way to make sure people know you don't care? You literally made a thread on a forum to make sure people knew you didn't care about stuff. That's like fifteen year old edgy.

If expressing you care about something is bad, how much worse is going out of your way to make sure people know you don't care? You literally made a thread on a forum to make sure people knew you didn't care about stuff. That's like fifteen year old edgy.

That doesn't sound at all like what I did.

nemoral

Banned
That doesn't sound at all like what I did.

Sure it does. You made a thread complaining about people who express their opinions publicly in a public thread where you're expressing your opinions. You're wearing your opinion on your sleeve every bit as much as the dude with the sign or the chick with the bumper sticker.

With over 2500 views so far, your message is reaching more people than most front yard signs.

When I say beliefs on my sleeve I mean wearing or displaying statements without any actual dialogue. A thread is a conversation about a belief. I'm fully supportive of that and never said I wasn't. I'm not against people having beliefs and expressing them. I disagree with the method in which they're expressed. And I think it's a conversation worth talking about.

-Minsc-

I can kind of see the point you (OP) are trying to make. Everyone does have things they are passionate about though. What I don't agree with is the message on the sign. In the sense of the sign having no hate, that's true. For that person to say they have no hate, well, that's a lie. We all have hate, it's a part of us. What is more important is to be mindful and not let it get the better of us. It's always there, waiting to jump out.

turnbuckle

Can you virtue signal anonymously?

Anonymous how? Are we talking the same anonymity that applies to a person posting on a message board? If so, then yes.
Take one look at Resetera or GAF from 6 weeks ago. The virtues are often in line with what I think is decent, but you can very obviously VS on a message board.

Am I losing something in translation with this question?

Also is anyone expressing frustration over any social interaction and or societal development now somehow guilty of this opposite virtue signaling.

No.

But when it's phrased in a way or when follow-up posts act as if they're better because they don't do thing (the signs are the REAL symbol of hate) then the person is practicing the same type of behavior they call out.

Also if virtue signaling is bad (which you clearly agree with), why is the opposite of it not good? :p

I don't think VS is bad per we. Sometimes it's good to let people know where you stand. But when it's used to stifle conversation or to create an echo chamber of signaling, it can be annoying.

We're all hypocrites on this stuff though. It just depends on the topic or time of day :p

oliander

I'm sure there are plenty of things your friend hates. Violent criminals? Destructive ideologies? Slavery? Trump, probably?

It's such a broad and empty declaration that there's no way to hold someone responsible for not living by it. I can understand why you'd be repelled by it.

Blood Borne

It's nothing but virtue signalling. In my experience, most people going out of their way prove something shows that they have something to hide. It's guilty conscience taking another form.

Why 'defend' yourself when no one is "attacking' you.

turnbuckle

It's nothing but virtue signalling. In my experience, most people going out of their way prove something shows that they have something to hide. It's guilty conscience taking another form.

Didn't realize a sign was a defense.
Don't be a fucking idiot.
What are you hiding?

Zog

Banned

Agreed, it's called psychological projecting.

Top Bottom