• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hate Has No Home Here

When I say beliefs on my sleeve I mean wearing or displaying statements without any actual dialogue. A thread is a conversation about a belief. I'm fully supportive of that and never said I wasn't. I'm not against people having beliefs and expressing them. I disagree with the method in which they're expressed. And I think it's a conversation worth talking about.

Why would you need to have a conversation before you express your beliefs? There's no reason why you only have to do that. May as well get rid of flags.

Why would you need to have a conversation before you express your beliefs? There's no reason why you only have to do that. May as well get rid of flags.

Ok thats not exactly what I'm trying to say hoo boy.

I'm saying that simply expressing a belief with virtually no opportunity for discourse is kinda odd to me.

elmalloc

I never put bumper stickers on my car or signs on my lawn

I honestly don’t give a shit about your political or moral leanings, and you probably don’t care about mine. Stuff like signs are basically confirmation bias, they won’t change anyone’s mind, and only piss off others who don’t agree.

I kind of like seeing the same sign pop up in a neighborhood, you can feel welcome (and it can push others out). So i wouldn't say they have no affect.

Ok thats not exactly what I'm trying to say hoo boy.

I'm saying that simply expressing a belief with virtually no opportunity for discourse is kinda odd to me.

You and the dude dicoursed, and he was happy to tell you. Anyone can discourse with the guy, if they ask.

I just don't get why you would care, when it's so normalized.

I'd also like to take this time to apologize to anyone expecting this thread to be about NeoGAF! I think I speak for everyone when I say you all deserve the best thread titles. The least confusing thread titles.

Confusion....has no home here.

Huh, thought this was going to be an expression about the current temperature of this forum, particularly OT lately..
As did I, as did I.

Sucks that this forum has gone to such shit. Nothing really enjoyable about posting here anymore so I’ve pretty much stopped.

Pretty much, but I wouldn’t say it’s the opposite of virtue signaling, just a different form of it. A bunch of overly-sensitive people getting outraged over the most anodyne inoffensive thing in the world.

Exactly. Moreso than displaying a moral high ground, people might actually be displaying empathy and support for marginalized groups and minorities who might otherwise feel unwelcome in a neighborhood that is culturally homogenous, like many white middle and upper class neighborhoods tend to be.

Relativ9

So disliking hate isn't something someone can actually do, it's merely something one pretends to do so they'll look better to society at large?

I think the point is that it's more like "I think Nazis are bad, why can't everyone be good like me and agree that Nazis are bad?"

As if you're going to find a lot of people who go "yey Hate, I can't wait to wake up in the morning so I can hate some more". And as if most people don't already assume that everyone (even if they are filled with hate) would agree that hate isn't a good emotion and should be avoided.

Weird, I was thinking the same thing yesterday driving behind an anti-abortion bumper sticker and it somewhat became a topic of discussion at work. Most people dont want un-solicited opinions shoved down their throats no matter what side of an argument. If i want your opinion I'll ask it. Dont scream it at me either verbally or in a sticker format.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I think the point is that it's more like "I think Nazis are bad, why can't everyone be good like me and agree that Nazis are bad?"

As if you're going to find a lot of people who go "yey Hate, I can't wait to wake up in the morning so I can hate some more". And as if most people don't already assume that everyone (even if they are filled with hate) would agree that hate isn't a good emotion and should be avoided.

Well saying Nazi's are useless trash that shouldn't exist used to go without saying. Now we have lawn ornament rallies with them marching around and running people over with cars.

Relativ9

No it’s not. The bold text is literally something you imagined LOL

I made it up, if that's what you mean? I do believe that's allowed when making an analogy.

When meeting new people I generally don't think "I like this person, he seems reasonable, but darn, if only I knew here he stood on the issue of hate. Is he pro hate or anti hate?"

Saying that such a sign is in any way valuable seems disingenuous to me. Could be just me though.

I made it up, if that's what you mean? I do believe that's allowed when making an analogy.

When meeting new people I generally don't think "I like this person, he seems reasonable, but darn, if only I knew here he stood on the issue of hate. Is he pro hate or anti hate?"

Saying that such a sign is in any way valuable seems disingenuous to me. Could be just me though.

People are cool until the views come out of the wood work, and then when you find out you're like "man, what the fuck". This is skipping all of that, and letting you know that he doesn't get down with the standard forms of hate. In this political climate especially, it's not surprising.

Its like those "you are safe here" signs that businesses put up in Seattle and all that they entail. Same inspiration.

It's not about value.

Ombra

Huh, thought this was going to be an expression about the current temperature of this forum, particularly OT lately..

Have one of these in my yard.
My 2 year old tried taking one from our neighbors so we got one ourselves.
Glad to have it.

What's the opposite of virtue signaling? This thread.

Just as onboxious as VS but even more smug in its above-it-all nonsense.

This thread is trash.

Unfortunate.

Thought this was another thread about the new state of GAF

Yeah I read the title as "Hate Has Has No Home Here (as in Gaf)"

sad that I would think that

As did I, as did I.

Sucks that this forum has gone to such shit. Nothing really enjoyable about posting here anymore so I’ve pretty much stopped.

People are cool until the views come out of the wood work, and then when you find out you're like "man, what the fuck". This is skipping all of that, and letting you know that he doesn't get down with the standard forms of hate. In this political climate especially, it's not surprising.

Its like those "you are safe here" signs that businesses put up in Seattle and all that they entail. Same inspiration.

It's not about value.

Yaw'll are the only reason I'm still here. You guys remind me this place isn't totally dead. I too thought the title was about neogaf.

I scoffed at those who made the exodus to the other site claiming neogaf was now something else..I was trying hard to try to keep things familiar..but damn if I'm not seeing truth in their fears.

I deserved my banning but watching from the outside all these days and seeing some troubling mod decisions makes me feel like neogaf is in an awful downward spiral.

Only on GAF (old and new) is mild criticism conflated with hate.

I was just about to type this.

Like this isn't even about the message. I said that in the first few sentences. I'm all about love over hate. It's about a completely different argument than people are extracting from this thread. And I'm not sure how I can make that any more clear to those that are having a problem understanding it.

Also, saying that this is in itself virtue signaling is nuts. This wasn't meant to express my good character. This was intended to question a form of expression and whether or not it's effective or self-serving and isolating.

CMfpZ5x.gif

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Indeed. For example, people who hate the Klan are really just as bad as the Klan if you think about it. The best place to be is in the middle ground where you realize both sides have valid viewpoints.

What valid viewpoints does the Klan offer? Come on now.

Neff

Indeed. For example, people who hate the Klan are really just as bad as the Klan if you think about it. The best place to be is in the middle ground where you realize both sides have valid viewpoints.

I see what you're doing, and it's dumb, but hate is rarely productive, no matter where it's targeted. Hatred of 'good' things and hatred of 'bad' things is subjective, biologically speaking it's the same primitive chemical reaction in every person. People are born thinking 'good' things are 'bad' and vice versa. Hate clouds judgement, hastens impulsiveness, and generally makes people do things they or others regret.

Patience, understanding, wisdom, compassion and communication are how the human race flourishes, not by hating.

But I shouldn't have to tell you this.

I chortled.

Dude Abides

Banned
I see what you're doing, and it's dumb, but hate is rarely productive, no matter where it's targeted. Hatred of 'good' things and hatred of 'bad' things is subjective, biologically speaking it's the same primitive chemical reaction in every person. People are born thinking 'good' things are 'bad' and vice versa. Hate clouds judgement, hastens impulsiveness, and generally makes people do things they or others regret.

Patience, understanding, wisdom, compassion and communication are how the human race flourishes, not by hating.

I chortled.

“Biologically speaking.” Give me a fucking break. Dressing your treacly Yoda-speak pablum in nonsense about biology makes it even more stupid, not less. Save your deep insights about how hate is bad and we all should just get along for a Hallmark card where they belong.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I personally think they're fine if they aren't projecting any agendas.

Stuff like
il_340x270.1400035427_qj55.jpg
are fine.

Just be glad there aren't signatures on forums these days OP lol

I chortled.

48b.jpg

please stop punishing us with your posts

we don't deserve this

Neff

”Biologically speaking." Give me a fucking break. Dressing your treacly Yoda-speak pablum in nonsense about biology makes it even more stupid, not less. Save your deep insights about how hate is bad and we all should just get along for a Hallmark card where they belong.

Here's the thing. Hate feels good. It's delicious. It's a negative emotion, but it's an emotion nonetheless, and a common one, and it makes people feel alive. And in lieu of genuine joy, people jump at the chance of a quick taste in all its destructive forms. But when you hate, that's all you're doing.

To preach the notion that hate towards human beings is a solution, or a good idea in general, implies that people are irredeemably evil, and can't learn or change, and aren't worth attempting to educate or change. That's fucked up. But go ahead.

Top Bottom