• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Temple Run 2 (iOS) releasing today/tomorrow, gameplay video

grabbed this on day 1, never played it til today. temple run ---> brave ---> this.

its addictive for sure. Like the old games and they added just enough to keep it fresh. The gem stuff;initially I was like this is IAP bullshit but then you can get them easily enough.

Nice visuals, no popins. I don't like how some things now you can only (jump or slide under) instead of being able to do both. The upgrade of visuals comes with their success and no doubt ability to hire better staff / better specced phones.

I like that there's slidin down the rope + mine carts while keeping the essense of TR very much whole

Music isn't as good as 1. It was just perfect in 1. And not loud enough on the headphones. In fact, with the headphones on, the audio is kind of fucked

I'm guesing everyone else is discussing this elsewhere?

addictive and fun :) 1 more go.

Moff

feels more like a very overhauled version of part 1 than a real sequel. but its very good anyway.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wasn't thrilled with it at first, but it's growing on me. Seems like there's more ways of powering up your powerups which is a good carrot on the stick for me.

I wasn't thrilled with it at first, but it's growing on me. Seems like there's more ways of powering up your powerups which is a good carrot on the stick for me.

Why are you playing, what's your ultimate goal?

I ask because for me, Temple Run was always about getting higher and higher scores and going past one friend more on the leaderboard thanks to a new power-up/multiplier you earned. Since now the only way to get high scores is to literally pay for them, I'm just curious as to why people are bothering. Isn't the whole thing just entirely meaningless?

SmokyDave

Why are you playing, what's your ultimate goal?

I ask because for me, Temple Run was always about getting higher and higher scores and going past one friend more on the leaderboard thanks to a new power-up/multiplier you earned. Since now the only way to get high scores is to literally pay for them, I'm just curious as to why people are bothering. Isn't the whole thing just entirely meaningless?
Why did people play for high scores before the advent of online leaderboards? Because it's fun! It's the sense of progress, I reckon.

Grampasso

Got it on my S3 (is it ok to talk about it here?).
Well, I think the first one is much much better, it only has improved on graphic, no big deal.
In the first one you COULD get better, the generated levels rarely punished you with an unreasonable series of obstacles to overcome, unlike this one. You could die after the 2nd/3rd turn just because the level has generated a wall you need to jump just after the turn. What's the meaning of this? No matter how much you're good, you'll be screwed if the game decides so.
Powering everything up is a pain in the ass because it takes really a lot of coins. The soft turns (the ones you don't need to do because it's just the road curving) only serve to hide part of the visuals, forcing you to do a last-second slide to avoid obstacles/falling off.
In the cart sections often you have to gave up to the idea of collecting coins since if you have to lean for it you need to take into account that after a turn of the road there could be an intersection where you need to lean the opposite way, and there simply isn't enough time for the cart to get back on track and turn.
And even if you get better and manage to make a jump right after a turn you could incur in a bug (or at least I think it's a bug) where your character jumps and yet it falls dying (you can notice because basically your character jumps towads the left or the right in an awkward way).
So basically I think the game is crap, except graphic-wise.

My high is 12 million so far, and I'm on level 8.

Getting high scores is easier so far because of the instant Save Me feature instead of having to set up the angel wings beforehand. The weird thing is I feel like gems are getting more rare as I unlock more things; dunno if I'm imagining it.

While points are easier to get, coins are more difficult. The magnet doesn't double the value anymore, so of you're after points or distance, use the Boost power up and just keep using it whenever the meter fills up.

Top Bottom