• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physics Based Web Swinging is back in Spiderman 2

Just wanted to make a quick little write up about a new and somewhat hidden feature that was added to Spiderman 2.

I highly suggest that anytime you boot up a new game that you comb through the menus for a few minutes to see what options you have available for gameplay, HUD icon visibility and audio options in order to maximize your experience.

If I hadn't done this with this game I wouldn't have found out that there is an option under Gameplay Settings called Swing Steering Assistance.

It's maxed out at 10 by default but if you put it all the way to 0 then swinging through NYC becomes fully physics based.
You can now hit the ground if you start your web too low and even smack straight into walls.
It also becomes extremely difficult to change direction while in mid air.

Combine this with turning on the Fall Damage setting and you have something much more challenging to play around with.

Here is an example video that I made last night. Pay attention to how I'm now forced to use web zip maneuvers to change direction harshly and how the webs even bend convincingly now in this game.

Here's a bonus video for those interested. When playing the first game I realized that you could trigger the "Raimi" style one handed wing.

To do this, firstly make sure you have enough height as it causes you to fall dramatically, after releasing a web, tap R2 once and let go then quickly follow up with holding R2. Once you hit the bottom of your swing arch, don't jump off with X, simply release R2 and press and hold it again. It's all timing based so it may take a few tries. You'll see it around 30 second mark of the clip.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Thank GOD. This was my biggest complaint with the first game and MM. Spidey was too automated and it made the physics feel off and floaty.

Spider-Man taking fall damage is stupid as hell.
??

As opposed to him tanking a fall from a skyscrapper? He's Spider-man. Not Hulk. He should definitely take fall damage. Diving from the tallest buildings and landing on your feet in the first game felt ridiculous.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

Certinty

It's so much better on the lower settings.

I found 0 a little too hard as I kept hitting the ground often but 1 felt like the sweet spot where I could do everything I wanted without hitting the ground.

Gameplay wise especially with its traversal, this game is something else.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Thank GOD. This was my biggest complaint with the first game and MM. Spidey was too automated and it made the physics feel off and floaty.

??

As opposed to him tanking a fall from a skyscrapper? He's Spider-man. Not Hulk. He should definitely take fall damage. Diving from the tallest buildings and landing on your feet in the first game felt ridiculous.
Spider-Man fell form 80 stories building and didn't take fall damage. The terminal velocity of a human body falling and hitting the ground wouldn't even produce enough force to hurt him based on the damage he tanks. The asphalt or concrete he hits should be more worried than him.

And no, it's not ridiculous unless you know nothing about Spider-Man.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Spider-Man fell form 80 stories building and didn't take fall damage. The terminal velocity of a human body falling and hitting the ground wouldn't even produce enough force to hurt him based on the damage he tanks. The asphalt or concrete he hits should be more worried than him.
I've read tons of comics with him in free fall taking damage. There were even a few where it was played as a life or death situation as he figured out a way to stop the fall after running out of web fluid, or being dropped from the clouds by vulture, or a villain destroying his web shooters and tossing him off a building. Fall damage has always been a constant threat for Spidey in comics since his conception.

Last edited:

MirageMew2

It’s worth adding that fall damage rarely kills but it can definitely take chunks off your health. It contributes to suit damage too.

Now they need to take back the not dissolving web like the old Spiderman 2, loved seen these remaining everywhere.

There’s a lot of room for growth here, the swinging, slingshot, and loop de loop were all great additions.

Now let us street surf outside of QTEs and we’re golden.

6xKSUvT.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's great that they put this in, especially to address the old SM2 stans, but if they really felt like this was a better way to control the game, it should have been the way to control the game. Again, they pay designers to design the game.

FWIW I thought SM2018 felt great to navigate.

Last edited:

MirageMew2

It's great that they put this in, especially to address the old SM2 stans, but if they really felt like this was a better way to control the game, it should have been the way to control the game. Again, they pay designers to design the game.

FWIW I thought SM2018 felt great to navigate.

Personally it reminds me more of Mario Kart 8 DX defaulting to automatic steering. Easiest setting for the broadest appeal. Nothing wrong with it of course but minimum swing assist is chef’s kiss

MAX PAYMENT

The web wings are the fastest way to traverse through the map. Why would they they take that out when its cannon? The gliding in this game is better than in any Arkham Batman game, its not even close.
Hard disagree there. The arkham gliding is absolutely sick and feels incredibly weighty when smashing into people or through glass windows. Spiderman can essentially fly like superman through "wind tunnels" or whatever the hell they are.

It wasn't already like this in the first game they made?
No and it's mot like this in this game either. If you leave the assistance turned on to the max Spiderman will never hit the ground while you're holding the swing button. He'll always hover above it artificially.

MarkMe2525

The web wings are the fastest way to traverse through the map. Why would they they take that out when its cannon? The gliding in this game is better than in any Arkham Batman game, its not even close.
I collected Spiderman comics through my youth into young adulthood. Yes webwings are cannon, but they were not used often. Especially around the time that Peter receives his symbiote suit. It just isn't how he normally gets around a city.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I think they're just fine and if you don't like them, you don't need to press triangle.
Don't press triangle. Problem solved. You don't have to use them.
Batman has used a jetpack in his animated universe, but I think it would be odd, and against the spirit of the character, to have him flying around Gotham on one in his games. I just don't like it, no one is telling you that you can't. Problem solved

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Aaaaaaah you failed to demonstrate one of the most important thing for me.
You said we can hit the ground if we start our web too late/low and I wanted to see it in action to be sure there was not an automated animation to save Spidey.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Lol fall damage? That's idiotic, the man has taken hits that far exceed the force that terminal velocity could exert on him; heck he himself puts out much more force than that, and you know, every action has an equal and opposite reaction and all that.

Maybe if he was thrown down straight on his neck/head or something.

Crayon

Whoa. That sounds cool. I wont be getting to this game for a minute that that is intriguing. The swinging was always fun but I did find myself wanting for a little more to it.

Last edited:

Arachnid

I've heard the complaint that it kind of defeats the point of being Spidey. One reviewer noted that he barely found himself swinging all game because of the superior speed/utility of the gliding. He felt like it made the experience kind of feel off.

Gliding is Batmans thing. We should be primarily swinging in a Spidey game.

Yeah, I know. If you don't want to glide, don't glide. That said, I've never liked gimping myself in an effort to make a game more fun. I like to use the tools available to the best of my ability, and whats available should fit the experience IMO.

I like the ability to adjust this setting, good move on Insomniac. Those web wings though have to go. Idk why, but I really dont like them.
Agreed.

Last edited:
Aaaaaaah you failed to demonstrate one of the most important thing for me.
You said we can hit the ground if we start our web too late/low and I wanted to see it in action to be sure there was not an automated animation to save Spidey.
If you watch the second video I put in the post, you can see how low to the ground I get around the 30 second mark. If you're timing is off by a hair you'll hit the ground and do a barrel roll. It's both annoying and cool at the same time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's very nice, the swinging in the original was way too automated (although it still felt good).

But can you now hold onto a web indefinitely, or does he still automatically let go of it at the top of the swing arc?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
If you watch the second video I put in the post, you can see how low to the ground I get around the 30 second mark. If you're timing is off by a hair you'll hit the ground and do a barrel roll. It's both annoying and cool at the same time.
Indeed, that's nice! I never understood why they didn't do this with SM1 but at least it's here now.
Thx for the info, I'm eager to try it on PC.

Indeed, that's nice! I never understood why they didn't do this with SM1 but at least it's here now.
Thx for the info, I'm eager to try it on PC.
You're welcome. I will most likely double dip for sure on PC eventually. I'm hoping for someone to mod in Peter's original face haha.

That's very nice, the swinging in the original was way too automated (although it still felt good).

But can you now hold onto a web indefinitely, or does he still automatically let go of it at the top of the swing arc?
You can hold on indefinitely. If you look at that second clip I posted, I dive down and swing on the chruch steeple, well if you hold onto the web and slow yourself down a bit while pulling down on the left stick you can infinitely swing around the steeple. Unfortunately there is a limitation to how they render the web and it doesn't get shorter the more you loop around, but it's a decent alternative at least.

MAX PAYMENT

You can hold on indefinitely. If you look at that second clip I posted, I dive down and swing on the chruch steeple, well if you hold onto the web and slow yourself down a bit while pulling down on the left stick you can infinitely swing around the steeple. Unfortunately there is a limitation to how they render the web and it doesn't get shorter the more you loop around, but it's a decent alternative at least.
You have to be going slow enough to hold on for longer periods of time. You cannot, however. Hold on and release as you want to pull tight corners by the webs connecting to building corners midway through the line.

Garibaldi

Yeah, I found anything over 4 is too automatic. I tried 0 when first starting out but it was too erratic. Recently dropped it from 2 back to 0 but I don't like it still. 1 seems like my zone now though. It's pretty sweet. Especially when coupled with the wall corner zip line perk/skill.

MAX PAYMENT

Yeah, I found anything over 4 is too automatic. I tried 0 when first starting out but it was too erratic. Recently dropped it from 2 back to 0 but I don't like it still. 1 seems like my zone now though. It's pretty sweet. Especially when coupled with the wall corner zip line perk/skill.
1 works best for me as well. I don't think 0 works well at all because you can't anticipate how much the web will stretch on a swing and you'll inadvertently hit the ground or a rooftop and kill all momentum.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You're welcome. I will most likely double dip for sure on PC eventually. I'm hoping for someone to mod in Peter's original face haha.
Ah yeah I feel you with this. I still have the physical version of SM1 (and the limited edition PS4 Pro :messenger_beaming: ) and I think Peter was a lot better with his old face. It grounded him more than the "hey look, I'm the poor man's Tom Holland" resemblance.

Top Bottom