• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Monkeys | Unmake History - Fridays on Syfy |OT|

Geist-

Just binged Wynonna Earp with a friend and actually really liked it. Saw a bunch of commercials for 12 Monkeys. The movie is on my favorites list (dat Brad Pitt yo), but the dialogue in the commercials was so bad it is scaring me off... Do I give it a shot?

Yes, definitely. It's up there with The Expanse as one of my favorite new SyFy shows.

Yes, definitely. It's up there with The Expanse as one of my favorite new SyFy shows.
I concur. This and The Expanse are awesome. I recently started watching the first season of Dark Matter and I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would. Syfy has been killing it. The Magicians was really great too.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Awesome! I really thought this would be the last season as it seems like the story's being wrapped up. I wonder where they go from here.

Right? The stakes this season are basically to prevent time from being destroyed. How do you top that?

Found an interview
and it looks like the showrunner has the ending and major arcs mapped out; says he needs four seasons to wrap up the story.
We need four seasons to tell the whole story. It gets more emotional as we go along; each season is more emotional than the last. There’s some pretty amazing stuff lined up for season three that I hope we get to do.

Just binged Wynonna Earp with a friend and actually really liked it. Saw a bunch of commercials for 12 Monkeys. The movie is on my favorites list (dat Brad Pitt yo), but the dialogue in the commercials was so bad it is scaring me off... Do I give it a shot?

The dialogue can be hit or miss, like a lot of shows on Syfy, but the story is top notch. If you're a fan of time travel stories you'll love this. It differs a lot from the movie and the finale in the first season has a very clear moment where they show that difference Second season is a lot of fun and vastly superior to the first. Honestly, if Game of Thrones hadn't ramped up the crazy this season, then this show would be the one I looked forward to the most each week. But I also really like time travel stories.

The dialogue can be hit or miss, like a lot of shows on Syfy, but the story is top notch. If you're a fan of time travel stories you'll love this. It differs a lot from the movie and the finale in the first season has a very clear moment where they show that difference Second season is a lot of fun and vastly superior to the first. Honestly, if Game of Thrones hadn't ramped up the crazy this season, then this show would be the one I looked forward to the most each week. But I also really like time travel stories.

Cool beans! I'll give it a test run this weekend.

-Deimos

Nice, this show deserves it.

I feel like I should dislike Ramse after all the shit he's pulled but I just can't, Kirk Acevedo is too damn charismatic.

I don't think I've ever not liked his character in anything he's done. In Fringe
I was devastated when his character died (and loved when he came back in the alternate universe).

That episode might have been the best of the series. This show is so damn underrated, it really needs a bigger following.

Ramse is such a piece of shit but he's worth having Kirk on the show.

Setzer

Just finished watching Monday's episode! This season just continues to deliver. I wish I could watch this show live to do my part with the ratings. Its really a tragedy that this show continues to do poorly in the ratings but I'm thrilled it got renewed for season 3!

liquidtmd

Banned
The dialogue out of context in commercials can seem a bit hokey, but as part of the episodes it just works.

Cast and crew on fire on what I imagine is small budget. Great episode on Monday, bring on Season 3

mm04

Nice, this show deserves it.

Ramse is such a piece of shit but he's worth having Kirk on the show.

He always pulls me back from not totally hating him when he has those bro moments with Cole.

Jennifer is my favorite character, though. Love her.

Double D

Skimming over the last couple of pages I guess I'll start watching season 2 in earnest. I enjoyed the first season, but then I tried to watch the first episode of season 2 when it aired and I just found myself confused and uninterested. Looks like I should stick with it.

Shanlei91

Jennifer is my favorite character, though. Love her.

She's really the best.

RLmXaXB.gif

Also really liked how this scene messed with the cliche of the inspirational speech.

lOiwF75.gif

Seriously!?? JUST TELL US WHO IT IS!

That whole scene was a bit rough and the only one that has pulled me out of the show a bit. The way Ramse and crew approached and what they faced. Cassie's disregard to the realization that dawned on her. The teaser being dangled in front of the audience with no payoff of any sort.

If this were the season finale, which it thankfully wasn't, it would be right at home in the Walking Dead writers room.

The finale has one helluva wall now to get over.

Shanlei91

That whole scene was a bit rough and the only one that has pulled me out of the show a bit. The way Ramse and crew approached and what they faced. Cassie's disregard to the realization that dawned on her. The teaser being dangled in front of the audience with no payoff of any sort.

If this were the season finale, which it thankfully wasn't, it would be right at home in the Walking Dead writers room.

The finale has one helluva wall now to get over.

This is exactly what I thought. Haha

Possibly the worst scene of the series. The show usually is much smarter than that.

mm04

Frick, that ending. Thank goodness there's another episode left (and it's been renewed). I was happy that Cole and Cassie hooked up, but while simultaneously watching Ramse and the Titan attack crew get shanked to death...it felt like an L. Anyway, I'm looking forward to how they time travel their way outa this.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Wish they would just reveal who the witness is already. Feels like it has to be Cole or Cassie at this point, but I'm sure they're doing that just so they can do some dumb twist by revealing it's someone else.

That preview for the finale has me hyped for next week.

Preview spoilers:
Madeline Stowe is on the show!

Shanlei91

Wish they would just reveal who the witness is already. Feels like it has to be Cole or Cassie at this point, but I'm sure they're doing that just so they can do some dumb twist by revealing it's someone else.

That preview for the finale has me hyped for next week.

Preview spoilers:
Madeline Stowe is on the show!

If it's anyone other than Cole, Cassie or a child of theirs who was created during their sexy montage, then the reveal will be really awful.

Awesome episode, but the hell was that ending? I still don't know who the witness could be. I thought it might be Cole, but I don't think he would kill them like that. I definitely don't think it's Ramse's son. Maybe Cole and Cassie had a kid or something? Or the daughters and Jennifer are those people in the robes? I hope next week delivers.

liquidtmd

Banned
Next week's episode, you got some 'splaining to do!!

Solid and watchable as ever. The crew did indeed go down a bit too easy with the Witness but...hoping they can pull something out the bag.

Most logical choice for the Witness now surely is a Cassie / Cole child

When RE5 PS4 was a no go at Best Buy, I figured I'd try and find a Blu-ray of the first season of 12 Monkeys. Unfortunately that was another dead end, but I did find a copy of the film.

I have never seen it, so it'll be something to go in after having had nearly two seasons of Emily Hampshire and Kirk Acevedo to set the bar.

Shanlei91

When RE5 PS4 was a no go at Best Buy, I figured I'd try and fight a Blu-ray of the first season of 12 Monkeys. Unfortunately that was another dead end, but I did find a copy of the film.

I have never seen it, so it'll be something to go in after having had nearly two seasons of Emily Hampshire and Kirk Acevedo to set the bar.

You're in for a treat. The tone is very different and it's less focused on time travel but the movie is legit very well made. It's fun to compare it to season 1 and having seen it adds more weight to the season 1 finale and the show's concept of "cycles".

I thought I posted in here this morning... o_O

If it's anyone other than Cole, Cassie or a child of theirs who was created during their sexy montage, then the reveal will be really awful.

I'm guessing this seems most likely now (had expected another version of Cole) though I'm still not completely ruling out Ramse's kid either.

Geist-

Before this episode I thought it was Ramsey's kid. I still think it could be, but at this point it's almost definitely one of the main cast.
Probably Cole.

spock

Great to see Gaf giving this show love. It seems like its Cole, but could be one of the other major figures. I also think its possible that those that killed Ramsey and crew may be Ramsey and crew killing themselves. Not sure why, just seemed like something they might do but wonder how the story would work.

liquidtmd

Banned
When RE5 PS4 was a no go at Best Buy, I figured I'd try and find a Blu-ray of the first season of 12 Monkeys. Unfortunately that was another dead end, but I did find a copy of the film.

You're in for a good time in terms of unpicking the many, many subtle references the tv show makes to the movie beyond the obvious ones.

Lines of dialogue especially.

Cole being the witness would be such an awesome twist. Having the protagonist turn into the guy they've been trying to stop due to whatever circumstances all along.
I really really want them to go there.

Shanlei91

Cole being the witness would be such an awesome twist. Having the protagonist turn into the guy they've been trying to stop due to whatever circumstances all along.
I really really want them to go there.

Then the season 3 mutiny episode will be about half the group wanting to kill good Cole.

Then the season 3 mutiny episode will be about half the group wanting to kill good Cole.

What if what the witness is trying to do is actually a good thing and the people trying to stop it simply don't understand and assume it's bad? The witness is good Cole

Potential major spoiler (but not all that suprising) from a goof in the below article 'What we want to see from Season 2 finale'

www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/1695...answered-in-the-12-monkeys-season-finale.htm#

They write it from the perspective theyve not seen the finale and want 'answers' from the Season 2 finale but there's a major 'errm thats not been confirmed yet' in their first 'question' for those that don't mind speculating.

Jeez. Not the big answer but something none the less.

I hope it is Cole, great twist. just wonder what season three will be dealing with, pretty tough to get bigger than collapsing time.no aliens please, not that they are bigger than time itself.

Great finale so far. Jennifer still the best character on TV. That
Braveheart(?) speech
was great.

Edit: Fuck that whole last 10-15 minutes.

Killthee

Not sure what to think about the finale. Don't really care for the direction they're taking the series in, but I'm hoping they can pull it off and next season is stronger than this one.

Great finale so far. Jennifer still the best character on TV. That
Braveheart(?) speech
was great.

Edit: Fuck that whole last 10-15 minutes.
That Lord of the Rings/Braveheart/Independece Day speech was the highlight of the episode and the Bill and Ted quote was the cherry on top.

Killthee

So how exactly can the baby be there when that Cassie is not even pregnant, or am I missing something?
She is pregnant, the red forest has somehow allowed both Cassie and Cole to retain their memories of the deleted timeline and apparently their baby as well. Maybe this is the reason the 12 monkeys gave her the red forest tea, so she and her baby would be untethered from time. Maybe this is the reason the Witness is obsessed with collapsing time and only appears after drinking the tea, cause hes only able to exists outside of time.

Yeah Jennifer's pulling quotes from movie speeches was funny but I lost it with the Bill and Ted quote.

And yup turned out to be their kid as expected after last week. I'll hold off and wait and see where they go with it next year.

saunderez

Cole's "Saving your ass takes time" retort to Ramse may be the greatest piece of writing for this entire series. Fucking perfect.

She is pregnant, the red forest has somehow allowed both Cassie and Cole to retain their memories of the deleted timeline and apparently their baby as well. Maybe this is the reason the 12 monkeys gave her the red forest tea, so she and her baby would be untethered from time. Maybe this is the reason the Witness is obsessed with collapsing time and only appears after drinking the tea, cause hes only able to exists outside of time.
Oh, that's it then. I didn't realize Cassie was the same. But that's still weird because I thought only their consciousness is supposed to be untethered. Guess I've misunderstood some things.

mm04

Cole's "Saving your ass takes time" retort to Ramse may be the greatest piece of writing for this entire series. Fucking perfect.

Yeah, that was a great line. Jennifer's combo movie speech was funny as well. And Madeline Stowe outa nowhere. I really enjoyed this season. So glad we're getting another one.

Just binged watch through the entire season 2, think I will do the same for season 3. The slow pacing and dead ends in the early episodes don't feel as bad when you just fly through 13 episodes. The last 3 episodes especially were insanely badass.

I really thought Cole was The Witness and he turned evil because Cassie/babby get killed and he pulls a Ramse to bring them back, kinda disappointing to get yet another magic baby story for next season.

Still, a very enjoyable show especially all the time travel stuff. Season 1 is definitely the best and tightest as far as time travel goes though, I thought season 2 was a lot weaker in that regard especially the whole "why would events in the past require you to wait X hours or days to trigger events in the future". You do something in the past, bam, the future is instantly altered no need to constantly recheck newspaper ads and stuff.

Titan was pretty awesome. Weird as hell and why the bird men all play dress up is probably going to be pretty dumb, but a fun ride to be on.

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished Season 2. Thought S1 was kinda of dumb at parts, but fairly good and if Ramsey had been the witness the entire season would've been a nice standalone mini-series and wrapped up well. But then they pulled the last ep and therefore S2.

S2 started off kinda good, Ramsey being alive was the break in the cycle and him and Cole together would be able to rewrite history because of it, and they do by stopping the virus in 2016.

Then S2 became this increeeeeeedibly dumb story about time-travelers having to out time travel the time traveling assassin's to stop paradoxes and the destruction of time. While the show is often well directed & acted, so it's entertaining to watch, that plotline was pretty nonsensical and basically killed my interest in the show.

The high point of it all was the 1940s/50s/70s time period pieces with the characters. Those were fun and seeing them out of time like with the FBI guy was neat. 2044 is so boring in comparison.

The final ep of S2 was kind of nice again, at least the first 1/2. Like how I would've been happy if the end of S1 had Ramsey as the witness, it seemed like it was heading towards the Cole was the witness twist, and as others said in the thread that would've been kind of interesting, that by drinking the red time tea he gained the power to time travel without the machine and thus become the time traveling witness and something makes him break. But then all the Titan stuff and 2163 stuff and 3rd faction stuff and witness is magical out of time baby stuff was all fairly junky again. Not sure if I'm going to check out S3 or just check out the episode summaries.

I hope at some point the writers/producers finalize an "endgame" because as I posted after the end of S1, the problem with a time travel loop TV series is that if the show gets cancelled, the loop doesn't close and the whole thing is fairly unsatisfying. Would be nice if S3 is the finale season and they tie everything up. The show doesn't feel like it can keep going on and on for seasons.

Top Bottom