• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Type_Raver

Not too surprised to be honest, though I still though the Vega 56 would just outperform the 1060 @1080p.
However it does stretch its legs at higher resolutions and holds its own.

S8sj8C.jpg

borges

Banned
Today I had the chance to play a bit of PCars 2 on a PS4 Pro. Driving is much better than 1, but man... graphics. Graphics are not good. Compared to GTS and Forza 7 is a couple of steps behind. Rainy looks very cheap. Textures are... basic? non detailed?
Also, I dont know how is named, that effect that all of a sudden an object on the screen gets more detailed unnaturally.
I was expecting something better TBH.

Today I had the chance to play a bit of PCars 2 on a PS4 Pro. Driving is much better than 1, but man... graphics. Graphics are not good. Compared to GTS and Forza 7 is a couple of steps behind. Rainy looks very cheap. Textures are... basic? non detailed?
Also, I dont know how is named, that effect that all of a sudden an object on the screen gets more detailed unnaturally.
I was expecting something better TBH.
Graphically worse than PC1? Or just not the upgrade you expected with the sequel?

TJP

Hearing Ian Bell talk on this stream, he sounds like an arsehole. But at the same time, its refreshing to have a brutally honest and brash person as a CEO.
His views on piracy were interesting. Ian stated he pirates both games and movies as it's borrowing? Does this mean we should pirate pCARS 2?

I kid of course but Ian should lay off the drink before jumping online.

Mascot

His views on piracy were interesting. Ian stated he pirates both games and movies as it's borrowing? Does this mean we should pirate pCARS 2?

I kid of course but Ian should lay off the drink before jumping online.

I heard him mention movies (which he said he does as some kind of protest to get them at the same time as the rest of the world, and always buys them afterwards out of guilt) but didn't catch him saying the same about games. Might have missed that, I had a call during the stream.

TJP

I heard him mention movies (which he said he does as some kind of protest to get them at the same time as the rest of the world, and always buys them afterwards out of guilt) but didn't catch him saying the same about games. Might have missed that, I had a call during the stream.
He said games and movies :)

I'm discussing the live steam elsewhere and people are talking about it as I type here.

Mascot

Has Ian Bell said anything about releasing a demo? Would like to try out gamepad handling on consoles vs. listening to varying opinions on controller improvements.

They stated a while ago that there would be no demo. Are you on PC? Use Steam's two-hour refund option if you don't like it.

He said games and movies :)

I'm discussing the live steam elsewhere and people are talking about it as I type here.

Wow, I definitely missed that then. Might have another listen. You don't have a time stamp do you? The whole thing is now on YouTube (the start was missing yesterday), Bell starts just after two hours in.

I expect some fall-out from this Q&A. He said some controversial stuff alright.

TJP

Wow, I definitely missed that then. Might have another listen. You don't have a time stamp do you? The whole thing is now on YouTube (the start was missing yesterday), Bell starts just after two hours in.
Sorry I don't.

There is no way in hell I'm listening to that again. Did you hear him talking about dildos as well?

Mascot

I forgot the comment about paying for a 'massage' by fit women in Australia.

No wonder other people at SMS called and told him to shut up.

...and I'm glad he ignored them..! :p

I find his frankness refreshing, and a lot better than the robotic on-rails corporate message you get from Kaz or Greenawalt, when those two ever deem to grace us with their presence. That's the freedom you get being rich and independent, I guess. Although I bet BN had some concerns about the content.

I think he's a little misunderstood as well. He alluded to it in the stream, that people don't know (or choose to ignore) when he's joking.

danowat

Banned
I'm at work so can't watch this at the moment... anyone care to give a summary?

I'm just about to start, so I will in a bit.

Edit:

Physics are very good, they feel it's similar to RF2, happy with the tyre physics, can feel tyre wall flex and edge of grip now.
Sounds are far better than PC1
Graphics are better, especially during rain.
Livetrack 3.0 works really well, and adds a whole new element to the driving.
Career mode is solid, improved over PC1, but some of the progression steps are questionable (personal preference)
AI is better, significant improvement, but not perfect, first corner is an issue, but improve after that
Tracks are good, and there is a good selection
Racing rules are lacking, Formula A missing DRS rules
RX races are single heats
Oval racing starts are wrong at Indy and there are no yellow flags in oval racing
One of the biggest issue is the racing is jack of all trades, master of none, due to missing features in those series

In other news, I tried the FM7 demo, and really don't like what they've done with the physics, it doesn't feel like Forza anymore, it feels like a cross between GRID 1 and NFS, it just feels odd.......

So I preordered PC2........

Klocker

I'm at work so can't watch this at the moment... anyone care to give a summary?

he did a list at the end...

quick summary

improved physics
improved graphics and performance
FFB has been improved and simplified
live track 3 works well dynamic tracks
RX and ice race Fun
race engineer helps learn set ups
new tracks are a blast
solid multiple display support
career mode improved
full fledged racing title

also said...
sound was much improved,
has a few bugs yet
solid improvement over PCrs1
multiclass racing is great
vr racing was good but said may be a bug with camera movement being a bit much even at zero
can control menus with vr headset on
new tire model feels good right up to the edge

indy and nascar lacking racing details, features from the sport
Ai can be erratic especially at start

if you like endurance racing then he fully recommends getting this absolutely

he recommends, says more enjoyable and he is having a blast

Leeroy605

Just preordered this.

Recently gone from a G29 to a T300 wheel, plus Oculus Rift and bass transducer setup and itching for a new game to use it all with.

VR support from the ground up and the sheer breadth of cars/tracks/disciplines in the base game is a massive plus for me, alongside the supposedly improved force feedback.

Have Pcars 1 and played it for a few hours last month, could never get fully into it with this so close on the horizon and did not gel with the feeling through the wheel.

Bugs I can deal with, hopefully they get sorted sooner rather than later.

danowat

Banned
I did a bad thing..........

I preordered the Carlos Fandango deluxe edition

I am to blame for the downfall of the gaming industry :-(

My PS4 copy turns up tomorrow, just had the dispatch email.
Curious to how it compares to the 1st one, especially with how I feel about it.

fresquito

After trying Forza 7 demo, I can say I like PC2 gamepad better. Not only because physics make sense to me, but also because I find them more lively. Like in Forza demo, controls seem to go through so many filters before something happens in the car. I guess you could say PC2 gamepad controls are more dificult, but I think it is for the good reasons.

Recently gone from a G29 to a T300 wheel, plus Oculus Rift and bass transducer setup and itching for a new game to use it all with.

Nice. Can you share any pics? Like seeing folks setups. Especially with tranducers as I'm curious how folks set theirs up. The only thing I'm not 100% on is my the shifter I added to my Playseat Challange. I used some RAM mounts, but it will move under enough pressure. Need to figure out how to make it semi permanent and more solid, yet replaceable down the road.

Mascot

Nice. Can you share any pics? Like seeing folks setups. Especially with tranducers as I'm curious how folks set theirs up. The only thing I'm not 100% on is my the shifter I added to my Playseat Challange. I used some RAM mounts, but it will move under enough pressure. Need to figure out how to make it semi permanent and more solid, yet replaceable down the road.

I've got a single Buttkicker under my rig and I've always loved the rumble it adds. If the shift sounds are good enough you can also feel a nice jolt when changing gear. It adds a lot to VR immersion too, I find.

danowat

Banned
I've pre-ordered on steam, but nothing yet. Don't think it'll start before Friday or it would have started already. It'll be 50gigs on hdd, don't know the actual download size though.

My PS4 preload was 17GB, not sure if that holds any bearing on what the PC version will be, seemed small to me.

Leeroy605

Will take some pics next time I am home, no problem.

We have very similar setups actually! Got a Playseat challenge with a RAM mount for the shifter. Has a little bit of play in it but if you do it up really really tight it actually works well. Had to drill out the holes on it though to mount my TH8A.

As for the transducer, I originally went down the DIY method and bought a transducer, amp and all the cables and piping to mount it to the Playseat Challenge but found a much cleaner solution in the Gametrix KW-908 Jetseat:

https://www.gametrix.eu/products/gametrix-kw-908-jetseat-turbojet?variant=50912207684

Fits on the challenge nicely while still allowing it to fold away, only uses one USB and one power cable for everything, and a guy called Andre makes an amazing piece of paid software with specialized support for all main PC racing sims (PCARS 2 included).

https://andres.shop/software/21-simshaker-wheels.html

Love mine, really increases immersion, especially with the rift!

KdotIX

Are those Playseat Challenge seats any good? I'm yet to purchase a racing seat and I was set on the Playseat Evolution. But I'm now wondering if the Challenge is a worthy purchase? Considering that I'm 6ft 3in and weigh about 110kg, the Challenge looks as though it would snap if I sat in it. Can you also mount some T3PA Pro pedals to it?

Mascot

My PS4 preload was 17GB, not sure if that holds any bearing on what the PC version will be, seemed small to me.

Depending how efficient SMS's new third-party compression software is, that might unpack closer to 100GB..! :p

(I heard it needed around 47GB unpacked, I think)

Mascot

Which NeoGAF mod is the most sim-savvy one? I want to ask about starting a pCARS 2 vs FM7 vs GTS free-fire zone thread where alliances can be forged and insults can be traded freely with reduced risk from the banhammer. And in an attempt to corral all the shitposting, of course.

Bish is de-modded.

Pepto

Banned
I want to ask about starting a pCARS 2 vs FM7 vs GTS free-fire zone thread where alliances can be forged and insults can be traded freely with reduced risk from the banhammer.

Why though? Seems like there's only two actual contenders and one of them just dropped a kinda bad demo.

cooldawn

My pre-order has been dispatched so there's no turning back but I'm a bit worried about conflicting handling reports and issues with presentation. Performance seems to be acceptable.

Thing is, since the last patch, I've been engrossed in Assetto Corsa. Finding it's brilliant so this now has a lot to live up to. I know this will knock it out of the park content wise so I just hope the rest isn't all as bad as it seems.

Leeroy605

Are those Playseat Challenge seats any good? I'm yet to purchase a racing seat and I was set on the Playseat Evolution. But I'm now wondering if the Challenge is a worthy purchase? Considering that I'm 6ft 3in and weigh about 110kg, the Challenge looks as though it would snap if I sat in it. Can you also mount some T3PA Pro pedals to it?

I love my challenge, it's completrly stable when you're in it and has plenty of adjustability.

I'm 6ft 3 myself and it fits me well, however I'm a bit lighter than you at 85kg so not sure about the weight. However wouldn't think an extra 25kg would be a problem with how it feels with me in it.

T3PA pro pedals should be fine with it, you may not be able to fold up the pedals but the pedal mount is detachable so could just detach it and fold the rest of the seat as usual and store the pedals separately.

As for the transducer, I originally went down the DIY method and bought a transducer, amp and all the cables and piping to mount it to the Playseat Challenge but found a much cleaner solution in the Gametrix KW-908 Jetseat:

https://www.gametrix.eu/products/gametrix-kw-908-jetseat-turbojet?variant=50912207684

Love mine, really increases immersion, especially with the rift!

Nice. Would like to see pics for sure. Never even seen that product or software when I was doing research months ago. I ended up going the DYI route myself by attaching a wood board to the legs of the Playseat challenge and then the tranducers. I use a guitar cord to connect to an amp that is attached under my desk when in use. Very happy with it and agree it adds a ton of immersion (especially in VR). Tried turning it off mid race and the difference was crazy.

I've got a single Buttkicker under my rig and I've always loved the rumble it adds. If the shift sounds are good enough you can also feel a nice jolt when changing gear. It adds a lot to VR immersion too, I find.

Nice, completely agree on the immersion it adds. One of the best VR experiences you can have is racing in a VR rig and a great way to demonstrate VR to people.

Great trailer. Talk about getting me hyped. Despite the reported bugs I'm very excited about getting my hands on this game.

I can't compare it to the stationary seats (never had one), but the Playseat Challange works great. It also can be folded up easily and quickly if space is a concern or if you don't want it out all of time. You'd have to check their site for weight constrictions (I probably weigh around 210 lbs). I was concerned with this as well given the design, but It's built to take some weight for sure. The pedal holder should take any of the pedals with it's universal design and also extends for short or tall people. I've had it for maybe 8 months and have no regrets.

Preordered the Deluxe Edition, (Ian teasing the
classic Le Mans circuit and period-specific cars
was all I needed to hear to opt for the season pass), and now I'm giddily anticipating the digital unlock tomorrow night. First order of business will be to take the 488 GTE 'round the Daytona 24-hr circuit; after that, I'll be a kid in a candy store.

With all of its contemporary FIA WEC, IMSA WeatherTech and Pirelli World Challenge content, this game feels tailor-made for replicating the series I watch on a given weekend, yet the wonderful thing, of course, is that fans of a half-dozen other racing disciplines could say much the same.

I really cannot applaud SMS enough for their unwavering focus on motorsport, and hope the game receives all the sucess it deserves.

Top Bottom