• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the last time we got
a string of townie
episodes like this? That was back in season 3, and it was immediately followed with the entire Monster Reunion / Alone at Sea / Crack the Whip / Steven vs. Amethyst / Bismuth / four-part finale lineup. I'm willing to endure Ronaldo gaslighting Steven and the Gems dragging his unconscious body back to the restaurant for now because I know things probably aren't very far away from getting heavy.

Also: That Will Be All / the general Out of This World bomb had an insane amount of stuff going on, to the point that we got a Rebecca Sugar episode featuring two diamonds, lord knows how many new "named" Gems, the whole bubbled Rose Quartz bomb and a musical number by a diamond. The only reason it's feeling kinda weird now is that we happened to get that entire bomb a month early, and it makes sense that it would have a few breather episodes following it.

I can't believe you've done this.

You shall suffer a life without SU blurays!
eevl.gif

We have yet another episode title and an air date of March 23, which means the show is moving back to Thursdays (at least for this episode).

Let's take a look at this title, shall we? Hopefully it's an important epis-

Title:
Lion 4: Alternate Ending

HOLY SHIT

REV UP THAT HYPE

Tizoc

They are a type of Quartz (along with Agates, etc) so you could say they are related in that regard and apparently they provide a similar purpose in the Gem hierarchy (being high ranking soldiers/warriors).

Also the familial aspects in that scene comes from those gems being born in the same location.
Thanks for the info
Gotta say the rescue not being so action centric was a neat move

We have yet another episode title and an air date of March 23, which means the show is moving back to Thursdays (at least for this episode).

Title:

HOLY SHIT

REV UP THAT HYPE
OH SHIT

FURTHER ROSE REVELATIONS INCOMING

Title:

HOLY SHIT

REV UP THAT HYPE

aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Okay so
Room for Ruby
has the potential to be pretty cool if it turns out to be like any of the 3 scenarios that KenzinFive is suggesting. So I'm excited for that one.

has got me pretty damn hyped though because these types of episodes tend to be absolutely amazing, and heavy on the lore and world building.

God, I miss Bismuth. Wonder if Uzo Aduba is available for a return.

Bismuth is such a cool character, and Uzo Aduba's VO was superb.
However, if she too busy to play the character they should really consider a sound alike.
Because I have no doubt that the character is coming back.

zeemumu

Title:

HOLY SHIT

REV UP THAT HYPE

rev-up-those-fryers-o.gif

Title:

HOLY SHIT

REV UP THAT HYPE

tumblr_mihzldYEnK1s6ng21o1_400.gif

A good set of upcoming episodes.

Hyyyyype for the next couple of episodes. Rocknaldo was good in many way, and terrible in that it had to feature ronaldo to make it's point. But I get it. I forgive them because
LION 4

Psxphile

Long-awaited "Tiger Philanthropist" coming at you in little more than an hour.

tumblr_om98vewDpH1qkt447o1_1280.png

this is IT. the moment you've ALL been waiting for. STEVEN UNIVERSE in his FINAL FORM!!! remember when greg had to work at a zoo because he was broke? well it turns out STEVEN took all of gregs money so he could move to the jungle and live there as a TIGER MAN for the rest of his life. wow! TIGER PHILANTHROPIST! the next ”all new" episode of STEVEN UNIVERSE! boarded by Katie Mitroff & Lamar Abrams
Lamar Abrams

does he hate mondays...?

EDIT: oh hey, there's a synopsis for Room for Ruby!
”Steven's Gem family continues to grow."
source

Well, Tiger Philanthropist was pretty good and surprisingly heartfelt for a wrestling episode. I kind of feel that
Lars complaing that he doesn't like Tiger Philanthropist because he's boring now and wins all the time was a subtle nod at wrestling fans being hard to please. And we totally are sometimes.

I especially liked that Amethyst herself
acknowledged that she had matured and gotten her self-worth issues in check, which is why she didn't "need" wrestling anymore. But she still came back in the end because she realized how important wrestling together was for Steven.
Steven and Amethyst definitely have my favorite dynamic in the show right now. They really feel like an older sister and younger brother who love and support each other.

EDIT: As far as that synopsis for next week's episode: Crewniverse, you wonderful sons of bitches, the fans start getting restless and then you pull us right back in.

TheOGB

Banned
"I'm a complex individual teenage boy! Now get out of here and stop taking such a personal interest in my happiness and wellbeing!"
- Lars, on why he's a shit :V

Lol, he sounded like Larry from Gumball during that line.

Psxphile

tumblr_om9kzdrl2q1rz6w0do1_540.gif

When your favorite show is cancelled.

I'll be honest, I wasn't too fond of the ep. It has its moments, but it seemed like a retread we didn't really need. They even lampshade it in the episode: 'the sequel no one asked for'. Kinda felt like an episode that only existed due to SU getting greenlit for Season 3 (which became 4 and 5) renewal and the crew having to scramble to come up with more 11-minute plots in-between the ones they actually wanted to tell.

I did like that Steven was a lot more physical here than back in Tiger Millionaire, where he was mostly a prop.

I actually liked that one! It worked for me as a nice little Steven and Amethyst story, and Lars's shittiness actually made the episode more entertaining.

This is the sort of way that I think characters like Lars & Ronaldo are best used- as disruptive elements in someone else's story (see how Ronaldo is used in Full Disclosure for another good example).

I actually liked that one! It worked for me as a nice little Steven and Amethyst story, and Lars's shittiness actually made the episode more entertaining.

This is the sort of way that I think characters like Lars & Ronaldo are best used- as disruptive elements in someone else's story (see how Ronaldo is used in Full Disclosure for another good example).

I think this episode could have slotted in nicely pretty much anywhere in Season 4, but yeah, I thought it more or less worked well as an epilogue to the whole Steven / Amethyst self-worth arc.

Zubz

Banned

It was definitely a good & cute episode, and a nice bow to put onto a plot line that the Zoo arc basically wrapped up, but
an A-? While stronger episodes get B's? They definitely use different criteria than I would.

This was way better than Rocknaldo, but I'm thirsty for a lore episode after the arc cracked a bunch of stuff wide open. I am incredibly hyped for
Room for Ruby. Even if it just ends up being about our Ruby's Room in the Temple since it sounds like we're just seeing 1 Ruby. I mean, his family still "grows" if Garnet decides to spend time apart outside of a mission, right?

caliph95

From Leaks/Previews:

Well it seems they didn't forget about the rubies.
Also Navy is adorable
Looks Navy could be playing the long game

From Leaks/Previews:

Well it seems they didn't forget about the rubies.
Also Navy is adorable
Looks Navy could be playing the long game

Looked very quickly at the screenshots for
Room for Ruby
(at work right now), but here's what I can guess:

Maybe they only found Navy when they went to rescue the Rubies, and that's why the title is singular (Room for Ruby). Navy might be stealing the Ruby ship at the end not for entirely nefarious purposes, but to either search for the other Rubies or report back to Homeworld. It may be that she doesn't know any better. The episode will either end in two ways: Steven convinces Navy to come back and that they'll take care of her...or Navy escapes with the Ruby ship and reports back to Homeworld, which would be a huge escalation in the plot.

Zubz

Banned
I wasn't expecting
Navy, but I'll take her! We only have 3 episodes left this season, so she's gotta be the catalyst for something big, intentionally or not.

Pluto

I wasn't expecting
Navy, but I'll take her! We only have 3 episodes left this season, so she's gotta be the catalyst for something big, intentionally or not.
Huh? There are six left after
Room for Ruby
unless they changed the episode count.

Zubz

Banned
Huh? There are six left after
Room for Ruby
unless they changed the episode count.

Er... Oops. Either way, we're near the end. I definitely think all this not-technically-but-still-basically filler is being shoved out of the way before a big, lore heavy finale. We know next week's
Lion 4
; 5 episodes is more than enough for
a Diamond invasion, freeing Jasper/Bismuth, learning more about Pink Diamond's death
or something of that caliber.

Finally watched the leaked clip (had just looked at the screenshots quickly) and I can't decide whether it's hilarious or kind of frustrating that
they didn't go searching for Navy, they only found her because she literally crashed from the atmosphere right in the front of the fucking temple while Steven and Garnet were watching. Steven said they'd go back for them, and he just ends up getting lucky that one of them falls to Earth right in front of him.

Navy screaming as she falls from the sky is hilarious though.

Oh well, that's cartoons for ya.

I'll be disappointed, but not surprised if Navy is just thinking quick and trying to steal the ship through lying. It would fit with the running theme of Steven's trust in people being broken. Plus Garnet DID already mention that she wasn't sure about trusting Navy, so that may be foreshadowing.

Puruzi

Banned
Finally watched the leaked clip (had just looked at the screenshots quickly) and I can't decide whether it's hilarious or kind of frustrating that
they didn't go searching for Navy, they only found her because she literally crashed from the atmosphere right in the front of the fucking temple while Steven and Garnet were watching. Steven said they'd go back for them, and he just ends up getting lucky that one of them falls to Earth right in from of him.

I'll be disappointed, but not surprised if Navy is just thinking quick and trying to steal the ship through lying. It would fit with the running theme of Steven's trust in people being broken. Plus Garnet DID already mention that she wasn't sure about trusting Navy, so that may be foreshadowing.
It looks like Navy does steal the ship in one of the screens

Yes! The show is finally addressing the
spaced rubies
problem.

they didn't go searching for Navy, they only found her because she literally crashed from the atmosphere right in the front of the fucking temple while Steven and Garnet were watching. Steven said they'd go back for them, and he just ends up getting lucky that one of them falls to Earth right in from of him.

I think storytelling principles wise, the show can't just send Steven and the gang immediately back to a previous setting, but to allow for a break inbewteen big story moments. Yeah it would've been convenient for Steven and Co to have grabbed the
rubies
while flying back from the zoo, but the story's pacing needed to balance out again before a possibly important story moment.

zulux21

it took a bit of time but milo murphy's law has definitely figured out what it is doing and these new episodes have been great.

zulux21

I agree but wrong thread? :p

nah. I meant to post it here :p
SU fans are gonna need something to watch eventually (we all know a long hiatus is coming again) and the actual milo thread is completely dead lol.

thus I figured I would post that here to try to get some people to check it out since milo also stole the steven bomb format like star recently did :p

plus it's not like the last few weeks of episodes really gave us much to talk about.

best we have to talk about is perhaps the odds that the townies are infected with corrupted gems called bloodstone and that it will pop up later that steven has to cure them or something lol.

Might be an age old question, but what might be one way I can stream this show from beginning to the latest episode, with subtitles? It doesnt seems to be on netflix, and only first two seasons to be on hulu, dont know about 3 and 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom