• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Jasper has fans proves that people can latch to characters based entirely on the character having a really good design and nothing else going for them.

You can appreciate a character in a narrative without actually condoning their actions, though. I like Jasper because she's been thematically built into a foil of Amethyst; the perfect quartz from the imperfect Kindergarten and the imperfect quartz from the perfect Kindergarten, and even then Out of This World showed us that the "perfect" quartz soldiers from the Prime Kindergarten are still pretty chill. Not only that, but while Homeworld's ideology and practices are actually something of a way for Amethyst to bond with the other Kindergarteners and she felt like she was isolated because of her roots and upbringing on Earth, Jasper is a victim of the full breadth of Homeworld indoctrination and is too caught up in her own self-pity to view her origins on Earth as anything but a stain on her character.

She was the one Earth quartz not named Rose that's developed a reputation among Homeworld due to her tenacity and warrior ideals back during the original war for Earth, she was the one Homeworld quartz that wasn't just dumped at The Zoo following Pink Diamond's death, and in spite of her status as "the perfect quartz" she's failed at nearly every single objective she's either been given by Homeworld or set for herself since having come back to Earth to try and gain some closure from the whole Rose Quartz situation. Jasper is so deeply instilled with Homeworld mantra that the concept of personal worth is alien to her ("because when you're at the bottom... you'll follow anyone who makes you feel like less... of a failure"), so the one time she strays from her programming in the form of fusion, not only do both of her fusions backfire horribly, she also keeps losing to them. It makes complete sense that she would have so many issues with Rose.

zeemumu

You can appreciate a character in a narrative without actually condoning their actions, though. I like Jasper because she's been thematically built into a foil of Amethyst; the perfect quartz from the imperfect Kindergarten and the imperfect quartz from the perfect Kindergarten, and even then Out of This World showed us that the "perfect" quartz soldiers from the Prime Kindergarten are still pretty chill. Not only that, but while Homeworld's ideology and practices are actually something of a way for Amethyst to bond with the other Kindergarteners and she felt like she was isolated because of her roots and upbringing on Earth, Jasper is a victim of the full breadth of Homeworld indoctrination and is too caught up in her own self-pity to view her origins on Earth as anything but a stain on her character.

She was the one Earth quartz not named Rose that's developed a reputation among Homeworld due to her tenacity and warrior ideals back during the original war for Earth, she was the one Homeworld quartz that wasn't just dumped at The Zoo following Pink Diamond's death, and in spite of her status as "the perfect quartz" she's failed at nearly every single objective she's either been given by Homeworld or set for herself since having come back to Earth to try and gain some closure from the whole Rose Quartz situation. Jasper is so deeply instilled with Homeworld mantra that the concept of personal worth is alien to her ("because when you're at the bottom... you'll follow anyone who makes you feel like less... of a failure"), so the one time she strays from her programming in the form of fusion, not only do both of her fusions backfire horribly, she also keeps losing to them. It makes complete sense that she would have so many issues with Rose.

True. You don't like Disney villains because you're down with murder (hopefully), you like them because they're well-written and interesting to watchgo down their insane paths.

Problems comes when a writer wants you to like a character that you either feel nothing for or hate, but they continue to write the character like they're a fan favorite

PSqueak

Banned

Bolded is my beef with most Jasper fans, you get this bit, i get this bit, most of the so called jasper fans don't. For some reason people think Jasper is this super badass super soldier threat to the crystal gems and really miss all the depth of the character. I personally believe Jasper has already given all the narrative advancement she had to and her role on the story has been neatly wrapped, she did her narrative job well and it's over. I don't understand why people still latch to her, she's done, she served her function, she's got nothing else for her, but people still want her because the design.

I personally believe bringing her back or a redemption arc for her would be a massive disservice to the plot.

Bolded is my beef with most Jasper fans, you get this bit, i get this bit, most of the so called jasper fans don't. For some reason people think Jasper is this super badass super soldier threat to the crystal gems and really miss all the depth of the character. I personally believe Jasper has already given all the narrative advancement she had to and her role on the story has been neatly wrapped, she did her narrative job well and it's over. I don't understand why people still latch to her, she's done, she served her function, she's got nothing else for her, but people still want her because the design.

I personally believe bringing her back or a redemption arc for her would be a massive disservice to the plot.

I think she's served her role as a Homeworld-aligned character at this point, but at the same time I don't necessarily see her joining the Crystal Gems the same way Peridot did. If anything, characters like Lapis have shown us there's room for characters to still exist in the grey area between them (or just general unaffiliation with either Homeworld or the CGs), so ironically I could see Jasper also sort of slotting into that area, albeit not siding with Lapis, if you know what I mean. I could see a "Jasperspective" arc happening, essentially, where she learns about the Diamonds corrupting everyone at the end of the war and more or less making peace with herself, even if I don't see her living in the barn or the Temple alongside the others.

Not only that, but there was Amethyst's "c'mere, sis" line, which makes me think there's still probably a few threads unresolved on Jasper's side, too.

I actually liked this episode, even if it was technically filler. Having
the Gems actually being part of the episode
made it way better than other "townie" episodes. I think back to stuff like Drop Beat Dad and Onion Gang, which both felt like they could have taken place in pretty much any other cartoon.

This episode had some really great jokes, and Ronaldo is at least trying to change for the better. Best joke for me is a tie between
the utterly-perfect anime parody title "I Can't Believe My Step-Dad Is My Sword" and Amethyst's "You truthed him so hard he died!"

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I feel like this is one of those episodes that doesn't seem important now, but will have importance later.
Ronaldo is actually the first human character outside of Greg and Connie to take actual interest in the gems, I could see that playing into future human-gem dynamics and they may go somewhere with Ronaldo wanting to bridge humans to understand the Gems better.

I could definitely see Ronaldo now being
one of the main humans who tries to argue for the Gems or tries to reason with some humans/the town if they ever try to cause trouble with or get angry with the Gems.

I just remembered another moment that really made me laugh out loud:
the Gems unceremoniously dumping a sleeping Ronaldo in front of the Fry Shack and generally not giving that much of a shit about him after that.

Ronaldo remains a basic joke played out way too long for me, unfortunately.

Did he have a different voice this time? Maybe the same actor, but with a more turned down performance, even at the beginning?

TheOGB

Banned
In my searches for THE TRUTH, I’ve done a lot of listening. I’ve listened to haunted houses to hear ghosts from other dimensions. I’ve listened to radio signals from the cosmos for signs of alien life. But on my most recent quest to help the Crystal Gems, I forgot to listen to someone very important: the Crystal Gems. If you wanna help someone else, you can’t make it all about you - no matter how sweet your KATANA BLADES may be! You gotta listen and help spread their words.
A kids show episode about how to be a good ally

Yeah, I'm alright with that

zeemumu

Ronaldo remains a basic joke played out way too long for me, unfortunately.

Did he have a different voice this time? Maybe the same actor, but with a more turned down performance, even at the beginning?

He has no justification for his theories and therefore no real importance because there's nothing to stop.

Well that was boring.
When the show has an episode focusing on a citizen of beach city, it develops that person and their connection to Steven(well, most times), but with Rocknaldo it was basically filler. There was barely little to none development for Ronaldo, in fact he was as annoying as ever.

Congrats on people guessing the gem teased was
Ronaldo's gemsona

zulux21

Well that was boring.
When the show has an episode focusing on a citizen of beach city, it develops that person and their connection to Steven(well, most times), but with Rocknaldo it was basically filler. There was barely little to none development for Ronaldo, in fact he was as annoying as ever.

Congrats on people guessing the gem teased was
Ronaldo's gemsona

well I am guessing that is the tease in general for the series as well that bloodstone will be the next gem shown... since that bloodstone was done in the style of SU and wasn't in this episode, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's in an episode that airs this year :p

iosefe

audio mix sounded weird, like when he dropped the sword and it was deead silent, then the sound of the waves turn back up when ronoldo started talking.

gave me the feeling that it was phoned in, literally

Dreadful.
Probably one of the worst, if not the worst episode in the series.
Ronaldo continues to be a loud unlikable fool while the slice of life townie episodes continue to feel cliche, juvenile, and completely out of place 4 seasons into this otherwise amazing science fantasy cartoon.
I don't understand why Rebecca and the crewniverse, as skilled and talented as they are, choose to do the least interesting things with premises like this.
If you have a fantasy world, use it; meld it with the mundane!
An episode about Ronoldo attempting to join the crystal gems should have had him trying to keep up with them on a few missions; fumbling through various exotic locations and being tossed about by a corrupted gem or two while attempting to maintain some level of confidence.
Eventually culminating in him realizing that he's not the "hero" he thinks he is, pushing him to legitimately learn about his world rather than immediately jump to crazy conclusions.

But nope...it's just Ronaldo pretending to be his gemsona while being an annoying dick in Steven's house for 11 minutes.
-_-

Jay RaR

Wow...people really do not like Ronaldo around here.

Thought the episode was alright, had some laughs here and there. Also thought this would be a totally different episode from the title lol.

One other slightly dark comment, something that bugged me:

Steven is getting really casual about summoning kittens then drowning them. He just did it an episode or two ago, then did it again here. Yeah, they're just weird transformations of his body, but summoning one, then sticking it into his mouth to get rid of it... It's meant to play as a joke, but not a fan.

Sagroth

On the one hand, I get what this episode was going for and appreciate the whole "misguided ally" notion being explored. I also got a number of laughs from the dialogue. But on the other hand, I f$%king hate Ronaldo, and he was extra insufferable this episode(as well as his voice sounding off), and once again it doesn't look like his character is advancing at all. It's not the worst episode ever. It's not even the worst this season(that'd be Future Boy Zoltron), but I came into the episode with low expectations and basically got what I expected.

Also, Facebook is not taking kindly to the gem fakeout Cartoon Network put out(though I had figured like most here that it was going to be false).

well I am guessing that is the tease in general for the series as well that bloodstone will be the next gem shown... since that bloodstone was done in the style of SU and wasn't in this episode, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's in an episode that airs this year :p

I wouldn't be surprised if the gem appears again in some meaningful way. The stone is too distinct of a design to be wasted in Rocknaldo.

Zelias

Banned
Like most Ronaldo episodes it was pointless and forgettable. Ronaldo is a really played-out joke of a character, he's not interesting.

PSqueak

Banned
This is the first time since the series began that i truly feel leaks hurt the show.

3 meh episodes in a row are feeling dreadful right now, but it's not their fault, this episodes were supposed to be the breather after the 5 episode space travel ark which was absolutely amazing, but since the episodes leaked 30 freaking days before air date, people who saw them (like me) feel starved for more and these fillers are not doing it.

If the episodes hadn't leaked everything would be happening right after 5 amazing episodes and the badness of these episodes wouldn't hurt this hard.

It just feels weird that SU has been so hype deflating lately.
weirder even when im more hyped about Star vs than SU.

caliph95

I guess there have been worse Ronaldo episodes. This one was still terrible though.

Most of these recent episodes have either been bad or mediocre. My problem with them isn't that they're small and isolated or that not much happens, it's that they're so unimaginative.

Did they grade this on a curve or what

Av club can be generous because they do a lot of times.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
All I'm going to say is I enjoyed this episode more than most, apparently. But I seem to appreciate some different aspects of this show more than most. This episode isn't close to one of my favorites, but I thought it was enjoyable enough.

This is the first time since the series began that i truly feel leaks hurt the show.

3 meh episodes in a row are feeling dreadful right now, but it's not their fault, this episodes were supposed to be the breather after the 5 episode space travel ark which was absolutely amazing, but since the episodes leaked 30 freaking days before air date, people who saw them (like me) feel starved for more and these fillers are not doing it.

If the episodes hadn't leaked everything would be happening right after 5 amazing episodes and the badness of these episodes wouldn't hurt this hard.

It just feels weird that SU has been so hype deflating lately.
weirder even when im more hyped about Star vs than SU.

I guess there have been worse Ronaldo episodes. This one was still terrible though.

Most of these recent episodes have either been bad or mediocre. My problem with them isn't that they're small and isolated or that not much happens, it's that they're so unimaginative.

By recent bad or mediocre episodes, do you mean the five episode arc about going to space to save Greg from the Zoo? :^)

I don't mind the episodes, in fact I like them, but as said in the post above yours people need to remember while many may have watched the five leaked episodes two months ago or so, they aired only a few weeks ago on TV.

PSqueak

Banned
this

also, i'm amazed steven hasn't taken a liking to that crop top-type look with his gem out from this episode

Well, remember from other episodes Steven has subtly shown some insecurities about not being perceived as a human by the people of beach city, so i guess that's why he's still not fully on "gem pride!" mode parading it around.

Not to mention in Rose's video there was her emphasis on how the fact that he would be human is of tremendous importance, to contrast with early seasons where the CG pressured him to be more of a gem and less of a human.

It's not that I demand plot all the time, or that slower episodes are bad- I loved The New Crystal Gems, and thought Storm in the Room was very cathartic.

The problem is characters. Steven Universe has a very well-developed set of characters in terms of the main cast, but the townsfolk are not remotely as interesting or well-developed, and spending episodes following them isn't as interesting or satisfying as basically any episode that focuses on the Gems, Greg or Connie. The New Crystal Gems didn't advance the overarching plot at all, but I had a great deal of fun watching it because it starred characters I care about, whereas Rocknaldo starred Ronaldo, who I don't give even the slightest shit about.

There are occasional exceptions (Restaurant Wars springs immediately to mind), but it's a decent rule of thumb. Rocknaldo didn't plumb the depths of pointlessness that something like Onion Gang or The New Lars did, but I just didn't care about it at all.

Zubz

Banned
Well, uh... It was a Ronaldo episode, alright. Sorry to everyone who got hyped up about him actually doing something useful plot-wise... Although I actually do think
Ronaldo's pamphlets on how the Gems help Beach City
will be relevant later, even if they'll probably
use the term "Ronalphlets" as a call-back &, like, 3 people will remember the term due to how disjointed the phrase sounds & how obscure the joke will be by that point. Maybe they'll help convince Beach City that Lapis or some future Gem they haven't always lived alongside isn't a threat to their way of existence
?

I also
appreciate Steven consistently calling Ronaldo "Bloodstone" until he quits the team

I wouldn't be surprised if the gem appears again in some meaningful way. The stone is too distinct of a design to be wasted in Rocknaldo.

True, but it's just a gem. The way the Tweet was worded seems obvious they were dodging an actual Gem's reveal now that the episode's come and gone. I like the distinct design, but I can totally see it being something the social media team made on their own. A character design's tricky, but this is just a rock with some red splotches in it.

That said, between the shape & blood mostly being water, my guess is an actual Bloodstone would be from BD's court.

Yeah... It's weird how AV Club will go hard on some of the good episodes, yet score bland ones highly, so they both end up being "B's."

i'm amazed steven hasn't taken a liking to that crop top-type look with his gem out from this episode

Since all of the "filler" episodes end up meaning several things down the road, my guess is that he might down the road in addition to
the Ronalphlets

I didn't think Rocknaldo was that bad. It just wasn't that good either. Luckily, I hadn't seen the previous weeks episode yet so I watched that immediately after.

Would be nice if Ronaldo's character had some kind of change as a result of the episode's final minutes, but we won't know until his next appearance.

True, but it's just a gem. The way the Tweet was worded seems obvious they were dodging an actual Gem's reveal now that the episode's come and gone. I like the distinct design, but I can totally see it being something the social media team made on their own. A character design's tricky, but this is just a rock with some red splotches in it.

That said, between the shape & blood mostly being water, my guess is an actual Bloodstone would be from BD's court.

It's still possible an actual bloodstone gem might show up later in the series, likely when Homeworld ramps up its plans for earth.

Dr. Buni

A kids show episode about how to be a good ally

Yeah, I'm alright with that
"Kids show". Hardly.

The most recent episode was a snoozefest. Hate those fillers, can't wait for some development like in the previous two episodes, which were great.

zeemumu

"Kids show". Hardly.

The most recent episode was a snoozefest. Hate those fillers, can't wait for some development like in the previous two episodes, which were great.

As much as it appeals to a mature audience and tackles themes that would go over the heads of most children, it's still a kid's show in the same way that Harry Potter books are kids books but adults read them anyway. It just decides not to be the cartoon equivalent of dangling keys in your face and tries to instill deeper themes through a medium that kids could easily comprehend or pay attention to.

That's why episodes like Rocknaldo exist. It's a silly antics episode that kids would still enjoy because they aren't hungering for a constant stream of plot-driven episodes like the adult audience is. They just want to watch the show.

That and if they did nothing but do plot episodes the quality and life span of the show would be reduced substantially.

Toxi

Banned
Meh episode. I actually like a lot of Beach City episodes (<3 Restaurant Wars), but while this had some funny moments, Ronaldo's just so... Unlikeable. Like at first I thought it would be nice because Ronaldo seemed genuine about getting away from the whole rock people thing, but then he just acted like an asshole for most of the episode. Which we've seen him do in every Ronaldo episode.

MCPhatman

Neo Member
Got this from DB Super forum

tumblr_ofjfg1DRA51ufgd3ko1_500.png
tumblr_ofjfg1DRA51ufgd3ko2_1280.png
tumblr_inline_ofjfefXrOn1r5ohhy_500.png

Source

I understood that reference!

Have to say, 17 actually looks kind of cute in Lapis's dress there. :3
Meh episode. I actually like a lot of Beach City episodes (<3 Restaurant Wars), but while this had some funny moments, Ronaldo's just so... Unlikeable. Like at first I thought it would be nice because Ronaldo seemed genuine about getting away from the whole rock people thing, but then he just acted like an asshole for most of the episode. Which we've seen him do in every Ronaldo episode.
Yeah, like that's pretty much my problem with it. That at the end of every Ronaldo episode, it seems like he experiences some degree of growth and learns something and is maaaaaaybe going to become something less of an asshole. But then as soon as we have another Ronaldo episode, he's back to being a complete asshole to someone else, as if he experienced no character growth at all. That's what's annoying about him--that they tease him the possibility of him growing and changing, but it never materializes and he just reverts to being the same Ronaldo in a different situation every time anyways.

...On the other hand, I suppose one could argue that that makes him realistic since that's how assholes are in real life: even if you get them to knock it off in one situation, they'll probably find ways to keep being an asshole anyway in a different situation and make you start back at square one each time instead of just knocking it off completely to begin with. That and Ronaldo does seem to serve as a convenient fall guy to use to teach kids to not be dicks to each other in different situations, instead of having to create a new character each time they want to do that--just make Ronaldo an asshole again and forget about him having any real lasting character development. But it doesn't make his episodes any more enjoyable.

That and if they did nothing but do plot episodes the quality and life span of the show would be reduced substantially.

Man, no just no.
I just can't...
That's like saying the quality of a cheesecake restaurant would be reduced if they didn't serve you 10 helpings of lightly salted brussel sprouts and broccoli before every slice of delicious cheesecake you've paid for.
The show would be substantially better if 98% of it was focused on the all encompassing, overarching "homeworld returns" plot and all the little science-fantasy plot threads it's been creating for the past 3 seasons

There's little reason for boring, trite episodic stuff like Drop Beat Dad, Onion Gang, or Rocknaldo to exist outside of some sort of syndication quota.
Stuff like the "flood order" and similar fandom produced episode guides show that's it's more than possible to skip almost every single townie episode in almost every season of SU without missing anything because the vast majority of townie/non-plot related episodes are unsubstantial, incongruous pace killers.

Blues1990

Man Storm in the Room was some pretty heavy stuff.

i wonder if they are gonna make him actually do it though.

You mean Steven dying his hair pink? It would be funny as a one-off joke, especially seeing Greg and Pearl's reaction.

Or do you mean Steven trying to find a more peaceful solution to the mess he has inherited from his mother? Steven has strong anxiety about the concept of shattering a gem (or taking a life, in general), as it's part of his character that he would much rather make a compromise and choose reasoning than fighting back.

Then again, some people can't be reasoned with, and I feel Steven will be incapable of talking it out with Yellow/Blue/White Diamond.

zeemumu

Man, no just no.
I just can't...
That's like saying the quality of a cheesecake restaurant would be reduced if they didn't serve you 10 helpings of lightly salted brussel sprouts and broccoli before every slice of delicious cheesecake you've paid for.
The show would be substantially better if 98% of it was focused on the all encompassing, overarching "homeworld returns" plot and all the little science-fantasy plot threads it's been creating for the past 3 seasons

There's little reason for boring, trite episodic stuff like Drop Beat Dad, Onion Gang, or Rocknaldo to exist outside maybe of some syndication quota.
Stuff like the "flood order" and similar fandom produced episode guides show that's it's more than possible to skip almost every single townie episode in almost every season of SU without missing anything because the vast majority of townie/non-plot related episodes are unsubstantial, incongruous pace killers.

It's more like saying if you ate cheesecake for 5 days straight it'd ruin your opinion of cheescake for a while. And then you'll be out of cheescake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom