• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
Like Squidward and Meg/Brian in Family Guy, Lars is the type who would willingly screw you over for his own ends, mainly because that's what being a teenager (a shitty one, anyway) is. He's not a jerk just to be a jerk or be rebellious. There's an endgame. That's probably why he gets the treatment he does. It'll stop when he drops that personal, which he won't unless there's a timeskip

You just described Ronaldo more than Lars in the bolded, other than lying to Sadie once and being kind of insensitive to steven once, Lars hasn't done anything too bad.

Ronaldo literally has engaged in "screwing [others] over for his own end" twice and both times it involved killing someone (steven and lars respectively). Not to mention that he was more than ready to kill a watermelon steven even tho it had shown sentience.

zeemumu

You just described Ronaldo more than Lars in the bolded, other than lying to Sadie once and being kind of insensitive to steven once, Lars hasn't done anything too bad.

Ronaldo literally has engaged in "screwing [others] over for his own end" twice and both times it involved killing someone (steven and lars respectively). Not to mention that he was more than ready to kill a watermelon steven even tho it had shown sentience.

Ronaldo strikes me more as Dib with no Zim to justify his horrible actions. Lars does bad crap that he knows is bad and tries to suppress guilt. Ronaldo does bad crap that he feels is justified ethically for bullshit reasons. Kind of a greater good can do no wrong situation. He's the feds breaking in to kidnap E.T.

Zubz

Banned
Ronaldo strikes me more as Dib with no Zim to justify his horrible actions. Lars does bad crap that he knows is bad and tries to suppress guilt. Ronaldo does bad crap that he feels is justified ethically for bullshit reasons.

Seeing how Rebecca Sugar was a huge Zim fangirl, I have never not seen him as an older, neckbeard-instead-of-goth Dib.

Don't we have a Zim, though?
Post-redemption arc Peridot is basically what a redemption arc Zim would have been

zeemumu

Seeing how Rebecca Sugar was a huge Zim fangirl, I have never not seen him as an older, neckbeard-instead-of-goth Dib.

Don't we have a Zim, though?
Post-redemption arc Peridot is basically what a redemption arc Zim would have been

In a way, but I meant a Zim like a threat that the conspiracy theorist is the only one able to stop. Ronaldo thinks he's in that story.

She could be the gem's Zim if she wasn't so competent

Watched the first two minute leak. I usually hate Ronaldo episodes, but I managed to get a laugh out of the clip.

"THEY HATE MEN?!"

I'm oddly excited for it?

Also of course, the next story prediction by Ronaldo.

Everything that happens to Lars comes across as a comeuppance for him generally being an unpleasant little shit- we've never seen him be anything other than a prick, even at his best moments. I don't generally like Lars episodes, and found The New Lars horrifying in all kinds of different ways, but I can't really argue that he doesn't deserve a lot of the shit he gets- as The New Lars (endlessly) points out, he could have a nicer life if he wasn't a jerk.

Ronaldo, on the other hand, is a fitfully amusing bit character that unaccountably keeps on getting episodes devoted to him despite him never being interesting or funny enough to justify it.

PSqueak

Banned
Everything that happens to Lars comes across as a comeuppance for him generally being an unpleasant little shit- we've never seen him be anything other than a prick, even at his best moments. I don't generally like Lars episodes, and found The New Lars horrifying in all kinds of different ways, but I can't really argue that he doesn't deserve a lot of the shit he gets- as The New Lars (endlessly) points out, he could have a nicer life if he wasn't a jerk.

Ronaldo, on the other hand, is a fitfully amusing bit character that unaccountably keeps on getting episodes devoted to him despite him never being interesting or funny enough to justify it.

Getting almost killed on a regular basis is comeuppance for engaging in typical teenager behavior?

Really now? I think the Pizza girl (who abused the trust of her twin) and Buck (who took advantage of Steven in a huge campaign to embarrass Greg and downright bully Steven) are worse people than Lars, Lars is just a moody loser, he's not the asshole people make him out to be.

Hell, i think the only teenager who hasn't done something horrible is Sour Cream.

Before people cry "SADIE!", let me state it again: She nearly got Lars, Steven and herself killed by risking their lives trapping them in an island with a monster for selfish reasons.

Hell, people seem to want Lars punished for really minor faults, while they seem to want to excuse characters they like better for things that are 10 times worse than anything Lars has done.

zeemumu

Getting almost killed on a regular basis is comeuppance for engaging in typical teenager behavior?

Really now? I think the Pizza girl (who abused the trust of her twin) and Buck (who took advantage of Steven in a huge campaign to embarrass Greg and downright bully Steven) are worse people than Lars, Lars is just a moody loser, he's not the asshole people make him out to be.

Hell, i think the only teenager who hasn't done something horrible is Sour Cream.

(Before people cry "SADIE!", let me state it again: She nearly got Lars, Steven and herself killed by risking their lives trapping them in an island with a monster for selfish reasons)

A lot of those only lasted one episode. Lars continues to be a jerk. He's chronically two-faced and willing to springboard off of people, and there's evidence of him learning from his actions but not actually implementing what he learned for longer than the last 3 minutes of whatever episode he's in.

Upcoming cover from the May issue of the new Steven comic. Just wanted to post it because it's a gorgeous piece.

KABOOM-StevenUniverse-004-A-Main.jpg

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I talked about this back when New Lars released and it was an interesting discussion.

I like Lars, not like favorite character like but he's higher than many of the Beach City residents for me. He can sometimes be frustrating, but that's true of many people who are insecure. However, what he goes through is completely disproportionate to what he does.

Someone on the last page said he'd backstab someone for his own ends, but in reality he's shown the complete opposite. He complains a lot and says things, but he does reach out to people and obviously the reason he tries to pass off so much that he doesn't care is because he cares a whole lot.

I do hope eventually the episodes with him edge more one way.

Ronaldo episode upcoming, it's been a while. Wonder if he'll be prophetic and spoil big plot points upcoming in the series again.

Seriously, his track record is amazing. Now all we need is Sneeple and his conspiracy theories will have all been correct.

Just T

The New Crystal Gems was disappointing, they could have done a lot more with that set up yet let it end up at a car wash. Lapis needs an arc soon or something and Peridot just needs something to be serious about. As for Storm in the Room, thought it would turn out differently, wouldn't say I'm disappointed though, just nothing new there. Let Steven air it all out though so that's good, the Peanut reference wasn't though. Also for some reason wanted the episode to end with just him on the couch instead of that last bit with the others.

Not sure how Rocknaldo going to turn out, if it features a good bit of the CGs then it might be good if not then it's going to be too much him.

Hmm, that
green sword
from the Rocknaldo leaks is getting some attention. People are theorizing it's made from the homeworld ship peridot and jasper arrived on, but I'm having a hard time Ronaldo has
weapon making
abilities.

NEO0MJ

Oh god, while randomly browsing Instagram I came across a not so nice edit of Greg and Peridot (the actual picture wasn't suggestive, but the implications...).
I wasn't even looking for Steven stuff, only funnies!

Hmm, that
green sword
from the Rocknaldo leaks is getting some attention. People are theorizing it's made from the homeworld ship peridot and jasper arrived on, but I'm having a hard time Ronaldo has
weapon making
abilities.

Just wait, it's
going to be the only thing that can poof a diamond, or something.

Psxphile

Between that and the leaked screengrabs, episode is def getting attention now. Doesn't quite seem like "just a townie" episode anymore.

Give that it appears to be a Bloodstone, I'm guessing that it's just going to be Ronaldo's self-consciously edgy gemsona.

I think that's it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a shocking last-minute twist where Ronaldo accidentally discovers a missing Gem or unpoofs one of the corrupted gems near the end. The Crystal Gems save Ronaldo, the corrupted Gem runs off, and we have our next mini-story arc.

If anything, it would be nice if they fooled us into thinking it would be just another "townie" episode only to throw in a sudden plot development.

EDIT: Also, very pleased to see DrewScanlonBlinking.gif as the first response on Twitter. Memes are strange and wonderful sometimes.

Blues1990

Huh, tomorrow's episode is going to be a weird one.

Speaking of which, does anyone else think Ronaldo's voice sounds a bit off?

RedHill

Banned
I don't think CN would hype up a gem on Twitter if it was only a joke thing. My theory is that Ronaldo finds it and she forms.

it does to me.

anyways hope that tomorrows episode is good since it seems like we don't have anymore after it.

Actually, we have Tiger Philanthropist on March 3, so we do have another weekly episode.

But after that though, nothing is announced.

I'm thinking that maybe Cartoon Network is stretching out the non-Steven-Bomb episodes into weekly airings before building up to a week-long Steven Bomb. One of the weak things about the Summer of Steven was that one or two week stretch of meh to decent stand-alone episodes that people didn't care that much for.

I'm thinking one of three things happens:

1. So, either there has to be a Diamond Line on Earth or a quick way to get from Earth to the moon base, right? Peridot said "all other forms of communication had been compromised", but it's not like she was able to get away from the CGs while in "captivity". I would think if the hand ship was destroyed YD would be wondering how Peridot was able to get to the moon and back to pick up the communicator. Maybe there was one on the hand ship before it blew up. Anyway, I'm thinking we may be dealing with a
Message Received situation where we see Yellow Pearl in the control room again but also a Bloodstone this time still affiliated with Homeworld.

2. We get a sort of reverse-Bismuth situation where,
rather than it being a benevolent Crystal Gem with differing ideals that has to be bubbled away over a misunderstanding, a Bloodstone gets un-bubbed but they're not corrupted. For whatever reason this Bloodstone was aligned with Homeworld back in the day but was bubbled during the war.

Bloodstone is a fusion.

What if
it's a fusion of Steven and Ronaldo?

Actually, I just did some research and
Bloodstone is a type of quartz, so the gem shape resembling Holly Blue Agate makes sense - except it's specifically a form of jasper. And, given that birthstones that share the same month seem to have some basic similarities in Gem form (Peridot and Sardonyx, Ruby and Carnelian, Sapphire and Lapis Lazuli), I checked that and Bloodstone's a March birthstone - also the same as jasper. Hoo boy.

wait wait wait

Considering how good Amethyst is at shapeshifting, and the concerns about Ronaldo's voice, what if Bloodstone is actually a spy that's been sent from Homeworld who took the form of Ronaldo to try and get intel on the Crystal Gems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom