• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With worst possible timing Louis C.K.'s film I Love You, Daddy gets a trailer

Sanjuro

This type of movie isn't poised to make much money at all. This is going to be a limited release for certain. The timing is absolutely going to help generate more awareness of the film for the cities it opens in.

berzeli

Banned
What more can one do to quash rumors other than deny them?
Not release the trailer now?

Because you can't really talk about this without mentioning those rumours in the current climate.
Seriously, sometimes GAF feels like a different planet full of angry people looking for reasons to be angry. There is no possible way that the people behind the movie and this trailer are not aware of what's going on in their own industry right now. They're probably feeling pretty lucky with the timing of this trailer.
I'm sure they're ecstatic with headlines like:
Now Is Not the Time for This Louis C.K. Movie
or
The First Trailer for Louis C.K.’s I Love You, Daddy Feels Particularly Icky Amid the Weinstein Fallout

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Because you can't really talk about this without mentioning those rumours in the current climate.

or
The First Trailer for Louis C.K.’s I Love You, Daddy Feels Particularly Icky Amid the Weinstein Fallout
Who knows? I read quite a few reviews of this movie quite a while back and promptly forgot it existed. Not sure why people would assume they accidentally made a movie and accidentally released a trailer.

Was it smart? I dunno.

mr2xxx

Banned
Seems like any publicity for this movie would be good considering it looks like a movie that would only make a few million in the first place.

berzeli

Banned
Well the trailer seems to have gotten Vice to publish this article:
I Got Shut Down While Trying to Report on the Louis C.K. Rumors
In 2015, I attended the Just for Laughs (JFL) festival in Montreal as a journalist writing on behalf of Gawker, a profoundly flawed organization I miss desperately. The organizers of the festival did not know the purpose of my presence was a desire to investigate the numerous rumors I'd heard about Louis C.K. behaving in a sexually inappropriate way. Had they known, I surely would not have been invited to attend. Because Louis, you see, is a "friend" of the JFL organization.
A tall man in a suit approached, relieving her of the duty of admonishing me. He was, in a word, livid. In two words: fucking livid. Red faced, he informed me that JFL is a "family," that Louis is a member of said "family," and that I could ask my question on "my turf," but that this was "our turf." This wasn't "that kind" of red carpet, he informed me—it was a "friendly one," and Louis was a "friend of the festival." Were I to ask the offending question again, he said, I would be ejected from the carpet. But if I asked "nice" questions, I would be allowed to stay. His demeanor aggressively implied he had no desire to let me do so.

But hey, all publicity is good publicity (no, no it's not).

Blader

As long as the movie exists those rumors are going to be brought up, regardless of the climate it's seen in. The movie already premiered at TIFF before the Weinstein shit came to light and the CK rumors were mentioned then in reviews.

Looks like quality Louis CK stuff, even if it feels derivative of Manhattan. As to the timing... maybe it will put a few extra butts in the seats.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I thought Louie was along the same lines.

kiss.gif

Gif provided without context.

Wood Man

It reminds me of that "Neighborhood Watch" movie that came out shortly after the Trayvon Martian shooting. If I remember correctly they delayed it for some time and even changed the name.They removed the trailer from Florida theaters and altered/deleted some scenes.

Still not enough to save the movie.

Jharp

or

Yeah, comedians and their publicists HATE bad PR by the crowd that gets offended by their taking advantage of shitty news.

The controversy this generates will translate to far more discussion, views, and clicks than if it had been released at another time. This is primo, definitely intentional timing for them.

This thread's just reminded me of how fucking good Horace and Pete was. I need to rewatch that.

FiggyCal

Banned

or

No ones going to remember the outrage over a trailer release when the movie comes out. Maybe if the movie was opening this week it would be bad timing, but everyone's talking about the trailer now.

berzeli

Banned
Yeah, comedians and their publicists HATE bad PR by the crowd that gets offended by their taking advantage of shitty news.

The controversy this generates will translate to far more discussion, views, and clicks than if it had been released at another time. This is primo, definitely intentional timing for them.
No ones going to remember the outrage over a trailer release when the movie comes out. Maybe if the movie was opening this week it would be bad timing, but everyone's talking about the trailer now.
This isn't really a controversy you want associated with your film, sexual misconduct isn't exactly a strong selling point.
And people do actually tend to remember things like that.

jayu26

Isn't this sort of the of premise second half of Lolita? Except in that it was a writer who got in between Lo and step-daddydouchebag.

Edit: okay at the trailer, maybe not.

With worst possible writer director, star and human being, Louis C.K.'s film I Love You, Daddy gets a trailer

FTFY.

Holy shit at people focusing on Weinstein, Allen and "timing" here when Louis himself is a sex predator.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

orioto

Good Art™
My god he's trying super hard to be Allen with the movie.. Really, even B&W and jazz music ??

I love Louis but sometimes he does too much and wants to be some masterpiece auteur. I hated that play he did. That was so fucking snub.

Now his tv shows, not even his own especially, but Better Things and baskets are amazing.

neoanarch

I thought the rumors were about Tig Notaro? Or was there more than one rumor.
Edit: Tig had an incident with Louis and hasn't spoken with him since. Whatever that was seems to have killed their relationship. Plus Louis stealing the clown bit.

MUnited83

For you.
Oh I think the intentions are clear, it's that they decide to release it now. It's not going to make any of that better.

Not really considering that there are a lot of people who (rightly) aren't going to be especially charitable with how they feel about this.

Isn't the movie releasing like one month from now? I can't see any timeframe where releasing this trailer wouldn't be controversial.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I thought the rumors were about Tig Notaro? Or was there more than one rumor.
The rumor was originally an unsourced thing people assumed was about Garfunkel and Oats.

People connected it to some comments by Jen Kirkman that she said were not about Louie. (They sure as fuck sounded like they were though)

One of the hosts of Throwing Shade did everything short of saying the rumors were true.

Tig Notaro (someone Louie championed and who makes a show he is an EP [read: a glamor title]) has been less inclined to defend Louie than some expected and has mostly tried to distance herself from him.

His initial response to it was basically “people are gonna think what they wanna think” which rubbed many the wrong way.

As far as I know, he has no formal accuser for me to believe. I also have no inclination to waste my time defending him either.

If I missed something people can feel free to correct me.

Edit: I left out Roseanne cuz she just says crazy shit. I say that as a big fan. She was said I was a “vagenius” so I think I have a leg to stand on in not taking her seriously haha. Maybe her claims hold water.

https://www.bing-amp.com/c/s/www.thewrap.com/jen-kirkman-louis-ck/amp/

Edit: Also Tig’s show had a scene that drew parallels to the Louie CK rumor in a way that felt pretty straightforward coming from an artist who knows him.

norm9

This movie is being sent out to die.

Arnold's Collateral Damage came out a little after 9/11 and it didn't do too well.

Can't wait for the thousands of bad takes on Manhattan, in which it is asserted the movie is in favor of its lead character's behavior rather than simply descriptively depicting it and allowing the audience to form their own opinions on it.

The rumor was originally an unsourced thing people assumed was about Garfunkel and Oats.

People connected it to some comments by Jen Kirkman that she said were not about Louie. (They sure as fuck sounded like they were though)

One of the hosts of Throwing Shade did everything short of saying the rumors were true.

Tig Notaro (someone Louie championed and who makes a show he is an EP [read: a glamor title]) has been less inclined to defend Louie than some expected and has mostly tried to distance herself from him.

His initial response to it was basically “people are gonna think what they wanna think” which rubbed many the wrong way.

As far as I know, he has no formal accuser for me to believe. I also have no inclination to waste my time defending him either.

If I missed something people can feel free to correct me.

Edit: I left out Roseanne cuz she just says crazy shit. I say that as a big fan. She was said I was a “vagenius” so I think I have a leg to stand on in not taking her seriously haha. Maybe her claims hold water.

https://www.bing-amp.com/c/s/www.thewrap.com/jen-kirkman-louis-ck/amp/

Edit: Also Tig’s show had a scene that drew parallels to the Louie CK rumor in a way that felt pretty straightforward coming from an artist who knows him.
There is an awful lot of smoke. I would add that CK has never specifically denied the claim of forcing women to watch him masturbate, and that Notaro brought up stand up comedians who are like Harvey Weinstein last week on Colbert. All this stuff has really put some of Louie's exhibitionistic stuff (that time he flashed the audience in Lucky Louie, his "realistic jerk-off pantomime" bit) in a different light for me. I'm not saying he did it, but it feels very possible.

gun_haver

There is an awful lot of smoke. I would add that CK has never specifically denied the claim of forcing women to watch him masturbate, and that Notaro brought up stand up comedians who are like Harvey Weinstein last week on Colbert. All this stuff has really put some of Louie's exhibitionistic stuff (that time he flashed the audience in Lucky Louie, his "realistic jerk-off pantomime" bit) in a different light for me. I'm not saying he did it, but it feels very possible.

I mean, a lot of things feel very possible. A rich man using his status to sexually harass women? Sounds possible to me.

But there isn't anybody actually accusing Louis CK of anything. The Jen Kirkman thing is the center of all of it, and she's outright denied she was talking about Louis CK in her vague comments that didn't mention anybody by name - people just assumed that is who she was talking about and she's clarified that it wasn't.

The rest is just people reading in to his work with their preferred reading that he is a flasher or sex predator, or just saying 'yeah this feels true'.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Maybe an accusation will come out later that is more substantial than an anonymous Gawker comment. Right now though, it's like people have just decided that he's a rampant sex offender based on the interpretation of next to nothing.

I mean, a lot of things feel very possible. A rich man using his status to sexually harass women? Sounds possible to me.

But there isn't anybody actually accusing Louis CK of anything. The Jen Kirkman thing is the center of all of it, and she's outright denied she was talking about Louis CK in her vague comments that didn't mention anybody by name - people just assumed that is who she was talking about and she's clarified that it wasn't.

The rest is just people reading in to his work with their preferred reading that he is a flasher or sex predator, or just saying 'yeah this feels true'.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Maybe an accusation will come out later that is more substantial than an anonymous Gawker comment. Right now though, it's like people have just decided that he's a rampant sex offender based on the interpretation of next to nothing.
Tig Notaro clearly believes it. She has been quite angry when interviewers ask about his involvement on the show, and has said he needs to address the issue, not to mention having a boss masturbate in front of an employee on her show, and bringing up stand up comedians who are like Harvey Weinstein on national tv last week. It's certainly true no one has accused Louie, and that Kirkman claimed she wasn't talking about him when she first brought it up. But the rumors are rife. If someone does come forward, it will definitely be described as another "everyone knew" situation.

Isn't it possible Tig was frustrated she was losing the spotlight in promoting her new show to field questions about a dude's jerk off habits?

Top Bottom