• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With worst possible timing Louis C.K.'s film I Love You, Daddy gets a trailer

neoanarch

Isn't it possible Tig was frustrated she was losing the spotlight in promoting her new show to field questions about a dude's jerk off habits?
Maybe. Disavowing him from the show and contact with him completely doesn't strike me as anything short of something to contemplate. Plus the Clown service thing is weird.

I'm so over Louis C.K. The last few seasons of his show were garbage, his recent standup is awful and this looks terrible and gross.

The narrative that Louie is some well established sexual deviant hasn’t ever really been substantiated in any significant way outside of vague, indirect statements by Tig and a bizzare recountment by Rosanne Barr that didn’t really include a source for the allegation and was more “Well, I’ve heard some stuff around town...” which is always dangerous for everyone involved since unsubstantiated claims of sexual misconduct could effectively ruin the lives of not only the accused but anyone who is incorrectly cited as an accuser.

I’m not defending him, not even really giving him the benefit of the doubt per say, just saying that we’re in a very sensitive time where justice is finally coming around to burn the asses of people who have gotten away with horrible things for too long but we shouldn’t let this situation cast a shadow over anyone and everyone who releases a divisive project that addresses themes like this, nor should we be so quick to immediately condemn people who, as of now, don’t currently have any active accusations posed against them.

Let’s keep our heads about us - issues like sexual harassment and assault are very, very serious and shouldn’t be handled with knee-jerk reactions. We can have a conversation about Louie and his body of work, past, present and future, if any allegations arise pointing a finger at him. Until then, I don’t see the point in actively condemning someone who hasn’t had so much as a proper accusation of wrongdoing leveled against them backed by any alleged victims.

I'm so over Louis C.K. The last few seasons of his show were garbage, his recent standup is awful and this looks terrible and gross.

I actually think the movie looks pretty interesting and his latest Netflix special was better than the few previous specials he did. IMO, of course.

This movie has been in the works for a while. Not anyone's fault that Harvey stuff happened at the same time the movie is coming out. It's no secret lots of older men with money date young women. Making too big of a deal out of this.

EDIT Whatever Works was pretty pretty pretty good.

Louie CK has a weird penchant of coming off as a pedo with his child molestation jokes. The SNL monologue made it even more glaring

Now this?

Zyae

I love how "rumors" about Louis turn into basically fact now? Theres no evidence of anything and there isnt the litany of accusations like there is with Cosby and Weinstein. Sentencing someone in the court of public opinion based on little to no information is almost as bad as denying victims.

Audioboxer

Louie CK has a weird penchant of coming off as a pedo with his child molestation jokes. The SNL monologue made it even more glaring

Now this?

Joking about paedophilia does not mean someone endorses paedophilia.

I have no idea how people still fail to understand satire in 2017. Most comedians that get commerical success and fame managed to do so by towing the line around jokes and getting large dopamine rushes out of audiences who "gasp" and "act shocked" around on the line jokes. People pay money to hear the most offensive stuff they can hear precisely because it tickles that funny bone on the line of being offended and laughing hysterically. Ignore the joke police for a minute and accept that is why black comedy is very popular (not referring to race here, black comedy as is highly offensive/crude comedy), as is satirizing and making jokes about the really awful things in the world.

If the litmus test in a society is because you joke about paedophilia that means you are a paedophile. Jesus. Coming off as a pedo? Is this some sort of modern-day thought crime via armchair analysis?

This is a great clip of Jimmy Carr trying to bundle together the most offensive jokes into one set piece, and no surprises its audience members who rush him to ask about the most offensive joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_HbqPpQDk

I love how "rumors" about Louis turn into basically fact now? Theres no evidence of anything and there isnt the litany of accusations like there is with Cosby and Weinstein. Sentencing someone in the court of public opinion based on little to no information is almost as bad as denying victims.
It's not substantiated and it's not fact. But there is a lot of smoke.

I just learned from the article that Louis CK directed Pootie Tang.

Wtf.

The hit single bit with silence was great. I also love how the whole premise is showing a clip of the movie to Bob Costas and it's just the whole film. Man I want to watch this again, it's been forever.

Chuckie

Louie CK has a weird penchant of coming off as a pedo with his child molestation jokes.

Lol seriously?

I guess people laughing at the jokes are probably child molesters too.
Child molesters everywhere! Who will think of the children? Or rather who will think a bit less about the children!

Am I missing something? What's so controversial about this trailer? Louie's character isn't dating a younger woman. It's Malkovich's character. Malkovich's character is clearly portrayed as the villain in this.

I just don't get how / why actors do this kind of stuff. I am not talking about morality at all, just ... commercial success.

I'm going to do a black and white movie about a 60-something Hollywood director dating the 17 year old daughter (just typing that is GROSS) of a successful TV writer (I'll be playing the writer). Regular people LOVE movies like this!!!! They love black and white movies!!!

More power to him I guess for pursuing whatever makes him happy, but I am not going to watch black and white movies and I am not going to watch movies that are about the trials and tribulations of Hollywood insiders, and yet I feel kinda weird saying I hate those kind of movies/shows, like its not normal? Has Big Hollywood programmed me?

Now this?

No offense, but why is this worth mentioning?

In the fight to end abuse, focusing on people who "seem like they could be abusers" is a distraction. That kind of speculation most often hurts innocent people and takes attention away from the real predators.

The best policy is to focus on the real, concrete allegations in any case of sexual misconduct.

Am I missing something? What's so controversial about this trailer? Louie's character isn't dating a younger woman. It's Malkovich's character. Malkovich's character is clearly portrayed as the villain in this.

It's making people uncomfortable. Some people don't like being uncomfortable.

Also, some people don't like Louis CK and want to express it publicly.

Top Bottom