• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie: "Destiny 2 uses a hybrid of client-server and peer-to-peer technology"

ethomaz

Banned
I am not sure what that guy is saying and I read it three times.

Is it the same system as Destiny 1? Are they saying the dedicated server is for your save file?
Destiny 1 the host is one of the players.
Destiny 2 the host is a server.

That is basically the difference.

renzolama

Bungie has a consistent track record of omission, misinformation, and obvious PR spin with their public messaging in Destiny. I don't doubt that their claims here regarding the increased network stability in Destiny 2 will probably be proven true, but I do think it's extremely convenient that this admission is occurring just long enough after the 4v4 global PVP limit announcement to divorce any immediate connection between the two.

Omni

Destiny 2 uses a hybrid of client-server and peer-to-peer technology, just like Destiny 1.

Just like Destiny 1? So nothing has changed?

Is this just spin? I don't quite get what these guys are talking about. At least from the quotes in the OP. Will read full thing when I get home, I guess

ethomaz

Banned

Is this just spin? I don't quite get what these guys are talking about. At least from the quotes in the OP. Will read full thing when I get home, I guess
Destiny 2 moved the host to server while Destiny 1 had one player being the host... so that is the difference.

As a player that go back to orbit to change the host for raids that means it won't work with Destiny 2 because the host will be the Bungie's servers.

And the possible lag between host and players probably won't happen anymore.

renzolama

No. In Destiny 1, it was bad. In Destiny 2, it will be good.

ethomaz

Banned
Wait a minute, even patrols?
Yes.

That is what the BWU said.

BTW in patrol you have one player being the host in Destiny 1... if you are alone of course it will be you... in Destiny 2 the servers will be the host.

Think like you will have always a hidden player being the host and that player is located in Bungie's servers.

So what exactly is the difference from Destiny 1 PvP?

Host migration issues being resolved but everything else staying the same?

I never remember host migration complaints among the litany of woes and expletives my friends would nag on about after subjecting themselves to PvP.

Bungie has a consistent track record of omission, misinformation, and obvious PR spin with their public messaging in Destiny. I don't doubt that their claims here regarding the increased network stability in Destiny 2 will probably be proven true, but I do think it's extremely convenient that this admission is occurring just long enough after the 4v4 global PVP limit announcement to divorce any immediate connection between the two.

So a week? What about the earlier announcement and thread we had about this exact topic only a few days after the event?

Did Bungie reference the power of the could? I'm pretty sure they did and not a single person freaked out or mocked them for it.

I too remember when a bunch of people with no experience whatsoever in networking or even game development laughed about the idea of using cloud computing to offload physics computations.

ethomaz

Banned
So what exactly is the difference from Destiny 1 PvP?

Host migration issues being resolved but everything else staying the same?
Again.

In Destiny 1 PVP (or any other activity) one of the players is choose to be the host of that activity.

In Destiny 2 PVP (or any other activity) the server is the host of that activity.

Neolombax

Yea...I suppose we'll have to experience this ourselves then. It sounds promising though. hopefully the beta will be able to tell.

ethomaz

Banned
Did Bungie reference the power of the could? I'm pretty sure they did and not a single person freaked out or mocked them for it.
Because anything using a server hosted on internet is called cloud.

People mocked MS because they tried to sell it like something new, revolutionary and better than it actually is.

I'm willing to bet 99 percent of my net worth it won't end up being that simple.
It is that simple... if it will work better or not we will need to see but at least go back orbit to change host ended.

PS. I didn't understand your comment very well too :)

Again.

In Destiny 1 PVP (or any other activity) one of the players is choose to be the host of that activity.

In Destiny 2 PVP (or any other activity) the server is the host of that activity.
Was host migration a big issue?

I don't think I've ever seen that happen in my time with Destiny, in any activity. Not that I noticed anyway.

The only weirdness I'd see in PvE was super long loads when transitioning areas (when riding a sparrow between two zones). And in PvP lag was my main problem, along with balance issues.

alt27

I don't think I've ever seen that happen in my time with Destiny, in any activity. Not that I noticed anyway.

The only weirdness I'd see in PvE was super long loads when transitioning areas (when riding a sparrow between two zones). And in PvP lag was my main problem, along with balance issues.

You could see it in PVP if you monitored the coloured bars of players during a particulary laggy match. Some players were taking damage as normal then a few moniutes later they were 'being difficult'. Its becuase the host rotated during the match

Xenoblade

Here's what I know: the lag in Destiny was atrocious for me. Unplayable even. This is despite being able to play Battlefield and CoD reasonably OK from my location. If Destiny 2's lag isn't like CoD and BF, I'm not playing it.

Sounds like it will solve the host migration problem, but not the lag problem. You know, the one that causes instances like this.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Ooccoo

The trend of no dedicated servers continue. It sucks. Devs are just cutting costs, P2P is so dependent on the host's connexion it's just not worth it.

Honestly I never had an connection problems when it came to PVE in Destiny. My main problem was PvP and dealing with kids rocking red bars in Trials. That shit needs to be sorted out. If your rocking a red bar then you should be disconnected from the match in PvP imo.

renzolama

Since OP chose not to include the next question/response in the post text:

Does this mean I'll never see a player warp around the map or shoot me through a wall again?

Matt: We think those controller-throwing lag-induced moments will be reduced for Destiny 2, but we can't promise they'll be eliminated. Fundamentally, we are trying to strike a balance between three hard problems: (1) make the game feel responsive, (2) make the game accessible to players all over the world, and (3) make the game fair for all. We'll continue to refine that balance as players engage with the Crucible in Destiny 2.

None of the "three hard problems" mentioned here justify the decision to go with a P2P hybrid over pure dedicated servers; all three can (and have been) solved equally or better by games that use a dedicated server infrastructure. I don't personally care, I'll buy Destiny 2 (maybe even double dip on PS4 and PC) and enjoy it, but the doublespeak in the Bungie messaging along with the readiness of fans to ignore and/or defend it is mildly infuriating.

So a week? What about the earlier announcement and thread we had about this exact topic only a few days after the event?
I was completely wrong about the timing on that information release, you're right. I don't think it invalidates my claim that the latest messaging is obfuscating the facts about the benefits of this network infrastructure choice though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well this sounds OK, but I guess we won't know until the beta if it's actually a decent solution or the same old P2P just with better PR.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The trend of no dedicated servers continue. It sucks. Devs are just cutting costs, P2P is so dependent on the host's connexion it's just not worth it.

Yet most gamers won't fix their routers and get SQM, your no better.

SQM is a practical real fix with real results and expecting devs to properly do dedicated servers and maintain them for a few years is just unrealistic.

ethomaz

Banned

I don't think I've ever seen that happen in my time with Destiny, in any activity.
Well it is a know issue with Destiny that host affect the overall connection of the team.

It is not hard to see people starting the raid alone, back to orbit, changing fireteam leader, etc just to change the host for a better one.

So yes migration of host is a issue because you can be near to kill a boss and the host change to one that lags everything to the point you get fucked up.

In PVP some players get even invincible during the match due host migration.

anothertech

We have a variety of top-secret strategies to ensure that the life of a cheater in Destiny 2 PC will be nasty, brutish, and short.
Music to my ears. Will be interesting to see if they really have something substantial in place for those that try to risk it.

That means you will never again suffer a host migration during your Raid attempt or Trials match. This differs from Destiny 1, where these hosting duties were performed by player consoles and only script and mission logic ran in the data center.
This is interesting. So more server side than D1. Wonder how much difference that will make.

MGrant

This allows us to give players the feeling of immediacy in all their moving and shooting – no matter where they live and no matter whom they choose to play with.

So much spin you could market it as a focus aid and sell it to a middle-schooler. It's complete bullshit of course.

ethomaz

Banned
None of the "three hard problems" mentioned here justify the decision to go with a P2P hybrid over pure dedicated servers; all three can (and have been) solved equally or better by games that use a dedicated server infrastructure. I don't personally care, I'll buy Destiny 2 (maybe even double dip on PS4 and PC) and enjoy it, but the doublespeak in the Bungie messaging along with the readiness of fans to ignore and/or defend it is mildly infuriating.
Not the first point.

Game lose responsive based in how is your connection with the dedicated server.

P2P not.

MrBenchmark

Wait a minute, even patrols?

yeah have you ever been on patrol and everything is great then all of a sudden you can't kill anything look in your menu and all of a sudden you see someone has joined you and must be on a string and two cups.

of my friends i always have everyone join me since i have the best setup of all my friends.

SRTtoZ

I'm optimist and Bungie doesn't seem like they are fucking around with Cheaters unlike Massive did with The Division, so hopefully the first time they get caught its a permanent ban.

I'm optimist and Bungie doesn't seem like they are fucking around with Cheaters unlike Massive did with The Division, so hopefully the first time they get caught its a permanent ban.

If Bungie was serious about cheaters then they'd ban all the Warlocks.

Q: Why peer-to-peer? Are we trying to save money?

A: Matt: Nope! We've invested heavily in new server infrastructure for Destiny 2, including using cloud servers for gameplay for the first time. We really believe this is the best model for all of Destiny 2's varied cooperative and competitive experiences. Engineering will always involve tradeoffs and cost-benefit analysis, but as a team we've got no regrets about the unique technology we've built for Destiny 2.

I'm so Dizzy, my head is spinning
Like a whirlpool, it never ends....

P2P is ALWAYS a money saving measure. Servers cost money, but they provide a superior, more consistent experience as a result (assuming you're even remotely close to one....which again, costs money to blanket the globe). P2P would be mostly fine for the Co-op portion, but in competitive MP, get outta here.

Kthulhu

Yet most gamers won't fix their routers and get SQM, your no better.

SQM is a practical real fix with real results and expecting devs to properly do dedicated servers and maintain them for a few years is just unrealistic.

It shouldn't be the consumers job to make up for a developer's mistake. Not to mention the vast majority of people don't even know what SQM is.

Stop shilling for a corporation. Stop defending things that actively make games worse.

I'd be ok if they dropped pvp and focused on pve. At least they wouldn't have deal with all these complaints. I enjoy the pvp on occasion but it's not what I come to destiny for.

The vast majority of the community is into PvP. Or at least the their most hardcore fans. Destiny's viewership on Twitch is entirely based around PvP. And Bungie will always be a PvP company at heart it's in their DNA.

LCGeek

formerly sane
So much spin you could market it as a focus aid and sell it to a middle-schooler. It's complete bullshit of course.

I can easily concur that line was grade 100% bullshit.

P2P and Dedicated face real latency issues the industry and gamers continue not to give a shit about.

The idea that after a group actually finds out why the internet has severe issues at times say for instance leaving your network accerletation technology on which delays your packets until enough has filled the buffer or activated the technology, people would stop for latency based applications. What's worse is none of you give a fuck that packet aggregation misshapes and bundles your data on top of adding more latency. What do I mean just look at the picture.

I seriously thought the movement was a joke years ago, but as they worked on the linux network stack or networking drivers I was amazed at the result produced. So I ask any gamer who cares about latency and response in fps shooter why would you gimp yourselves leaving shitty technology on that blimps and mishapes your packets then add latency. The minute I turn off all the TSO/GRO related networking tech my packets return back to 1514 or less and stop requiring my router to convert them adding more time on top of what aggregation requires. No this won't make you amazing but if you like a solid feel I can't imagine why people stay stuck in latency hell basically when you can get cheap ass routers, decent firmware and be free of such bs. Anything else is on your ISP or HOPs.

I'm amazed at how resilient the tcp/ip stack is with all the crap we do to it.

Bungie and most companies don't make their ISP use FQ_Codel or Cake so basically you will always face lag until they do so along with most gamers. FQ_Codel is built in to linux yet the problem now is most router are still using older kernels without such fixes or don't even turn the tech on. Outside of a few companies like riot most of the industry (99%) is ignorant and worse resistant that bufferbloat is real despite Van Jacobson discovering this issue in the 80s which lead to tcp/ip stack changes we enjoy now.

Op you buried the most important part here. Physics (this would cover all combat logic, hit detection etc) hosting is moving from p2p to being part of a dedicated server.

That's big! and it will probably address the biggest complaint of d1, invincible ghost dudes. A network programmer could correct me, but that brings it very close to how most dedicated servers handle it.

Why peer-to-peer? Are we trying to save money?
Matt: Nope! We've invested heavily in new server infrastructure for Destiny 2, including using cloud servers for gameplay for the first time. We really believe this is the best model for all of Destiny 2's varied cooperative and competitive experiences. Engineering will always involve tradeoffs and cost-benefit analysis, but as a team we’ve got no regrets about the unique technology we’ve built for Destiny 2.

They forgot "oh and to save money"

Bizazedo

Just about 3 months ago we had the For Honor devs telling us how their networking technology was this never before seen P2P implementation and how it was so good and what not. And of course, we know how that turned out (exactly as predicted).

Now you have Bungie trying the same thing. Telling us how client authoritative anything in multiplayer is a good idea. This will also turn out exactly the same way as every other P2P implementation has turned out. You either have dedicated servers or you don't. There is nothing in between.

Yep! Linked earlier, but..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1341196

For Honor Devs said:
"There’s been a lot of discussion around dedicated servers vs P2P. Can you talk through the decision there?

JV: One thing that is not entirely clear to people is that we don’t actually have a traditional peer to peer architecture. We have a new type of architecture that, while it’s sort of based on a peer to peer philosophy, is actually there in order for us to do this game with eight players active simultaneously and then these two hundred AI running at the same time.

We were thinking about what to call it, but it isn’t actually traditional peer to peer.
A lot of the complaints that I’m seeing online, not all of them but a lot of them, are actually just lag issues that have to do with normal network states.

That said, the game is built on that framework because without that framework there wouldn’t be a game. We wouldn’t be running the way that we are right now. I wish I could go into more detail.

At this point, it seems to be working the way that we anticipated. I’m not terribly concerned about the problem right now, but we’re going to continue to look at the needs of the player base as we move forward.

I think there’s often a sense within the community to read something off a spec sheet and then decide based on that whether something is good or bad, but then the implementation of that spec is often the far more important aspect of it. It sounds like your implementation of P2P ultimately is one that you’re happy with, even if on the sheet it technically says P2P.

JV: Yeah, we run on a thing called ‘the simulation’. The way that our network system is built is that it’s built around everything being 100% fair. So what you’re seeing is what I’m seeing at the same time, there’s no visual advantage in the game.

There’s no host advantage?

JV: There’s no host advantage. This is the part that is not well understood because our technology has not been used in the wild before on other games. We’ve been using it all along, but it’s not something the audience is familiar with.

In our peer to peer solution it’s not really peer to peer, it’s based on that.

There was this moment that was really important. Six or eight months into development I had this moment where these engineers came to me and said, “So, you want to do eight players running over a network and you wan to do that with two hundred AI, over a normal internet connection? This is your pitch?”

I said, “Yes.”

They say, “That’s impossible. I don’t know if you understand how networks work designer boy but that can’t be done.”

Fortunately I work with these incredibly bright bulbs...and they come back a couple of months later with this thing called a simulation and they took a bunch of white papers for Siggraph which they assembled it into this new way of doing networking code, but when communicating it as a peer to peer model the problems with the other implementations kind of scare people, which is perfectly reasonable.

Spoiler. It was horrible.

Top Bottom