• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

i-Lo

Are you saying those 4GB are for VRAM only? If so then you're insane.

512MB GDDR3 was used in the 360. GDDR is used as VRAM because of its speed and low latency. The current rumour pegs the expensive GDDR5 to be a single pool (UMA) in PS4 amounting to 4GB. The percentage to be used for gfx and system related functions would be the developer's prerogative.

IMHO Sony has spoken too much about stacking not to go DDR4 stacked. Then again I don't know anything about the hardware yet.

I've been wanting to know how expensive would DDR4 be versus GDDR5 and DDR3, and how fast could it reasonably be. Would 6GB of unified DDR4 be good? 5GB?

Using so few cores sounds weird though. After Cell, you would imagine Sony's first party are used to using several threads in an efficient and effective way, no?

goomba

Banned
That's right, we don't know. On paper, GDDR5 looks better, faster memory, but we don't know yet what of two is stronger.

I really think both will be very similar.

Source? most rumors point to 8GB (12GB devkit).

No source I don't give a shit about rumors , I'm merely stating the minimum amount of RAM that I would accept as a baseline for "next gen" consoles.

I'm not sure they need to, get the machine out in NA and the UK as fast as possible and they can go from there.

Edit: I'm talking about both consoles.

I would hope that for once they actually launched in mainland Europe first. Reward us for supporting PlayStation brand even trough its dark times! Hell even PSP still sells decently here (dat 99€ price point).

Perkel

Banned
This company which will deliver more and better exclusives as fast as possible will win. If anything this generation proved that who is first/last who has name and how much marketshare it had is worthless.

My bet is Sony. They did their homework and they expanded their studios. And a lot of Sony dev studios are now creating games for next gen console from Sony.

GT6, Uncharted 4, New IP from GG, Other QD project, Media Molecule project and many more have more than 2 years of dev time before PS4 release.

As of hardware. If rumor is true 4GB of GDDR5 would be sweet spot combined with 4GB DD3 memory.

Proelite

Unless they mean 'true prototype' dev kits, which would make more sense i.e. would make more sense for them to get them first, but if they only got ANY dev kits 12 months after other devs...that would make no sense.
It's devkits made for Sony engineers to write their Operating OS ala Metro / blades, ehih probably means hardware is finalized and locked down. Game developers had devkits with the game handling OS ready a long one ago.

elcapitan

Other than the hardware, I can't wait to see what kind of launch software they have lined up., especially since many of their 1st-party studios have been quiet lately. It's gonna be a blowout come E3.

This company which will deliver more and better exclusives as fast as possible will win. If anything this generation proved that who is first/last who has name and how much marketshare it had is worthless.

My bet is Sony. They did their homework and they expanded their studios. And a lot of Sony dev studios are now creating games for next gen console from Sony.

GT6, Uncharted 4, New IP from GG, Other QD project, Media Molecule project and many more have more than 2 years of dev time before PS4 release.

As of hardware. If rumor is true 4GB of GDDR5 would be sweet spot combined with 4GB DD3 memory.

I agree. I feel that Sony will want to be the gaming company, in the living space. MS wants to be the entertainment hub in the living space. It depends on each consumer and what they prioritize.

Using so few cores sounds weird though. After Cell, you would imagine Sony's first party are used to using several threads in an efficient and effective way, no?

It must be deja vu for developers like naughty dog who had to throw away all their code when jumping from last gen to ps3.

Ken promised his first party teams that the cell would be future proof and a scalable architecture meaning they could improve on it and gain notible power performance improvements.

So it must be galling to sony's top tier teams to hear these sort of stuff. ofcourse the rumours could all be wrong and you would have a new more powerful faster version of the cell in the ps4 which would then mean great launch games from the get go and gran turismo being out in the first few years of the ps4

If both launch this year I'm budgeting 1500 dollars for gaming. PopcornMegaphone is hungry and it's time to eat.

Mike is hungry too..he wants to eat. 2 spoons required for this entree

spoon.gif

maybe the industry needs that.

it'll be a main stream news story for sure

That's a great point. Generate hype where the console arena is lacking.

Getting both the Durango and Orbis is the only way to go. Orbis for its exclusives. Durango for third party and for Halo, Destiny, and whatever other first party games it has to offer.
And yes, I know Destiny is not exclusive

Perkel

Banned
Other than the hardware, I can't wait to see what kind of launch software they have lined up., especially since many of their 1st-party studios have been quiet lately. It's gonna be a blowout come E3.

Yeah that is the biggest unknown. Almost all their studios now are creating nextgen games for more than 2 years. If they will deliver GT6 at lunch it will be mayor boost in sales and a lot of early adopters.

And finally industry will move on from this gen.

512MB GDDR3 was used in the 360. GDDR is used as VRAM because of its speed and low latency. The current rumour pegs the expensive GDDR5 to be a single pool (UMA) in PS4 amounting to 4GB. The percentage to be used for gfx and system related functions would be the developer's prerogative.

Exactly, and that's all it had, (well and the 10mb edram). He's saying there will be aditional RAM besides the 4GB GDDR5 and this one will be used exclusively as VRAM.

i-Lo

Exactly, and that's all it had, (well and the 10mb edram). He's saying there will be aditional RAM besides the 4GB GDDR5.

Oh ok. Yea, this is the reason people are uneasy about how much the OS might potentially take up of this precious resource in the beginning (because inevitably, like in this gen, Sony will work to continually reduce its footprint). I am hoping it being not north of 256MB (given what has been accomplished with 50MB which came down from a whopping 120MB at the beginning of the gen... imagine that) unless it features some dedicated hardware like kinect that would be ram hog. If that's the case, then I assume they opt to go the way of MS.

Orayn

But that PLUS 4GB GDDR5 dedicated as VRAM is just wishful thinking. There's no way that's happening.

You're getting it backwards, I think. No one is saying that the GDDR5 is going to be dedicated VRAM.

Your in the wrong hobby son

Right hobby, just different priorities. I have no problem with power, since I'm typing this post from an gaming computer with an i5 2500k and HD7870.

Raoh

For the record, what I'm actually expecting is a moderately beastly $400 base SKU, sold at a loss but not a horrific one like the PS3.

I can see that. If at all possible I could see them trying to squeeze out no profit and no loss per console lost. One of Sony's expenses, just like Apple, is higher end parts. Microsoft, Samsung, etc all have cheaper plastic, metal etc compared to Sony/Apple.

It would be weird to see a cheap product from either but even Apple is rumored to be working on a cheaper iPhone. This is something Sony must also be considering when considering where to cut costs. The Slim 2.0 hints that they will entertain that idea.

I don't see a scenario where Sony launches in Japan first. Worldwide studios is heavily western based, and more content will be ready. If anything, the lack of Japan development will hurt the launch in Japan.

Europe may be the new battle ground. Sony owns Japan (not including Nintendo in this match up) and Microsoft owns America. Europe seems like a a good place to start a console invasion.

I'd argue that 1st person title preference should be the only driving factor in everyone's next gen console decision. For the first time, in a long time, 3rd party titles will be best on PC with Durango and Obis running ports (as compared to the current practice of the PC getting the port).

There is no way in hell i will be playing Star Wars 1313 or Watch Dogs on a console.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'm gonna hold fast (reluctantly) to my Xbox 720 @ launch, PS4 after launch. Still, imagining both Microsoft and Sony unveiling new systems at E3 is mind-blowing. I'm gonna find a way to go this year if that's the case, especially since I now only live about 30 miles away.

"The PS4 has less RAM but is using faster GDDR ram, so the overall performance should be a wash."

What this mean?

I dont understand tech, is one more significantly more powerful? Will Sony be crippled by RAM again? Multitasking sounds important. Will third party play to any strengths of systems or serve the lowest common denominator?

btkadams

"The PS4 has less RAM but is using faster GDDR ram, so the overall performance should be a wash."

What this mean?

I dont understand tech, is one more significantly more powerful? Will Sony be crippled by RAM again? Multitasking sounds important. Will third party play to any strengths of systems or serve the lowest common denominator?

yeah i didn't understand that at all either.

Karak

What this mean?

One is faster than the other and if MS doesn't use another kind of memory architecture it will have more but slower ram and some edram(like the 360) for speed. Many guesses as to the size that will be. It will be VERY interesting seeing what games run a particular way on each system. Even more interesting if its true that the Orbis has 4G's of GDDR and no additional ram. Simply due to OS needs and the growth you can expect there in the years to come.

But currently, right now, these are just rumors and the specs are just specs. It is a great boon to everyone right now but there are a good deal of unknowns.

UberTag

Microsoft will definitely have a subsidized 250 or 300 dollar system but I'm not sure if Sony will do that with playstation plus.
I doubt they could if they wanted to. Plus notwithstanding their userbase isn't conditioned to paying a monthly fee on a regular basis the way the XBL crowd is.

At best, I can see them doing something similar to what they've done with the Vita. The up-front cost won't go down but they'll bundle in a certain amount of Plus for free.

You're getting it backwards, I think. No one is saying that the GDDR5 is going to be dedicated VRAM.

You need to go and read up on what GDDR is actually used for.

4 GB of GDDR5 is MORE than enough. My bets are that it'll actually end up with 2 GB, though, cause 4 GB of GDDR5 would be pretty insane.

I'm looking at upgrading my graphics card to a GTX 670 pretty soon, and that's going to cost me about $300~ or so and that only has 2 GB of GDDR5.

There's going to be separate memory in the system for the OS / system processes.

Say what?

i-Lo

One is faster than the other and if MS doesn't use another kind of memory architecture if will have more but slower ram and then edram(like the 360). It will be VERY interesting seeing what games run a particular way on each system. Even more interesting if its true that the Orbis has 4 GDDR and no additional ram. Simply due to OS needs and the growth you can expect there.

But currently, right now, these are just rumors and the specs are just specs. It is a great boon to everyone.

Lest we forget, techniques used to effectively and efficiently stream textures off of the HDD and other methods employed to get around RAM limitations would be carried over and advanced once again. And this time, both XB3 and PS4 most likely will possess a HDD.

meta4

Oh man this is exciting. Next gen GOW and GeOW is going to be soooo insane!

I just want to imagine GAF's reaction if both Sony and MS do not announce their new consoles at E3. There will be a internet crash.

Shion

But that PLUS 4GB GDDR5 dedicated as VRAM is just wishful thinking. There's no way that's happening.
But using GDDR5 for OS tasks doesn't make sense. Why would they go that route?

If they don't include a different pool of RAM dedicated to the OS, then, I can see these 4GB of RAM being divided into 2/3GB of GDDR5 + 2/1GB of DDR3.

olimpia84

If it's priced right and Sony maintains the same late-PS3 cycle approach in terms of software and new IPs I'll be there day zero.

and binary domain, halo 4, mark of the ninja, fez, journey, unfinished swan, dust: an elysian tale, walking dead, forza horizon, etc, etc, etc.

2012 was a great year for gaming. I really don't understand why anyone would claim or argue it was bad / terrible.

yea I guess you are right, I just didn't have time for games in 2012 :/

Karak

If they don't include a different pool of RAM dedicated to the OS, then, I can see these 4GB of RAM being divided into 2/3GB of GDDR5 + 2/1GB of DDR3.

If they have a bare bones OS they may just take that hit. It is a unique decision if they stick to just the 4. But who knows. Interesting tech decisions going on right now.

360 did it. What was wrong with that?

Top Bottom