• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Jucksalbe

Banned
Are we going to do the SMT anniversary thread any time soon?

I don't know, would be nice to have the thread still going when Golden comes out. But I guess a lot of people will have more time during the summer break and going by the FF thread this will go on for quite some time anyway (let's hope Heropon likes SMT). Who's going to make the thread?

Aeana

I regret not having any capture equipment anymore, so it's hard to do the screenshotty commentary thing, but I've already jumped the gun and started playing Raidou 1, which is kinda why I asked. I don't really care who makes the thread, it doesn't really matter.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I regret not having any capture equipment anymore, so it's hard to do the screenshotty commentary thing, but I've already jumped the gun and started playing Raidou 1, which is kinda why I asked.

Did you just say in the FF thread that you wanted to get back to FF? ;)

I don't really care who makes the thread, it doesn't really matter.

Of course. It's more that you wouldn't want to have several people preparing a thread at the same time. How about this? I will make a draft later on and will post the thread as soon as possible (I at least would want to put some release information about the games in the OP this time). I might have some questions about some games, I hope you don't mind if I send you a PM from time to time.
Anyone have an idea for a good title?

Fou-Lu

I think it's time for me to finally finish a Megaten game, I've bought quite a few of them, but never completed a single one. I have Nocturne, Persona 3 and 4, Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, and Digital Devil Saga. Not sure which I'm going to go with for my first completion, but summer seems like a good time for it.

Aeana

Did you just say in the FF thread that you wanted to get back to FF? ;)

Of course. It's more that you wouldn't want to have several people preparing a thread at the same time. How about this? I will make a draft later on and will post the thread as soon as possible (I at least would want to put some release information about the games in the OP this time). I might have some questions about some games, I hope you don't mind if I send you a PM from time to time.
Anyone have an idea for a good title?
I said I could. I don't really feel like it.
All of these years of playing FF games over and over has finally taken its toll, I think. I've done this same thing several times in the last couple of years and I'm just not in an FF mood lately. I'll finish, but I have until the end of the year. For SMT, I'm just gonna play what I want to.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Which of the games actually have completed fan translations? Is it really just SMT1, SMT2 and Last Bible 2?

Edit: And Innocent Sin, of course.

cj_iwakura

I wouldn't mind doing it(In fact I'd love to), but I do kind of have a monopoly on them as of late. I could write up a pretty thorough history too.

What I would need help with are image stuffs. Vally's usually my partner in crime on that.

And there's also Innocent Sin and Soul Hackers and If as fan translations go.

The last two are in the works, but I have resources I can share if someone wants to play them raw(which I have).

Jucksalbe

Banned
I wouldn't mind doing it(In fact I'd love to), but I do kind of have a monopoly on them as of late. I could write up a pretty thorough history too.

I'm already working on it. :)
A thorough history would probably a bit much. I'm more trying to show people what games they could play (well, the main ones, this series with its spin-offs is just too big), what versions exist and help with how they can take screenshots.
I will of course link to all the threads you created.

What I would need help with are image stuffs. Vally's usually my partner in crime on that.

I could need some images. Not much and mainly of packaging, since most people will post lots of in-game screenshots anyway.

And there's also Innocent Sin and Soul Hackers and If as fan translations go.

The last two are in the works, but I have resources I can share if someone wants to play them raw(which I have).

At least Innocent Sin has an alternative now, Soul Hackers will (hopefully) soon have one, too. "If" is the big one, that's missing. Did they ever continue to work on the translation for Kyuuyaku? Last updates I found were from 2009.

cj_iwakura

I don't know about Kyuuyaku, but I do know the Famicom version of MT1 is still in the works. I know the hacker on it, and I have a very rough beta.

Will this just be about the main series and its immediate spinoffs, I.E. 1-3, SJ, If, etc, or everything? The latter is a bit daunting, the former is more reasonable for anniversary playthroughs.

As for a title, uh... Gotta Summon 'Em All?

I got nothing.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Will this just be about the main series and its immediate spinoffs, I.E. 1-3, SJ, If, etc, or everything? The latter is a bit daunting, the former is more reasonable for anniversary playthroughs.

This is more like: play what you want that's somehow connected to the series and show and tell as much as you can from your playthrough. That's how I took it in the FF thread and I think it's the best way to look at it. It gives the opportunity to have lots of different games discussed. Playing them in chronological order only leads to people posting lots of the same stuff over and over.

As for a title, uh... Gotta Summon 'Em All?

Haha, I haven't come up with anything yet either. I would like to keep the "In Honor" line from the FF thread to show that this is supposed to be similar.

cj_iwakura

Screens from pretty much every game in the series are here, if you need them:
hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten.htm

daemissary

This generation of consoles has been so RPG depleted that just seeing this topic title made my mouth water. I want them to make a SMT HD collection so bad...even if it was just Nocturne, DDS 1 and DDS 2.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Screens from pretty much every game in the series are here, if you need them:
hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten.htm

Thanks, I didn't know if I could just use them.

I thought about doing images like this for the games:

tn7Sub.png

But I guess this wouldn't show the game prominently enough.

cj_iwakura

Thanks, I didn't know if I could just use them.

You have (one of) the author's permission. ;)

I thought about doing images like this for the games:

tn7Sub.png

But I guess this wouldn't show the game prominently enough.

That's awesome. For SMT1(which will be the game I select for the thread), I'd at least show the different versions, but I doubt anyone here would play anything but the translated version; SNES/SFC.

Jucksalbe

Banned
That's awesome. For SMT1(which will be the game I select for the thread), I'd at least show the different versions, but I doubt anyone here would play anything but the translated version; SNES/SFC.
Yeah, I would have loved to, but I only own the SFC version.

cj_iwakura

Well that's interesting.

I had bought a copy of the SMT1 Kaneko Works artbook from a seller, and...got the Kaneko Pandemonium Works; basically a huge book of just demon art.

:(

Jucksalbe

Banned
There isn't maybe an official anniversary banner for the series?

Edit: How about "In honor of 25 years of demon summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series"? (yes, that's purposely close to Aeana's title, too close?)

Aeana

Sounds fine to me!
I'm definitely gonna replay MT2. It was my first RPG ever, but I haven't actually replayed it since the mid 90s when I got Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei. I found the index cards with the maps I made in my parents' storage room a couple of years ago, which was pretty cool. I'm gonna have to get them out again.

randomkid

Aw man, it'd be pretty neat to read running impressions on all the games I've already beaten, but even with images turned off and certain posters on ignore I'd probably get spoiled silly on stuff I want to try out if I participated in the playthrough thread.

Ah well, have fun everyone.

Aeana

Aw man, it'd be pretty neat to read running impressions on all the games I've already beaten, but even with images turned off and certain posters on ignore I'd probably get spoiled silly on stuff I want to try out if I participated in the playthrough thread.

Well, I can try not to do any spoiling.

Jucksalbe

Banned

I will try to keep an up to date summary in the second and third post. Kinda like this, so you can just read about the games you already played.

randomkid

I will try to keep an up to date summary in the second and third post. Kinda like this, so you can just read about the games you already played.

Oh wow, awesome, yeah that'd work pretty nicely I think. I'm basically only worried about things that haven't already officially been released in English (and EP), so the note in the OP about "important scenes" being "discussed freely" had me scared haha.

I've got a stupidly broad definition of spoilers (I still don't really know who's in the cast of Eternal Punishment) but I'll keep taking peeks if you're really keeping a summary updated. Thanks!

NEO0MJ

A newbie to the series here. I just bought Persona 3 off PSN but I need to make sure of something. Is it in anyway connected to the first two persona games plot-wise?

cj_iwakura

Yep, tiny reference to a corporation from P2. And a few cameos when Trish interviews them on their birthdays on the TV.

7threst

In the credits to the Persona 4 movie the Factor of Hope, which is an abridged version of the animation, there seems to be a Persona 3 movie in the works:

This just in: Persona 3 will be getting a movie!

According to tweets from movie-goers who’ve seen the Persona 4 movie (released in Japanese cinemas today), at the end of the movie’s credits or staff roll there was a short clip announcing that Persona 3 would be getting a theatrical release as well.

In the announcement clip, a calendar is shown being navigated back in time to two years before Persona 4, to the start of P3.

http://sgcafe.com/2012/06/persona-3...nounced-after-the-credits-in-persona-4-movie/

Interesting!

Kazzy

In the credits to the Persona 4 movie the Factor of Hope, which is an abridged version of the animation, there seems to be a Persona 3 movie in the works:

http://sgcafe.com/2012/06/persona-3...nounced-after-the-credits-in-persona-4-movie/

Interesting!

I'd be curious to see how that works. I always felt that Persona 3 had a cool setting and cast of characters, but it had huge lulls in its storytelling. Anyone who has replayed the games can probably attest to that, Persona 4 being the much better paced of the two.

cj_iwakura

I disagree actually; I think P3 has much stronger pacing. The overall plot of P3 is far more dire than a couple people turning up dead.

P4's story is more intimate, but P3's definitely has more drive to it.

On NG+, P4 drags like crazy, P3 keeps the momentum. Not sure if a film would work, but I'm not opposed to it.

The only real failing in P3 were Strega's wasted potential. Awesome characters, weak execution.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only real failing in P3 were Strega's wasted potential. Awesome characters, weak execution.

I still don't really get Strega's purpose. They were under the Kirijo headman?

Also playing FES and Portable's Journey/Episode: Yourself's are really jarring. I like that I can at least somewhat understand the anime cut scenes now, but the lack of them (and some portraits) in the portable version is bad. :( It's still a good port given they couldn't fit the whole of FES (and the new female character) into a UMD and had to cut corners for the PSP hardware, but still... if they remade the PS2 version (and upped the graphics like the Golden/P4) on the PSP2 I think that would be the best version of the game, really.

I also don't recall a huge blinking PLAYER ADVANTAGE in FES. It seems they took the GUI of P4 and just colored it blue which is both a good (in terms of improvement) and bad (because I'm so used to FES's idiosyncrasies...) thing.

Jessicat

Hey everyone! Finally got my account activated over here, so now I have one more place to chat about SMT! :D
...because I don't know of any other forums specific to the franchise that are still alive [that reminds me, DDDB is overdue for it's yearly news update x.x]

And now my SMT intro:
The first SMT game I ever played was Demikids; Pokemon Emerald was a disappointment, but I got hooked on these games [found them "digitally" at first, but then I needed to buy the actual games to have them on the go, lol]. Picked up Nocturne later because it had the same SMT name, and I figured it would be similar only "with less cute". Been pretty much hooked ever since :p I can tell just how many people never played that game when they went crazy over Frost Ace's appearance in Strange Journey XD
^screenshot from the 90's anime...now I feel like a hipster, rofl

I've recently been playing Raidou 2 [still haven't beaten it yet, freaking backlog ;>>], somewhere in Chapter 5, going through that 5-point summoning thing. I have a feeling I might be over-levelled ^^;

I have too many favourite demons, but I guess my top 3 would be the Nagas and Barong~

I should reorganize my shelves so I can take a nice pic of my SMT game collection ^^; I have nowhere near every game, but I do have most of the N. American releases and a couple of Japanese ones [DDS:AT, Raidou Vs. King Abaddon with Nocturne Chronicle, and just got non-Maniacs Nocturne] Speaking of collections, would there be any interest in chatting about SMT-related merchandise, or would that be posted somewhere else? o_O [neogaf newb alert X3]

Jessicat

yo jessicat everyone's chattin over here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475725

you can post obscure hipsterish megaten stuff there
I'm watching that thread too, I thought it was just there for the "let's play" type stuff instead of general SMT discussion, and since I play my games legally I don't have a quick way to screencap to participate in that either XD [also my phone crashes nearly every time I go in there because pic spam x.x] oh well ._.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm 3 hours in Devil Survivor 2 and loving it. And on April Soul Hackers? So goooood.

I hope there's also an official date for SMTIV by then.

Tenrius

After a very long hiatus, I'm continuing my SMT: Nocturne playthough. I'm about 48 hours into the game and at level 56, just killed the pale rider. Nice to see its graphical style again, one of my favourite games on the PS2 graphics-wise.

It's a pity SMT IV is going down Strange Journey's road (at least from the screenshots I've seen) with its graphics and overall aesthetics, I'd rather prefer them returning to that old PS2-era stylish 3D.

I feel conflicted. On one hand, SJ was baller. on the other, Nocturne sure was somethin...

...I wish this topic was as alive as the Persona one :(

Tenrius

Yoyogi Park is pretty much a cakewalk so far, most of those fairies don't stand a chance against my team and the puzzles are easy (but slightly annoying). The game seems to be approaching its conclusion, it was such an awesome ride. It's funny that my Hito-shura became a Zealot somehow, not sure why, don't recall choosing that many Law options.

I feel conflicted. On one hand, SJ was baller. on the other, Nocturne sure was somethin...

...I wish this topic was as alive as the Persona one :(

Well, I like SJ, but I didn't really like how most of the locations looked like, for one reason or another. It did a really good job with its Demonica interface thing and the demons which are excellent, if a bit low-key.

Jessicat

Time to kick-start this thread again [maybe], thought I'd post this news here since it's SMT-related;
The next demon in the FuRyu Real Figure line has been revealed! It's Satan!
Apparently it's almost 30cm/12" tall! o.o
Release Date: August 31, 2013
Pre-Order Link: Big in Japan
Source: Plastikitty

I have most of the figures from this set [except Thor, hes not cool enough :B], not sure if I want this obnoxiously huge beast sitting with the rest of my collection or not....and the shipping will be expensive too...I'll wait it out XD

Oh! And since I don't know if Devil Survivor has it's own comm. thread, there's an artbook being released in English this June:

Devil Survivor: Official Material Collection
Pre-Order Link: Amazon.ca | Amazon.com

...Does anyone else here collect SMT merchandise? Maybe? I can't be the only one ^^;

Labadal

Euro fans: Devil Survivor will release sometime in late March according to Ghostlight's blog. Amazon also changed the release date for my pre-ordered copy to March.

So I booted up Strange Journey and I'm so confused. I haven't played it in about a year. My game file says 44 hrs. I'm so tempted to start over...but I don't know if I'm up to it again.

Tenrius

So I booted up Strange Journey and I'm so confused. I haven't played it in about a year. My game file says 44 hrs. I'm so tempted to start over...but I don't know if I'm up to it again.

Why not just continue your game? Catching up isn't as hard as it seems to be.

I'm curious in playing the Devil Summoner games on PS2, so I was hoping that I'd be able to get them off Amazon for $20 for a new copy like some of Atlus' other PS2 games, however, as the ludicrous price tags to both, Vs The Soulless Army and Vs King Abaddon go to show, that doesn't seem likely. Would anyone know of any cheaper alternatives where I could get these games, preferably not Ebay?

Why not just continue your game? Catching up isn't as hard as it seems to be.

I'm in Grus(?) apparently. Dont know what my objectives are. All enemies are slaughtering me. Ugh, looking at a FAQ the maps for this world looking pretty annoying. As much as I love SJ, it really isn't that fun to explore.

I think I'll tackle Devil Survivor 2 instead.

Jessicat

I swear I remember seeing a thread regarding this topic somewhere before, but here's further proof ATLUS is reprinting Devil Summoner Raidou vs The Souless Army!
VGP is one of the featured retailers seen in the Atlus Faithful newsletters, and is Canadian :3
If I hadn't pre-ordered it the first time around I'd nab a copy now XD And at $30 that's a sweet deal, (anyone remember when PS2 games were like, $60-$70? Those were the days, lol) scalpers on ebay are getting pretty ridiculous ._.;

Top Bottom