• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is the worst game you've ever played?

Eblo

Probably some forgettable Atari plug'n'play thing. Even Sonic 06 ranks higher thanks to the entertainment factor.

adj_noun

dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-usa.png

This was the thing that taught me a cool looking package does not necessarily mean a good product.

At least I only rented it.

Kgamer314

Neo Member
Brink is a fine contender for the title. As is Fable III, from what I can recall of the last couple generations. The real answer is probably something from the PS1-era that I rented and have thankfully forgotten.

The worst one I've ever inflicted on anyone else is X-Men: Destiny. My brother will never forgive me.

I really can't remember a single game I've downright hated. Maybe I'm good at knowing what I'll enjoy.

I could say Ecco The Dolphin because it was so ambiguous and I had no idea how to progress past the first 15 minutes or so. I keep meaning to go back to it after all these years.

Good one. One of the few games my parents ever bought for me on the NES (they owned a video store, so renting was basically "free"), because I thought the cover was so awesome. I think I ended up telling them to just take it down to the store and rent it out.

BasilZero

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

The worst game I have ever played

Short, repetitive and very poorly made with 6th gen visuals in a game that came out in the last 5 years

muteki

I remember a jrpg on Dreamcast that I had that I thought was the worst at the time. I don't remember the exact title but based on the cover art it was probably Time Stalkers.

Comet

I mean... it's totally Superman 64. I remember watching videos of it on IGN (may have still been N64.com back then) and being so hyped for a 3D Superman game where you could fly and pick up cars. I was a fool.

Artanisix

FF13 is a disgrace and by far the worst thing I've ever played -- largely because of the gap between expectations and reality.

Thud

Wii Music and Earthworm Jim 3D come to mind.

Mainly the controls.

Scratch that. Hercules on the gameboy is the worst game I ever played. It's very compelling to play tho.

Stoze

I played a lot of Toy Story for Gameboy when I was a kid because that and Mario Land were basically all I had for a while. I haven't played it since but I'm pretty sure it was complete crap.

Griss

All the buggy crap I played on the NES and N64 I've forgotten by now, and never played more than a minute or two of it anyway.

Of games I can remember and actually put some effort into, I'd say Binding of Isaac and Yoshi's Island DS are the first two that come into my mind. I have strong memories of how viciously I disliked the experience of playing those two. When I think of my top 5 hated games, they're ones that will always immediately pop into my head.

So yeah. One of them.

Nicktoons Unite on the DS - shit controls, poor level layout, and an infuriating near-unbeatable boss fight that pissed off younger me so much.

Fuck you, Plankton.

That piece of shit Simpsons game on NES always sticks out when people ask this question, but I'm pretty sure I played worse on NES or Atari.

QOPNa43.jpg

I guess it sticks out because I was a huge Simpsons fan as a kid so I stuck to it and kept playing it. Or trying to anyways.

Pinky

Banned
This was the thing that taught me a cool looking package does not necessarily mean a good product.

At least I only rented it.

Good one. One of the few games my parents ever bought for me on the NES (they owned a video store, so renting was basically "free"), because I thought the cover was so awesome. I think I ended up telling them to just take it down to the store and rent it out.

I never owned it(thank God), but I have made it to the final level(don't ask me how). Truly a horrendous game or, as I refer to it, a hazardous walking simulator.

Ah ha! I knew what this was before I clicked on it. One of my favorites!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Personally, the worst game experience I had was GTA5. It is just random shit. The GPS-line fetish the missions designers had must be dangerous. Among the worst games where I am not alone in my opinion they are shit are Sonic 06, Sonic Black Knight (which is worse than 06 imo), Sonic RPG (worse than 06), Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric (worse than 06), Sonic Blast (worse than 06), Sonic 3D Blast (worse than 06) and Tenkai Knights (worse than all the bad Sonic games).

Super Mario Sunshine.

Why? Because the controls don't gel that well with me.
funny, i just played through the game again and had a lot more fun than i did before, maybe cause i was using a wiiu pro controller over the gc controller, caused it controlled better than i expected

Croash

Assuming "worst" takes into account feelings before, during and after a playthrough...

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2.

Never before have I hated a game so much after loving its demo passionately. To me, it was even worse than Devil May Cry 2 as far as sequels go.

Now if "worst" is more about a really janky, "how was this approved?" kind of game...

Quantum Theory.

Oh boy. Played it for the laughs on Dec. 21 2012, tried to do it in one sitting while the real world was supposed to explode, quit at 6 am because I was too tired to go on. Turned out I quit in the middle of the final boss fight, ha! A bland, yet memorable experience.

And if it's about torturing yourself, about a game that I NEVER, EVER, want to play through again...

Alice: Madness Returns.

You can't force me, no! NoOoOOoo!!!!

🤔

You know what, forget all I said. The only answer here is Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta. Move along, Uncharted, there's a new franchise in town!
Wahahahahahey at least they tried.

tempys

Neo Member
Uncanny X-Men on the NES. I saved up for awhile for that being a big comics fan and was soooo angry. I think that game caused me to mostly rent games for the rest of the NES and SNES era

joecanada

NES in retrospect had some bad QC....

Pitfighter NES - rented this and played maybe an hour as a kid.

Spyhunter NES - was actually kind of fun but I've searched everywhere, pretty sure it just looped never ended at all.........

Wii - my gf had a bunch of those Disney movie games for wii like shrek they are bad.

These days I'm pretty picky about purchases so lately

Dragons Age 2 - short, boring, repetitive, easy, small, uninspired, simplistic

COD AW - this was the game that was going to get me back into COD, instead I've never played again.

If I had to pick one - Pitfighter . even at like 14 years old I remember thinking how is this even a game?

I had a ZX Spectrum when I was young. There were a lot of really shit games. Even as a 10 year old to whom the Speccy was pretty much all I knew, they were shit.

There were myriad really shitty licensed games - here are a few that I remember being awful:

819844a5-c4e4-4499-8ccb-d54e7df46259.jpg

knight-rider-street-hawk.jpg

Miami_Vice_Cover.jpg

It's still this

1136990345-00-10351.jpg

Your worst games have nothing on this one, I saved money for months as a kid to buy it, even Nintendo Power pimped it like it was the second coming of Christ. I lost my innocence the day I played it and understood that day bad videogames could also exist.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
probably one of the endless bundle fodder trash ive been cleasing off my Steam list recently, shit I try for a minute and go "good lord o_O"

Its why its always annoying when some smartass goes "lol ass Effect 3 is the worst game ever" (or whatever big game you want to shit on)

L Thammy

Honestly, the shittiest game is probably something so unmemorable that I forgot about it. But it might have been Ultimuh.

ultimuh-mcmlxvii-part3rxtk.png

You move to the right, bump into an enemy, then hit the button until it dies. Then you repeat. That's the entire game. You can't even die.

Look into the terrible games of my childhood and tremble.

Theosmeo

Personally Skyward Sword, I also see why people are as offended with Zero Time Dilemma as they were but I wasn't that offended.

Unicorn

This is mine, exactly. BL2 was such a disappointment.
Why? It improved so much from BL1. My only gripe was no Old Haven type area to farm. Most areas were really open and enemies making a straight dash to you was more evident.
Story was shot, but the first game didn't even have one so..

That piece of shit Simpsons game on NES always sticks out when people ask this question, but I'm pretty sure I played worse on NES or Atari.

QOPNa43.jpg

I guess it sticks out because I was a huge Simpsons fan as a kid so I stuck to it and kept playing it. Or trying to anyways.

There's a recent Retronauts episode about this. It helped me come to grips with getting this game as a kid and hating it.

uberTerminus

Neo Member
Two Worlds was the absolute worst game I have played. The visuals were terrible, the frame rate was a slideshow, and the story was not compelling.

Top Bottom