• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is the worst game you've ever played?

Whenever this topic comes up I can't help but think Bravely Default. Of course it's not actually the worst game I've ever played (it's a pretty competent game, mechanically speaking), but I was so excited about it (I pre-ordered the stupid special edition and everything) and when it came out I was so utterly disappointed by the awkward fanservice, awful "plot twists" you can see coming from a mile away, and the terrible, just terrible and lazy second half of the game that I can't help but feel like I've never played anything worse. I know it's not the case, but it somehow feels that way.

I post this game game quite frequently on these types of threads. I absolutely hate this game and it was one of the worst games I've ever played. I've never seen anyone else on here who has ever played this game before either.

68861-perfect-weapon-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Tron: Evolution

This game gave me and my friend migraines and after we cleared it we both went home and went straight to bed.

I hate Tron: Evolution.

J3ffro

So many NES games. More modern? Probably the couple EDF games I've played with friends and regretted almost all the time I spent in them.

That piece of shit Simpsons game on NES always sticks out when people ask this question, but I'm pretty sure I played worse on NES or Atari.

QOPNa43.jpg

I guess it sticks out because I was a huge Simpsons fan as a kid so I stuck to it and kept playing it. Or trying to anyways.
I hated that game and it made me sad as a big fan of the show. I couldn't make it past some awful jump in the mall involving wet cement. It was such an unfun and overly frustrating experience. Made me glad I only rented.

Discovering the konami arcade game at a mini golf place all of a sudden made up for it though. That was a cool use of the license.

L Thammy

Lover Boy (arcade)

it's a maze game kinda like pac-man, except
- no dots
- the ghosts are policemen instead
- you're a naked man with his wiener swinging as he runs
- you try and catch women who have word bubbles with "help" and "no" above them

when you catch them, it brings up a sex minigame and if you time it right, you can fill their love meter. So you basically avoid the cops as you rape women until they love you. That's fucked up.

Sounds like you might enjoy games by Studio S!

I really hope you don't enjoy games by Studio S. Also I'm not sure I got their names right. The guys who made Strip Fighter IV and V.

History Channel: Battle for the Pacific on PS2.

I bought it because I was (and still am) a huge history nerd and hey, History Channel!

Instead I got a game with terrible graphics, really bad AI, and just really baffling decisions gameplay-wise.. Like reloading your gun way automatic, which is fair enough. Except reloading your rifle took some time (like 15 seconds or so) and there was no way to cancel it, so if an enemy was slicing you with their katana while you were reloading, you had no choice but to let yourself be damaged. And you couldn't get away either because you moved SO SLOW while reloading.

bjork

Sounds like you might enjoy games by Studio S!

I really hope you don't enjoy games by Studio S. Also I'm not sure I got their names right. The guys who made Strip Fighter IV and V.

Nah. I don't mind some bare ass in a video game, but I mind when the way it's presented it totally stupid or trying to be offensive.

Wagram

It's not the worst game in existence, but in my experience it has to be Fable: The Lost Chapters on Xbox 360 BC. I can't think of a single good thing to say about it.

I've played about 600 games, the first ones which come to mind are:
- The Order 1886
- Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2
- Prince of Persia the Warrior Within
- Splinter Cell Conviction
- Red Faction Armageddon
- Prototype
- Assassin's Creed 3

And there are probably more that i can't remember now.

Super Smash Bros 4. God that game is pure arse. I was let down by SFxT but nothing compares to the complete and utter waste that is Smash 4. I like Sonic '06 and can consider playing that again, Smash 4 can be sent to the sun. Smash 4 is worse than any game that is intentionally and unintentionally badly made.

Dad

61S6T6AX1HL.jpg

I've never seen anything more completely devoid of any sort of value. It's just a mountain of nihilism and despair pressed onto a CD

Jobbs

Banned
No man's sky thread?

If we're talking vs. expectatjons, it's this. There are some games that may be worse but I don't play games unless I reasonably expect them to be somewhat good.

Mraggoth

Neo Member
I can never remember what game it was but as a kid I rented this game for genesis that was pretty awful. On the back of the box it showed all these cool looking ingame things but when I played it all it was was some map and I couldn't figure out what to do. First time a game ever disappounted me.

Aaron D.

LOU3U2r.gif

Laser Blast (2600)

This Activision classic from 1982 instantly disappointed me.

See that 5-second gameplay loop up there? Yeah, that's the entire game.

Shoot three moving targets on the ground, rinse, repeat.

I literally saw everything the game had to offer in the first 10 seconds of playing.

Woof.

AudioEppa

Ride to Hell

I've always wanted to create video games after playing mgs. Basically come up with the overall story, art design, vision how I want the player movement to look like and pick what music goes good at certain parts. Leave all the fun coding stuff for other people. Playing a game like ride to hell give me hope. One day even somebody like me could make a video game when there's monstrosity like that shit being allowed to ship directly from the dumpster it was created in. And that somebody actually put money into..

Honorable Mentions.
• Damnation: This almost tied with the crap above
• Black Ops 3: Advanced Warfare was better at everything
• I Am Alive :( Why Ubisoft? Such a great concept wasted.

LordKasual

Banned
Honestly, the shittiest game is probably something so unmemorable that I forgot about it. But it might have been Ultimuh.

ultimuh-mcmlxvii-part3rxtk.png

You move to the right, bump into an enemy, then hit the button until it dies. Then you repeat. That's the entire game. You can't even die.

Look into the terrible games of my childhood and tremble.

that fucking sun is DRILLING me right now

Stoze

No man's sky thread?

If we're talking vs. expectatjons, it's this. There are some games that may be worse but I don't play games unless I reasonably expect them to be somewhat good.

I think that would be most disappointing game you've played, but yeah I get where you're coming from. I don't go out of my way to play games I'm fairly certain I'll dislike and I think most people don't either. I'm guessing that's why you see so much older games in this thread because people were either younger and took what they could get/didn't know better, because things didn't get as much coverage, or something else along those lines.

Uhhhh probably Facebreakers(EA shovelware boxing game on Wii), very bad rental

Also I played like 1 hour of Quest 64, it was so bad that it gave me a headache

Never played much shovelware games. Wait, this thread is already ruined with people not thinking hard about whatever actually bad game they at least played once, so I'll also give a shoutout to The Last of Us, actually boring game that doesn't grab the player beyond it's merely functional gameplay and great production values. The intro was some of the worst emotionally manipulative crap ever, the levels are basically fighting random enemy waves/planks and ladders while listening to dialogue and grabbing whatever shiny loot there is and the actual story is the most basic zombie apocalypse stuff ever, I have no idea how anyone that saw at least one zombie movie(or hell, a simpsons halloween episode) is impressed with that game's story

jrcbandit

Actually played would be E.T. for the Atari 2600, Raiders of the Lost Ark was pretty horrible too.

Recently, it would be Knack. Many indie games I own are Steam are likely worse but I delete those after 1-2 minutes of playing. I actually finished Knack on hard difficulty for some reason. I would have killed myself from boredom if I had played on normal difficulty, though. One caveat, Killzone Shadowfall might have been worse, but I couldn't bother playing past the first mission because I was so extremely disappointed, while I never expected much from Knack in the first place.

Kelpie

My mom was tired of me renting the same games over and over (Mario Kart & Paperboy 2) so she made me choose something new. I picked up Bebe's Kids because it had a cartoon on the cover. Oh my god it was terrible.

MCD250

Hard to say. I think I've forgotten most bad games I've played, and furthermore I don't think I've played too many to begin with.

I will say the one game I regret buying/playing is Watch_Dogs 1. Just a poor experience in most respects (though I did like the gunplay). I've heard the second one is much improved though.

I have a special sort of contempt for BioShock Infinite as well (which I'm sure some will take as an attempt at trolling, given its reception, but it honestly isn't). Though I at least didn't purchase that one.

Top Bottom