• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some improvements Peter Jackson made in the LOTR films over the books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Was Arwen's scene delivering Frodo to Rivendell in the books? When I was a kid I remember Liv Tyler rolled that clip on TRL and it got me to watch the movie.

Arwen does nothing in the books. It was another Elf who got Frodo to Rivendell. Glorfindel I think...

Zeshile

Wait a minute, there are people that actually like Tom Bombadil? He is the worst part of the books, no contest. His chapters are a drag and kill the little momentum that was finally building.

The worst part is, he's not even important later, they only bring him up one other time that I remember and just dismiss him immediately because he's useless

If someone took a trip, and spent 6 hours telling me about their layover in Tucson, it would still be less annoying than the detour that is Tom Fucking Bombadil. If I had a time machine, I would go back in time and do whatever it took to prevent the evil that is Tom Bombadil from being thrust upon this world.

Anyways, I like how they handled Boromir in the movies, but that's probably just Sean Bean being great.

Edit: Altazor gets it.

its been a while since I read the books but:

- there's more urgency in Frodo and Sam leaving the Shire. In the book Gandalf is gone for years before he returns.
- Aragorn having self doubts about being the king(good character arc) In the book he has no doubts about who he is.
-Saruman vs. Gandalf scene where he gets captured. I don't believe the book explicitly describes this.
- Theoden is more or less possessed by Saruman which makes for a great great scene. In the book Theoden is only being misled by Wyrmtongue(via Saruman).
-Less singing. There's a part in Two Towers where it's several pages of someone singing. Many other parts like that. Hard to read.
I think most of the PJ's changes didn't go against the spirit of the book at all.

Agree with all of these. Aragon's self doubt is much more interesting to me than how sure of himself he came across in the books to me.

The start of FOTR (a roughly 20 year gap between Bilbo's party, Frodo getting the ring and Frodo moving house across the Shire to Buckland iirc to finally leave would be too convoluted) recieved a needed trimming. There was a nice aspect to it (Frodo enjoying his final years in bliss and ignorance before his quest) but on screen it would have just added unnescary length.

I would also add Faramir's portrayal, and removing Tom Bombadil. Tom would again stop the flow of the story, be hard to convey on screen, and could very much come across as corny.

What should have been left in: the rampart around the Pelennor fields, it's defence, and the fiefdoms of Gondor.

aliengmr

Bombadil was mentioned, so I'll go with Aragorn.

Jackson adding a hint of reluctance to the character made him far more believable.

Almost all the adaptive choices were for the best tbh. More dramatic tension and most characters, particularly Aragorn, had added emotional depth.

Altazor

Was Arwen's scene delivering Frodo to Rivendell in the books? When I was a kid I remember Liv Tyler rolled that clip on TRL and it got me to watch the movie.

Nope, different elf - a guy called Glorfindel (which also appeared on The Silmarillion).

Arwen is barely a character in the books. I mean, she's little more than a name that gets mentioned every once in a while and then finally appears while Aragorn gets crowned.

What should have been left in: the rampart around the Pelennor fields, it's defence, and the fiefdoms of Gondor.

that, and the green ghosts (ugh) should've been about helping Aragorn retake the port of Pelargir and defeat the Corsairs of Umbar instead of being Ghosts Ex Machina that defeat the complete forces of Mordor in Pelennor. Horrible change from the books, IMHO. At least one of the ones I dislike the most.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Making the characters who aren't Frodo, Gandalf, Sam, and Gollum into actual characters with arcs and personalities and everything.

Cutting Tom Bombadil.

Intercutting the Sam/Frodo story with the Aragorn story in RotK instead of telling one and then the other.

Improvements on Tolkien?

What's next - improvements on Shakespeare?

It's not "improvements" per se, but adaptive choices to make it fit the medium better.

Tolkien also isn't in the same ballpark as Shakespeare in terms of pure storytelling either, so I don't think it's sacrilege to be able to improve on some of the stuff he didn't consider as important. Like Aragorn is basically just a symbol in the book, not an actual character.

Shaanyboi

Banned
-abandoning Tom Bombadil
-general characterization, especially with characters like Boromir
-the Scouring of the Shire is cool in concept, but only exhausting after already having gone through a 3 hour movie about the fucking apocalypse.
-Faramir

Removal of Tom Bombadil.

Nothing undermines the dramatic value of the One Ring's corruption like seeing some random guy completely ignore it's influence right at the start of the journey.

It makes sense when you realise that the first few chapters were from when he was writing a straight sequel to The Hobbit in tone and style, there's even a talking fox early on too!

EGM1966

Although I believe the novel remains superior overall - and a far better depiction of an actual journey - I do think the scriptwriters did improve a few elements:

Giving central characters like Faramir, Boromir and Aragorn more of a personality and more of an actual character arc. In the novels they're all pretty flat and stoic for the most part

Removing Tom Bombadil. I know he's beloved by some but personally I always felt the whole section with him (apart from the Barrow's Down) was at odds with the rest of the novel and felt like it had crept in from another tale. In short I just never felt he fit the mythology of Middle Earth particularly well.

Keeping the wraith riders threatening throughout until the final big battles. One of the oddities of the novel is they're the main antagonists for quite a bit then they more or less vanish save a few moments here and there and I always felt Tolkien let their sense of dread slip away in the novel

Trimming the initial period of the novel in the shire down. I get what Tolkein was going for but really it's a very, very slow start to a huge novel and I felt overindulged the Hobbits as simple but pure folk

I think the female characters - particularly Arwen - were improved simply by seeming more equal and important (dropping Glorfindel for Arwen for example makes more narrative sense to me vs a Elf who appears/disappears in the plot

I also think they made Boromir work better for me as a character - although a lot of that was Bean's quite excellent performance

So to my surprise there were elements that felt improved.

They fucked over The Hobbit though which should never have become the over-padded epic they turned it into to manufacture another trilogy of high revenue films.

They are 2 different mediums so I don't think an adaptation is there to improve on anything. The context is too different to say if something in the movie would have worked better in the book.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Less singing and poetry helps a lot. I hated it popping up in the third film.

Obviously Bombadill is great, but woulda played odd on film.

I think they added some effective characterization for both Aragon and Borimir as well.

Giving Legolas and Gimli more to do. They really don't do much of anything in the books, which is annoying as the only non-humans in the group (since Hobbits aren't human, but are more relatable than the men, who behave more like medieval humans).
I thought Hobbits were classified as men?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Faramir.
Eowyn.
Aragorn.
Boromir.
Arwen and Aragorn Romance inspired from beren(?).
The ring as an agent.
Sauron as an eye.
Frodo seeming same age as sam.
No random destroying of shire.
Making arwen save frodo not another random character.

Xe4

Banned
Along with what others have said, I like how Faramir got more character in relation to his struggle to live up to Borimir and fight the corruption of the ring. In the books he just sees it as no big deal, and it kind of removes any tension from the Faramir scenes. The movies did it much better.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Along with what others have said, I like how Faramir got more character in relation to his struggle to live up to Borimir and fight the corruption of the ring. In the books he just sees it as no big deal, and it kind of removes any tension from the Faramir scenes. The movies did it much better.

Yup. It completely undermines the threat of the ring. Especially frodos struggle at the end. A

lso makes it magical resistance instead of something about character. He showed his quality in a way that even Boromir couldn't.

Jedi2016

Tom fucking Bombadil. Huge fan of the books, never liked that guy and how everything screeches into a halt when he appears. Best thing about him was saving the hobbits from the Barrow Wights, but that's it.
It's the little things like the Barrow-Downs that get lost, though. They should have left those in and then figured out another way of getting them out without using Bombadil.

The book made a point that the only reason Merry was able to hurt the Witch-King was that the sword he used came from those graves in the North, and were specifically crafted to fight against Angmar:

J.R.R. Tolkien said:
No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will.

In the film, he's somehow able to deal a similar blow to the otherwise untouchable Witch-King with just a normal knife.

I also would have liked to have seen the Scouring of the Shire, but I understand why they took it out.

Tom Bombadil is the most weird character in the books. He is described as being powerful enough to end it right then and there, but through a hedonistic and selfish lens, he "ain't got time for dat" styled it. I wonder what Tolkien was trying to say with this character, because it really is a departure from the story. It's like a side story. A spin off.

Symbolically what does his part and indifference towards the end of the world mean? Is it supposed to be a bit like the elfs, where immortality just makes you an arrogant dick who sees mortals as mayflies repeating the same shit over and over again?

Tom Bombadil is the most weird character in the books. He is described as being powerful enough to end it right then and there, but through a hedonistic and selfish lens, he "ain't got time for dat" styled it. I wonder what Tolkien was trying to say with this character, because it really is a departure from the story. It's like a side story. A spin off.

I always thought he was a representation of Eru Ilúvatar. The ring had no effect on him.

The opening of fellowship for sure. Though moreso that the elongated prologue before they leave for Bree sound never have played in a film. The stuff with Faramir as mentioned. They did definitely screw up Saruman's conclusion in the theatrical, slightly less so in the removed extended scenes. And I did really miss the songs, which was one of the few good parts of the Hobbit trilogy

Platy

Symbolically what does his part and indifference towards the end of the world mean? Is it supposed to be a bit like the elfs, where immortality just makes you an arrogant dick who sees mortals as mayflies repeating the same shit over and over again?

One popular theory is that the Ring represents the corruptive power of money and capitalism so Tom Bombadil would be Tolkien version of Hippies I guess

Chumley

Banned
Removing scouring of the shire was not necessarily a positive change but he kind of had to and rejiggering the EE to fit it in would have still been impossible.

soco

as others have pointed out, removing most of the singing. Tolkien couldn't write that shit at all.

Toparaman

Banned
Almost all the adaptive choices were for the best tbh. More dramatic tension and most characters, particularly Aragorn, had added emotional depth.

Yeah, I didn't feel any emotional involvement in the books at all. I appreciate the sheer amount of world-building that Tolkien did in the books, but Jackson told the actual story of LOTR better. It helps that the movies have excellent acting performances and great music.

Hobbit though...blech. Depresses me how far Jackson has fallen. He got the tone wrong, he shouldn't have agreed to make it a trilogy, and he went overboard on CG.

Fuchsdh

Most of it?

It's a preference thing, but I just think that unless you're someone who likes getting told a lot of backstory, the ability for films to put it on screen and give you that information without words is really invaluable.

Also, intercutting between Frodo's party and Aragorn's for The Return of the King. It would have been weirdly regressive cinema to show us one part of the story than backtrack to show us the other.

Jobbs

Banned
The books are an absolute slog to get through. I couldn't believe how boringly they were written. He found the fun in them.

Dead

well not really...yet
Faramir. Never understood people who thought the movies ruined the character. It was an improvement and he got a more meaningful character arc.

btrboyev

Also giving a sense of urgence.

Never understood the "THE RING IS DANGEROUS AND MUST BE DESTROYED ! ... I will come back in 10 years with more info" from the start of the book

That is how it went down in the movie as well. It was just an awkward time skip

Making it video form so I actually care.

There's also no way anyone can visualize how the movies portrayed the art and action with imagination.

post-6812-Bender-didnt-read-LOL-gif-Imgu-2VcK.gif

Black_Sun

Less singing and poetry helps a lot. I hated it popping up in the third film.

Obviously Bombadill is great, but woulda played odd on film.

I think they added some effective characterization for both Aragon and Borimir as well.

C'mon some of that stuff made the world come alive and this was epic:

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom